Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

bender wrote:
watching brisbane now - when was th time we showed any mongrel, or buried someone in a tackle? or pushed someone into the ground hard?

we are too soft and nice

Bingo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

grrofunger wrote:
That's the way Teague wants it.

What was it ... "respect the game" or some other rubbish.

No aggression, no taunting, no trash talking, no pushing, shoving, etc etc -

@#$%&! "the game"

I want a team of mongrels with some aggression

i know we were burnt with fev's antics, but we have still not changed since the mantra of recruiting nice guys. no aggression et al just shows us as weak, stupid ideology

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:17 pm 
Ken Hands

I love a mongrel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

CC1961 wrote:
Anyone, who thinks Teague has done ok coz he's almost broken even is kidding themselves: a favorable comparison to the previous deadbeat Bolton makes no sense as he was historically the worst coach Carlton ever had - which was never a surprise to me as he had NOT played one single game of AFL football.

Cue......................Chris Fagan. :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

dablues wrote:
I love a mongrel.

Yep! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
CC1961 wrote:
Anyone, who thinks Teague has done ok coz he's almost broken even is kidding themselves: a favorable comparison to the previous deadbeat Bolton makes no sense as he was historically the worst coach Carlton ever had - which was never a surprise to me as he had NOT played one single game of AFL football.

Cue......................Chris Fagan. :grin:

Yep

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:20 am 
Bob Chitty

jim wrote:
After all that, the season is glass half full despite the frustrations the year has brought. We've only played one bad game but a number of frustrating ones. We have been highly competitive against any side, but lacked the composure to go out and finish sides off when on top. Last qtrs in big games under pressure have killed us. 4 sides in the 8, 2 in the top 4 we had control of of to let it slip. So we are good enough, no composed enough. Alot of gains this year, about where we should be, but it could've been so much better. 6-8 really should be 8-6. When you've had a losing mentality for years suddenly being in a position to win games and play finals was something we couldn't cope with. Part of the process I suppose. We couldn't kick that extra goal to really put the heat on the opposition and continually left the door ajar for them by not having the composure to both use the ball and to kick straight when needed. Last 7 second halves has resulted in us scoring 13.42! Not going to win alot kicking at goal like that. Had to have been 2-3 more wins if that was 42.13, or even 25.20. It's been nice to be playing for finals 3 games out, such a lovely change, but brings a much higher level of frustration too when it goes wrong. Win last night and we likely make with our draw. Swans did the right things by us, we got out to 15pts up at 3/4 time but sadly $hit the bed again. So rather than be out of the 8 on percentage we are now 2 games out. Overall the the progress has been good but there is still so much to get right to keep taking steps.

Thanks Jim.
I've been struggling to articulate what I feel and where I think we are at so I hadn't posted about this game. You've nailed it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:40 pm 
Garry Crane

CC1961 wrote:
4. Teague should be locked in a room and made to spend an entire week watching Richmond, Geelong & WC games with a stack of notepads so he can draw a diagram of EVERY successful forward entry by those teams in every game.
He is only allowed out when he can show the full set of diagrams with corresponding Carlton players names pencilled in.

It’s crazy isn’t it.

WE CAN SEE IT whenever we turn on the tv or Kayo or whatever.

I thought ALL coaches spent a lot of time watching replays?

The players from those teams you mentioned often don’t even need to look when their run is about to be blocked. They fire out a quick hand pass because they KNOW a teammate will be running past ... and then that receiver can fire a quick hand pass when they’re blocked ... and so on. It’s like a rugby league line.

Similarly, watch the follow up efforts from players from those clubs, then compare it to our guys. It’s embarrassing how some blue boys stop and put their hands on their hips when the distance between them and the ball blows out to beyond a metre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:17 pm 
Bert Deacon

yes and learn a new game plan for 2021 and notice all running opposition players do either to help or provide option for team mate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

https://www.afl.com.au/news/496045/exclusive-access-review-refuel-injury-manage-how-to-recover-in-97-hours

Perspective for all the couch Coaches.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:

Good read.
It'd be interesting to read how GWS prepared for the game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

Donstuie wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
So many thought GWS would wipe the floor with us and we’d be putting the cue in the rack. Fact is; we didn’t. We were up to our eyeballs in it. It hurts that 2 weeks in a row we’ve failed the pressure test and seen our finals hopes disappear as a result. I think some need to pull their head in though and realise we don’t need to scorch the earth. We’re clearly improved on last year. We’re pieces away from being a consistently good team. That’s a good position to be in from where we’ve been in the past.

We lack a class midfielder. We all hope one of Setterfield, Dow, SPS, Stocker etc can step up and become that player. If they can’t, it won’t be the end of the world. There’s a draft every year, there’s a trade period every year. There will be opportunities to fill this hole. There’s another pre-season for Teague to embed his plan. We clearly lack the ability to make the most of our forward entries. That can be improved. Probably not in-season in the current environment, but the pre-season presents a great opportunity.

The frustration isn't about the quality of football we play (although that has been dogshit for a long time), but what goes on upstairs.

All the talent and training in the world will get us nowhere if we don't actually HTFU.

Good post, Cecil. But I do agree our mental toughness is a real issue. I'm sure the belief and confidence will come, but we've really blown some huge opportunities this year to accelerate the rebuild.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue4ever wrote:
At 3 qtr time, I was just waiting for the Giants, you could see it coming. Our game plan is very taxing and with little scoreboard pressure they were going to come at us.

Agreed. I also think confidence takes a real hit when you dominate the play but can't get any return. The last 2 weeks you could see the heads dropping once the opposition kicked a few goals.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

17th Premiership wrote:
Sheesh, so much doom on this site!

It was utterly disappointing but also that is exactly where we are at.
This doesn’t mean the world is falling in.
We are MUCH better than last year.
We are pretty much in every game. We are beating the best teams for significant chunks of matches. I think we have still won more of the very close ones than we have lost. Several players have taken significant steps forward but, yes, there are many who haven’t and heaps of room for improvement which I am confident we will do next season.

We are a team on the up but still middle of the road at best.
This does not mean we need to chuck out half the team and sack the coach and the Board!
You could apply the blowtorch in a similar way to 15 clubs at the moment if you want to be picky!

I think Eddie is showing his age - slipping over too much, missing easy marks and fumbling at crucial moments (and not just last night). Cripps is nowhere near his best - either injured, fatigued not able to perform at his lighter weight or he just needs to work through how other teams are playing him.
Most of the team needs to work on our kicking for goal. And most of the team needs to focus on maintaining high intensity from start to finish.
Dow needs to play more - and gradually spend more time in the middle. SPS needs to spend more time in the middle too but he must earn that with more consistent intensity at HB.
And I would really like to see Marchbank back in the team and look forward next year to seeing Stocker and Kemp.

I am hoping that the pain of these narrow defeats and losing from winning positions really burns in our players guts and drives us to sustained success over the coming few years - like it did for Richmond a few years ago. And Richmond looked more hopeless than us even the year before they won the flag!

Lots of good points.

Last edited by Stefchook on Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:28 pm 
Craig Bradley

GreatEx wrote:
Agreed, we did work hard, no issues there. Didn't just throw in the towel and play the fatigue card like the Suns did against us. I'm no tactical expert, but as someone mentioned earlier, it seemed criminal not to have a spare defender in the last Q to guard the space behind the contest: unforgivable that we conceded 3 goals just by them bombing over the top. Should have seen that coming a mile away, I remember when they beat Richmond a while back that was the entirety of their 2nd half gameplan and it worked a treat.

Yeah, completely agree. At the very least, we should have worked out the danger after the first goal.

Most teams in that situation go ultra defensive and leave a few behind the ball to guarantee the win. I know it's harder without a runner to send messages. But the message should have been given at the final break.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Good read.
It'd be interesting to read how GWS prepared for the game.
Probably just watched our 4th quarter v collingwood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dablues wrote:
I love a mongrel.

I miss mongrel.

So underrated, just as were footballers when athletes were more important.

Furthermore, the talent pool has been diluted by extra teams GWS and GCS.

Those 2 combined and the mongrels are gone.
I used to look at Vin Waite and John Nichols in awe.
Then there was quiet achievers with heaps of mongrel like Towns and Mangels.

I could go on.

Modern times Hodge, Wines, Selwood...they're all sniping pricks.

We haven't got any.
Willo always threatens to be, but not proactively hard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Agreed, we did work hard, no issues there. Didn't just throw in the towel and play the fatigue card like the Suns did against us. I'm no tactical expert, but as someone mentioned earlier, it seemed criminal not to have a spare defender in the last Q to guard the space behind the contest: unforgivable that we conceded 3 goals just by them bombing over the top. Should have seen that coming a mile away, I remember when they beat Richmond a while back that was the entirety of their 2nd half gameplan and it worked a treat.

Yeah, completely agree. At the very least, we should have worked out the danger after the first goal.

Most teams in that situation go ultra defensive and leave a few behind the ball to guarantee the win. I know it's harder without a runner to send messages. But the message should have been given at the final break.

WE should have won.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:

Its a tough gig.

Im sure the players get a lot of confidence with their program knowing they have Russell at the helm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:55 am 
Garry Crane

Cazzesman wrote:

Is that supposed to make us feel better?

Based on that article, there are two support staff who aren’t contributing much. I’m giving the defensive coach a pass even though Simpson and Docherty continue to leak goals by trying to always be the intercept hero.

And why did Cripps play when he clearly wasn’t ready? A fitter, younger player might have made all the difference in the last q.

For me that’s more proof we’re a shambolic, unimaginative club who just ‘colours by numbers’.

Now I’m even more depressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next