Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

My Outs for this prematch were...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36991&start=26

Cripps, Betts, Williamson, Cottrell.
They only picked one of my 'Ins' - TDK.

Cottrell was shite apart from the match winning goal, his decision making and execution were dismal and only had 6 touches - 4 were ineffective.

Still seeing too many errors from Williamson despite his 13 touches.

I'm putting it out there right now: Sam Walsh will be Carlton's next Brownlow Medallist.

Wow. indispensable.

I can't get past liking McGovern for being a tall forward option; the only 'fix' I can see for him is to point to a specific spot in the 50m arc and tell him to run straight to it whenever the ball comes forward no matter what else is happening. He has no other 'pack sense' so this is the only strategy that could work.
The boys can then make a decision as to whether he is in space and then kick it to him.

Cripps is still too hot & cold. Whose heart wasn't in their mouth when he took that shot?
Sheesh.
Too late to drop/rest him now.

Docherty was solid, Simpson is a legend.

Murphy is an effing total WORRY.

Fisher has flashes of brilliance and is an integral cog when we're dominating.

Love Martin, but he was asleep today.

TDK absolutely vindicated 'my' selection and I think was much more effective than Pittonet has been recently.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 am 
Rod Ashman

Don’t sell yourself short CC, you also had Plowman as an IN.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
I am 100 % convinced after a backing him since we recruited him because of what he can do physically but he should take a back seat for the rest of the year.

He should know he finishes the season without a spot in the first 22 and that's with Curnow Marchbank Kemp Silvagni are out injured.

Gov needs to be dropped.

What a shit sentence.

Adelaide next week ... maybe Gov stays.

Teague Betts Gov all ex Crows. Maybe Teague stays too. He can wear Gov's boots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy One wrote:
We're just lucky that they didn't kick the first 8 goals :smile:

Good defense stopped them :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:11 am 
Bruce Doull

TDK really arrived tonight. What a game

Mcgovern, I just thought he got rushed back into the side too early. That 4 weeks or whatever it was that he was out, pretty sure he didn't play any in the 2s?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Let's not get carried away, people. The win was fantastic as a morale booster and learning tool for the boys but the reality is we won despite the game plan and not because of it. Against a decent team, we would have lost by the original seven goals at best.
We ask our players to run hard both ways and that's fine but both ends go too high. We are susceptible week after week to goals out the back or through the corridor when the opposition runs the ball and breaks the lines.
Going the other way, we don't have an open forward line because all our forwards are too high and the opposition usually outnumbers us because they refuse to follow their men all the way up the ground.
Harry is an athletic beast but he can't be getting possessions on the wing and then expecting to get back for the F50 entry.

Pros from tonight's game:
They didn't give up and that is huge. It would have been so easy to just run up the white flag.
TDK. I commented on his game at three quarter time. He was enormous at the stoppages with his ruckwork and followup efforts. The last he was even better.
Walsh
SPS was more visible as was Fisher in bursts. Fisher wasn't afraid to gain yards with the ball in hand.
Weiters was very good.
Simmo, Plow, Willo and Jones finished off a good defensive effort.
Murphy was solid without being good.
Cripps started slowly but hada better game than he has had for weeks.

Cons:
Too many ordinary performances. Owies, McGovern, Cotterell, Setterfield (apart from his pressure acts) Levi overall despite getting a few possies and kicking a goal, Cunningham unsighted. Martin before getting injured.
Kicking for goal has cost us big time this season.
No obvious mid to forward fifty system.
Week after week we allow the opposition defence to take uncontested marks inside our F50. Tonight was no exception.

I'll take the win of course but I am very disappointed with the way we let them get away at the start.

Adelaide next week. They have their tails up and we usually don't win two on the trot. Danger game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
I’m still not convinced SPS played midfield today.

Noice one cecil.

Yep he played HB
His man took him right uo into our forward 50. I don't see that on that map.

Just looked it was outside 50 a few times.

He was certainly on his toes tonight.
Had a spring about him.
Maybe he was told he might be trade bait for Effenden if he didnt look interested in playing not watching

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 am 
Harry Vallence

cecil89 wrote:
Don’t sell yourself short CC, you also had Plowman as an IN.

Ha! Thanks @cecil89 - Well spotted.

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:41 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Glad to see us still fighting at the end of the season, nice to get yhe W after being down 39 points.

Don't care if we make the finals or not this season, but from 1 game and % behind with 2 to go it is a massive long shot anyway. I think it is important we get the Crows and compete with the Lions.

I really enjoyed:
1. An extra body at the clearance, we didn't get as many loose balls flying out for the opposition to jump on and run, we kept it tight and dominated.
2. Bringing the ball back into the corridor after half time with play on intent. Thought we were very exciting running down the guts.
3. Adjustments that meant we didn't get beaten on the outside or over the back as often after half time.

Really didn't enjoy:
1. Our forward 50 entries, clearly our forward coaching structure isn't up to AFL standards. It is holding us back....
2. Disposal by foot is too inconsistent, we need significant work on kicking skills this off-season.

Loved Crippa's goal, real lifter for the boys.

Thought out backhalf were fantastic from half way through the second quarter, winners everywhere.

CB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 am 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Gee, we made hard work of that. But we got there in the end.
Fantastic clutch moment from Cottrell.
Walsh was magnificent. Rest of the midfield very good.
Plowman, Weiters and SPS were terrific in defence. Best game we've seen from SPS for a while. Just seemed to have an intensity that's often missing.
Fish and Newnes looked dangerous forward.
De Koning continues to show very exciting glimpses.
Liked Owies defensive intensity. Was pretty stiff to be penalised a couple of times for good tackles.

Cons:

Forward inefficiency.
3 goals touched on the line. Casboult again missing an easy goal, when really needed.
Swans never missing. Seemed to kick goals out of nowhere.
Two early goals conceded to contested marks, which should have been spoiled.
Lewis Taylor's staging for frees.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 am 
Craig Bradley

Liked Williamson's game as well. Although he always seems to manage a diabolical mistake once or twice a game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:46 am 
Bruce Doull

Stefchook wrote:
Liked Williamson's game as well. Although he always seems to manage a diabolical mistake once or twice a game.

He's like the anti Newnes, who always seems to do one amazing thing per game

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:55 am 
Ken Hunter

A most exciting game to be at!

After a head-shaking first half, that is. :smile:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:56 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree with the comments that McGovern needs to show something. I'm pretty sure we'll persist for structural reasons, but severely underperforming given his talent levels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:06 am 
Harry Vallence

Did anyone else notice more overlapping run tonight when we came good?

(see my theory here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36994)

Uncontested Possessions were up by about 8 over our average, along with Uncontested Marks (up 13) although handballs were down by about 4.

They were making a bit more position for each other would account for the increase in free marks and i think there were less pressure handballs, so tho down in total more were in the 'overlap play' category.

The forward stuff still shite tho.
- marks inside 50 down 30%
- inside 50s UP by 5
- goal conversion from inside 50 even worse at 16% (season avg. 20%)

So a thoroughly regressive performance in the front 50.
Anyone surprised there?

Rest of the stats all on average.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:13 am 
Bruce Doull

One thing we learned tonight is that Tommy Alvin wore no. 44 for Carlton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:34 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I knew BV would be the only other one to credit Ed. I forgot Parker was playing.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CC1961 wrote:
My Outs for this prematch were...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36991&start=26

Cripps, Betts, Williamson, Cottrell.
They only picked one of my 'Ins' - TDK.

Cottrell was shite apart from the match winning goal, his decision making and execution were dismal and only had 6 touches - 4 were ineffective.

Still seeing too many errors from Williamson despite his 13 touches.

I'm putting it out there right now: Sam Walsh will be Carlton's next Brownlow Medallist.

Wow. indispensable.

I can't get past liking McGovern for being a tall forward option; the only 'fix' I can see for him is to point to a specific spot in the 50m arc and tell him to run straight to it whenever the ball comes forward no matter what else is happening. He has no other 'pack sense' so this is the only strategy that could work.
The boys can then make a decision as to whether he is in space and then kick it to him.

Cripps is still too hot & cold. Whose heart wasn't in their mouth when he took that shot?
Sheesh.
Too late to drop/rest him now.

Docherty was solid, Simpson is a legend.

Murphy is an effing total WORRY.

Fisher has flashes of brilliance and is an integral cog when we're dominating.

Love Martin, but he was asleep today.

TDK absolutely vindicated 'my' selection and I think was much more effective than Pittonet has been recently.

Williamson, lol. every week. Amongst the best at HT and his ball use is elite.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 am 
Geoff Southby

Being a glass half empty guy here are my thoughts
As the season has progressed Walsh has got better

Weitering AA
SPS best game for a while. Has had so many chances was due
Plowman very good on Papley
TDK keep playing him regardless. Could be a ripper
Cripps worked his way into it
Ed Curnow did the job on Parker
Cottrell has brain fades but his run is incredible. With longer quarters next year he could be an asset. Great mark and goal

Plowman was terrible the week before because Collingwood did their homework on him
Hates it and panics whenisolated near goals. Is a limited player. Papley is terrible in the air so Plowman had a good night and Papley has been crap the past month.
He will likely get McAdam on Sunday who plays close to goals and is a terrific mark for his size. See how he goes then

Cuningham a pretender. Simply doesn’t get involved enough. I would be trying Honey, Philp, Ramsay before him
Setterfield simply not hard enough in close. Will never win a Stawell gift so that’s his job.
Martin simply he picks and chooses when to put in IMO
Yes got him for nothing but overrated and takes up to much salary cap space for the output
Gone for the year anyway. Simply needs to get heaps fitter and run more

McKay must have a set shot routine worked out next year. That goal from straight in front was embarrassing even though it went through. Falls over too easily . Simply has to harden up.

Mc Govern. Worst game ever. Was a witches hat on beta blockers only worse.

Adelaide Sunday will be interesting

We are harder to play against but our ball movement is woeful and we simply don’t run hard enough
Hoping that Philp Honey Ramsay Phillips oBrien Dow can step up otherwise our ladder position won’t change

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:35 am 
John James

keogh wrote:
Being a glass half empty guy here are my thoughts
As the season has progressed Walsh has got better

Weitering AA
SPS best game for a while. Has had so many chances was due
Plowman very good on Papley
TDK keep playing him regardless. Could be a ripper
Cripps worked his way into it
Ed Curnow did the job on Parker
Cottrell has brain fades but his run is incredible. With longer quarters next year he could be an asset. Great mark and goal

Plowman was terrible the week before because Collingwood did their homework on him
Hates it and panics whenisolated near goals. Is a limited player. Papley is terrible in the air so Plowman had a good night and Papley has been crap the past month.
He will likely get McAdam on Sunday who plays close to goals and is a terrific mark for his size. See how he goes then

Cuningham a pretender. Simply doesn’t get involved enough. I would be trying Honey, Philp, Ramsay before him
Setterfield simply not hard enough in close. Will never win a Stawell gift so that’s his job.
Martin simply he picks and chooses when to put in IMO
Yes got him for nothing but overrated and takes up to much salary cap space for the output
Gone for the year anyway. Simply needs to get heaps fitter and run more

McKay must have a set shot routine worked out next year. That goal from straight in front was embarrassing even though it went through. Falls over too easily . Simply has to harden up.

Mc Govern. Worst game ever. Was a witches hat on beta blockers only worse.

Adelaide Sunday will be interesting

We are harder to play against but our ball movement is woeful and we simply don’t run hard enough
Hoping that Philp Honey Ramsay Phillips oBrien Dow can step up otherwise our ladder position won’t change

I agree with highlighted points. We also lack poise and skill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next