Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 pm 
Robert Walls

grrofunger wrote:
I'm not sure 4 points in a half is an 8th to 12th team type performance.

Agree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:57 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

keogh wrote:
We need more mids
The guys who were recruited for those roles have so far not delivered in that area
SPS
O’Brien
Kennedy
Setterfield
Dow
Cuningham
Stocker where is he
Lang
Martin
Polson
These guys are meant to be are midfield that bats deep
When Ed Curnow still stands out as the second best mid like dogs ball it says many things
When Collingwood started to gain ascendancy in the third we had no answer
In terms of the teams list this is where the problem lies

The Stocker comment was poor but the rest is correct I think. You could also add the mids who have been delisted, and our selections have been appalling.
SOS drafted a number of these guys twice and the best are solid AFL players. Why didn't we get Adams, Treloar, Steele? We chose poorly.

We have had a power of early picks and we have stuffed them up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

McConville33 wrote:
keogh wrote:
We need more mids
The guys who were recruited for those roles have so far not delivered in that area
SPS
O’Brien
Kennedy
Setterfield
Dow
Cuningham
Stocker where is he
Lang
Martin
Polson
These guys are meant to be are midfield that bats deep
When Ed Curnow still stands out as the second best mid like dogs ball it says many things
When Collingwood started to gain ascendancy in the third we had no answer
In terms of the teams list this is where the problem lies

The Stocker comment was poor but the rest is correct I think. You could also add the mids who have been delisted, and our selections have been appalling.
SOS drafted a number of these guys twice and the best are solid AFL players. Why didn't we get Adams, Treloar, Steele? We chose poorly.

We have had a power of early picks and we have stuffed them up.

Your entitled to your opinion about Stocker
To respect the individual the specific reason is unclear as to why he isn’t with the team

But to me there is the other side
Footy is a ruthless business
It doesn’t matter much this year
I hope as we all do that he overcomes his problems enough to play footy
But there comes a point you have to cut your losses
If the situation is the same when his contract is up What do you do?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:12 pm 
Wayne Johnston

We didn't get value for our elite pressure on the scoreboard. The forward press did not bear fruit as it should. Well played to Collingwood for absorbing the onslaught and then cashing in once we were cooked. The extra ruck is not worth it if we are trying the relentless pressure game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Jonosc1 wrote:
Just watched the press conference.

Can anyone remember a coach refer more to playing our way.

We need to be able to play, and score when we can’t or are not allowed to play our way.
Coach whisperer rubbish speak

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:22 pm 
John James

Sydney Blue wrote:
Jonosc1 wrote:

We need to be able to play, and score when we can’t or are not allowed to play our way.

Then good coaching has plans for different scenarios. One you can control and what to do if you can't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
keogh wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Martin has been in the system for a while
His work rate was average at the GC
That was the knock on him
Again compare him to Other players who play a similar rolein the top teams
You can argue that he cost us the game against Port because he put in an 80% effort at a crucial stage
He doesn’t give 100% at every contest
Overrated KK

Martin is NOT the problem. He’s one of the few players who plays with consistent heart and desire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s crap
You overrate your opinion, put up a poll on Martin and see what the response is.
Will be all Australian within 3 years

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Martin got hit lace out 45 out from goal. He had options either side he could have given off to but chose to go back and take the set shot.
You burn your mates like that you take responsibility.
Then when defence is set to try and pass off to the 2nd worst set shot player in the team was a complete brain fade.
Kick the goal and who knows what happens after half time.
Martin is a very good player but like a lot of very good players who have come to this club they often take off their heads and put on a pumpkin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:42 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Yep he stuffed up

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

Second to the ball on most occasions, timing seemed to be out.
Just not desperate enough .... Pies killed us in that department.
No real tackling pressure and like others have mentioned you have MM and LC playing for frees.
The talls couldn't catch a ball and worst of all .....
We made Cox look good

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
We’re an 8th to 12th team and when we play like one people lose their shit.

Funny stuff.

grrofunger wrote:
I'm not sure 4 points in a half is an 8th to 12th team type performance.

Yep - that second half (particularly the final quarter) was not AFL standard.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

club29 wrote:
We didn't get value for our elite pressure on the scoreboard. The forward press did not bear fruit as it should. Well played to Collingwood for absorbing the onslaught and then cashing in once we were cooked. The extra ruck is not worth it if we are trying the relentless pressure game.
Spot on... TDK mark gets paid, Martin kicks it.... maybe Cripps, the game is different.

We dominated the game and didn't get enough reward.... Extra tall also killed us I'm guessing, ran out of legs like we were short of players.

Moore was where our long kicks would go.... and we kept sending them there... So add some dumb footy as well....

Lots to improve upon... But we were taught a lesson today... We'd better learn....

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:20 pm 
John James

I knew we were done at 3/4 time. We just looked spent and all-worked-out after spending all our petrol tickets in the third. I wanted to be wrong but I saw no indication in the last that we were ever going to rectify it. I never switch off, no matter how badly we're going, but the shitbag of dreadful and clueless just kept presenting itself, and I was so close to breaking my 'keep watching' rule before the filth had even managed a comfortable lead. Perhaps the Hawks game had weakened my resolve. Michael Gleeson in the Age summed up my feelings pretty well. This was a massive opportunity lost.

To the positives...

TDK has a future. He will eventually emerge from the which-rucks-to-play dilemma smelling of roses. And he was robbed of a shot on goal at quarter time - either a mark or arms chopped (it was him, wasn't it? Come on memory, it wasn't that long ago...actually, please forget this game.)

Walsh gets a pass mark as per usual.

As does Weitering.

Eddie B didn't do his chances of another year any harm.

Ed C reliable enough.

Newnes gets to stay because he's one of the few who can actually kick a regular goal or two under pressure.

Jones made some mistakes on Godzilla but he wasn't too bad.

Fisher serviceable and should have been given more of a run in the middle when things were going pear-shaped.

Ummm...

My overall under-analysis is that, not for the first time this year, our forward entry system is just not. This has replaced our long-running pre-Teague (possibly pre-Bolton) inability to cleanly exit from our kick-outs. It's not our only problem, of course, but it was exploited painfully by an undermanned filth outfit today.

And I hope we have a good look at the tape this week to highlight some passages in the second half where we appeared to have 3 or 4 players around a loose ball somehow letting one of theirs steal it away. (That was when they didn't have their usual 3 or 4 players at the contest to our 1 or 2 as the second half wore on.)

This one hurt because of the rivalry, the hoopla about the 1970 anniversary, the fact they were undermanned and ready for the slaughter and for us to possibly take their finals spot, and because I can still remember being at last year's umpiring travesty (not a factor this time). The Hawks match hurts more as time goes on because seemingly no other team has a problem with beating them in the last ten weeks but we made them look like rock stars after taking the boot off their neck, when we already have such a poor recent record against them. We've tried to lose some other matches but this year's Dork/Filth combo just sucks balls. Whatever Carlton team turns up for the rest of the season, please please please let's not be the only team to lose to Adelaide. At least turn up for four quarters, every week, and have a crack, finals or no.

Opportunity squandered.

I'm drained but I'll 'turn up' for the next one in hope, as always.

Go Blues. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
Senior players who were poor:
Murphy
Cripps
Docherty
Plowman
Casboult
Martin

Senior players who stood up:
Curnow
Weitering
Newnes
Betts
Jones

Senior players who were just ok:
Simpson

Young players who were poor:
McKay

Young players who were good:
Walsh
Fisher
Setterfield

The rest:
De Koning
Dow
Polson
Gibbons
Pittonet
Williamson

You're too tough on De Koning ... back off ... or explain it.

A for the rest ... spot on.... Martin looked tad better and more desperate than all the others on your senior players list imo ... @#$%&! em all.

Shows a lot of promise. Looks like he’ll be a player for the future. I’m just judging him on today’s performance. 6 disposals, 7 hitouts. Didn’t think he let us down at all, but didn’t think he had a big impact on the game. In contrast, the 3 young guys I classified as good all had genuine impact on the contest.

If umpires did their job properly, Tom would have been a star today ... bathing in sunshine ... and maybe in glory. Agree to disagree...he was better than Levi and Pitto imo...how old is he again? CompARED TO THE 2 i JUST MENTINED? oops typo...bad luck

This is the thing, Bondi, I don’t care how old he is. Could be 18 or 38; makes no difference. I’m just judging on his impact on today’s game.
I thought his game was better than Levi (who I said was poor) and on par with Pittonet’s.

I getcha :thumbsup:
I think Tom is worth persevering with in the ruck. He has a crack every contest. Stats dont show that.

I thought Pitto was very clumsy and too slow to play on Grundy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
If you can't see value in Martin it's time to watch a different sport

Kk
He looks a million dollars but doesn’t do enough
Doesn’t work hard enough

You take that shot
It was a game killer

Martin does work hard.
Aggressive. He sets the bar and the tone.

I don't know if he was spent having that shot, but I was disappointed he didn't give the goals a go.
The pass to Cripps was crap, and why would you pass the ball to Cripps to have a shot?
Goal kickers should be taking shots at goal in the forwardline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Jonosc1 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:40 am 
Laurie Kerr

Taken a bit to digest that loss.

Unpopular opinion: Rest Cripps for the rest of the year. He's either carrying an injury, or his head isn't fully in the game. Let him go back to Melbourne where his partner obviously needs him and let him come back fitter and better next season. Set the playing group a challenge of winning the footy without him.

I really don't see what Dow brings to the table. Everyone keeps saying how quick he is but you'd never know it from watching yesterdays game. Not strong enough to tackle and not good enough by hand or foot.

Murphy and Simpson have been loyal soldiers for us for many years, but if both play on next wearing navy blue then this club is going nowhere. We need their replacements and we need them yesterday.

Williamson tries to do too much at times and more often than not he gets caught out but I love that he has a crack and backs himself in. The sooner Plowman isn't considered to be in our best 22, the better we will be as a football club.

Not too many positives to take from yesterday's game but hopefully the reality check needed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:52 am 
Adrian Gallagher

carntheblues wrote:
I think a lot of people on this site get overexcited by glimpses of a developing team and then write a lot of tripe when we perform at the level we are at. We were in the game at half time and should have been further in front. Collingwood apparently changed up their high half forward in the second half which changed the momentum of the game. The third quarter was still tight though and I do not think we got smashed then. We clearly were getting tired though as second efforts were dropping off. I thought we could have made some changes to get Gibbons and Fisher around the ball to provide some spark. The last quarter was clearly disappointing. With regards to your comments regarding the players listed all I will say is I do not think any player who plays AFL is soft and like all things continuity provides the best opportunity to improve and develop which a number of players have not had.

You sound like a Melbourne supporter. Well played old chap ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:36 am 
Craig Bradley

david31 wrote:
Someone needs to find a way to bridgde gap between our best and worst. Our best can serve it up to anyone. Our worst is up there with the worst in the competition. We’ve seen our worst for quarters and halves in almost half the games this year (Richmond, Melbourne, St Kilda, Hawthorn, West Coast and Collingwood). I understand we won’t play well every week or every quarter but our worst can’t be a 0/10. It must be a 3-4/10 otherwise we’ll just continue to tease and never actually achieve much. A big step backwards today. Every time we play 1-2 good games, it’s followed by a stinker. Every time the expectation comes, we crumble. We need more talent but we mainly need to kick the loser mentality that has festered for too long. Too often we fall back into old loser habits.

Good post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
I'll admit I was quietly confident going into this game, massive kick in the pants.

I haven't given up on Dow but as sidefx said earlier, in hindsight maybe bringing in both he & Polson in the same week cost us. Cottrell wouldn't have been too bad for us today. Polson looked OK when he got it but that wasn't often.

That second half was just a giant WTF just happened moment, to me. I wouldn't say we had one of our complete lapses but we just looked so one dimensional going in forward. What happened? I can't follow the coaching moves but interested to hear from others like BV what did we do & not do after half time? & did Buckley re-jig their defence or something.

Really, really wanted more from Casboult today.

I thought we missed Mcgovern, needed someone to create & use the ball cleverly & make us a bit more unpredictable in attack.

Got pantsed.

Reading through the pages on everyones takes to what happened, what should have happened and what was expected.
There seems to be a bit to take from everyone.
As far as coaching goes, Teague is not much better than Bolton in the fact they are both one dimensional at times. This is not solely their fault, a developing playing list with a sprinkle of seniors that are not as good as some would rate can do this.
The only obvious change Teague has made since taking over is playing more of the senior players to try and win games. And if a couple of them have a bad day (as they do in all teams) we are exposed, and probably more so given our list of developing players and more importantly the ratio of developing players to senior players. I'm not sure on an exact number but if you look at the filth yesterday they wouldn't have had more than 6 or so developing players in their side, the rest are seasoned (and they would've had less if they could have).
Teague has no plan B, adjustment to plan A etc as the only plan is add experience to win games and until we either get more experienced senior players into the team or the younger ones develop more (which I think they are), we will not be able to match it with top 8 teams when it counts. And as I said at the start of the year when they changed the runner rules, with more experienced players at the end of their careers (e.g. the Lions model), the on field leadership will be better and hopefully it will put an end to these 30pt swings.
However, I do believe that winning the amount of games we have this year and the glimpses of the brand of football we can play, the club is doing all the right things to attract the senior players we need to stand up during games like yesterday. Not to mention the younger players on the fringe that would want to train harder and play harder to get a spot in the team.
I like you CK were slightly confident (even though I knew better, especially after the soft win we had against the Suns) going into this game and I guess the disappointment hit harder than normal also, plus we were playing the filth.
Going forward for the rest of the year, deano has the right idea, it's time to mix it up. Get some more of the kids in, swap some positions (put SPS in the forward line FFS) and see what we have going into the trading season and draft.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am 
Craig Bradley

SackedByMack wrote:
I really don't see what Dow brings to the table. Everyone keeps saying how quick he is but you'd never know it from watching yesterdays game. Not strong enough to tackle and not good enough by hand or foot.

I no longer think strength is the issue, it's the want to tackle and apply pressure. He needs reprogramming, so he no longer sees defensive pressure as optional.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next