Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Did anyone pinch themselves at half time thinking the nightmare of the 1st quarter was behind us but wasn't?

Did you tell yourself. this can't be real.?

Gobsmacked?

Did you think keogh was right about something?
Did you think about McAdam and McGoverne trade, once, less than 6 more than 10?

Did you see favourite players and locks make mistake after mistake?
Were you disappointed in some players more than others?

If you did have some emotional twitch to the above, then maybe the club did/does too.
You just hope they know all the stuff we talk about, and if so, that's the good to come from all this inconsistency.

No guarantee we would've used that pick to get McAdam. Gov has a bloody lot to make up for though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:28 pm 
Bob Chitty

WOW wrote:
The most important things I wanted to see this year was a marked improvement in our second tier running/midfield players such as Dow, O’Brien, Cunningham, Fisher, SPS & Setterfield.

Apart from Setterfield, it just has not eventuated.

Our rebuild will be a failure if they don’t start improving quickly.

If you are going to hang your hat on rebuilding through early and more picks through the draft, then we have failed if these players don’t develop to the standard expected to win premierships.

Yep, this is a big concern.

We continue to roll out the same midfield of Cripps, Ed, Murphy and Setters. We’ve only really seen Walsh in there, as opposed to on the wing, in the last few weeks. Cunners got one game against Essendon* in the middle and that was it.

Walsh has been phenomenal. Setters has improved a lot this year.

But then what?
Dow has played 3 games and shown little. Injuries haven’t helped.
LOB has played 1 game and doesn’t look up to it at the moment.
Stocker has not played this year. Unfortunately has left the hub and wish him the best. However, he wasn’t given a look in during the pre-season and wasn’t ever an emergency before the left the hub.
Cunners has had once chance on the ball and that’s it. Despite us calling out for speed in there.
SPS hasn’t had one opportunity in there this year.
Ditto Fisher who is now a small forward.
Kennedy got a chance but he’s too similar to many of the slower contested types who are ahead of him (Cripps, Ed and Setters).

A big outlay at the draft for not a lot of midfield return. We enter 2021 with less confidence in our young mids than we had entering this year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
london blue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Weiters , Cripps Walsh Harry and Charlie Curnow are about the only players we should bother keeping.
The rest I wouldn't care if they were on the list next year.
And seriously if Levi and McGovern line up round 1 next year we are going no where.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not far off....I’d add TDK and Setterfield who has got his hands on the ball this year
I will give you those 2 but seriously would we really miss any of the others.
Imagine if Murphy Simpson Curnow and Levi actually got upset when they lost.
They would be sitting in a padded room with dribble coming out of the corners of their mouth.

Losing doesn't matter to these blokes . Never has never will.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

But its fixable.
Demote them.

Charlie Marchbank Kemp ready to step up, and Honey and Philp look hungry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I didn't log in during the game and I will wait to see what Bondi and CC say before I make a contribution to the thread.

My wife's uncle watched the game with me. He's 65 and has never seen a game of AFL before but has played and watched soccer all his life.
These were his comments at half time:

He has given himself a hard angle (McKay's first shot for goal from the boundary)
Carlton players have no urgency.
They are not playing with intent.
Adelaide players are trying harder.
They are playing like their positions on the table are reversed.
Why is the defence not playing in the defensive half?
When Murphy picked out the Adelaide player between two Carlton players:
What was that? It was an easy pass and he missed it?

In the second half:
Why didn't they play like this before? They are winning.

Teague can't see it.
Barker can't seeit.
The players can't see it.
We can see it.
A Mexican with zero knowledge of the game can see it.

There was certainly a lack of willingness to compete in the first half; no desperation. We were sitting back and waiting for things to happen. A really soft half of football by us and our ball use was terrible. At one stage disposal efficiency was under 30%. Not going to win anything when your ball use is that poor.
I am pretty sure Teague and the rest of the coaching staff can see it but are not on the ground to influence it, hence why it takes a rev at half time to change their effort.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

I don't have an issue with Murphy and Simpson chairing Gibbs off. They're good mates and went through a lot together, fair enough.

The issue for me is the smiles on their faces as they do it, as though what just transpired was just forgotten.

Murphy, Simpson, Betts and Barker are the final reminders of the 'near enough is good enough' era, which is a poison that needs to be extracted from the club.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Did anyone pinch themselves at half time thinking the nightmare of the 1st quarter was behind us but wasn't?

Did you tell yourself. this can't be real.?

Gobsmacked?

Did you think keogh was right about something?
Did you think about McAdam and McGoverne trade, once, less than 6 more than 10?

Did you see favourite players and locks make mistake after mistake?
Were you disappointed in some players more than others?

If you did have some emotional twitch to the above, then maybe the club did/does too.
You just hope they know all the stuff we talk about, and if so, that's the good to come from all this inconsistency.

No guarantee we would've used that pick to get McAdam. Gov has a bloody lot to make up for though.

That's true jim

But the sum is straight forward. These are learnings for the club you would hope.
In the future we may feel from rridding ourselves of Gov for a 3rd rounder, (whilst we couldn't do worse than him in current form), and that 3rd rounder may be a gem. ask keogh, I'm with him on that, but the penny just dropped for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
I don't have an issue with Murphy and Simpson chairing Gibbs off. They're good mates and went through a lot together, fair enough.

The issue for me is the smiles on their faces as they do it, as though what just transpired was just forgotten.

Murphy, Simpson, Betts and Barker are the final reminders of the 'near enough is good enough' era, which is a poison that needs to be extracted from the club.

:thumbsup:

I watched it with a Sports Psych and he thought it was great sportsmanship. He isn't a Carlton supporter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

deano35 wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
Have a look at these @#$%&! cauliflower. Everyone smiling. Hugging the other team. Led by @#$%&! Cripps. It means nothing to them. He's everything that's wrong with the club. Blasè attitude. No killer instinct. More interested in being the nice guy. They were more interested in blowing smoke up Gibbs arsehole than winning the @#$%&! game. Absolutely disgusting

Simpson and Murphy chair him off spare me. That is everything that is wrong with this club now and for the last 15 years.
Simpson and Murphy need to be told BUT Mr Nice Guy won't because we are a boys club with a loser mentality with absolutely no ruthlessness anywhere in our club.

We need to get rid of the dead wood and losing culture !! Gibbs , Murphy , simmo , Kruser a part of the worst losing history in our club and Simmo and Murphy need to be cut immediately

We have Kruger retiring and nothing for him , who is still on our list , and our season on the line !!
But no , we are hugging Gibbs before the game and on top of that , the bottom side wins 3 games in a row and we can’t even do that

Simmo and Murphy( he let sholl kick 2 goals on him ) leave with Kruser !!

And don’t get me started on Liam Jones and why Docherty played today !!

I can’t wait for josh Kennedy from eagles to kick 15 on us and then retire and we carry him off also

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Selecting Docherty with a knowing he has a twinge in his calf, and continuing to play a lame Lachie OBrien isn't really setting them up to succeed.

Bad decision by ???????

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

WOW wrote:
The most important things I wanted to see this year was a marked improvement in our second tier running/midfield players such as Dow, O’Brien, Cunningham, Fisher, SPS & Setterfield.

If you are going to hang your hat on rebuilding through early and more picks through the draft, then we have failed if these players don’t develop to the standard expected to win premierships.

The MC picked three ins that are ground level players. LOB is an endurance freak with a great left leg. It was obvious to me from the selection that we were going to run the ball through the middle.
Did they use LOB's strengths?
No.
Did they play Gibbo in the mid field where he has played his best footy for us?
No.
Did Eddie have space to move around in in the F50?
No.

So why flowering pick them?

LOB will be dropped because he didn't rack up possessions in a chippy chippy down the line for almost three quarters that doesn't suit his skillset. He had a few possies late and when he took that one hander I said to my wife's uncle,
"This boy is a beautiful kick. This will be a goal."
SPS was back to his 14 metre passes sideways this week except for a few times he tried to penetrate and it came off but he will probably be remembered for getting caught HTB in the last five minutes when he was trying to break the lines.
Willo has such a beautiful left foot but how many times did he use it to create aopportunities through the centre. Even on the TV I could see they are not allowed to do it. Two players alone in the centre of the ground and he just followed the team plan of chippy chippy or long down the boundary.

Where is the team that ran Geelong off its feet?
Where is the team that ran the Dogs ragged?

The expectation of most of us was that a 10-12 finish would be a good result for the year but they showed us in those early games that they had the capacity to beat the good teams and actually make a statement and finish inside the eight. I think that's why we are all so pissed off now is that we know they are good enough, all they have to do is turn up and play four quarters of attacking footy. But they have gone back to the BB/MM game plan that is twenty years out of date. It's OK to do it when you are trying to control the tempo of the game for a few minutes but it should be plan B to stop a five goal run by the other team and not the only way you attack the goals.

Last edited by Blue Sombrero on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Bradley

redback wrote:
jim wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:
Come back Gibbsy, we’ve got a minimum 16 vacancies!

Yet again, another (dis)honourable loss.

Yet again, a quarter and a bit of decent footy, the rest insipid, bruise free ball watching

Yet another unanswered 6-7 goal deficit allowed to occur before the team wakes up

Yet again zero tactical changes made by the coaching staff during gameplay

Yet again another match peppered with deplorable butchering of F50 entries

Yet again second to the ball, falling over on the spot, zero second efforts

Yet again no discernible structure, no hunger for the contest and far too many passengers

Does the Teague Train come with a 12 month manufacturer’s warranty? Not convinced by a long shot :mad:

Teague has years of shit to turn around. Was never happening in a season. 13-14 is a massive improvement on the previous 4-40. Just so much horrible shit that has to be turned around. He does need the side to take a step to finals next year though. Been similar to Ratten's first year.

He has had multiple opportunities to make statements and start to change the culture but has failed miserably, too late now. He needs to make a statement with who stays and who goes then keep going. First full year now so he needs to learn fast and and react faster.

We'll know in a couple of years about the culture. If you expected that to be changed in such a short time you are dreaming. Really dreaming. God knows how many years it took Hardwick at Richmond to change those years of horrible culture.

7 wins, doubt it'll be 8, is about 9.25 wins in a normal year. We'd have taken that at the start of the year. The culture and mental aspects has cost us finals this year. I'd leave that in no doubt, and it is really frustrating. 13-14 though is alot better than the previous 4-40. Those other aspects have alot of work ahead though otherwise we'll hit a massive roadblock. Get those right and the physical aspects will be more like the we showed in the Bulldogs game as they'll be great commitment. Years of a losing culture is really turned around in a year though. That's the next test.

7 wins this sounded sounded good at the start but now feels an under-achievement.

Alex Jesaulenko

1 goal in the first half of football

Robert Walls

CFC8795 wrote:
Ffs I hope they show up next week.
The Lions game has 'cricket score' written all over it :cry:

Does it matter...would rather we get belted and go into the pre-season with no false dawns/optimism. I want the entire organisation under the blowtorch all summer and then I want to see how they react come round 1 next year

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Players don't seem to give a shit about the jumper...or they pick and choose to give a shit.

Today was absolutely galling and gut wrenching as a member and lover of this once mighty club

Teague has 23 games to turn it around otherwise he can join the list of failed Carlton coaching appointments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:43 pm 
Bert Deacon

our game plan ,no other team in afl kicks more to the opposition more than we do i hope there is a stat .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:

It's been happening too often Bondi ....... whether it's in the first half or second half.
There's no ,,,,,, there's NOTHING

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I was really hopeful at half time when the difference was 44 points.
Dejavu

yeah nah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Sombrero wrote:
WOW wrote:

The MC picked three ins that are ground level players. LOB is an endurance freak with a great left leg. It was obvious to me from the selection that we were going to run the ball through the middle.
Did they use LOB's strengths?
No.
Did they play Gibbo in the mid field where he has played his best footy for us?
No.
Did Eddie have space to move around in in the F50?
No.

So why flowering pick them?

LOB will be dropped because he didn't rack up possessions in a chippy chippy down the line for almost three quarters that doesn't suit his skillset. He had a few possies late and when he took that one hander I said to my wife's uncle,
"This boy is a beautiful kick. This will be a goal."
SPS was back to his 14 metre passes sideways this week except for a few times he tried to penetrate and it came off but he will probably be remembered for getting caught HTB in the last five minutes when he was trying to break the lines.
Willo has such a beautiful left foot but how many times did he use it to create aopportunities through the centre. Even on the TV I could see they are not allowed to do it. Two players alone in the centre of the ground and he just followed the team plan of chippy chippy or long down the boundary.

Where is the team that ran Geelong off its feet?
Where is the team that ran the Dogs ragged?

The expectation of most of us was that a 10-12 finish would be a good result for the year but they showed us in those early games that they had the capacity to beat the good teams and actually make a statement and finish inside the eight. I think that's why we are all so pissed off now is that we know they are good enough, all they have to do is turn up and play four quarters of attacking footy. But they have gone back to the BB/MM game plan that is twenty years out of date. It's OK to do it when you are trying to control the tempo of the game for a few minutes but it should be plan B to stop a five goal run by the other team and not the only way you attack the goals.

The equivalent of about 9.25 wins in a normal season, unless we fluke next week. Taken that at the time but now, gee, it could've been better.

Harry Vallence

Footscray doing exactly what Carlton needed to today: half time 48-8

Sigh...

Carlton were beaten only by Themselves this year.

Last edited by CC1961 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Kernahan

Navy One wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

It's been happening too often Bondi ....... whether it's in the first half or second half.
There's no ,,,,,, there's NOTHING

Or the middle half.

Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
I was really hopeful at half time when the difference was 44 points.
Dejavu

yeah nah

Different crew ...... different times
..... then there was Barassi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next