Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 pm 
Robert Walls

Forgive me for what I'm about to say...I have loved this club since 1968 but sometimes, you have to be cruel to be kind

If we lose the last three games, I will not be in the slightest bit upset...in fact, I will morbidly enjoy it

Why?

I want nothing to do with any bullsh1t, arsey, consolation wins over the next three weeks that gives us false optimism or a glimmer of hope for next year or rationalises any positives in what has been a failure in my eyes this year.

I want the blowtorch on this club for 6 months on everybody and I want everyone feeling the heat. I want a summer of soul searching, reflection and hard arsed decisions made

Then, come round 1, with the spotlight on the club, let's see what they have done to address the fact that we are a f$$%^ laughing stock on the AFL stage

And...as much as I love Cripps, he is not a leader, he is immature and selfish and does nothing to empower those around him to become better...that "we're back-blues are back" line makes me cringe every time I think about it. It will make great fodder for The Front Bar one day

1 captain only next year...Docherty

PS. What'e the bet that now that the season is cooked, all those kids who didn't get a look in suddenly get a game...good excuse to say we lost because we're playing the kids

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

grrofunger wrote:
OUT: Cripps, Pittonet, Betts, Murphy, Simpson

IN: Kennedy, TDK, Owies, Cuningham, O'Brien

I like this, but it equates to a net loss of some 800+ games of AFL experience, so it'll never happen!

Assuming this is Simmo's last season, he'll play the remaining 3 games, and fair enough. Ditto Eddie, but I expect he'll stay one more year. If he gets "managed" before season's end you can bet your house on it. I don't see the MC "managing" more than one veteran per game. So this week I'm going to put my virtual money on Murph.

Out: Murphy, Pittonet, SPS
In: O'Brien, TDK, Plowman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Flog the same 22. They deserve to be running on the one spot over the next 2 games for failing over the last 2. Let the kids rest up for next year.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Except drop Cripps because
a) he deserves to taste some humility and think about his game
b) if he IS unwell as has been suggested then a 5 day turn-around is the last thing he needs

Besides as this is possible...

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36993

(still making the 8 )

...we need our best possible 22 still.

Maybe Eddie needs a "rest and think about it" too.

I'd like to see Gibbons back if fit and Tom De Koning - a real trier and skills will only improve.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:15 am 
Bob Chitty

SurreyBlue wrote:
Flog the same 22. They deserve to be running on the one spot over the next 2 games for failing over the last 2. Let the kids rest up for next year.

As with every year there are players whose future is on the line. Some the club know enough about to make the call whether good news or bad for the player but plenty in the middle ground. This year with the expected cut to list sizes - we have 46 players on the list ATM, on even the most optimistic view that will reduce considerably going forwards. That means more players on the cusp. The club owes it to those players and indeed to itself to have a proper look at as many as practicable and with no reserves comp there is little to judge them on if they don't get a run at top level. This year the "have a look at" should in my view be prioritised over "give him a taste for experience" and it is the guys whose future is in doubt who ought to be getting a run if their form at all deserves it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

OUT: SPS Cottrell Betts Williamson Newnes (all managed :wink: )

IN: Plowman Macreadie OBrien Gibbons Cuningham

Macreadie looked good at HB with his left and righ peg working along with his intercepting.

Gotta see OBrien

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:32 pm 
Banned

Prefer if we belt our last three opponents by 10 goals and go into pre season full of confidence kids should only get a game if they deserve it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

Out: Cripps, Betts, Williamson, Cottrell

In: Gibbons, TDK, Plowman, Honey

...some speed and some aerial (& a little bit of mongrel hunger)

The 'outs' don't have any of that at present.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CC1961 wrote:

Willo one of few with any hunger. The continual calls for him to be outed are amusing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
CC1961 wrote:

Willo one of few with any hunger. The continual calls for him to be outed are amusing.

This

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:16 pm 
Wayne Johnston

CC1961 wrote:

TDK, Pittonet, Levi and Harry all in the one side doesn’t seem too speedy. Maybe swap Willo for Pittonet in your outs?

I’d rather see Owies than Honey as an in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:51 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
CC1961 wrote:

Willo has improved a heap the second half of the year. Taking the game on and not afraid of making mistakes. That’s what we need. As he matures mistakes will become less frequent, but for me he is best 18.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:54 pm 
formerly King Kenny

bondiblue wrote:

Macreadie looked good at HB with his left and righ peg working along with his intercepting.

Gotta see OBrien

Cottrell just had a rest. Should be persevered with.

SPS needs to be dropped, or moved to the midfield.

Macreadie will get his chance. A strong preseason and I think he will be ready to emerge in 2021.

Same with O’Brien. One more preseason to build his body up and I think he can start to emerge next year as a long Term player.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Normal One wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Gotta see OBrien

Cottrell just had a rest. Should be persevered with.

SPS needs to be dropped, or moved to the midfield.

Macreadie will get his chance. A strong preseason and I think he will be ready to emerge in 2021.

Same with O’Brien. One more preseason to build his body up and I think he can start to emerge next year as a long Term player.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

On the one hand, and my preference is that I want a winning team (especially against the Swans with Rowbottom a family friend, and living in Sydney, let alone a chance at Finals with 3 wins), and I have no idea who is sore, injured, underdone or out of form. Only the coach knows if players are following instructions. Then on the other hand I want to see the draftees we put some many games into over the last 2-3 years.

SPS imo is out of form, and he hasn't earned the right to play midfield.

Cottrell looked engaged and alert but weak at the contest imo. Can't remember much of what he did other than bomb it like his twin Robbo :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Normal One wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
CC1961 wrote:

Willo has improved a heap the second half of the year. Taking the game on and not afraid of making mistakes. That’s what we need. As he matures mistakes will become less frequent, but for me he is best 18.

Fair enough. But I don't think he's best 18 right this minute, but understand the point that the more he plays the more the mistakes will be reduced. He is making mistakes that cost a lot. He and Jones cost us a lot against the GWS, and I think that needs to be said.

I can see he needs to learn more about his role and his limitations. No one is perfect, not at 21yo, and hopefully he will improve enough to hold a position in the best 22 next year. After all, we are building a team for the Flag, not just the 8.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
CC1961 wrote:

I don't know about hunger, because I usually use that word for the ball hunters: mids. I do see him as a competitor and he seems to care about his performance and what his opponent does.

Some supporters believe we should pick a team who can win whilst the possibility of finals is possible, whilst others want to play the kids and get games into them.

Williamson and Jones are probably best we have, but lets not let them off the hook ompletely. Some of the things (yes plural) both did were not good viewing and costly.

Just realised Williamson is 22yo. He's still young and hasn't enjoyed any exposure in the seniors in the last 2 years.

Its Ok to point out weaknesses, and its OK to want to see others before the season is out. No one is going to listen to us that makes decisions anyway. I like reading Williamson has strong support for the good things he brings to the team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:00 am 
Rod Ashman

CC1961 wrote:

Can't believe people talk about blooding youngsters to give them game time and then want Williamson dropped. At 22 and very little game time over the past 2 seasons due to injury, he needs to play. His only real weaknesses are a lack of telling Jones what to do during game time and having no right foot. So play him over the next 3 weeks and then over the preseason he is only to kick using his right foot. If he plays next year not being able to kick with his right foot then I will be on the "drop him" bandwagon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
CC1961 wrote:

'Amusing' is an interesting synonym for 'having NFI'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

carntheblues wrote:
CC1961 wrote:

Can't believe people talk about blooding youngsters to give them game time and then want Williamson dropped. At 22 and very little game time over the past 2 seasons due to injury, he needs to play. His only real weaknesses are a lack of telling Jones what to do during game time and having no right foot. So play him over the next 3 weeks and then over the preseason he is only to kick using his right foot. If he plays next year not being able to kick with his right foot then I will be on the "drop him" bandwagon.

Yep. Don't see the logic in dropping him. One of the few willing to take the game on and break the lines. Yes he makes mistakes but no less than our co-captains and he has a bit of mongrel about him which we greatly lack. Despite his mistakes, his skills for the most part are sound. Our 2 best and most attacking kick ins after a GWS behind last week were when Willo took them. Moved it quickly, took a bit of a gamble and we were far better for it rather than the slow predictable stuff Doc and Simmo do when they bring the ball in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Owies playing apparently

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Good. He deserves an opportunity. Personally I have significant doubts about him but good on him for forcing his way in.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next