Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:14 pm 
Robert Walls

DesEnglish wrote:
WTF would you drop LOB for the last game.

Yep...and bring Kennedy in now that the season is over

Bizarre selections all year...meanwhile Cripps, Doc, Cas, Murphy, Curnow, Simmo, Betts play all year pretty much

SPS passenger for most of year

Dow given his token 2 games

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:20 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

Because he was poor. He was running in quick sand.

May well be true but what about other players who've been poor (for multiple games)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

ferdinand wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
I thought Polson was a little unlucky to get dropped the first time and was fairly sure he’d be the logical HBF replacement for Doc. Kennedy for Setterfield makes sense, as does Martin for Fisher.

Pittonet for O’Brien is a head scratcher though, despite O’Brien looking underdone last week.

Agree with that. I thought Polson showed more than Dow or LOB in their brief appearances. Faint praise I guess.

Polson did show more than Dow and Lob however I dont think we will see much more from Polson and Lob and Dow have more upside.

With regards to Lob and Dow we either:

a/ SOS was wrong and they are not top 10 selections
b/ Our development is poor
c/ They dont have the hunger to improve
d/ Need more development

After 3 years in the system our return for 2 top 10 selections to date has been a flop.

Would have liked to see Philp or Honey get a go in the last.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
Polson must have compromising photo's of someone.

Cottrell, Philp, Owies or Honey over Polson any day of the year.

Regards Cazzesman

Agreed.

By the way, is Cottrell ‘safe’ from being delisted? It would be quite remarkable if his match winning mark/goal/celebration was his last act in AFL football.

He is rough around the edges
But he is what we need
A runner with some mongrel in him

This

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:08 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think LOB has played his last game for us.
Those on here who have been critical of him are correct. Those on here who have defended him are also correct.
He is in limbo. He has the skills but hasn't had the chance to show them or develop them, certainly this season. As a result, he is open to justified criticism. If he is delisted, he may get picked up by a club that likes to run and carry and needs an outside player with a huge tank. Plus, there are a couple of clubs on serious rebuilds that can't just rely on the draft. He might go to North, fort example. Or even StK, which is higher on the ladder than us but plays a style more suited to LOB. They could use him at Hawthorn but I don't think he would pass the sniper test.

Kennedy is safe, I think. He is pretty versatile and can play midfield or forward. His possessions forward are damaging. He needs to get more of it in the midfield, though. I can't understand why he has been left out so much when the #11 is offering us absolutely nothing.

Speaking of the #11, I can't understand why McGovern is still playing. My suspicion for this week is that he will go to the backline and Kennedy will play his HFF role. Martin for Fisher and Polson for his last chance.

Pittonet is the big query. I can only think that if McGovern goes back, they are thinking of playing TDK as a permanent forward or that Levi is in doubt. It's a strange one. Brisbane has been marking everything in their defensive fifty all year so maybe they want an extra tall. I would think that going small and not bombing it in would be an option.

Regardless, Teague has picked a team he thinks can win using his game plan. I hope it's the Dog's version of the plan and not the usual version of slow down the line chippy chippy until the opposition defence has had a chance to set up and then bomb it long to 45 metres out.

We know one thing. Simmo will give his customary 100%

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I would be exceptionally surprised if LOB left.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

dane wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing your reasons for that, maybe in his thread.
I think he has something to offer but he doesn't fit the current game plan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:24 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
dane wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing your reasons for that, maybe in his thread.
I think he has something to offer but he doesn't fit the current game plan.

Contracted to the end of next season. I would also be surprised if he’s not on the list in 2021.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:27 am 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

Because he was poor. He was running in quick sand.

May well be true but what about other players who've been poor (for multiple games)?

How about some time to adjust to the change in intensity. He’s played all year in scratch matches and now he’s getting dropped for a dead rubber.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

If O'Brien wasn't contracted, I'd be amazed if he was retained. His ball use is overrated, he has tried hard to improve his physical intent but it's not natural to him. He's a talented athlete struggling with the physical requirements of the game.
He's another one of SOS' speculative picks. Trying to be too smart instead of playing the percentages with his selections. Too many of his recent selections (not talking about O'Brien) have been kids who missed championship selections or they're picks that are considered somewhat surprise selections. It's as if he's tried to prove a point but it's a huge gamble with the future of the club. If kids aren't selected for rep teams, it's usually for a good reason.

Getting back to the thread, I think the omissions and selections are reasonable. I don't rate Polson but he's the best performed small defender outside of last weeks 22 so he had to come in. I want Kennedy to get a prove himself with a decent run in the midfield. If he doesn't perform today, he's quite possibly gone as well.
We're obviously hoping to stretch the Brisbane defence but we'll have to be smarter with Pittonets role. He has to do the majority of the ruck work and rest on the bench. He was terrible as a resting forward a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:00 am 
Rod Ashman

Does anyone think we are a chance today?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:17 am 
Bob Chitty

CFC8795 wrote:

A 10 point win...
Or a 10 goal loss.
We are fully capable of either outcome today.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CFC8795 wrote:

I always think we're a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 am 
John James

After what was dished up the past 4 weeks there are better ways to spend a few hours. Instead, I plan to have some "dished up" authentic and fresh delights at our favourite local Beijing restaurant. For all those that do watch, I hope for a good send off for Simmo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:40 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:

I always think we're a chance.

I agree too.

We all have Navy Blue Hearts - I don't believe any of us has ever fully written off a game before it began.

More than any other club we have shown we can win when least expected.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:06 am 
Bert Deacon

Blue4ever wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
I thought Polson was a little unlucky to get dropped the first time and was fairly sure he’d be the logical HBF replacement for Doc. Kennedy for Setterfield makes sense, as does Martin for Fisher.

Pittonet for O’Brien is a head scratcher though, despite O’Brien looking underdone last week.

Agree with that. I thought Polson showed more than Dow or LOB in their brief appearances. Faint praise I guess.

Polson did show more than Dow and Lob however I dont think we will see much more from Polson and Lob and Dow have more upside.

With regards to Lob and Dow we either:

a/ SOS was wrong and they are not top 10 selections
b/ Our development is poor
c/ They dont have the hunger to improve
d/ Need more development
e/ All of the above ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:43 am 
Ken Hunter

CFC8795 wrote:

We’re a big chance.

Ed will run with Neil.
Our backline can handle Brisbane’s forward line.
Make sure Zorko is also looked after and bring our pressure through the midfield and we are on the way.
Finally, we need our forward line to function. This is the key today. We have 3 big fellas, they need to work together with Harry deep and stay deep.
BV is right, Pittonett should not play forward at all. Rest bench.
My concern is McGovern......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm shocked to see McGovern selected.
I've lost a bit of respect for Teaguey for this: gutless and inconsistent with his selection philosophy.

I think we can win.
Last year's win was one of the most euphoric wins I have ever witnessed live.
Crippa was huge.

So, again, if Crippa is banged up and doesn't bring a similar performance as last year's win then someone else has to stand up in the middle, and it wont be Setterfield.

The inspiration for the win tonight is SIMMO. He is the only reason I think we can get up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
He's another one of SOS' speculative picks. Trying to be too smart instead of playing the percentages with his selections. Too many of his recent selections (not talking about O'Brien) have been kids who missed championship selections or they're picks that are considered somewhat surprise selections. It's as if he's tried to prove a point but it's a huge gamble with the future of the club. If kids aren't selected for rep teams, it's usually for a good reason.

You might be right BV however I think both Philp and Stocker are promising young players. My understanding is that Richmond would have taken Philp with the next selection. Stocker showed his talent last year and hopefully he can have a good preseason. As far as O'Brien is concerned I think he was probably considered a "safer" option than Ed Richards (didn't play rep footy) or Bonar (injury history).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:02 am 
Rod Ashman

rhino27 wrote:
The fact Gov gets selected proves beyond any shadow of doubt that we have no standards. Totally accepting of laziness and mediocrity.

:clap:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next