Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Crusader wrote:
Mirkov is a project. We all hope it’ll work out, because we need to get better in the ruck, but you can’t formulate any strategy around the guy. He’s just a tool performing a task. You wouldn’t even put his name on a magnet.

:?
We needed a project ruck and Mirkov fits the bill perfectly IMHO.
How that can be portrayed as a negative is scraping the barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:26 am 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Mirkov is a project. We all hope it’ll work out, because we need to get better in the ruck, but you can’t formulate any strategy around the guy. He’s just a tool performing a task. You wouldn’t even put his name on a magnet.

:?
We needed a project ruck and Mirkov fits the bill perfectly IMHO.
How that can be portrayed as a negative is scraping the barrel.

Who says it’s a negative?

I’ve singled the bloke out as the ONLY rookie contract that makes any sense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Yeah, I'm not sure but when someone says "you can’t formulate any strategy around the guy. He’s just a tool performing a task. You wouldn’t even put his name on a magnet.", I'm not seeing that as a glowing endorsement. :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
How good can the list management be going if, for one reason or another, you can look down the list and rule a line through 25% of the names before the season starts?

Marchbank, Cuningham, Docherty & Philp.
Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks & Boyd.
Mirkov.

Why are we ruling a line through those names? I accept we might not see Docherty again (which has nothing to do with list management), but the others?

Marchbank, Cunningham, Setterfield & Philip are better than what we’d get with 4th, 5th, 6th round picks in this draft. When fit and in form, they are best 22 types. Admittedly, they have a lot of work ahead of them, but they are all under 25 and worth at least one year under the new regime.

LOB, Cottrell, Parks, Boyd & Mirkov will be rookie list players. Boyd & Mirkov have hardly played yet and LOB is talented enough to warrant a last chance as a rookie under the new coaching regime. Cottrell & Parks are line-ball and perhaps a little lucky, but with the lack of VFL in the last two years it’s been hard for guys like that to build their games. Are we better to retain a guy who has a couple of AFL preseasons under his belt or replace him with a late rookie draft selection in a year where the talent pool is heavily compromised due to a shortage of state and underage footy?

Some of the players named above won’t be with us beyond next season, but I don’t think we should be stamping their cards before preseason has even started.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks and Boyd represent five missed opportunities to cover any of the four lifetime rehabbers. None of them will be at the club in 2023.

Say what you will about SOS, indecision wasn’t one of his failings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks and Boyd represent five missed opportunities to cover any of the four lifetime rehabbers. None of them will be at the club in 2023.

Who would you replace Setterfield with in this year’s draft with an extra late pick? And who would you replace the other four with in this year’s rookie draft?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Who would you replace Setterfield with in this year’s draft with an extra late pick? And who would you replace the other four with in this year’s rookie draft?

If you’re not into any of the draft pool, even a late father/son pick like Charlie McKay, then an upgrade for Kennedy seems like good housekeeping.

With the rookie list, I’d add more talls. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure but when someone says "you can’t formulate any strategy around the guy. He’s just a tool performing a task. You wouldn’t even put his name on a magnet.", I'm not seeing that as a glowing endorsement. :grin:

By all means, pencil him in as the #1 ruck then. Make him the cornerstone of your clearance game. Put him down for 30-odd sausage rolls across the year while you’re at it. What could possibly go wrong?

There’s maybe five players at his position in the whole league that warrant any attention from outside the ruck group. The rest are just bodies to throw at the contest.

If it works, great. If not, find another one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

It has been confirmed that Kennedy and Honey will be promoted to the senior list.
So I take it we only have one selection in the draft?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
It has been confirmed that Kennedy and Honey will be promoted to the senior list.
So I take it we only have one selection in the draft?

Looks that way.

We have a balanced list even with Docherty and Cuningham not likely starters to the season.

Ridiculous to put pencil through names of players under 24yo imo.

We have taken an eternity to build this list profile, some have forgotten what that means.

MOST young guys bodies are still building up to the rigours of AFL till 24yo. Freaks make it young.

Carlton supporters forget where we have come from. We are still building.

I am happy with the list as it sits and expect injuries.

Can't wait for Doc Cuners and Marchbank to be back pressing for selection....they are better than any guess pick in rounds 3 and 4 and 5 ie bird in the hand.

New Coach. New group after injury. New season after a preseason under their belt.

Lets see where we are at before we write off new players and kids.
The flag is not there for the takling in 2022, but the Finals are.
One step at a time.

SOS was right the list would take 66 weeks to rebuild the basis of a list before targeting senior players to exact our profile, but getting them up needs good development. Give them some time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:21 am 
Craig Bradley

I couldn’t give a toss about their age. Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks & Boyd could be any age you want them to be, but it won’t change the fact that they are crap at footy.

FFS, half the draft class won’t make it to 22 and it won’t be because 18 clubs have failed to develop them. It’ll be because they’ve been weighed and measured and tested ad nauseum since they were 15, and they’ve been found wanting.

If they aren’t any good, you’ve got to turn them over.

I haven’t forgotten where we’ve come from, but I do wonder if you might be deluded as to where we are. We’re a habitual bottom six club that’s hoping to improve our lot by changing half a dozen names.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Firstly you put a line through Mirkov before we start a pre-season, stating he's just a tool performing a task and not worthy off having his name on a magnet.
And when I question it, you respond with "By all means, pencil him in as the #1 ruck then. Make him the cornerstone of your clearance game. Put him down for 30-odd sausage rolls across the year while you’re at it. What could possibly go wrong?"

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. Because I think he isn't a player with a line through his name for the year doesn't mean I think he is the cornerstone of our clearance game kicking 30 goals. That's petulant nonsense.
If he can stay fit, I believe he'll be a valuable contributor this year with the capacity to come in and play some decent footy. (FWIW, I believe he will).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

If he’s playing, Pittonet and De Koning are injured or dropped.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:

Or it’s 2024 and he’s had a solid two years of development.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Worth keeping in mind for the List Management 2024 thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:50 pm 
Robert Walls

Crusader wrote:

and therefore his form in the 2s must warrant the call up :confused:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

That’s the point. List management is not just about what will make us better next year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

That’s the point. List management is not just about what will make us better next year.

One year contract…

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:05 am 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

One year contract…

Longer term prospects usually get a short term contract initially.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:50 am 
Craig Bradley

So we can agree then, that Mirkov is a project who’s presence, for 2022 at least, isn’t going to impact the AFL team’s prospects?

Can we also agree that supporter expectations for Cuningham, Marchbank, Docherty & Philp to rise like Lazarus from their ailments and play more than 20 games between them are a fair way removed from reality?

Since we’re in an agreeable frame of mind, let’s also exchange nods of acknowledgment towards the realisation that if Setterfield, O’Brien, Cottrell, Parks and Boyd are featuring in the AFL side, then things have gone horribly wrong.

As I stated, a quarter of the list, for one reason or another, is unusable.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next