Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

From Twitter swampthing

Free kick count from when CARL were 19 points up to when WCE got 23 points up
3 to WCE
2 to CARL

#AFLEaglesBlues

BUT
Mattking

Here’s a stat for you all. 17 inside 50 tackles to Carlton for 0 free kicks. 5 inside 50 tackles to west coast for 3 frees and 2 goals. @CarltonFC Say something Teague.

Like I said, could have been a great game,...... ruined.

I would not call umpires cheats, but gee the way they ARE TOLD to officiate is becoming a farce......

(also, every time I see a rediculous decision, there seems to be a higher probability of who may have called it.....)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Pros

First Half was a glimpse of our future. Destination club.
DeKoning's game. A revelation
Weitering played great defensive game.
Murph's first half showed he's got something to offer.
Liam Jones golden fist workin again
SPS played really well. Great hands
Zac Fisher
Cottrell looked comfortable.
The support for Carlton in WA. I love 'em.

Cons

Umpiring was bias and worked against Carlton
Not one free for 20 odd tackles in our forwardline
SPS should learn to pretend he's trying to get rid of it when caught without prior
Leadership after half time
Simmo losing his speed and not getting enough footy
Crippas kicking for goal
Liam Jones going up for chest marks
Gibbons' is too short for our Team defense. Mismatches giving opposition easy marks.

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BTW if you look at the Carlton Twitter feed the following appears a few times.... "PlayerX unlucky not to be awarded a free and it results in a goal to WCE".
add those to the above..

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:
From Twitter swampthing

Free kick count from when CARL were 19 points up to when WCE got 23 points up
3 to WCE
2 to CARL

#AFLEaglesBlues

BUT
Mattking

Here’s a stat for you all. 17 inside 50 tackles to Carlton for 0 free kicks. 5 inside 50 tackles to west coast for 3 frees and 2 goals. @CarltonFC Say something Teague.

Like I said, could have been a great game,...... ruined.

I would not call umpires cheats, but gee the way they ARE TOLD to officiate is becoming a farce......

(also, every time I see a rediculous decision, there seems to be a higher probability of who may have called it.....)

Go Blues

You don't have to say it, but I will.

Based on the ighlighted fact, there was cheating going on, and I think it would be fair to say it was Umpire 22 Naiffen "Cheats" Williamson.

Other than "Cheats" officiating VFL games with similar level of failure, does anyone know where this goose is from? Melbournian? West Australian? On weekend leave?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:
BTW if you look at the Carlton Twitter feed the following appears a few times.... "PlayerX unlucky not to be awarded a free and it results in a goal to WCE".
add those to the above..

Go Blues

Bring them on. Shows us more. Screenshots?

I don't do Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Crippa wrote:
Just heard an interesting stat on the radio. We laid 18 tackles inside our forward 50 and not one was rewarded with a free kick.

They didn’t give the full WCE inside 50 tackle stats but referenced two resulted in goals.

I could be wrong but from memory, they received 2 frees from 5 inside 50 tackles

The tweet quoted in this article says they got 3 frees from 5 tackles, 2 resulting in goals. The article also contains footage of the SPS HTB, which I just watched for the first time, and as everyone else has mentioned, it's a joke. We didn't even get that pregnant pause when you realise "shit, the ump's decided not to bounce, HTB incoming". He blew it straight away.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2 ... 4ebd2b65b2

Richo and Darce etc. are muppets but they have slammed the umpires several times this season for rewarding the "fish out of water" fake attempts to dispose of the ball, and rightly so. It's a farce.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:04 am 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
Normally I'd prefer my team's coach didn't whinge about the umpiring but since in AFL it works (Paddy's 7 frees, Hawthorn after every Clarkson tirade) I say @#$%&! it, whinge away.

Umpires paid at least 2 free kicks to West Coast right in front of goal when the Blues player had absolutely no prior opportunity.

A number of times during the game a West Coast player was tackled after taking two or three steps with the ball in hand before they wwere tackled - but this was considered no prior opportunity.

Other stand out incorrect calls were Ed's trip, NicNat being tackled then swung his foot at the ball but missed by 400cm but not called for incorrect disposal. On a few other occasions NicNat was tacked and did not dispose correctly but we were not awarded a free.

The umpires tend to umpire the more prominent players much more leniently than others. Examples are Nic Nat regularly disposes incorrectly (and he tackled Cripps without the ball as well as slamming him into the ground - no free), Dustin Martin punching the throat of tacklers but judged to be OK (Ed Curnows injury last year), Selwood regularly awarded free kicks for high tackles after he ducks or bends his knees to lower his body. Prominent forwards awarded free kicks for being held when both players are holding each other and it is clear that the backline players jumper is stretched by being held. Casboult having a free paid against him for "blocking" in a ruck contest when even the commentators said he just used superior strength bu nudging his opponent sideways - yet on many occasions Nic Nat grabbed his opposing ruckman and threw them sideways but no free.

Cain Liddle should edit the video of this weeks game, send it to the AFL and umpires coach and ask for an explanation as to why decisions were judged in favour of West Coast when they tackled a Carlton player, but when a Carlton player tackled a West Coast player in exactly the same manner it was either a free to West Coast, play on or a ball up. And the video should repeatedly play the trip to Curnow and the slam to the ground of Cripps by NicNat. Maybe if the umpires saw it repeated 30 or 40 times they might pick up the inconsistency.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:11 am 
Harry Vallence

Nathan Williamson Umpire no.22

A very strange umpire.. avoid...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
Normally I'd prefer my team's coach didn't whinge about the umpiring but since in AFL it works (Paddy's 7 frees, Hawthorn after every Clarkson tirade) I say @#$%&! it, whinge away.

Should whinge about it after a win, would get more traction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Just read Both Umpires. No 7 and No 22 Naiffen "Cheats" Williamson are WA boys.

Is the AFL thinking this through?
Well that's the problem, the AFL doesn't do enough thinking.

Ridiculous to get 2 local umpires to umpire the game including the local team.
I didn't think that was done anymore.

Ridiculous
AFL asking for more trouble than they already have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 am 
Harry Vallence

BigGartos wrote:
Navy One wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:
Umpire Nathan Williamson(no.22) should be dropped

He should never, ever umpire a Carlton game again. Pure cheat.

You'll hear the better umpires call "He had no prior" when the opposing team appeals for a holding the ball free kick but good ol' hero Nathan just paid a free against Sammo. Not AFL standard .... go umpire your kids in the backyard mate. You're a cheat.

He is not a cheat. And we should be super careful of ever using that word for our umpires.
However, he us a poor umpire. I have seen him for years in the vfl and he pays a few terrible frees every game: he misapplies logic and way too often doesn't use common sense. What we used to call feel for the game.
His rationale to Plow in the goalsquare was that he had no choice but to pay the free against SPS. Of course he had a choice: ball up!
A classic case of young umpires being marked down in development leagues for not paying frees that are technically there. He is the worst in this regard and I hate it when we have him.
I hate feeling so powerless to do anything about the frees we do/don't get but we can't call umps cheats.
But gee my soft furnishings copped it yesterday.

Just frustrated mate ...... still am this morning. We weren't rewarded for similar tackles .... simple as that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 am 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
Just read Both Umpires. No 7 and No 22 Naiffen "Cheats" Williamson are WA boys.
Ridiculous to get 2 local umpires to umpire the game including the local team.
I didn't think that was done anymore.

Is that just a temporary measure? I can understand them not wanting to fly umps around the country during the pandemic - it undermines neutrality to an extent but some compromises have to be made.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:53 am 
Harry Vallence

BigGartos wrote:
Navy One wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

You'll hear the better umpires call "He had no prior" when the opposing team appeals for a holding the ball free kick but good ol' hero Nathan just paid a free against Sammo. Not AFL standard .... go umpire your kids in the backyard mate. You're a cheat.

He is not a cheat. And we should be super careful of ever using that word for our umpires.
However, he us a poor umpire. I have seen him for years in the vfl and he pays a few terrible frees every game: he misapplies logic and way too often doesn't use common sense. What we used to call feel for the game.
His rationale to Plow in the goalsquare was that he had no choice but to pay the free against SPS. Of course he had a choice: ball up!
A classic case of young umpires being marked down in development leagues for not paying frees that are technically there. He is the worst in this regard and I hate it when we have him.
I hate feeling so powerless to do anything about the frees we do/don't get but we can't call umps cheats.

I'm going to call him a cheat and I won't be careful about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Agro jr wrote:
BigGartos wrote:
Navy One wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

You don't have to be that honest Agro jnr.
Just because the umpires weren't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Let’s leave it up to Umpire Nathan Williamson to choose, he can either call himself a cheat or incompetent.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agro jr wrote:

:clap:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Vain wrote:
SPS needed to go through with the facade of attempting to dispose of the ball. Pretend to hit the ball while Darling was holding him. That's the current interpretation and as professional footballers, they should know it. Then the umpire had no chance to pay the free.
The fact that another 20 occasions during there game no penalty was applied is the frustrating part.

This is true and it's one of the many reasons I find the whole AFL product a pisstake.

Not begrudging anyone who still enjoys AFL, it's just the way I feel about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Let’s leave it up to Umpire Nathan Williamson to choose, he can either call himself a cheat or incompetent.

He should never be allowed to umpire a Carlton game, ever again!!! Ever. :hitcomputer:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

I was surprised during the game when Foxtel displayed a graphic showing free kick count was 8 to 7 in favour of West Coast.

I was sure it would have been a much bigger differential.

But then they displayed the tackle count and we had 40 to their 15. I think that is where the major issue is. Surely the side that lays 40 tackles v 15 would be much more likely to get free kicks.

Wasn't Clarksons' rant about free kicks based on an observation years ago when Hawthorn tackled 70 times and only received 2 free kicks?

Cannot believe that AFL are stupid enough to have a West Coast game at Optus in Perth umpired by 2 WA umpires. ICAC are big on rules to prevent conflict of interest and also warn corporations about the importance of avoiding giving the appearance of Conflict of Interest. Surely WA umpires officiating in a WCE game is creating the appearance of Conflict of Interest? I am currently delivering some training packages on the matter to organisations in my part of the world. Maybe I should text Gil and offer my services!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm 
Bob Chitty

When / where do they announce who is umpiring our game next week against Freo?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next