Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

79Vintage wrote:
Dekoning first ruck

That was my first thought too.

Big day for young bloke.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:35 pm 
Rod Ashman

Just win! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

HTP wrote:
If there's a honey pun in there, jake_h03, it's well disguised.

H I've heard may play, btw.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

79Vintage wrote:
Dekoning first ruck

Deckon you're right.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

There isn't much "hurt factor" in the Freo lineup.
If we are switched on and manage to keep Fyfe and Walters quiet then we should win.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Its wet

Our inside mids can go at it head on all game.

Cripps and E.Curnow

vs

Fyfe and Mundy

then all the nuances thereafter including wing men.

Bring it on.

Love the kids on display.
Real honest, hard at it kids.

DeKoning
Cottrell
Honey

plus Walsh, and there's a lot of energy and enthusiasm Teague has bought into the mix.

Like Teague said, something like..."[we will get the job done]"

We want to play finals. Its for real, whilst its possible.
I expect us to make the 8 ...just.

Its Rock n Roll Footy 2020.
Big Bash.
Anything can happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

HTP wrote:

There certainly is. A little obscure I must admit. The relevant audience has probably shrunk over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

jake_h03 wrote:
HTP wrote:

There certainly is. A little obscure I must admit. The relevant audience has probably shrunk over the years

took me a while to get this, well done

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

Honey in
Cottrell in
DeKoning first ruck
Casboult second ruck
Good

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jake_h03 wrote:
For me, this season has shown we still need some serious improvement across the board. We don’t have enough putting in match winning performances. Most are doing their job, getting a pass mark, but we need more. We’re no longer a team full of kids so we can’t just expect that improvement to come naturally. I think we need the improvement to come from underneath. The young guys need opportunity to step up, like Port’s young players have done. It needs to be more about Dow, O’Brien, Stocker, TDK, Philp, Honey etc and less about Murphy, Simmo, Newnes

Good to see Honey get a game. From all reports he’s quick and hard at it. We need this kind of energy.

Dow has to come in. He’s exactly the sort of midfielder we’re missing. We’ve got a lot of one paced players around the ball, Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Ed, even Murph is not explosive. Dow can win the hard ball but gives us some burst around the ball as well. His contested numbers were really impressive in his first season as an 18 year old. Time to give him a shot at that role again.

The other one for me is I’d drop Pitto for McKay and let TDK and Levi share the rucking duties. It seems harsh, Pittonet has been better than any of us could have hoped, but I don’t think he’s ever going to be a dominant ruckman. TDK has the potential to be Grundy, Gawn, Nic Nat level ruckman IMO. Last week I felt the game swung back in WC favour when Pit came back on and Tom was forced out of the ruck. I don’t think Pittonet offers enough up forward to be worth selection if TDK is going to be taking half the rucking duties, and Levi is more than capable of swapping in the ruck. Levi, TDK, McKay, and Pittonet seems too tall for my liking

So I’d go
IN McKay, Dow, Honey
OUT: Pitto, Martin, and one of Murph, Simmo, or Newnes

And FFS get SPS up the ground. On ball, wing, HFF, whatever, just stop wasting him in defence

It's because we never pick top picks with 'x' factor. Our top picks are always safe. I know it's a big thing to get it right but we did it again last year.
We never pick a Kozzy Pickett type. We prefer a Kemp, a Walsh, a Dow, a Gibbs, a Murphy.
I'm sure Kemp qill be a gun but we really need a Hill/Cameron/Papley who can turn a game in 5 minutes. I think SPS is the closes we have taken in the draft but h is being wasted down back when he could be playing free footy upfield. Martin has the skills but we didn't pick him up in the draft.
Our game changer is Cripps but he isn't a goal kicker.
Nice to see another debutant in Honey this week.
The team is the third oldest in the comp on average but take out Simmo, Ed, MM and Eddie and the age drops a LOT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
For me, this season has shown we still need some serious improvement across the board. We don’t have enough putting in match winning performances. Most are doing their job, getting a pass mark, but we need more. We’re no longer a team full of kids so we can’t just expect that improvement to come naturally. I think we need the improvement to come from underneath. The young guys need opportunity to step up, like Port’s young players have done. It needs to be more about Dow, O’Brien, Stocker, TDK, Philp, Honey etc and less about Murphy, Simmo, Newnes

Good to see Honey get a game. From all reports he’s quick and hard at it. We need this kind of energy.

Dow has to come in. He’s exactly the sort of midfielder we’re missing. We’ve got a lot of one paced players around the ball, Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Ed, even Murph is not explosive. Dow can win the hard ball but gives us some burst around the ball as well. His contested numbers were really impressive in his first season as an 18 year old. Time to give him a shot at that role again.

The other one for me is I’d drop Pitto for McKay and let TDK and Levi share the rucking duties. It seems harsh, Pittonet has been better than any of us could have hoped, but I don’t think he’s ever going to be a dominant ruckman. TDK has the potential to be Grundy, Gawn, Nic Nat level ruckman IMO. Last week I felt the game swung back in WC favour when Pit came back on and Tom was forced out of the ruck. I don’t think Pittonet offers enough up forward to be worth selection if TDK is going to be taking half the rucking duties, and Levi is more than capable of swapping in the ruck. Levi, TDK, McKay, and Pittonet seems too tall for my liking

So I’d go
IN McKay, Dow, Honey

And FFS get SPS up the ground. On ball, wing, HFF, whatever, just stop wasting him in defence

It's because we never pick top picks with 'x' factor. Our top picks are always safe. I know it's a big thing to get it right but we did it again last year.
We never pick a Kozzy Pickett type. We prefer a Kemp, a Walsh, a Dow, a Gibbs, a Murphy.
I'm sure Kemp qill be a gun but we really need a Hill/Cameron/Papley who can turn a game in 5 minutes. I think SPS is the closes we have taken in the draft but h is being wasted down back when he could be playing free footy upfield. Martin has the skills but we didn't pick him up in the draft.

Menzel, Yarran were X factor, but they’re icing on the cake types - we never had cake to start with to justify using first round picks on them.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

So I’d go
IN McKay, Dow, Honey

We never pick a Kozzy Pickett type.
We prefer a Kemp, a Walsh, a Dow, a Gibbs, a Murphy.
Nice to see another debutant in Honey this week.
The team is the third oldest in the comp on average but take out Simmo, Ed, MM and Eddie and the age drops a LOT.

Yarran and Menzel?

Curnow and Cuningham have X factor. Yet X factor players can appear inconsistent if they don't play midfield and get more of the ball than Cuningham has shown to date. Menzel needed Jack Silvagni's attitude, hardness and willingness to improve. I guess Jack kicked a workmanlike six goals in a game for Vic Metro. :thumbsup:

Our best X factor draft selection was Walker who had mongrel, hardness, elite endurance and the workrate to overcome a lot of injuries.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:22 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Charlie has massive x factor

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 am 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Teague likes them to be banging the door down: no gifting games mantra.
Hence Dow might not be picked. Probably given one more week.

Last week's Emergencies are usually a good hint of the order of things:

Polson ... tried at BP preseason ... showed good sign ... Simmo's spot?
Moore ... been tried and DeKoning has his spot now.
Philp ... no reason other than he wasnt named BOG last week. Him or Cottrell for speed.
Honey ... everyone has been expecting him to play since round 1, when he was named emergrncy.

Its probably time for Honey in the wild west. Moreso than Dow.

Honey is the only like for like for Martin.
Honey is strong at the ball and man. Quick to get out of trouble. Strong.

I guess you can say the same about Philp.
But it's probably Honey time.

I do plead with the MC to keep Cottrell at BP, to learn from Simmo, on field.
Master and Apprentice on field tuition.

If the MC don't give Cottrell another week then please give us the speed of Philp. We need some more speed.
I love what Ive seen of Philp thus far. I heard/read ? he needed a rest, but I don't buy that one.

Those not on the emergency will need to keep banging down the door, and that's just for a taste, and chance to make a spot yours.

I expect Dow's name to be as the Emergency, having been named BOG in 12 v 12 last week.

That rule should also apply to those who are not performing at senior level week after week. Have seen other coaches this year drop big name players. Teague refuses to do it

I have my views of who couldve been dropped/rested (Murphy Betts Simmo Newnes SPS come to mind) but I'm not part of the inner sanctum so its hard to get a read on their roles. Having said that, we've won 4/10 and unfortunately, 4/12 is not impossible...Them are not good numbers where most spots in the senior side are safe

I'll declare my hand...I wanted to see Dow in this week for any of the 4 above...didn't happen. vent over

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:27 am 
John James

Low expectations of this team tonight re substandard on field leadership as demonstrated so many times. Plenty of talk but will they deliver? Hoping for strong showings from TDK, Cottrel and Honey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:44 am 
Rod Ashman

I’m wondering what LOB isn’t doing to be consistently overlooked.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:56 am 
Rod Ashman

DesEnglish wrote:

we sponsored him

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:04 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Arnhem blues wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

we sponsored him

:lol:

Sometimes I wonder why TC bother sponsoring given the club probably hates this place :sly:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:

He has obviously fallen behind in the queue since the end of last season when he was a real obvious good story for the future.
He isn't making the 4 Emergencies named, even when there's 7 first 22 on the injured list.

He said during the preseason he knows what he has to work on, and expected to build his body over the next year [2020].
Maybe this was going to be the year AR builds him up. Sounds like the psychologist needs to get in his ear as well.
Not sure if our psychologist works wonders in the mongrel domain; a necessary mental ingredient for succes and flags.

What has been said by coaching staff is he needs to be amongst the best and show more physical presence.
I guess that implies strength at the contest.

He needs to put on a bit more muscle?
He needs to show a bit of mongrel towards his opponent.

What we know is he is an elite runner, can run faster longer than most on our list.
He has a good left peg on him.

He's on the outer, but I still see him as the hard running wingman we drafted him for, for with reduction of lists and a few class players coming in via Trade, he needs to get on the angry pills asap...yesterday, or he will be yesterday's man.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Arnhem blues wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

we sponsored him

This point should not be overlooked.

We have an unbelievable record/ abilty to jinx sponsored players

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next