Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 am 
Rod Ashman

Braithy wrote:
at what point do the board fall on their sword, sack themselves, and we reinvent the club from the ground up?

from top to bottom, there's not one single person who deserves their job at cfc based on the last two decades of failure and the 1 million wasted high draft picks failing to develop into a comp winning team.

Great another 10 years lost in the wilderness. I think you have to be a bit more discerning than that. I think that the club is on the right path. I think the issue is that older Carlton supporters were spoiled in the 70's and 80's with premierships and as a result have no patience for the requirements to build a club that has the potential to win a premiership. We started late because of the clubs attitude at the turn of the century and we have been playing catch up ever since. At a time when there is a glimmer of a brighter future you want to throw everything out and start all over again. In the end what we all want is Carlton winning. That is the common thread that links us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:26 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jones and co make a mistake and it costs us a goal.
Harry kicks 1-3 at the other end plus one that would have been a point except it was stopped on the line.

Which is worse? A FB who gives away two or a FF that misses 4?

A good question. Jones and Williamson together twice cost us a goal, both of which should have been prevented if they talked!
Harry's misses weren't simple shots but you would hope at least 2 out of the 4 would be goals. In the end if Harry has the ball then we are at least playing the game in our forward 50 which is the game plan and means the opposition is not scoring. I thought the Jones/Williams incidents that cost us 2 goals were more frustrating and therefore worse given the way the game was played.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:40 am 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
How many times have you seen SPS kick the ball and then bust his arse to provide the next option like most running defenders do.

I watched him yesterday and noticed his tendency is to run forward after his forward kicks, but only to present a lateral option to his teammate. Whether that's because he's too tired/lazy to run the extra 20-30m and present a forward option, or because he's looking for cheap stats, or because he's following instructions, or because he just doesn't know how to work in a boundary-hugging system, I'm not sure. The teammate never delivered the ball back to him, but I suppose he still serves as a decoy. It's not inspiring stuff, either way. Such is the garbagefest that AFL has become in 2020 - I was watching Front Bar after last night's game and they were showing highlights of Sav Rocca, and at one point he kicked a goal to make it 42-35 with a minute left in the first quarter. That was last night's final @#$%&! score!! But I digress.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 am 
Robert Walls

We kick straight and we win.

We get it enough. We get it inside the forward 50 enough. We even work hard enough (see 3rd Q when we worked our arses off for @#$%&! all).

They can say the same, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:46 am 
Ken Hunter

Agreed, we did work hard, no issues there. Didn't just throw in the towel and play the fatigue card like the Suns did against us. I'm no tactical expert, but as someone mentioned earlier, it seemed criminal not to have a spare defender in the last Q to guard the space behind the contest: unforgivable that we conceded 3 goals just by them bombing over the top. Should have seen that coming a mile away, I remember when they beat Richmond a while back that was the entirety of their 2nd half gameplan and it worked a treat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:49 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Our efficiency (and their inaccuracy) served us well in the first quarter.

Our stark lack of efficiency in the second half cost us the game. Dominated the third quarter particularly for insufficient scoreboard return.

We have poor periods/quarters but our big issue at the moment imho is scoring when we have the game on our terms. We can dominate large periods of games without scoring and inflicting scoreboard pressure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

re: dominance, AFL teams are picking up on the soccer tactic known as counter-attacking football. Plenty of coaches (Jose Mourinho, notably) are happy to let the other team have the lion's share of possession, set up deep defensive lines and help to catch out the dominant team with a downfield punt to a speedy forward running into acres of space. With no offside trap available in Aussie Rules, coaches have to use a deep-lying spare defender to counter the tactic, and yet GWS's forward 50 was completely barren for long stretches of Q4. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

carntheblues wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Harry kicks 1-3 at the other end plus one that would have been a point except it was stopped on the line.

A good question. Jones and Williamson together twice cost us a goal, both of which should have been prevented if they talked!
Harry's misses weren't simple shots but you would hope at least 2 out of the 4 would be goals. In the end if Harry has the ball then we are at least playing the game in our forward 50 which is the game plan and means the opposition is not scoring. I thought the Jones/Williams incidents that cost us 2 goals were more frustrating and therefore worse given the way the game was played.

That incident you are referring to was comical, embarrassing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluechampion wrote:

And if they'd kicked straight in the first half?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:
re: dominance, AFL teams are picking up on the soccer tactic known as counter-attacking football. Plenty of coaches (Jose Mourinho, notably) are happy to let the other team have the lion's share of possession, set up deep defensive lines and help to catch out the dominant team with a downfield punt to a speedy forward running into acres of space. With no offside trap available in Aussie Rules, coaches have to use a deep-lying spare defender to counter the tactic, and yet GWS's forward 50 was completely barren for long stretches of Q4. I don't get it.

Simple answer
The work rate ain’t good enough.
Just like last week
Absolutely no excuse
All 18 teams in the same boat
Not just the defenders responsibility
Midfield Midfield Midfield

Weak Weak Weak
When the pressure really goes on many go missing
No names needed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

The last couple of weeks have been pretty embarrassing for the club. Cripps with his the Blues are back after the GC game. The pres that same week on SEN saying he couldn't help having a glance at the month ahead on the fixture re our finals chances.

Just focus on winning, week by week FFS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
The last couple of weeks have been pretty embarrassing for the club. Cripps with his the Blues are back after the GC game. The pres that same week on SEN saying he couldn't help having a glance at the month ahead on the fixture re our finals chances.

At least now we're getting ahead of ourselves after a win, instead of a 2-3 goal loss. Progress!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
CK95 wrote:

At least now we're getting ahead of ourselves after a win, instead of a 2-3 goal loss. Progress!

:lol:

Must admit that second half against the Pies was one of the better goalless halves I've seen us play in the last few years

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:23 pm 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

And if they'd kicked straight in the first half?

Please see the final line of the quoted post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Must be comforting as an opposition coach to know that Carlton need to be >40 points up to be almost certain to win.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

They were a it painful but also remember they haven't played much together. The first one was a yours, no yours, no yours moment...
We need stability in the back six.
Jones, Plowman and Weiters are getting it together as a team, although they all still make the odd mistake.. Well not Weiters so much.
Jones big strength is his ability in the air. Willo is better at ground level. They'll work it out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:46 pm 
Bert Deacon

once again our u 12 game plan of bombing the ball into a congested forward line cost us the game ,until we find mids that have breakaway speed and can choose best option we are not going to improve .Also players need a huge preseason to increase there running capabilities to provide an option ,get to fall of the ball .get to front of the pack either in our forward line or defence . Hodge made a statement wen doc had the ball in defence " said doc has no options like to see carlton players run and present " but it didn't happen so he kicks the ball to a contest on wing .I thought to myself this has always been our problem .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I don't think we are that far off.

Sack Barker.

Get Charlie back.

Retire a few.

Stop bombing inside 50.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:

FB who gives away 2 from embarrassing circumstances.
If he hadn't done that we would have won.

The FF held his marks and put a score on the board.

Ask me again next week. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

That Jones / Williamson gaff that led to a GWS goal was farcical ...... embarrassing

Good teams don't do that ..... middle of the road teams don't do that either

TALK

Basic stuff

TALK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next