Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
Plowman out is a huge out. I also have no doubt, he has been carrying something, hence not getting up for this one. If GWS play Cameron, Himmelberg, Finlayson and Riccardi forward, we might need to put Setterfield back. Robbing Pete to pay Paul but no other option and please don’t raise Casboult or McGovern.

Yep, without Marchbank and/or Plowman we lack a third tall defender. Williamson and Docherty will both probably have to play against bigger opponents. Levi would be there if the need arises, but I wouldn’t expect him to start back; Teague’s unlikely to alter our structure in reaction to theirs. Perhaps Macreadie could be a late change too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

cecil89 wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Plowman out is a huge out. I also have no doubt, he has been carrying something, hence not getting up for this one. If GWS play Cameron, Himmelberg, Finlayson and Riccardi forward, we might need to put Setterfield back. Robbing Pete to pay Paul but no other option and please don’t raise Casboult or McGovern.

Yep, without Marchbank and/or Plowman we lack a third tall defender. Williamson and Docherty will both probably have to play against bigger opponents. Levi would be there if the need arises, but I wouldn’t expect him to start back; Teague’s unlikely to alter our structure in reaction to theirs. Perhaps Macreadie could be a late change too.

My thoughts as well. If we were to play Levi back, you old think TDK would have stayed in the team.
Macreade could but I wouldn’t have thought he was fit enough. You never know though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
Always good coming up against a side where they have just announced that the coach has extended his contract.
Nothing seems to zap players more than finding the boss will be around that little bit longer

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

:lol: . I haven’t seen this but if true, I think it’s a huge mistake. I’m not impressed by Cameron.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Always good coming up against a side where they have just announced that the coach has extended his contract.
Nothing seems to zap players more than finding the boss will be around that little bit longer

:lol: . I haven’t seen this but if true, I think it’s a huge mistake. I’m not impressed by Cameron.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/coach-cameron-signs-contract-extension-with-giants-20200902-p55rmb.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:56 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Crusader wrote:
Much better balance with McGovern in for De Koning.

Agree. Can’t play the 3 bigs in one team. Gov and McKay are lead up players, Casboult is the contested pack player. Bolt and the Kind can’t play in the same team if Pittonet is #1 ruck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The Normal One wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Agree. Can’t play the 3 bigs in one team. Gov and McKay are lead up players, Casboult is the contested pack player. Bolt and the Kind can’t play in the same team if Pittonet is #1 ruck.

McKay is NOT a lead up player. He rarely leads at the ball carrier, preferring to lead out wide to the pocket for the almost impossible shot. If he were a lead up player, it would straighten us up and force the mids to go in low at him instead of lobbing it on his head or into the aforementioned pocket.
Gov is more so but even then is not usually the go to man.
The one huge issue I have with our forward setup, it is the way we go into F50, enabling the opposition defence (last week it was Moore) to get 3 Brownlow votes for intercept marks.
Give me Fev any day leading to space with Houlihan, Murphy and co feeding him. McKay could do it with SPS, Fisher, Cunningham., Martin making him work and giving him goals on a plate.
No reason he couldn't do it except he is lazy and prefers the easy option.
Look at Hawkins and his work rate at 30 ish.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:40 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
This club is @#$%&! clueless
DeKoning
This guy has been a ray of light and needs all the experience against a variety of opponents
Pittonet has been terrible lately
Good to see Cottrell
Sick of Guys handed games too
Same old same old

Sorry but Mumford is coke headed [REDACTED] who will make it his mission to cripple TDK. He is complete scum - whilst I agree with him being a ray of light the club is right to protect him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're onto something strange but true. Bermuda Triangle sort of stuff.

Come on Footy Gods.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Crusader wrote:

McKay is NOT a lead up player. He rarely leads at the ball carrier, preferring to lead out wide to the pocket for the almost impossible shot. If he were a lead up player, it would straighten us up and force the mids to go in low at him instead of lobbing it on his head or into the aforementioned pocket.
The one huge issue I have with our forward setup, it is the way we go into F50, enabling the opposition defence (last week it was Moore) to get 3 Brownlow votes for intercept marks.
Give me Fev any day leading to space with Houlihan, Murphy and co feeding him. McKay could do it with SPS, Fisher, Cunningham., Martin making him work and giving him goals on a plate.

You're right to say that McKay takes the easy option to lead wide, as has been referenced in the media this week, but that's a recent thing. McKay is a lead up KP. Just look at his games last year eg vs Doggies. The problem for the lead up forwards is there's nothing to lead up to when the mids just bomb it long hoping the ball comes to the feet of Betts Martin Gibbo Fish. That is not Harry's fault.

Those marks Moore took, whilst called intercept marks, we kicks directed at him not TDK, not Harry, not Bolt.

Murphy bombs it, Houla doesn't play anymore... you have a point about those who can make the difference with delivery.

I think you're assuming Harry is choosing to play the role as he is.
Last year we were crirical he was getting alot of his kicks too far from goal, but as we found out that's what was asked of him and Gov.

Have you seen the size and conditioning Hawkins has under his belt? Not his cock? You need to go back to when Hawkins was 23yo, 10 years ago. He wasn't that big and Harry's engine and speed wis much better imo. Not a fair comparison, but I get your point: work harder.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:20 am 
Rod Ashman

ferdinand wrote:
keogh wrote:
DeKoning
This guy has been a ray of light and needs all the experience against a variety of opponents
Good to see Cottrell
Same old same old

See I think if TDK played tomorrow they'd be loathe to play him next Tuesday against the Swans. Either way I think he misses one of these two games. Pittonet was very ordinary against the Pies, but I think this selection is a consequence of the fixture as much as anything. Your thoughts?

I agree. Mumford is a crash and bash ruckman and I would prefer him to bash and crash Pittonet rather than TDK at this stage of his development. He will then be cherry ripe for the last 3 games.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

MarkNo3 wrote:
keogh wrote:
DeKoning
Good to see Cottrell
Same old same old

Sorry but Mumford is coke headed [REDACTED] who will make it his mission to cripple TDK. He is complete scum - whilst I agree with him being a ray of light the club is right to protect him.

Could leave Pitto out, Bolt in the ruck and TDK forward, but I'm not fussed if they chose to protect TDK in this game after a 4 day break: he's only 20yo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:24 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Crusader wrote:

I think that (highlighted) says it all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 am 
Rod Ashman

Looking forward to a big response from our leaders, they were terrible last week.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

"Learnings" from last week we should see some improvement in.

At the centre bounce, Collingwood had a player run straight through the middle of the contest at pace looking for the tap. it wasn't always the same player but it happened time and time again. It turned out that Grundy was a bit off last week with his tapwork so it didn't come off too often.

We rarely use the corridor and as a result we don't set up well to defend it when somebody breaks the line at HB and runs through the centre square with support runners.
Last week we fell for it several times and learned nothing. That's because we have been a sucker for it for years. Maybe this week we will use it and defend it. I'm tipping GWS get several goals from turnovers at HB in this fashion.

The other thing we allowed last week was the outrider on the fat side. Collingwood players knew we were getting sucked in to the contest and twice went wide without even looking, knowing they had an outrider on the right wing in space and we got opened up.

Looking for a four quarter effort but expect to get pantsed by 30-40 points.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:22 pm 
Bert Deacon

we need to lower our eyes going forward that has been our problem (1 off) for many many games opposition just run it out and we can't match them .I dont want to see williams/whitfield running creating

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 pm 
Bob Chitty

We must break even in the midfield tonight to be any chance. If we’re beaten in the midfield, expect Cameron, Himmelberg, Riccardi, Finlayson and Greene to have field days. Only way we defend those tall or mid sized forwards (given we will be undersized) is if our midfield can get the ball going our way for our forwards to lock it in (allows Weiters, Jones and Doc to patrol behind the ball) and our midfielders put on significant pressure when GWS start to transition the ball. If we let them waltz out of stoppages and can’t defend the corridor, we’ll be smashed like the last two times they’ve embarrassed us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

Just wondering if Cripps is a late out because of his knee and Kennedy or Cuningham come in.

Probably will not happen but should if he is injured or just for the management. The team cannot continue to rely on him to the extent it does.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

Just win!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:54 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I'll be there. Been a long time since I attended a Carlton victory.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'm going too. Just look for the bald guy doing his Nut if we get ripped by the umpiring yet again.
(anyone else see Eddie getting physically picked up and hurled to the ground in the last quarter last week for no free?)

Sam P-S back in will bolster the balance of the backline again.
McGovern is the sorely needed extra tall target.

Now.... if the two Macs can just stand in the goal square and ONLY move when the ball heads in from the square AND both run full pelt at opposite 45 degree angles to take chest marks, we 'might' create numerous scoring opps from 35-40m.

p.s. look for Sam P-S's disposal efficiency. (consistently High)
p.p.s. if Cripps can get HIS above 75-80% we might actually win comfortably.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next