Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Kouta wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
For me, this season has shown we still need some serious improvement across the board. We don’t have enough putting in match winning performances. Most are doing their job, getting a pass mark, but we need more. We’re no longer a team full of kids so we can’t just expect that improvement to come naturally. I think we need the improvement to come from underneath. The young guys need opportunity to step up, like Port’s young players have done. It needs to be more about Dow, O’Brien, Stocker, TDK, Philp, Honey etc and less about Murphy, Simmo, Newnes

Good to see Honey get a game. From all reports he’s quick and hard at it. We need this kind of energy.

Dow has to come in. He’s exactly the sort of midfielder we’re missing. We’ve got a lot of one paced players around the ball, Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Ed, even Murph is not explosive. Dow can win the hard ball but gives us some burst around the ball as well. His contested numbers were really impressive in his first season as an 18 year old. Time to give him a shot at that role again.

The other one for me is I’d drop Pitto for McKay and let TDK and Levi share the rucking duties. It seems harsh, Pittonet has been better than any of us could have hoped, but I don’t think he’s ever going to be a dominant ruckman. TDK has the potential to be Grundy, Gawn, Nic Nat level ruckman IMO. Last week I felt the game swung back in WC favour when Pit came back on and Tom was forced out of the ruck. I don’t think Pittonet offers enough up forward to be worth selection if TDK is going to be taking half the rucking duties, and Levi is more than capable of swapping in the ruck. Levi, TDK, McKay, and Pittonet seems too tall for my liking

So I’d go
IN McKay, Dow, Honey
OUT: Pitto, Martin, and one of Murph, Simmo, or Newnes

And FFS get SPS up the ground. On ball, wing, HFF, whatever, just stop wasting him in defence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's because we never pick top picks with 'x' factor. Our top picks are always safe. I know it's a big thing to get it right but we did it again last year.
We never pick a Kozzy Pickett type.
We prefer a Kemp, a Walsh, a Dow, a Gibbs, a Murphy.
I'm sure Kemp qill be a gun but we really need a Hill/Cameron/Papley who can turn a game in 5 minutes. I think SPS is the closes we have taken in the draft but h is being wasted down back when he could be playing free footy upfield. Martin has the skills but we didn't pick him up in the draft.
Our game changer is Cripps but he isn't a goal kicker.
Nice to see another debutant in Honey this week.
The team is the third oldest in the comp on average but take out Simmo, Ed, MM and Eddie and the age drops a LOT.

Yarran and Menzel?

Curnow and Cuningham have X factor. Yet X factor players can appear inconsistent if they don't play midfield and get more of the ball than Cuningham has shown to date. Menzel needed Jack Silvagni's attitude, hardness and willingness to improve. I guess Jack kicked a workmanlike six goals in a game for Vic Metro. :thumbsup:

Our best X factor draft selection was Walker who had mongrel, hardness, elite endurance and the workrate to overcome a lot of injuries.

All those mentioned have x factor. Menzel was a bit stuck up, and played like he expected success, rather than making it happen. I wonder why?

I tend to look at the character of the elite talent we have selected.

My position is whilst the players drafted have elite talent helped along and privelege. I tend to think the privelege lives they have come from that have shaped them as footballers, and that they may have the best doctors, psychologists, physios, schooling and private coaching money can buy, they are not hungry and naturally gifted footballers.

I find it interesting that the best footballers in the world come from poverty stricken suburbs, and are plucked from obscurity for their never say day attitudes. They have nothing to lose.

My godson chose round the ball over the oval ball, which was fortunate for him. At 14yo he was invited to Spain to try out for a spot in the juniors of a huge club. He was the only 1 of 2 white Aussie kids up against Brazilians, Colombians, Spaniards...and other Europeans, rich and poor. Those from Sth America were generally from poor background with freak talent and were desperate, dirty and did not allow any priveleged white boy from Australia easy access to take away their once in a lifetime opportunity from them and they did whatever they could to mame.

Keogh keeps presenting opportunity of talent sitting in the other leagues outside the privelege of the Private school and TAC system waiting to be discovered; they are desperate to succeed.

I reckon our players are too nice, cotton wooled, not desperate enough to succeed, in short, too soft to succeed in the brutal game of Aussie Rules. They lack mongrel, and I don't see the psychologis or the coach teaching or encouraging the kids to bring out their internal mongrel to play unsociable finals football; nothing t do with x factor.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Still expecting heavy rain and heavy winds coming through late this afternoon and early evening.
I guess that means during the game.

We play good wet weather footy thus far in 2020.

We need this desperately, not just for finals but to have a relatively good year that shows a lot of potential for 2021.

Honey with his low centre of gravity and powerful legs will eat up these type of conditions.
I love the kids we have selected in this team.
There's enough energy they bring in to excite the elder statesmen who, lets face it, need to step up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:39 am 
Geoff Southby

Get a wriggle on Blues.This is a must win game no ifs or butts.We have as much talent and are further ahead development wise.........reckon its really up to our second tier players to push into the top bracket,and i will name names......Setterfield,Kennedy and PetSet,if they take the next step,we win.I reckon they have what it takes and they will step up..........

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:56 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
I’m wondering what LOB isn’t doing to be consistently overlooked.

we sponsored him

This point should not be overlooked.

We have an unbelievable record/ abilty to jinx sponsored players

Can we sponsor opposition players? Or other teams to jinx them? :smoking:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CFC8795 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

we sponsored him

This point should not be overlooked.

We have an unbelievable record/ abilty to jinx sponsored players

Can we sponsor opposition players? Or other teams to jinx them? :smoking:

Now, there's an idea. :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 pm 
Bob Chitty

Must win game tonight. 5-6 provides the platform for an 8-9 win season. 4-7 and we’re closer to the bottom 4 than top 8.

Leaders must lead tonight. Cripps and Doc need to give us a lift (they’ve got it in them). Ed must be at his pesky best. Eddie must break out of his goal kicking drought and kick a few. Cas must play like he did early in the year and give TDK a good chop out. Murphy must step up. Simmo must provide composure across half back. Jones must play like last week, not like he played vs hawthorn (you never know what you’ll get). Leaders must not allow Freo to get a run on. If it looks that way, they must start winning key contests, playing courageously (bodies on the line) and orchestrate some tempo footy to wrestle back momentum.

If enough of this happens, the youngsters will fall in behind and do their jobs. Would love H to break out and kick 4-5 - he’s got it in him. Need a lift from Gibbons and Newnes who have struggled the last few weeks. Best of luck to Honey on debut - go well. Go blues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

david31 wrote:
Would love H to break out and kick 4-5 - he’s got it in him.

I personally wouldn't play him if the weather forecast holds. Need another runner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Interesting that Freo are now warm favourites with the bookmakers ($1.50 to $2.50 approx). When I checked last night we were slight favourites. Hmmm. Does somebody know something about a late change?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:54 pm 
Bob Chitty

Humpers wrote:
Interesting that Freo are now warm favourites with the bookmakers ($1.50 to $2.50 approx). When I checked last night we were slight favourites. Hmmm. Does somebody know something about a late change?

I noticed that too. Very suspect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:

He’s not very good, maybe he’ll get better....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:44 pm 
Bert Deacon

change our F...king Game plan we need quick ball movement e.g syd,cats

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:50 pm 
Bob Chitty

All 4 emergencies (Dow, Moore, Polson and Philp) played in the scratch match so surely we’re not anticipating a late withdrawal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

david31 wrote:
All 4 emergencies (Dow, Moore, Polson and Philp) played in the scratch match so surely we’re not anticipating a late withdrawal.

Find out who of the four only played 1 quarter. Someone has to be an actual emergency.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:46 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

DocSherrin III wrote:
david31 wrote:

Find out who of the four only played 1 quarter. Someone has to be an actual emergency.
Judging by the report, maybe Dow, but they all played

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:39 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Losing confidence by the minute

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:10 pm 
Ken Hands

Win please. Blues by 5 goals.......... :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

Waited all day for this one.
A four quarter effort is needed.
Good luck Blues

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7