Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Callum Moore was his idea.

Really?

Geez I hope Nick adds value and knows what he's doing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
Plowman - re-signed for 3 more yrs ...?

Murphy - re-signed for 1 more yr ...?

Thoughts...

Lets see...

Plowman signed till he is a 29yo

Murphy signed till he is a 35yo

Plowman played his best game for the club against North. As long as they can play him on short opponents; that's his strength.

Murphy's best years are behind him.....2011 I think.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

Did well recruiting at Dogs so need to show faith
Moore obviously is a fail
Let’s see how he goes in the trade and draft period

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

frank dardew wrote:
a

Agree Frank. Has a good track record. No list/recruitment manager in any sport has a 100% strike rate. There will always be misses. Rather the miss be on a last minute decision to take a supp list key forward when Charlie went down, than the miss being early draft picks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

rhino27 wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
a

Agree Frank. Has a good track record. No list/recruitment manager in any sport has a 100% strike rate. There will always be misses. Rather the miss be on a last minute decision to take a supp list key forward when Charlie went down, than the miss being early draft picks.

Was there an abundance of options?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Murphy should have been asked to retire.

What for??? He's still one of the top five players on the team.

Your list Crusader. He got coaches votes last week....about time too.

Nowhere near my top 5 players. Did he play well last night? Is he a consistent performer? Has upside for a 33yo?

The point here is that Murph agreed to a 2 year contract which expires end of 2021. He is already in contract.
Why can't Nick Austin wait till end of NEXT year when Murphy is 34yo before asking him to play another year when he is 35yo?

I suggest Murphy will not be one of the top 5 players next year, let alone 2022. I don't expect him to be automatically selected week in week out next year.

I'll be honest, I wasn't even thinking about any of the talls. Most of them are given a free ride of between five and infinity years before anyone dare question their impact... so, yeah, top five within the mid-smalls.

Cripps, Docherty, Ed, Murphy, Walsh was what I had in mind at the time. I'd slot Weitering, Jones & Casboult in from 2-4 if you're after my opinion on the whole list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

DesEnglish wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
a

Was there an abundance of options?

Not really, but the partisan types have still got their wagons hitched to the SOS train so they tend to overlook the facts.

Also a fact - Moore is getting picked ahead of a fit De Koning, Ben Silvagni, Macreadie & Goddard. The well might not be dry, not in the strictest sense, but f*cked if you'd drink from it.

One might look at those pertinent details and come to the conclusion that the ONLY decision the bloke made has upgraded the list - on a rookie contract.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Nowhere near my top 5 players. Did he play well last night? Is he a consistent performer? Has upside for a 33yo?

The point here is that Murph agreed to a 2 year contract which expires end of 2021. He is already in contract.
Why can't Nick Austin wait till end of NEXT year when Murphy is 34yo before asking him to play another year when he is 35yo?

I suggest Murphy will not be one of the top 5 players next year, let alone 2022. I don't expect him to be automatically selected week in week out next year.

I'll be honest, I wasn't even thinking about any of the talls. Most of them are given a free ride of between five and infinity years before anyone dare question their impact... so, yeah, top five within the mid-smalls.

Cripps, Docherty, Ed, Murphy, Walsh was what I had in mind at the time. I'd slot Weitering, Jones & Casboult in from 2-4 if you're after my opinion on the whole list.

Fair enough.

The question is whether signing up Murphy for another year before his current contract expires at the end of 2021.

Conundrum:

Put games into kids who have more upside vs selecting Murphy in our best team to win.
Does Murphy offer more value in the midfield than the likes of Fisher, SPS, Walsh, OBrienin a midfield role.

To be fair, Murphy has been taken out of the midfield and put on the wing after he was dagdolled by opposition mids and is unable to play a physical game a midfielder needs to play. Murphy came into the midfield for the last quarter against Hawks; I can't remember any effective possession from him in the last. I remember his turnovers because there was 4 or 5 of them. Shockers for someone with his experience.

I like what Murphy can bring to the team's performance but he's too conditional and likes the easy possession: down hill skiier. I tend to think with a reduction in list size, and the improvement of current mids Setterfield, Gibbons (and to a lesser extent Kennedy); the peripheral mids like Fisher Dow SPS PBrien; and the promising mids like Honey, Philp and probably Kemp, where does Murphy fit in amongst this in 2022? I'm sure wew ill trade in 1 or 2 bonafide mids and may trade a couple, but the ame question remains, what use does Murphy have as a 35yo conditional player in our eam?

Like most, I will be shocked if its true Austin has offered Murphy another year, to play when he is 35yo, on top of his current contact which doesn't expire till end of 2021.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Fair enough.

The question is whether signing up Murphy for another year before his current contract expires at the end of 2021.

Conundrum:

Put games into kids who have more upside vs selecting Murphy in our best team to win.
Does Murphy offer more value in the midfield than the likes of Fisher, SPS, Walsh, OBrienin a midfield role.

To be fair, Murphy has been taken out of the midfield and put on the wing after he was dagdolled by opposition mids and is unable to play a physical game a midfielder needs to play. Murphy came into the midfield for the last quarter against Hawks; I can't remember any effective possession from him in the last. I remember his turnovers because there was 4 or 5 of them. Shockers for someone with his experience.

I like what Murphy can bring to the team's performance but he's too conditional and likes the easy possession: down hill skiier. I tend to think with a reduction in list size, and the improvement of current mids Setterfield, Gibbons (and to a lesser extent Kennedy); the peripheral mids like Fisher Dow SPS PBrien; and the promising mids like Honey, Philp and probably Kemp, where does Murphy fit in amongst this in 2022? I'm sure wew ill trade in 1 or 2 bonafide mids and may trade a couple, but the ame question remains, what use does Murphy have as a 35yo conditional player in our eam?

Like most, I will be shocked if its true Austin has offered Murphy another year, to play when he is 35yo, on top of his current contact which doesn't expire till end of 2021.

I like Murph, but I wasn't aware that he was already contracted till end of 2021. If that is the case, really see any logic into giving him another 12 months now.
If this time next year his form warrants an extension then fair enough. Otherwise, can't see the point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

rhino27 wrote:
I like Murph, but I wasn't aware that he was already contracted till end of 2021. If that is the case, really see any logic into giving him another 12 months now.
If this time next year his form warrants an extension then fair enough. Otherwise, can't see the point.

Everyone is missing the point, we'll be repaying him for his loyalty as he'll be finishing his career as a 'dual premiership' CFC great. :razz:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

We're all pretty confident this new deal takes him to the end of 2022 and not 2021?

In the current environment (or any, I suppose) signing a 'new one year deal' would also include the terms of an option for 2021 and re-drafting a new deal within the reduced cap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:33 pm 
John Nicholls

I know what happened.

Andy McKay pulled an Aria Stark and wore Nick Austins' face while negotiating Marc's contract a year early. He blinked when Marc threatened to go play for the Monash Gryphons.

True story.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:06 pm 
Bob Chitty

Murph was re-signed in 2018 for 2 more years (until the end of 2020). It is now believed that he has again re-signed for a further year (until the end of 2021).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think I read somewhere a while back that the plan has always been to stagger the retirements so that we don’t lose too much experience out of the team at once.

Thomas last year, Simpson this year, Murphy next year then Kreuzer and then probably Curnow.

I don’t mind it in that sense, it’s better than doing what Melbourne or North did.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

So what’s the beef then? One more year at 4-5% of the cap, we retain 300 games of experience at 20-25 possessions per game and still have 100% of the cap to spend elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
So what’s the beef then? One more year at 4-5% of the cap, we retain 300 games of experience at 20-25 possessions per game and still have 100% of the cap to spend elsewhere.

Because he stops a young guy getting a chance
Possessions count for little when you spray many of them and most are the cheap and easy
On field he is an average role model because he doesn’t win his own ball
He avoids contact many times and he hardly tackles
He is 35 next year
He looks cooked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:56 pm 
Serge Silvagni

I have to agree with the last post.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on “players having fun?”

I can understand this philosophy, given the hell the players have been through over recent times, though come next year, I expect unsociable football from our list with players like Murphy gone and replaced with player like papley and wines.

Also, is Teague a favourite amongst folk here? I sense recent angst. Does Paul Roos need a job?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Simpson is a role model the way he plays
But his form has drop away,
He is 36
Betts is 34 and ain’t going to get Any better
Murphy has a lot of experience but provides little of that on the field
A good player who is a bit too nice. The is should be replaced with was at the end of the year.

With more player cuts needed and the fact that the three of them are all in their mid thirties showing signs that age is catching up with them it’s the perfect time to say goodbye with respect
Particularly for Murphy and Simpson who have shown loyalty right through their careers.

The fact is this club hasn’t made the hard calls on many occasions
Teague needs to make a stand on the future in which he is in charge
There is no room for sentiments in footy
It’s a brutal game

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Simpson is a role model the way he plays
But his form has drop away,
He is 36
Betts is 34 and ain’t going to get Any better
Murphy has a lot of experience but provides little of that on the field
A good player who is a bit too nice. The is should be replaced with was at the end of the year.

With more player cuts needed and the fact that the three of them are all in their mid thirties showing signs that age is catching up with them it’s the perfect time to say goodbye with respect
Particularly for Murphy and Simpson who have shown loyalty right through their careers.

The fact is this club hasn’t made the hard calls on many occasions
Teague needs to make a stand on the future in which he is in charge
There is no room for sentiments in footy
It’s a brutal game

stop making sense. that's twice in 2 days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Because he stops a young guy getting a chance
Possessions count for little when you spray many of them and most are the cheap and easy
On field he is an average role model because he doesn’t win his own ball
He avoids contact many times and he hardly tackles
He is 35 next year (He’s 34 in July next year. Turned 33 a couple weeks ago)
He looks cooked

He’s not stopping a young guy from getting a chance any more than Cripps or Curnow are. At some point these young players need to earn a game, not just be handed it because we retire everyone who’s better than them.
Make Dow learn how to hit targets and find the ball more than 12 times a game, make O’Brien find a harder edge, make Stocker develop AFL grade fitness levels. Make all of them earn it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next