Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

:|

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Play the kids

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Dead rubber.
They couldn't be bothered when finals and pride were on the line so how can we even think they will win with no incentive other than not to do an ACL before the end of the season?
Where we finish is of no consequence now apart from the draft so we might as well look at the kids we have on the list before we get rid of them for not developing themselves..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:12 am 
Harry Vallence

I'd like to see Owies.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:18 am 
Bruce Doull

OUT: Cripps, Pittonet, Betts, Murphy, Simpson

IN: Kennedy, TDK, Owies, Cuningham, O'Brien

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

grrofunger wrote:

Reckon this is about right, although I'd play Murphy and then swap him for Cripps in the following game possibly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:45 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

grrofunger wrote:

Yep something like this.
Also would like to see Philp, Honey and Macreadie given a couple more games before the end of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:53 am 
Bruce Doull

Get some game time into the kids.
Give Simpson and Betts a send-off game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Out: Cripps, Betts, Pittonet, Jones

In: Kennedy, Cunningham, TDK, Macreadie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:56 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Wojee wrote:
Get some game time into the kids.
Give Simpson and Betts a send-off game.

R18 against the Lions in front of a crowd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 am 
Harry Vallence

I thought Pittonet went okay against GWS. But can we play him and TDK in the same side?

I trust neither Eddie or Simmo will play on next year. I still debate whether either should have been out there this year.

Has Krooz played his last game for us?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:

Kennedy?

We have a need for speed: Philp, Honey

Maybe they need another couple preseasons.

I don't really care if Kennedy is selected but imo he's not the future

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:18 pm 
Bob Chitty

Would like to see Owies given a taste. He is the only untried player I'd think was important to have a look at by the end of the season. Ramsay we could give a game to I suppose but he is still in his teens whereas Owies is, what, 24? I don't mean that as a criticism, I understand he went out of the system for a while, but it seems to me we need to make a call on him and a look at him in AFL company would help and indeed it would be unfair on him to cut him at the end of season without that look IMO.

The other untried players are Phillips and O'Dwyer who I don't think are near it and the injured Kemp.

Others I'd like to give more time to this year are O'Brien who needs to show something and Macreadie who I really rate if he can stay on the park. If Cripps needs a rest play Kennedy in the role and see if he has what it takes. I don't think we can go with both in the same side too often unless they switch the centre/third key forward roles between themselves but that means having to make choices about other key forwards. We have a plethora of key forwards ATM but that doesn't mean we should play them all at once, much less then go 2 ruckmen into the bargain.

The team looked tired last night. We are back on Tuesday night Rotation time perhaps? Reading the comments about the recent scratch matches suggests to me that there are a number of the younger players who they would want to keep working on at that level at the moment - Ramsay and Philp being 2. If you really wanted to do a refresh without going uber-inexperienced you could look at bringing in Lang - I don't think there is a future for him but as a stop-gap if we rest the experienced guys en masse I wouldn't object. Other than Murphy who I think is trying his guts out and not looking tired there is no shortage of senior guys and indeed not so senior guys (eg Willo) who could do with a rest. Even Murphy might struggle to come up again so quickly. Not that I expect them to do this, nor do I think mass rotations is the way to go but if they wanted to how about this team:

OUT: Cottrell Dow Polson (omitted) Simpson Williamson Cripps Casboult Betts Pittonet Murphy (managed)

IN: Plowman Macreadie Kennedy Cuningham Gibbons (experienced returning from break) Lang (in for experience) O'Brien (time to show something) TDK (still a couple of years off his best but AFL-ready) Honey (kid) Owies (debutant but not a kid)

Thats TEN changes - out with 4 fairly young/inexperienced players, 1 slightly more experienced , 1 struggling superstar and 3 veterans, in with 5 guys with decent experience, 2 with a bit of experience and 2 kids 1 on debut. Yes we lose top end experience but they are all as it seems to me struggling ATM and facing a second short turnaround.

Here is how I would have them line up:

SPS Weitering Plowman
Docherty Macreadie Newnes
Fisher Kennedy Walsh
Cuningham McKay Gibbons
Jones McGovern Owies
TDK Martin E Curnow
Honey Lang O'Brien Setterfield

Jones can give TDK a chop out in the ruck to save McKay doing the role. McKay to push up as the outlet for defenders, McGovern leading into the space behind him Jones staying close to goal to give a contest for the long bomb in if nothing else presents. Don't expect him to be a goal machine but to contest hit packs hard, create some chaos and not be outmarked too often. McKay and McGovern (especially the latter) to be expected to work hard and keep presenting. If defensive talls get exposed Jones or McGovern can be thrown back. Fisher back in the middle where he wants to be and a look at some of the younger players we need to find out about.

MC will no doubt keep some of the older guys, hope they work out which ones have the legs to go again Tuesday, that is more crucial than form at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

79Vintage wrote:
I'd like to see Owies.

This. Give Honey another run too

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

killpies wrote:
79Vintage wrote:
I'd like to see Owies.

This. Give Honey another run too

I want to see more of Honey.
I expected to.
I'm not complaining he was dropped or anything, but he stood out in the preseason and after break.

A conundrum.
Pick a team to win orPick a team with an eye to the future, including delisting if lists are cut.

I doubt the lists will be cut by more than 5 including rookies and cat b's.
AFL would have set the expectation by now; they've had plenty of time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

For me selection is case of playing players capable of executing the game plan.

If anything imo Teague has been carrying players.

Players like Honey can play. So why not a couple of games vs Sydney and Adeliade?

Then have the best team to make a Statement vs Brisbane in the last H & A game.
Hopefully with the added emotional help from farewelling club legend, Simmo, we end the season with a BIG WIN.

But for the next 2 games with compressed fixture, we can have a look at Owies, Philp again, Macreadie (yes please), obviously more of OBrien and Dow and why not Ramsay.

We looked tired in the last, and lacked a sense of urgency before that imo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

Flog the same 22. They deserve to be running on the one spot over the next 2 games for failing over the last 2. Let the kids rest up for next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

TDK for Pittonet and Plowman for SPS are the only changes I would make.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

Probably no change

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

grrofunger wrote:

:thumbsup:
O'Brien on the backline and SPS rotating in the middle and the forward line.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next