Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

jim wrote:
We just need to stop those run-ons. Cost us most of our losses. If we can actually stop those we won't lose many games for the rest of the year, like we wouldn't have lost many up to now. Not easy as training sessions are few with so many games happening. Can put an extra behind the ball, a forward into the midfield and try to slow the game down but you really need the training sessions to structure that up and practice properly.

In the early 80s we used to have those runs-ons on a near weekly basis during the premiership 3rd qtr, no-one could stop it, now it happens to us on a near weekly basis at any random point of the game.

Ah those Premiership 3rd quarters! What a pleasant memory :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:15 pm 
Bob Chitty

jim wrote:
We just need to stop those run-ons. Cost us most of our losses. If we can actually stop those we won't lose many games for the rest of the year, like we wouldn't have lost many up to now. Not easy as training sessions are few with so many games happening. Can put an extra behind the ball, a forward into the midfield and try to slow the game down but you really need the training sessions to structure that up and practice properly.

In the early 80s we used to have those runs-ons on a near weekly basis during the premiership 3rd qtr, no-one could stop it, now it happens to us on a near weekly basis at any random point of the game.

Agree with you Jim. I think there’s a few tweaks we could try to mitigate against the run ons (such as playing a few minutes of slow keepings off footy or putting an extra behind the ball). However, my worry is a lot of the problem may be personnel based which can’t be changed immediately. I’m referring mainly to the midfield group.

Firstly, I think games are now largely won and lost in the middle and our current midfield group just isn’t good enough yet. We’re generally playing Cripps, Ed, Setters and Kennedy through the middle with Murph, Walsh and Newnes rotating through the wings. Cripps is the only A grader in that group and he’s desperately out of form. Walsh, Setters and Kennedy are coming along well but they’re not A grade at the moment. Murph and Ed are the wrong side of 30. Newnes is an honest battler and role player. When we’ve lost this year, I feel like we’ve been smacked around the ball (early against Richmond, early against Melbourne, early against St Kilda, after quarter time vs. Hawthorn and second half vs Eagles). This is largely due to these other teams having much stronger midfields (West Coast on the weekend had probably 4/5 genuine A graders in there - Kelly, Yeo, Gaff and Shuey plus Sheed was probably best on). Our guys in the middle are doing admirably to break even for long stretches but often there’s a point in the game where they just can’t hold the opposition midfield and it leads to an avalanche of quick scores.

Secondly, our midfield is also very average defensively. Cripps, Setters and Kennedy are too slow defensively - they can’t stop the spread if they let the ball out of the initial congestion. Murph can no longer consistently stick tackles and doesn’t run hard defensively. Newnes a relative non factor here too. The only two that run well defensively are Walsh and Ed, and Ed isn’t quick so he’s limited in this area. I see this as a big reason why, once a team gets on top around the ball, they convert it into an avalanche of goals because the ball carriers aren’t being pressured enough, so the ball is moving quickly and our defence is caught out of position.

Fortunately, I think we can ultimately address this issue by developing the young mids already on our list and recruiting midfielders in the off season (so we have more A graders through the midfield). Specifically, we need to introduce more speed into the midfield group so we can stop the opposition’s midfield better.

Bert Deacon

we can stop those run ons , if we stop this bloody u12 long bombs into our fwd line,i believe the opposition knows this and guess what there attack starts from our forward line .

Craig Bradley

CFC8795 wrote:
jim wrote:

Ah those Premiership 3rd quarters! What a pleasant memory :thumbsup:

One of my few joys of being older...lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm 
Robert Walls

bluebo baggers wrote:
Tickets sorted. First time since 1993 I will have got to 3 games in a row.

Desperate for a win.

By the time I had a choice, the Carlton members tickets were up on the top tier behind the goals. Managed to get tickets today... on the top tier on the wing.

going to be a lot of Freo bandwagon supporters there on Saturday night.

Feelgood Hit of the Winter - GHRP-2, GHRP-6, CJC-1295, AOD-9604, Humanofort and Hexarelin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:58 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Still recovering from the Hawks debacle. Couldn’t go last week due to sons footy.

We are both going Sat. Fingers crossed....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:36 pm 
Bert Deacon

i believe we will beat freo ,why this time the roles are reversed .they have a young fantastic mids,maybe get walters back , forwards kicking goals ,good pressure and thank you MEDIA.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
i believe we will beat freo ,why this time the roles are reversed .they have a young fantastic mids,maybe get walters back , forwards kicking goals ,good pressure and thank you MEDIA.

All we need is for Robert Walls to write his annual “rocket up Matthew Pavlich article” and we’d be all set.

:razz:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

All we need is for Robert Walls to write his annual “rocket up Matthew Pavlich article” and we’d be all set.

:razz:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:13 pm 
Robert Walls

So I've scored a couple of corporate seats so have 2 tickets front row of level 5 behind the goals in the CFC supporters area (1 adult, one concession)

Any Perth crew looking for seats please message me and they're yours.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

HUGE match for us.
Must win but big danger game. I think Freo has won 4 of its last 6 games.
Their young guns have been lauded. Ours questioned. Hopefully, this puts a rocket up our boys.

I think we have improved significantly this season. But we need to show this on the scoreboard.
7 matches to go, and I would very much like to see us win 4 of these. If we end up with 3 more wins, no blowouts and several games lost by under a goal & even after the siren, I will take that as a positive step forward. But 8 wins for the year would look a lot better in the shortened season...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

umpires Mollison, Harris, Heffernan

22 gets the Hawks game

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:

22 gets the Hawks game

Have Hawthorn got a supply of KY ready, or is Nathan going to go in dry?

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:30 pm 
formerly King Kenny

AGRO wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

22 gets the Hawks game

Just read he got the Eagles again. Could t happen to a better team this week though :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Normal One wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

22 gets the Hawks game

Just read he got the Eagles again. Could t happen to a better team this week though :-)

That is Corruption 101.

Get a local umpire to umpire the local team ... again.

When will the AFL Commission be cleaned up? Needs a total clean out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:

22 gets the Hawks game

Thanks Horse :thumbsup:

Now, how do we find out their home of origin is ... and who they barrack for.

Mollison ... never heard of him, but his name in Ancient Greek means "Infected" ... interesting.

Harris ... never heard of him, but his name in Ancient Greek means "Happiness" ... interesting

Heffernan ... sounds like a *Druggies player ... that's petrifying

I'm still uncomfortable with the umpires. Anyone know anything about them?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Whilst I expect Teague to continue making minimal changes regardless of form and development.

The obvious change therefore is

OUT: Martin
IN: McKay

In addition, I'd like to see

IN: McKay, Dow
OUT: Martin (inj), Newnes (omitted)

I expect Teague to select Cottrell to go out if Dow comes in.
If Dow is selected, I think Teague will go like for like changes and McKay for DeKoning and Dow for Martin.

For mine, who is ommitted was a toss up between Newnes, Cottrell and Simpson. Yes Simmo. I feel he's been a bit slow and looks like he needs a rest.

I thought Cottrell's speed and development gains, and Simmo's ability to play the 7th defender, releasing Docherty to wing like last week points to Newnes.
I want SPS to play HFF/mid for more creativity down there instead of bombing the ball high to Levi and Harry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

IN: McKay Dow
OUT: Martin Newnes

B: Plowman Jones Cottrell
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson

C: Setterfield Walsh Murphy
R: Pittonet Cripps E.Curnow

HF: Kennedy McKay SPS
F: Betts Casboult Fisher

IC: Simpson Dow Gibbons DeKoning

I feel we really need to have DeKoning there for insurance, rotation and development, let alone not robbing us of any of our 2 KPF's in the ruck.

There's a few players the heat will be on for their recent form: Williamson, Simpson, Gibbons.
I'm not a huge fan of Kennedy, but his marking last week, both ends of the ground, was a feature, and we need that 3rd tall in the HFF with Co and Jack out injured.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

Dumb question, probably already answered.
When does the Club announce the team for the Freo game?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CFC8795 wrote:
Dumb question, probably already answered.
When does the Club announce the team for the Freo game?

6.20pm EST tonight I believe

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next