Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:04 pm 
Ken Hands

Adam Chatfield wrote:
MPH78 wrote:
So so good to be on the right end of a game like this for once.

Absolutely livid with the first quarter and a half. Shambolic.

Credit to the players for sticking wth it and grinding their way back in to the game.

But god damn we have to fix our F50 entries. We simply waste too many chances and get nowhere near the scoreboard reward for our effort and control of the game.

To be fair we’ve had a decent rub of the green in close ones.

Newnes after siren goal
Townsend not making distance
Taylor missing (albeit dodgy free kick)

Only real one considered unfortunate was the Robbie gray one, but even then we were lucky they kept missing before that.

Overall I think it’s roughly worked out evenly for what we deserve in close ones this year.

You left out Ablett missing from 30m out

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
Cottrell made my week

The kid may never play again. Now has the highlight many players dream of.

he was horrible up to that point, just awful

Was magnificent when it mattered

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

What a relief.
Next week the Crows. They've struggled out of the middle all year until they put Laird in there. Today he had 11 clearances including 6 centre clearances. Their next best had 1. It's not too hard. Lock him down with Ed.
On tonights game, Ed doesn't always get noticed but he took Parker out of the game completely after half time. He's a favourite for sure. It was also great to see Walsh get a run in the middle. Well overdue and it paid dividends.
Plowman? What can I say. He just did his job against the opposition best small again. That's why the coaches value him so highly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I am 100 % convinced ... after a backing him since we recruited him... because of what he can do physically ... he should take a back seat for the rest of the year.

He should know he finishes the season without a spot in the first 22 and that's with Curnow Marchbank Kemp Silvagni are out injured.

Gov needs to be dropped.

Last edited by bondiblue on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Wasn’t it great to see Plowman, SPS and Setterfield play like that
Walsh we knew but DeKoning is going to join our elite group.
Welcome back Casboult. Fish is just a beauty.
Simpson hasn’t put a foot wrong all year.
Did I mention Plowy....... :clapping:
I could keep going but ...... flower me McGovern.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I honestly don't know what to make of it all. I've not been this angry at a performance in the first quarter and a half since the end of the Bolton days. It was as insipid an effort as there's been for a long time. Was it just the aftermath of the disappointment of the last 2 weeks? They were so flat and inept. It was horrendous. Then the grind came. Keep coming keep coming. Grind out goals. Claw the opposition back.

Winning feels good.

Walsh was immense

TDK wow... we could just have the next Grundy on our hands.

SPS after that embarrassing effort to chase back McInerny put in probably his best game if the year. As others have pointed out, amazing what happens when you play him in the guts.

Plowman... probably his best game he has played for mind. Flogged Papley.

Weiters... he won't be All Australian but he should be.

Williamson had his weekly @#$%&! up but got away with it just. Other than that, great game.

Then there's McGovern. The great disappointment. Looking like the biggest flop in trade history. Paying him a lot and delivering nothing. I'd actually drop him for the rest of the year. I don't care who comes in. Anyone will give more than this waste of space.

Overall, happy but there are still some glaring deficiencies. Midfield continues to be really poor. Forward entries continue to be awful. But for now I'll enjoy the win until next week when we'll go through it all again

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
I am 100 % convinced after a backing him since we recruited him because of what he can do physically but he should take a back seat for the rest of the year.

He should know he finishes the season without a spot in the first 22 and that's with Curnow Marchbank Kemp Silvagni are out injured.

Gov needs to be dropped.

He does and be told he has to show proven performances to get back in.

Has he ever played 2nds for us? Like last year?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:21 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Stuff Papley. Don't need the little hero. Great win. Go baggers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

You know if you play FIFA on xbox or ps4, as you come to the end of the season and you're waiting for the new game... Well you do things like 'I'll let them score 5 and see if I can win from there'. Maybe that's what we were doing. In game challenges.

What?

No one else does that?

OK.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Feeling a tad vindicated on the SPS front...

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36991&start=84

2nd most possessions, 80% disposal efficiency.
Belongs in the mid-field, set up some crucial forward thrusts.

Worked very hard all game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 pm 
Bob Chitty

One of their last goals in the first half came via a 9 metre inboard kick from SPS. After that he started kicking 25+ and it made a massive difference to our movement. He was also further up the ground.
This and Willo's aggressive movement really helped turn us around.
SPS had started with the longer kicks earlier this season but hadn't been the last month.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Will Gibbons be right for Sunday’s game? I’m thinking him and Betts the obvious ins.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

cecil89 wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Walsh, if we must persist with dual captaincy, then sign him up. Although, I'd like to see him outright captain next year with Doc vice.

He’s a very good player, no doubt, but I kinda recall Cripps had a pretty reasonable year last year too.. I’m happy for Cripps and Doc to continue to grow in the role and let Walsh improve his game

I don't see the need to have more than one captain. Cripps has enough on his plate and Doc is still warming up to his best (after two years out of footy).

SPS, what do you know, his best impact came via the midfield. Keep him there, or at least play him in the rotation more regularly.

I thought SPS still played HBF. Perhaps a little higher up and around the contest more, but HBF none the less. Showed plenty to the coaches and might be pushing for more midfield time though.

I disagree. He might have been pushing up, but regardless, his best impact was around the midfield and his disposal was great by hand and foot.

TDK, a gun, and will only get better.

Cripps, best game in weeks. Don't bother with the drop punt in front of goals, just go round the corner!

Cons

Murphy, limited impact (again) and should have nailed the snap in the third (?)

Interesting comparison between Murphy and Cripps. Got about the same amount of footy. Cripps tackle on Kennedy and his goal probably set his game apart from Murphy’s, but Cripps butchered 2 kicks at important times tonight.

Watch the second qtr again. Cripps was at worst the catalyst for the comeback. Murphy, has not had an impact like that AFAIK.

Shitty midfield to forward connection. Just stop bombing in hope (AGAIN).

Limited small forwards front and square at critical times (and generally).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

We're just lucky that they didn't kick the first 8 goals :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:30 pm 
Ken Hands

Can't see that we'd lose a thing playing Kennedy in McGovern's spot. Or give Honey another run down there. Or Fraser Phillips. McGovern's just providing so little that even if his replacement does bugger all we haven't lost anything.

Well done to Plow, obliterated Papley. Weitering close to flawless after Reid's early goal. Walsh is a star. Cottrell was pretty ordinary, no left foot, but moments like that are special. Owies didn't really get near it, but with an improved tackling technique might have got himself a couple of frees instead of giving them away. Adrenaline might have done him in when he had his one shot. TDK will be very very good. Though Casboult was better tonight than he has been for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

CC1961 wrote:
Feeling a tad vindicated on the SPS front...

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36991&start=84

2nd most possessions, 80% disposal efficiency.
Belongs in the mid-field, set up some crucial forward thrusts.

Worked very hard all game.

:thanks:

:clap:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:32 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

79Vintage wrote:
Before tonight I thought simmo should retire, but we may still need him down back, to let the younger guys mature around an old head.
He was excellent

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

I’m still not convinced SPS played midfield today.

Attachments:
4FC7E231-8639-48BB-8606-8E8E6435133F.jpeg
4FC7E231-8639-48BB-8606-8E8E6435133F.jpeg [ 220.72 KiB | Viewed 2140 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

ferdinand wrote:
Can't see that we'd lose a thing playing Kennedy in McGovern's spot. Or give Honey another run down there. Or Fraser Phillips. McGovern's just providing so little that even if his replacement does bugger all we haven't lost anything.

Well done to Plow, obliterated Papley. Weitering close to flawless after Reid's early goal. Walsh is a star. Cottrell was pretty ordinary, no left foot, but moments like that are special. Owies didn't really get near it, but with an improved tackling technique might have got himself a couple of frees instead of giving them away. Adrenaline might have done him in when he had his one shot. TDK will be very very good. Though Casboult was better tonight than he has been for a while.

I've seen worse on their non preferred...

https://www.afl.com.au/video/486125/wild-celebration-after-youngster-s-first-goal?videoId=486125&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1597489595001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Walsh, if we must persist with dual captaincy, then sign him up. Although, I'd like to see him outright captain next year with Doc vice.

He’s a very good player, no doubt, but I kinda recall Cripps had a pretty reasonable year last year too.. I’m happy for Cripps and Doc to continue to grow in the role and let Walsh improve his game

I don't see the need to have more than one captain. Cripps has enough on his plate and Doc is still warming up to his best (after two years out of footy).

SPS, what do you know, his best impact came via the midfield. Keep him there, or at least play him in the rotation more regularly.

I thought SPS still played HBF. Perhaps a little higher up and around the contest more, but HBF none the less. Showed plenty to the coaches and might be pushing for more midfield time though.

I disagree. He might have been pushing up, but regardless, his best impact was around the midfield and his disposal was great by hand and foot.

TDK, a gun, and will only get better.

Cripps, best game in weeks. Don't bother with the drop punt in front of goals, just go round the corner!

Cons

Murphy, limited impact (again) and should have nailed the snap in the third (?)

Interesting comparison between Murphy and Cripps. Got about the same amount of footy. Cripps tackle on Kennedy and his goal probably set his game apart from Murphy’s, but Cripps butchered 2 kicks at important times tonight.

Watch the second qtr again. Cripps was at worst the catalyst for the comeback. Murphy, has not had an impact like that AFAIK.

Shitty midfield to forward connection. Just stop bombing in hope (AGAIN).

Limited small forwards front and square at critical times (and generally).

Fair call re. Cripps 2nd quarter; I’d overlooked that and was recalling mistakes in the last. Being central to the momentum shift gives credence to him being our best leader though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next