Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:14 am 
Bruce Doull

We just let a team that scored one goal in the first half beat us.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:58 am 
Geoff Southby

cecil89 wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Not once did I see in the 2nd half Dow, Fisher, SPS, Martin or anyone else apart from the same 4 in the middle. It makes me sick.
WE HAVE OFFICIALLY KILLED SPS .
Why play Dow as your HF you might as well play Cunningham
WHAT IS TEAGUE DOING????
We are killing our young onball talent coz they no longer play like they did last season.
When David took over he moved players during games NOW its the total opposite.
Just exactly how many times in the 2nd half did we attend the centre bounce.
3 times in the 2nd quarter
5 times in the last.
You keep banging on about this but it is irrelevant.
Once the ball is bounced they are basically all midfielders .
Centre clearance were 6 to 7 all game.
These blokes you say Teague is killing are killing themselves by not running hard enough and presenting.
Look at Walsh he runs harder than anyone and he gets the ball.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So your happy with a midfield rotation of 5 players??
Cripps,Murphy, Ed,Setterfield, Walsh, Newnes
It's a bit hard for a forward pocket to run like Walsh who plays WING.
Everytime Fisher is around the ball something happens.
Why play DOW if your gonna use him as a HF. might as well play Cunningham.
Cripps isn't running hard back. We only have Ed and Walsh as our hard running on ballers.

Why waste all these high end draft picks on midfielders who have speed and power which we clearly lack and yet 1 is at HB, another in a forward pocket, 3 wasting away in scratch matches and another at HF.

So don't blame the kids when they hardly play in there.
Remember when David took over HE said "Play to your strengths "

Well I would have thought an elite junior midfielders strengths are actually playing MIDFIELD

None of Fisher, SPS, Cuningham or Dow are big possession getters. They don’t find the footy enough and never really did in the junior comps either. We haven’t seen enough of Kemp and Philp yet, but my concern is they are the same. Teague just touched on it in his press conference; we need some of these guys to step up. They might have limited opportunities, but whatever opportunities they get they absolutely have to take. They’ve failed that so far this season. Setterfield is a guy who has taken it and won a spot in the regular rotation as a result.

The other key point in the Teague press conference was our lack of inside/outside midfielders. We have a lot of 1 dimensional mids. SPS is an outside player. Dow lacks outside and link-up play. Fisher is good in contested situations, but his size will always limit his effectiveness. Cripps is clearly an inside bull. Walsh is an elite outside runner. Murphy lacks an inside game and is heavily criticised for it. Curnow lacks the polish in his disposal to be damaging on the outside. Stocker, inside. O’Brien, outside. It’s absolutely a problem for us.

And whose fault is that

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:08 am 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
Any thoughts on how Russell has or hasn't impacted the team?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Russell like most PTs comes across as a bit up himself and a bit of a wanker.
He is big on guys being lean particularly when they get older.
The game continues to evolve and it’s going backwards. It’s very congested at the moment and we seem a bit weak in the contest. We can’t sustain it for a full game. We look too light even when we wear white :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:18 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

at what point do the board fall on their sword, sack themselves, and we reinvent the club from the ground up?

from top to bottom, there's not one single person who deserves their job at cfc based on the last two decades of failiure and the 1 million wasted high draft picks failing to develop into a comp winning team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 am 
Rod Ashman

Sheesh, so much doom on this site!

It was utterly disappointing but also that is exactly where we are at.
This doesn’t mean the world is falling in.
We are MUCH better than last year.
We are pretty much in every game. We are beating the best teams for significant chunks of matches. I think we have still won more of the very close ones than we have lost. Several players have taken significant steps forward but, yes, there are many who haven’t and heaps of room for improvement which I am confident we will do next season.

We are a team on the up but still middle of the road at best.
This does not mean we need to chuck out half the team and sack the coach and the Board!
You could apply the blowtorch in a similar way to 15 clubs at the moment if you want to be picky!

I think Eddie is showing his age - slipping over too much, missing easy marks and fumbling at crucial moments (and not just last night). Cripps is nowhere near his best - either injured, fatigued not able to perform at his lighter weight or he just needs to work through how other teams are playing him.
Most of the team needs to work on our kicking for goal. And most of the team needs to focus on maintaining high intensity from start to finish.
Dow needs to play more - and gradually spend more time in the middle. SPS needs to spend more time in the middle too but he must earn that with more consistent intensity at HB.
And I would really like to see Marchbank back in the team and look forward next year to seeing Stocker and Kemp.

I am hoping that the pain of these narrow defeats and losing from winning positions really burns in our players guts and drives us to sustained success over the coming few years - like it did for Richmond a few years ago. And Richmond looked more hopeless than us even the year before they won the flag!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
Sheesh, so much doom on this site!

It was utterly disappointing but also that is exactly where we are at.
This doesn’t mean the world is falling in.
We are MUCH better than last year.
We are pretty much in every game. We are beating the best teams for significant chunks of matches. I think we have still won more of the very close ones than we have lost. Several players have taken significant steps forward but, yes, there are many who haven’t and heaps of room for improvement which I am confident we will do next season.

We are a team on the up but still middle of the road at best.
This does not mean we need to chuck out half the team and sack the coach and the Board!
You could apply the blowtorch in a similar way to 15 clubs at the moment if you want to be picky!

I think Eddie is showing his age - slipping over too much, missing easy marks and fumbling at crucial moments (and not just last night). Cripps is nowhere near his best - either injured, fatigued not able to perform at his lighter weight or he just needs to work through how other teams are playing him.
Most of the team needs to work on our kicking for goal. And most of the team needs to focus on maintaining high intensity from start to finish.
Dow needs to play more - and gradually spend more time in the middle. SPS needs to spend more time in the middle too but he must earn that with more consistent intensity at HB.
And I would really like to see Marchbank back in the team and look forward next year to seeing Stocker and Kemp.

I am hoping that the pain of these narrow defeats and losing from winning positions really burns in our players guts and drives us to sustained success over the coming few years - like it did for Richmond a few years ago. And Richmond looked more hopeless than us even the year before they won the flag!

Agree, massive overreaction to last night IMO. That GWS team is chock a block with talent and played in a GF last year. They did the same thing against Essendon*...played like over-programmed robots for 3 quarters then turned it on when they were given freedom to do so.

Missing a couple of quality outside mids, a small forward and Charlie. Then we're right in the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:03 am 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
We just let a team that scored one goal in the first half beat us.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

Because we scored one goal in the second half...while they scored 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stranger wrote:
Most of our younger players lack confidence I reckon Bolton caused it

I keep thinking if putting the kids into the fire too eraly was damaging.

A taste is one thing, but having to endure the inequity playing in the wrong weight division sounds damaging.

Clarkson with his Hawks stated last week he refuses to throw kids into the coal face.
He did do it in the early days of their rebuild.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Not once did I see in the 2nd half Dow, Fisher, SPS, Martin or anyone else apart from the same 4 in the middle. It makes me sick.
WHAT IS TEAGUE DOING????
We are killing our young onball talent coz they no longer play like they did last season.
5 times in the last.
These blokes you say Teague is killing are killing themselves by not running hard enough and presenting.

So your happy with a midfield rotation of 5 players??
Cripps,Murphy, Ed,Setterfield, Walsh, Newnes
It's a bit hard for a forward pocket to run like Walsh who plays WING.
Everytime Fisher is around the ball something happens.
Why play DOW if your gonna use him as a HF. might as well play Cunningham.
Cripps isn't running hard back. We only have Ed and Walsh as our hard running on ballers.

Why waste all these high end draft picks on midfielders who have speed and power which we clearly lack and yet 1 is at HB, another in a forward pocket, 3 wasting away in scratch matches and another at HF.

So don't blame the kids when they hardly play in there.
Remember when David took over HE said "Play to your strengths "

Well I would have thought an elite junior midfielders strengths are actually playing MIDFIELD

None of Fisher, SPS, Cuningham or Dow are big possession getters. They don’t find the footy enough and never really did in the junior comps either. We haven’t seen enough of Kemp and Philp yet, but my concern is they are the same. Teague just touched on it in his press conference; we need some of these guys to step up. They might have limited opportunities, but whatever opportunities they get they absolutely have to take. They’ve failed that so far this season. Setterfield is a guy who has taken it and won a spot in the regular rotation as a result.

The other key point in the Teague press conference was our lack of inside/outside midfielders. We have a lot of 1 dimensional mids. SPS is an outside player. Dow lacks outside and link-up play. Fisher is good in contested situations, but his size will always limit his effectiveness. Cripps is clearly an inside bull. Walsh is an elite outside runner. Murphy lacks an inside game and is heavily criticised for it. Curnow lacks the polish in his disposal to be damaging on the outside. Stocker, inside. O’Brien, outside. It’s absolutely a problem for us.

That's not right.

They accumulated plenty. Got their own ball and were drafted accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 am 
Bert Deacon

Blue4ever wrote:
The only leader I see at the moment is Walsh, this kid busts his arse for this club.
Big tick for Walsh, but it would be remiss to dismiss Weitering.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:28 am 
Bert Deacon

cecil89 wrote:
So many thought GWS would wipe the floor with us and we’d be putting the cue in the rack. Fact is; we didn’t. We were up to our eyeballs in it. It hurts that 2 weeks in a row we’ve failed the pressure test and seen our finals hopes disappear as a result. I think some need to pull their head in though and realise we don’t need to scorch the earth. We’re clearly improved on last year. We’re pieces away from being a consistently good team. That’s a good position to be in from where we’ve been in the past.

We lack a class midfielder. We all hope one of Setterfield, Dow, SPS, Stocker etc can step up and become that player. If they can’t, it won’t be the end of the world. There’s a draft every year, there’s a trade period every year. There will be opportunities to fill this hole. There’s another pre-season for Teague to embed his plan. We clearly lack the ability to make the most of our forward entries. That can be improved. Probably not in-season in the current environment, but the pre-season presents a great opportunity.
Well put cecil, very balanced.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

We lost by 1 goal 3.

Both teams had 2 rushed behinds.

They had 4 more shots at goal.

Last game I attended we lost by 90+ points, ditto the previous year.

We have come a long way. We are not far off.

Jones did some really dumb stuff that would see the back of him in any of the top 8 teams.
Cost us 2 goals...no...he gave them 2 goals.

I also thought the one sided player with 2 minds, Williamason was also another who cost us 2 goals.
He plays confused. The 300 odd metres gained mean jack to those who watched him bomb it to the opposition.

SPS is not in form
Simmo is too old for this caper.

Cripps was allowed to play injured by RUSSELL.

Murphy Cripps don't chase. Don't have adefensive bone in their body to help out defenders.
Dow better realise he needs to run harder after a contest: ball watcher.

The abovementioned will be replaced: Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie (can kick and handball both sides)

Defense conceded 6 goals and only Weietrs had a perfect game, Docherty did well, and I think we could improve further in that area by replacing the weak.

The fact we got it in the forward 50 49 times tells us we can get it in there, but we need to improve the delivery by those who can deliver: Stocker? Williamson?

We will get there. I'm confident of that.

Need to clear out the dead wood: Start with the elderly citizens who lack leadership.

and someone teach Harry a goal kicking routine: it can't be neglected any longer.
This waving the ball around and stepping into a gallop and hope for the best has to stop.
He needs an assertive process to goals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue4ever wrote:
We work so fkn hard only to hand the ball back, some of Jonse's efforts tonight was embarrassing.

We are mentally weak, lacking leadership.

Cant believe we are playing Cripps on one leg, surely Kennedy or another youngster would have been a better option.

Hard to watch Cripps and this club.

Teague is playing for the now not the future, we are not good enough now, develop for the future.

Surely you develop the future by playing the now! Cripps puts his hand up as fit to play so he plays. Because he is not dominating like last year does not mean he is not contributing. I thought he played OK. Put his body over the ball and worked hard as he always does inside.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:45 am 
Rod Ashman

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Gutsy effort off a 4 day break. Were the better team for the majority of the game.
Very efficient first quarter.
Curnow, Weiters, Pittonet, Harry, Murphy, Docherty.
Liked Polson's game.
Dow did a few really nice things. But he's still not getting enough ball.

Cons:

Not going to win, when you can't score goals after quarter time.
We seem to be slow to adapt when the opposition change their set ups. 3 goals out the back in the last quarter is a structural problem.
Harry's set shot kicking. He started off kicking pretty well, but you could see his confidence seeping away as the misses continued to mount.

I agree with the Pros. I hope Dow and Polson get a run for the remaining 3 games. Hopefully they keep getting better.

Regarding the Cons: We kicked 2 goals after 1/4 time and were in front by a game high 15 points a 3/4 time. We didn't need to kick a goal in the last 1/4, we just needed to stop them kicking 3!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:54 am 
Rod Ashman

Sydney Blue wrote:
deano35 wrote:
WHAT IS TEAGUE DOING????
5 times in the last.

A good summary of part of the issue in the last. Hodge at one stage commented in the last 1/4, that when Docherty took a mark deep in our backline very few Carlton players spread to the other side of the ground. Without our spread we were just kicking it to a pack of GWS players. The guys have to learn to push harder when they get tired. I think Russel stated when he joined Carlton that it would take a number of preseasons to get all the guys to his required fitness level. And given a number of them have missed preseasons and not played a lot eg Docherty, Williamson, they may need another 2 to get where they need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Jones and co make a mistake and it costs us a goal.
Harry kicks 1-3 at the other end plus one that would have been a point except it was stopped on the line.

Which is worse? A FB who gives away two or a FF that misses 4?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
So many thought GWS would wipe the floor with us and we’d be putting the cue in the rack. Fact is; we didn’t. We were up to our eyeballs in it. It hurts that 2 weeks in a row we’ve failed the pressure test and seen our finals hopes disappear as a result. I think some need to pull their head in though and realise we don’t need to scorch the earth. We’re clearly improved on last year. We’re pieces away from being a consistently good team. That’s a good position to be in from where we’ve been in the past.

We lack a class midfielder. We all hope one of Setterfield, Dow, SPS, Stocker etc can step up and become that player. If they can’t, it won’t be the end of the world. There’s a draft every year, there’s a trade period every year. There will be opportunities to fill this hole. There’s another pre-season for Teague to embed his plan. We clearly lack the ability to make the most of our forward entries. That can be improved. Probably not in-season in the current environment, but the pre-season presents a great opportunity.

With incredible respect, we were in it because they kicked 2-10 and we had 4-0

Yes GWS did miss easy shots in the first, but by 3/4 time it was 3.10 to 5.8 and we were in front by a game high 15 points. So at 3/4 time we were in it because we were the better side for 2 of the 3 quarters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 am 
Ken Hunter

On the bright side, another big scalp of Weiters. 7 poss, 0 marks, 0 gls to Cameron.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:06 am 
Rod Ashman

cuddles wrote:
Pretty deflating season, our composure inside the forward 50 has killed us. As Carlton fans we are pessimists given what we have been through, but i think the frustration that we have been well on top of two quality teams (a Prelim Finalist and a Grand Finalist of the previous year) and blew two golden opportunities has taken that frustration to a new level.

Our lack of leadership doesn't help either. It's going to be a long summer.

A glass half empty person. I don't like losing either but I think the season has shown promise for future seasons. We are better than last year with plenty of upside.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
cecil89 wrote:

With incredible respect, we were in it because they kicked 2-10 and we had 4-0

Yes GWS did miss easy shots in the first, but by 3/4 time it was 3.10 to 5.8 and we were in front by a game high 15 points. So at 3/4 time we were in it because we were the better side for 2 of the 3 quarters.

The game should have been over by half time or whenever it was they had 2-10, about five of which were gimmees.
Yes, it wasn't but they couldn't keep that up.
We, on the other hand went from 4-0 t0 5-8.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next