Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:13 am 
Craig Bradley

Yes accuracy does to a certain extent paper over cracks but if BRISBANE don’t get 4 goals from dubious free kicks and we add a couple to our 9 free kicks then result is exactly the same on your scenario
I think it was apart from the usual second quarter lapse actually one of our better games with the personnel we had playing
Were without Docherty Charlie Marchbank Newman Setterfield silvagni Dow all injured and Cripps wasn’t fit and could not play the game

Maybe I’m wrong but absent Andrews who did BRISBANE have out

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:21 am 
Rod Ashman

I thought it interesting the setup around the ball when Cripps went off. Cripps likes to lead by example so maybe with him in the middle and as co-captain calling the shots we become too predictable around the ball. When he is not present others have to take control and organise the setups around the ball. Just a thought on why we seemed to get better clearances with Cripps off the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Super effort from his "best mate" marC. Most short steps for the night. Leader. Brave. Get [REDACTED] cat

Murphy was absolute crap. He has been OK for the last month or so but there is no escaping it tonight.
Missed tackles, waiting for the opponent to get the footy. Not putting his body in front of the ball and calling for easy possessions.

Marc would play one good game 3 downers. Repeat.
All of the sudden, after that one good game, Marc's supporters would come out and point out how good he was and have a go at his detractors.
No one doubted a good game when we saw it, even his detractors, like you and me.

One swallow doesn't make a summer we kept telling Marc's fans though out the year.
Its not because we dislike Marc, but because he is a liability when he doesn't have a dip.
Picking when to play, and choosing not to play, well, the latter was too regular for mine.

Conditions last night were made for Marc.
The game had some real meaning with his best mate retiring.
He didn't have a dip and he had all summer to recover in front of him.
I think Marc's checked out a while back. Last night it was obvious his family holiday on the coast had already started.

Hopefully he doesn't get to see much senior footy next year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 am 
Harry Vallence

Before we console ourselves that yesterday's 10 goals 1 behind was some kind of bonus for its accurate kicking consider that it both reveals & hides two glaring embarrassments...

"Inside 50s" (37) were our 3rd worst for the year (33 v St.K, 36 v Haw)
and in the previous 10 seasons Carlton have only had LESS inside 50's on just 10 previous occasions.
(Incidentally, Bolton's teams only produced Five results with less than 37 x inside 50s in 3 1/2 years.)

Which leads to THIS:

Only TWICE in the last 25 years has Carlton had less scoring shots in a game;
sadly they were only just last year and the year before.

But just as disappointingly, in the last 100 years only 9 games have featured LESS scoring shots than this last Rd.18, 2020 match v Brisbane.

It is thus our equal 10th Worst scoring effort in 2097 games over a Century!

We had ONE inside 50 in that lost 2nd quarter leaving our game tally 7-8 less than our season average.

If we apply a 'typical' accuracy score of say 6-5:41 and subtract 4 of the so-called 'free-kick' goals that Brisbane were awarded from their score to reduce it to 7.12:54 we would still have been comfortably beaten.

So...
the great 'accuracy' (as the builders motto goes with Paint) - "covers a multitude of sins"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Umpires gave them 6 goals from frees

4 of those frees were for charging head first into the tackler, diving....

Umpires don't know the rules and chose to ignore Steve Hockings rules, unless he told them to.

AFL rules are a farce. Bring back Australian Rules.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

frank dardew wrote:

Berry missing as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:27 am 
Ken Hunter

'Fewer', not 'less'.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:37 am 
Craig Bradley

Thanks Humpers Andrews and Berry very good and are amongst their better players but so are Charlie and Doc and if ever fit I reckon JSOS Marchbank are in our best 22 as I suspect is Newman and certainly Setterfield so I think the point holds .
In any case we can talk about umpires goal kicking missing players in the end our team has to turn up for 4 quarters every match and stop goal sprees of 4-5 unanswered goals and we win these matches
Also let’s make sure we get our best players fit Charlie Cripps H only played 13 games Marchbank etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
Yeah I'm a negative nellie at the moment and happy to own it...and won't change till I see actions

However, was I imagining it or did Willo play more of a wing role? That's his position. train it all summer...will be delivering accurtaly to the forwards and if he has an opportunity I50, has an accurate kicking style

Willo on the wing was good. Finally.
His running with freedom in space was a highlight for me.

He looks like a weapon on a wing.
Surprised me TBH.

He didn't set the world on fire, but was in my top 10 on the night.

Willo on a wing; something to think about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Thank you Simmo and Kruez. CFC legends.

Kennedy gets traded or delisted and I’m going to lose my sh1t.
Harry McKay is going to be a bloody star. Can’t say it enough.
Seriously underrated Plowman does it again.
Walsh .... all I need to say.
SPS & Cuningham need to be added in the positives.

TDK drops too many marks but he is getting his hands on it and has time to build and is only a kid.
Gibbons last month has concerned me.
Cripps needed to be rested and Teague should have pulled rank. We have been playing with 1 man down for a fair part of the year.

You better prepare yourself surrey.
Is there a dunny paper shortage at the supermarkets?
If so, line up at 7am in case.

He's good to have in reserve for wet games.

It wasn't a night for marking. Did you see the diagonal rain directly in their eyes last night.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CC1961 wrote:
Just got home.

You guys cracked me up reviewing the live game feed and seeing all those cauliflower

I thought "what's with all the vegetables?"

LOL - finally worked it out that you really meant vaginas

Sigh.

I was right next to one of the TV camera men, and I kid you NOT - even HE was yelling out "Bullshit!"

over the umpiring.

and i asked him if he was a Carlton supporter and he said "No. This umpiring is just shit!"

Funny as F-U-C-K.

Brilliant

Umpires are Cheatscheat too much at Carlton games....Steve Hocking may have something to do with that????

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 pm 
Bert Deacon

newmes and weitering kicked the ball straight to opposition with no pressure and they converted it to goals(2) .we must be the only team (highest) kicks ball straight to opponents. Think is it happens every week even in good conditions . DISGRACE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
newmes and weitering kicked the ball straight to opposition with no pressure and they converted it to goals(2) .we must be the only team (highest) kicks ball straight to opponents. Think is it happens every week even in good conditions . DISGRACE

Those 2 kicks, yep, they were disgraceful.

Amateur hour

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

Those 2 kicks, yep, they were disgraceful.

Amateur hour

To many times this season senior players let us down with bone headed skill errors - Docherty early on in the Collingwood game did an almost identical shank kick which resulted in a goal and this set a tone for the rest of the game.

Is it any wonder Teague let loose with his “flowering leaders” spray at half time - there may be some fall out over the summer - interesting to see if it amounts to anything.

:?

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Is it any wonder Teague let loose with his “flowering leaders” spray at half time - there may be some fall out over the summer - interesting to see if it amounts to anything.

:?

McGovern as captain - book with confidence.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jim wrote:
I dare say it's a game we pissed down the drain in the 2nd qtr, with help from the green glowing turds.
Great summary.

If you are a 'journo' you could submit that as the match report and have pretty much nailed it...
(I'm not joking)

Because everyone was expecting a Brisbane win, the fact that the game was ruined seemed to get ignored.
frank dardew wrote:
Yes accuracy does to a certain extent paper over cracks but if BRISBANE don’t get 4 goals from dubious free kicks and we add a couple to our 9 free kicks then result is exactly the same on your scenario
I think it was apart from the usual second quarter lapse actually one of our better games with the personnel we had playing
Were without Docherty Charlie Marchbank Newman Setterfield silvagni Dow all injured and Cripps wasn’t fit and could not play the game

As above, and I was more disappointed by the senior players and umpiring than the game itself.... Aside from not seeing Simmo again, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the youngsters...

BTW Cameron must have nightmares about Plowman

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
dane wrote:
You know the season is over yeah?

Yes Dane
I do :razz:
Just seeing if you were awake

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:17 pm 
Robert Walls

Nice how the Dawks can give their veterans a great send off.

Carlton: Killing retirements since 1997

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Juanita Jones wrote:
Nice how the Dawks can give their veterans a great send off.

Carlton: Killing retirements since 1997
Unfortunately worse than that....
Last hurrah,

With thanks to the Beast

Carlton’s 300-game players 1974-2020

John Nicholls
R17, 1974 V South Melb. - lost

Bruce Doull
GF, 1986 v Hawthorn - lost

Stephen Silvagni
SF, 2001 v Richmond - lost

Craig Bradley
R 19, 2002 v Port Adelaide - lost

Kade Simpson (342)
R 18, 2020 v Brisbane - lost

https://t.co/6VK55hyBpl

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

What did we think of McGovern in defence and Williamson on a wing? I think it’s good we tried something different. I’d like Williamson to be a bit less one sided, but perhaps he will move to a wing more permanently next year when Marchbank & Newman return to defence?

Eg. perhaps a back six next year of Plowman, Jones, Marchbank, Newman, Weitering & Docherty? With SPS & Williamson playing further up the ground?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next