Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Crusader wrote:
I couldn’t give a toss about their age. Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks & Boyd could be any age you want them to be, but it won’t change the fact that they are crap at footy.

FFS, half the draft class won’t make it to 22 and it won’t be because 18 clubs have failed to develop them. It’ll be because they’ve been weighed and measured and tested ad nauseum since they were 15, and they’ve been found wanting.

If they aren’t any good, you’ve got to turn them over.

I haven’t forgotten where we’ve come from, but I do wonder if you might be deluded as to where we are. We’re a habitual bottom six club that’s hoping to improve our lot by changing half a dozen names.

That's a very half glass empty assessment. I prefer BB's. :fight:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:31 am 
Rod Ashman

Crusader wrote:
So we can agree then, that Mirkov is a project who’s presence, for 2022 at least, isn’t going to impact the AFL team’s prospects?

Can we also agree that supporter expectations for Cuningham, Marchbank, Docherty & Philp to rise like Lazarus from their ailments and play more than 20 games between them are a fair way removed from reality?

Since we’re in an agreeable frame of mind, let’s also exchange nods of acknowledgment towards the realisation that if Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks and Boyd are featuring in the AFL side, then things have gone horribly wrong.

As I stated, a quarter of the list, for one reason or another, is unusable.

I get Docherty's return is unknown but Cunningham, Marchbank and Philp. When are they expected to be back playing at some level and then add 4 weeks to get back to the seniors. Where does that put their potential return, assuming form warrants selection?

Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:10 am 
Wayne Johnston

Crusader wrote:
So we can agree then, that Mirkov is a project who’s presence, for 2022 at least, isn’t going to impact the AFL team’s prospects?

Can we also agree that supporter expectations for Cuningham, Marchbank, Docherty & Philp to rise like Lazarus from their ailments and play more than 20 games between them are a fair way removed from reality?

Since we’re in an agreeable frame of mind, let’s also exchange nods of acknowledgment towards the realisation that if Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks and Boyd are featuring in the AFL side, then things have gone horribly wrong.

Maybe they’ll all build form and construct a winning culture with all the younger players like Mirkov in the VFL team that will then come through to the seniors in 2023?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:11 am 
Wayne Johnston

Crusader wrote:

Do you really want us to go to the draft for eight more players?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

carntheblues wrote:
Crusader wrote:

I get Docherty's return is unknown but Cunningham, Marchbank and Philp. When are they expected to be back playing at some level and then add 4 weeks to get back to the seniors. Where does that put their potential return, assuming form warrants selection?

Cuningham’s ongoing hamstring issues, having removed a piece of them to repair his knee, are a foregone conclusion.
Philp has to learn how to run again.
Marchbank has played a couple of reduced-capacity scratch matches in the last two and a half years. His constitution is just super, yet he’s the one that I’m most confident about.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but we’ll never have a list of 37 guys who are all ready to impact at AFL level. No club has that. All clubs have 18-19 year olds, category B rookies and players returning from LTIs. You hope that a few might pop up and contribute at AFL level, but generally you’re getting them ready for the following year.

You seem to be bemoaning that we don’t have enough players who can contribute at AFL level in 2022, yet you want us to take half a dozen more picks in the national draft and the rookie draft. Realistically, a bunch of late picks in this year’s drafts will not improve our list. Perhaps we could have cut Setterfield, Cottrell, Parks etc - but you’d be replacing them with this year’s equivalent of O’Shea and Mullett. Next year may be a better year to take a later pick or two because the state and junior leagues should be back to normal.

Our list isn’t perfect but I’m glad we didn’t cut any deeper than we did this time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

sinbagger wrote:
Crusader wrote:

That’s where they have to come from.

The real question is what do those five lumps of flotsam add to the side?

As hard as I try, the only two I can find anything unique about are Boyd, who serves as a constant reminder to everyone how easily they can be replaced; and Cottrell, who might offer a fair contest for Walshy in a foot race around Princes Park.

Meanwhile we’re scraping the barrel for another clutch full of supplemental additions and 12 months further removed from any sort of contingency should Harry, Weitering or Jones miss significant time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

We may have a surprise extra spot on our list.
Channel 7 news ran with a story of a Carlton player who is refusing to be vaccinated.
No name mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

kezza wrote:
Channel 7 news ran with a story of a Carlton player who is refusing to be vaccinated.
No name mentioned.

Shit , i hope its one of the also rans .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mickstar wrote:
kezza wrote:
No name mentioned.

Was it definitely the men's team?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

CFC8795 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
kezza wrote:
No name mentioned.

Was it definitely the men's team?

Yes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Did they run the story with footage of Carlton players?

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sounds like someone got the good mail backwards…

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:53 pm 
Robert Walls

GWS wrote:
Sounds like someone got the good mail backwards…

:clap:

while listening to SEN and drinking an orange juice backwards

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Crusader wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Crusader wrote:

That’s where they have to come from.

The real question is what do those five lumps of flotsam add to the side?

As hard as I try, the only two I can find anything unique about are Boyd, who serves as a constant reminder to everyone how easily they can be replaced; and Cottrell, who might offer a fair contest for Walshy in a foot race around Princes Park.

Meanwhile we’re scraping the barrel for another clutch full of supplemental additions and 12 months further removed from any sort of contingency should Harry, Weitering or Jones miss significant time.

So, here we are.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:23 am 
Rod McGregor

I understand the club committed to re-drafting Cottrell. But with the way our list is shaping now, the club needs to renege on this and bring in an additional key position. I think we need to draft both a young key defender and a mature one ready to go now. We just don't have enough spots on the list to persevere with Cottrell any more I wouldn't have thought.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hopefully the horse hasn’t bolted there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:33 pm 
formerly King Kenny

How many rookie picks do we have?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:46 am 
Rod Ashman

I’d be saying to Cottrell, we’re taking 2 picks in the draft and you can have Jones spot via the other draft.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:57 am 
Stephen Kernahan

DesEnglish wrote:
I’d be saying to Cottrell, we’re taking 2 picks in the draft and you can have Jones spot via the other draft.

He's being rookie drafted, is he not?
So he'll be listed after the ND and PSD take place.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next