Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

cecil89 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:
So what’s the beef then? One more year at 4-5% of the cap, we retain 300 games of experience at 20-25 possessions per game and still have 100% of the cap to spend elsewhere.

Because he stops a young guy getting a chance
Possessions count for little when you spray many of them and most are the cheap and easy
On field he is an average role model because he doesn’t win his own ball
He avoids contact many times and he hardly tackles
He is 35 next year (He’s 34 in July next year. Turned 33 a couple weeks ago)
He looks cooked

He’s not stopping a young guy from getting a chance any more than Cripps or Curnow are. At some point these young players need to earn a game, not just be handed it because we retire everyone who’s better than them.
Make Dow learn how to hit targets and find the ball more than 12 times a game, make O’Brien find a harder edge, make Stocker develop AFL grade fitness levels. Make all of them earn it.

:clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
keogh wrote:
Simpson is a role model the way he plays
But his form has drop away,
He is 36
Betts is 34 and ain’t going to get Any better
Murphy has a lot of experience but provides little of that on the field
A good player who is a bit too nice. The is should be replaced with was at the end of the year.

With more player cuts needed and the fact that the three of them are all in their mid thirties showing signs that age is catching up with them it’s the perfect time to say goodbye with respect
Particularly for Murphy and Simpson who have shown loyalty right through their careers.

The fact is this club hasn’t made the hard calls on many occasions
Teague needs to make a stand on the future in which he is in charge
There is no room for sentiments in footy
It’s a brutal game

stop making sense. that's twice in 2 days.

Sorry
Must be finally growing up 57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:
So what’s the beef then? One more year at 4-5% of the cap, we retain 300 games of experience at 20-25 possessions per game and still have 100% of the cap to spend elsewhere.

Possessions count for little when you spray many of them and most are the cheap and easy
He looks cooked

He’s not stopping a young guy from getting a chance any more than Cripps or Curnow are. At some point these young players need to earn a game, not just be handed it because we retire everyone who’s better than them.
Make Dow learn how to hit targets and find the ball more than 12 times a game, make O’Brien find a harder edge, make Stocker develop AFL grade fitness levels. Make all of them earn it.

:clap: :clap:

Agree that guys should earn a spot although given the year we are having it must be hard for guys who can’t get a game playing scratch matches

The thing for me is Teague has had 20 games to settle in
He needs to think till the end of his contract in 2022 I believe
Simpson , Betts , Murphy are not the future
He also needs to work out what type of personal he needs in 2021
All three oldies were very ordinary last weekend
They have been ordinary for the last 3 or 4 games
That’s what happens if your old whether your in form or not
There are a few exceptions
Burygoyne is hanging on just but he is so good that 3 or 4 golden touches in low scoring matches like he had in the second quarter last week keeps him viable for now
Murphy Betts and Simpson good as they have been arnt the value and versatility that silk delivers
Make the hard calls and think about what we need going forward
We need more mids. That’s for sure and another big key backman
I admire Jones courage but with ball he is a liability
And that is not good enough if you want to win a flag
I also think McKay has so many weapons
But he needs a rocket up his arse
He needs to get super fit for a start
If he gets his head right he could be anything Around the ground not just as a deep forward
The club needs to put the acid on everyone
Murphy is stopping a youngster developing
He has never been dropped in 15 years and like some in the past he is an endangered species
Whoever gave him bog against North well I would like to have what they were having

He doesn’t get the hard ball doesn’t tackle enough
You can’t have your senior players doing that

It’s time to move them on
And on Plowman
Like Cunningham given his output to offer a 3 year deal is BS
The club needs to up the standards
They say they do but often dont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:19 am 
Rod Ashman

Plowman finished 7th in the 2017 B&F and finished 3rd in 2019. Would’ve finished top 10 if not for injury in 2018 too. He’s the type of consistent, reliable player you offer a 3 year contract to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:

He looks cooked

You are suggesting Murphy offers this week in week out?
Murphy has been as consistent as a new draftee this year.

Murphy escapes scrutiny, and Murphy's output should not be compared with Cripps and Curnow who show more commitment to the contest than Murphy in spades.
I can understand how Cripps and Curnow earn their spots, and there's no argument any of the young players could take their spot, but they same can't be said about Murphy. I'm not an my own here, and the point is, Murphy divides Carlton fans: that alone says something that his time as an auto selection is almost up. I expect him to continue to provide leadership for the remainder of the year, but come the last few rounds, and finals are not on the radar, I wouldn't be surprised to see MC try other players, looking to the future, ahead of Murph.

Last week he scored a few coaches votes.
He had 22 disposals and 1 tackle; a few clangers in that too.
The way some supported Murphy's case here was that he was a revelation.
That was his best game for the year: its round 10.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
Plowman finished 7th in the 2017 B&F and finished 3rd in 2019. Would’ve finished top 10 if not for injury in 2018 too. He’s the type of consistent, reliable player you offer a 3 year contract to.

Umpires don't help Plowman one bit.

They miss obvious frees to him, or choose to. One last year where he got his cheekbone broken from Pies player and no free: goal to Pie. Minutes before this he was held in the goal square, goal to Pies and nothing to Plow.

Happens nearly every week. Unlucky or unlikeable? Whatever, its not fair.

When the umpires find love for him, he will receive frees he deserves and umpires relax on the tiggy touch wood frees against him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:07 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:

He looks cooked

Murphy escapes scrutiny, and Murphy's output should not be compared with Cripps and Curnow who show more commitment to the contest than Murphy in spades.
I can understand how Cripps and Curnow earn their spots, and there's no argument any of the young players could take their spot, but they same can't be said about Murphy. I'm not an my own here, and the point is, Murphy divides Carlton fans: that alone says something that his time as an auto selection is almost up. I expect him to continue to provide leadership for the remainder of the year, but come the last few rounds, and finals are not on the radar, I wouldn't be surprised to see MC try other players, looking to the future, ahead of Murph.

Murphy’s had more games with over 20 disposals this year than Dow has had in his career. Murphy’s disposal efficiency is 73% this year, above average for our team (which averages 70%).

I don’t want to make this a direct comparison of Murphy versus one of our young players. I’m really hopeful those young guys develop and can take a spot in our best 22, but right now Murphy contributes more to our team and earns his spot on merit. Nothing to do with loyalty or fan opinion or anything else, he’s quite simply still in our best 22 and an important piece of our midfield. I’m happy to give him a 1 year contract extension based on this.
He’s not the player he was 6-7 years ago, but claims that he is cooked and not in our best 22 are exaggerated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:36 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cripps played 20min of absolute dogshyte on Friday. On more times than could be counted, he was in a scoring position with the ball in hand and fluffed it.

He can’t kick 40m to save himself and is deadset clueless in open space.

Trade him? :screwy:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Don't stand in the way of the lynch mob with your facts Cecil. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:

He looks cooked

Murphy’s had more games with over 20 disposals this year than Dow has had in his career. Murphy’s disposal efficiency is 73% this year, above average for our team (which averages 70%).

I don’t want to make this a direct comparison of Murphy versus one of our young players. I’m really hopeful those young guys develop and can take a spot in our best 22, but right now Murphy contributes more to our team and earns his spot on merit. Nothing to do with loyalty or fan opinion or anything else, he’s quite simply still in our best 22 and an important piece of our midfield. I’m happy to give him a 1 year contract extension based on this.
He’s not the player he was 6-7 years ago, but claims that he is cooked and not in our best 22 are exaggerated.

Cheers Cecil :thumbsup:

You're right Cecil its not fair to make comparisons between Murphy and a 21yo Dow. Not only because Dow hasn't played this year, but experience counts.

The discussion we are having is whether Murphy should be getting a contact extension.

My point is based on the assumption Murphy's last 2 year extension ends 2021, and therefore imo doesn't warrant a contract extension with 1 1/2 seasons to run for a bloke who has damaged shoulders, and his tackling being highlighted in the media just this week as unacceptable, and not a good example for the kids.

If, however, his contract expires end of this year, I would be happy to keep him another year, and don't think he needs to be one of the 12 players Liddle has earmarked to strike off the list come year's end. He is important in the transition of young players next year imo. But, not a lock with the numbers he's been producing imo.

I expect Murphy to get at least 20 effective possessions a game with his experience. I actually expect more from any player between the arcs, moreso on the wing as an outside receiver. If he's the best 22, then he's the best 22. I'm not disputing the MC's decision. It would be remiss of any Carlton supporter to not look at and discuss weaknesses our team needs to address to help us get Flag 17.

Murphy's disposals this year round by round:

1: 26 disposals
2: 24
3: 11
4: 21
5: 14
6: 13
7:15
8: 22
9: 15

I guess, with a fresh body he made a promising start in the first 2 rounds, but since then he has only achieved 20 possessions twice.

If you deduct his 2 clangers per game then he has had only one 20 effective disposal game in the last 7 rounds.

Take 2 clangers from the numbers above since round 3 and you have 9, 12, 11, 13, 20 and 13 effective possessions. Not really thrilling numbers for an experienced player. Have to consider that he is 33yo, and question if he should be offered a contract extension to 2022, based on the facts.

Does anyone know when Murphy's current contract ends?

Blue Vein? Do you know when his Murph's contract expires?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Murphy was just extended to the end of 2021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

BV BV BV

Its not a lynch mob, its a discussion, a SWOT analysis.
We should discuss strengths AND weaknesses to give us a realistic snap shot of our club's position.

Its not healthy, or smart, to put a muzzle on the W of the SWOT analysis. Elliot did that many years ago, then the house of cards fell down and exposed the truth of our weakness in many areas that were muzzled by Elliot.

We should all start with the premise in mind: We need to improve on every line. We need to identify weaknesses and fix them. Every player has weaknesses to work on.

12 players will be taken off the final list end of year.
Questions will be asked and discussed with List Management.

The question will be asked, Do we delist/retire a player not likely to play in our next Flag with only 1 or 2 years of footy left in them (eg Simmo, Murph) or retain a young high draft pick with a potential 5-10 years of footy ahead of him. Conundrum, but needs to be evaluated. That's what we do on forums, then we wait and see what the Inner circle of the club decide on and we move on.

Times have changed.
Covid will have a huge impact on Lists.
You better believe it.

I read a lot of footy forums and speak with a lot of Carlton supporters and footy lovers. I participate on TC to discuss all things Carlton: the likely impact of covid on the list, SWOT of club and players; and all things Carlton because of my interest/ unconditional love of the club, and my desire to win the next flag sooner than later. I'm not part of any lynch mob, and I do not want to just focus on the Negatives, or, just the Positives. Balance. Now, put away your guillotine and discuss.

Last edited by bondiblue on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:59 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

https://twitter.com/sam_mcclure/status/1013328840716718080

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

By that you mean this extra year takes him to the end of next year, not 2022, then that's a good thing.

Someone should have pointed that out earlier on and we wouldn't be arguing about the contract extension.

I made my assumptions clear, with dates, so stop picking on me :grin:

Cheers :thumbsup: You see how much value you add to TC, when you want? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:

https://twitter.com/sam_mcclure/status/1013328840716718080

:thumbsup:

Thanks Rexy.

One year beyond 2020 is good news.
We need as many experienced players around the kids as we can have, especially since Covid lockdown saw a lot of good staff let go, let alone Game Changers like midfield Master Diesel Williams.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

By that you mean this extra year takes him to the end of next year, not 2022, then that's a good thing.

Someone should have pointed that out earlier on and we wouldn't be arguing about the contract extension.

I made my assumptions clear, with dates, so stop picking on me :grin:

Cheers :thumbsup: You see how much value you add to TC, when you want? :wink:

I appreciate the condescension. :grin:
Perhaps it should be the other way around. Do the research first, find out the terms, and then complain if required.
Argument averted. :razz:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Murphy’s contract being extended by a year should be retired
He is cooked
Shows where the club is that
All these decisions add up to our ladder position

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:

He looks cooked

Not disagreeing but I thought Murphy was important against *. For me that was his best game of the year

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:55 pm 
Bert Deacon

i want curly to watch Tigers ,saints,lions and pies and notice the types they have and then he can relize wat we lack SPEED,in the midfield and defence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:33 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:

Says BV who disappeared from the Murphy thread in the face of facts...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next