Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The Sky is falling
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:06 pm 
Bob Chitty

I wasn't at the game but I've been told by Chicken Little that the SKY is Falling......

Rack Satten!!

Post subject: Re: The Sky is falling
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

So is it just Saturn or the whole universe that's collapsing in on itself in lieu of pre-season wins?

I haven't been this disappointed since I lost the Battle of Waterloo four lifetimes ago, at least that's what I'd say if I took as much stock in bs as some posters around here.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
Ken Hands

To me it reeks of people at the Carlton Football Club becoming satisfied with what they have achieved.

Ratten - New contract and won a final. Now with the security of a 2 year contract Ratten has become comfortable in his surroundings and it has shown with his coaching this year. ( Port Adelaide and the 2nd half against Brisbane come to mind)

Judd - Has been ordinary since the birth of his child. Judd now has new priorities in his life and it is showing in his football. Judd's best is well and truly behind him.

Murphy - With the security of a 3 year contract Murphy has not looked as fit or as sharp as this time last year. Expect to see a drop off in his performance based on what he has produced so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

Holy moly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Win a premiership and some blokes will be unhappy because there's nothing to be unhappy about :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:08 pm 
formerly Virgin Blue

Roy wrote:
To me it reeks of people at the Carlton Football Club becoming satisfied with what they have achieved.

Ratten - New contract and won a final. Now with the security of a 2 year contract Ratten has become comfortable in his surroundings and it has shown with his coaching this year. ( Port Adelaide and the 2nd half against Brisbane come to mind)

Judd - Has been ordinary since the birth of his child. Judd now has new priorities in his life and it is showing in his football. Judd's best is well and truly behind him.

Murphy - With the security of a 3 year contract Murphy has not looked as fit or as sharp as this time last year. Expect to see a drop off in his performance based on what he has produced so far.

Good one for a minute there I thought u were serious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:11 pm 
Ken Hands

Sugarcane wrote:
Roy wrote:

Good one for a minute there I thought u were serious

The sky is falling in isnt it? :razz:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

isdonis.george wrote:
Win a premiership and some blokes will be unhappy because there's nothing to be unhappy about :wink:

Oh fly to the moon and you can float around in space.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 pm 
John James

blah blah its only preseasom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I wasn't worried at all until yesterday.

And the sky isn't falling.

BUT

The same players with the same deficiencies haven't improved.

And it's those guys from where the improvement needs to come if we're going to play a prelim or beyond.

If anyone at the game yesterday who felt that the likes of Armfield, Hampson, Davies were in our best 22 - then they can't seriously think we're contending this year.

The fact is that of the leading contenders, we have BY FAR the worst skill level across the board. Hawthorn would be #1, Geelong and Collingwood fairly close behind and a chasm to us.

For me, that and our reliance on Jamo to stand up are the two major worries with this team. They were there last year, and running around in a desert doesn't seem to have done much to address the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:40 am 
Geoff Southby

Im all for dismissing our indiferent PRe Season form, but the facts are that:
- Nobody from our 2010 Drafrees has stood up or shown any good signsm thus leaving our Key Defender depth non existant.
- Picking Lucas and Watson ahead of players like Talia and Darling is so far looking like a massive Wayne Hughes stuff up!!! And while Im at it, if we see our Premiership Window as opening as of this year, why would you recruit a stick thin kid who will take years to get his body AFL hardened. Simply dumb decision!!
- Rowe and Casboult havent grabbed their opportunity to cement a key forward role this pre season, again leaving the Key Forward responsibilities solely to Waite.
- The longer Ratts persists in playing bad kicks of the ball, the longer we will go without winning a flag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Happy to be proven wrong, but IMO anyone who thinks this team is capable of flirting with form and "flicking a switch" is seriously delusional. We have problems, just how serious they are remains to be seen.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 am 
Harry Vallence

Roy wrote:

youre joking, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:03 am 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
Happy to be proven wrong, but IMO anyone who thinks this team is capable of flirting with form and "flicking a switch" is seriously delusional. We have problems, just how serious they are remains to be seen.

I think feeling lighter in the legs will help clean up a lot of issues, but yes, it certainly doesn't bode well for fluidity of play if they're not getting through any touch sessions to a satisfactory level while under such strain.

Hopefully they've seen more behind close doors (ie. 95% of sessions) than we saw out there yesterday.

TomAlvin'sWig wrote:
Roy wrote:

youre joking, right?

Apparently he is.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 am 
formerly King Kenny

So look at the fourth quarter again in isolation. We stepped it up to a good standard, we went with our guns in the middle the first time all pre-season, we chased and harassed, we won the quarter and should've won by more. That's what you'll see Round 1!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 am 
Wayne Johnston

King Kenny wrote:
So look at the fourth quarter again in isolation. We stepped it up to a good standard, we went with our guns in the middle the first time all pre-season, we chased and harassed, we won the quarter and should've won by more. That's what you'll see Round 1!

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 am 
Stephen Silvagni

If we get belted by Richmond, it will be a wake up call. If we get belted by Richmond and Brisbane it will be goodnight Irene.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 am 
Robert Walls

verbs wrote:
If we get belted by Richmond, it will be a wake up call. If we get belted by Richmond and Brisbane it will be goodnight Irene.

Do you mean 'Goodnight Ratts'?

I don't think there's much chance we'll get belted by Richmond & Brisbane.
They might beat us, but if they do it won't be a belting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 am 
Garry Crane

My biggest concerns from last year remain.

1) Lack of depth in key positions
2) Burden on Judd is becoming too much
3) Poor disposal (brain fades) under pressure or in front of goal.
4) Slow coaching adjustments during the game allowing teams to get away from us.
5) Structures when kicking in from behinds or kicking into forward 50.

That being said its the pre-season so I am not too worried. Yet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:49 am 
Rod Ashman

The disappointing aspect of the pre season is that the 2nd tier players haven't stepped up and unfortunately our disposal and goal kicking is still suspect.
The up side is that with match practice fatigue has alot to do with errant disposal and with a few matches a players fitness will improve and so will their disposal.
When players aren't shufelled around and they are allowed to settle in their preferred position and we don't gel, that's when you should be alarmed.

Experienced/Elite players can flick the switch.
As i mentioned they just need match practice.
The sky isn't falling just yet give it a few rounds before the revolution.