Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
london blue wrote:
Would have thought the key measure of success is building amd retaining a list that is capable of sustained success.

On that measure he has won in my books.

The conversation on whether he negotiated well is interesting and really a sideshow.

:clap:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

Trigger wrote:
GWS wrote:
london blue wrote:
Would have thought the key measure of success is building amd retaining a list that is capable of sustained success.

On that measure he has won in my books.

The conversation on whether he negotiated well is interesting and really a sideshow.

:clap:

:thumbsup:

Double :thumbsup: and double :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie 10 days ago wrote:
I guarantee that this trade period while we pat ourselves on the back for being "good to do business with" other clubs will be making deals that will have our jaws dropping.

I so wanted to be wrong :cry:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:57 pm 
Robert Walls

Given what the going price of so many other players was this trade period
Treloar
Stephenson
Fantasia
Brown
Higgins
Phillips
Allir Allir
Witherden

I could go on. We got our man, but we definitely overpaid.

Will it matter? Well, you want to always maximise your assets and we haven't, so now we just have to hope Saad stays fit and plays for 5 years with consistent service otherwise we have wasted an opportunity to extract much more value from pick 8 given what else was available on the market and the price they were available at and some would have fit very neatly into our holes in the midfield and up forward.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm 
Bob Chitty

toddkurnski wrote:
Treloar
Stephenson
Fantasia
Brown
Higgins
Phillips
Allir Allir
Witherden

Will it matter? Well, you want to always maximise your assets and we haven't, so now we just have to hope Saad stays fit and plays for 5 years with consistent service otherwise we have wasted an opportunity to extract much more value from pick 8 given what else was available on the market and the price they were available at and some would have fit very neatly into our holes in the midfield and up forward.

thats a pretty long bow to draw ....

collingwood are a nightmare at the minute and have huge issues, to compare treloar value to Saad is just not accurate (same for Stephensen, Phillips) this trade period.

the rest are all abit meh (perhaps not Higgins, but for a 32 year old i wouldnt compare him)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

toddkurnski wrote:
Treloar
Stephenson
Fantasia
Brown
Higgins
Phillips
Allir Allir
Witherden

At least in your scenario Saad gets 5 years.

I keep reading how he’s only got 3 or 4 good years left.

Everybody should keep in mind the guy doesn’t drink and is going to be the fastest guy on our list.

Even if he loses a few yards in five years time he’ll still be quicker than 95% of our list.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him still going around in 10 years.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:08 pm 
Robert Walls

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
Treloar
Stephenson
Fantasia
Brown
Higgins
Phillips
Allir Allir
Witherden

thats a pretty long bow to draw ....

collingwood are a nightmare at the minute and have huge issues, to compare treloar value to Saad is just not accurate (same for Stephensen, Phillips) this trade period.

the rest are all abit meh (perhaps not Higgins, but for a 32 year old i wouldnt compare him)

Jack Higgins. Not the old bloke. And if a club is imploding take advantage of it. We still need another mature mid. Treloar was ridiculously cheap.

I have put together our best 22 and think it looks bloody good except a quality mid and small forward short, so I'm not overly fussed about the situation. But I wouldn't like to see a repeat next year wasting any asset value we have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

toddkurnski wrote:
Jack Higgins. Not the old bloke. And if a club is imploding take advantage of it. We still need another mature mid. Treloar was ridiculously cheap.

My point all along while everyone was going on about it being all about Dodoro.

A pick swap could've potentially netted us Saad and Treloar based on these numbers (assuming of course there was mutual interest).

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:24 pm 
Banned

Don't think our salary cap could have afforded Treloar this year due to front loading contracts.

At the end of the day Doc, Cripps, Martin, Zac, Saad, Plowman are all the same age that will play footy together for at least next five years and the price of getting that done is immaterial really and we have ammunition for next year as well to add to that group. Its these guys that will set the tone for "sustained success".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Well, Curley Jr has 12 months to shake out one of those Bulldogs midfielders.

And/or Oliver.

And keep Cripps.

Williams & Saad are good pick ups, Fogarty is a touch speculative and hopefully can get his body right....but what concerns me is that we have traded out of this year’s draft and not added a quality midfielder.

“I liked what I got, but I didn’t get what I like”...

Williams & Saad may be quality players but they have not made their AFL reputations playing in the midfield. I get that we needed a line breaking defender - well, I feel like we got two of them and we’re going to try to make one of them into a permanent midfielder. We don’t have a great record with trying to turn HBs into midfielders.

We’re crying out for another quality midfielder (or two) so it’s amazing to me that we spent a fair amount (on picks & coin) this year and didn’t address our most fundamental weakness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:08 pm 
Robert Walls

aboynamedsue wrote:

And/or Oliver.

And keep Cripps.

Williams & Saad are good pick ups, Fogarty is a touch speculative and hopefully can get his body right....but what concerns me is that we have traded out of this year’s draft and not added a quality midfielder.

Williams & Saad may be quality players but they have not made their AFL reputations playing in the midfield. I get that we needed a line breaking defender - well, I feel like we got two of them and we’re going to try to make one of them into a permanent midfielder. We don’t have a great record with trying to turn HBs into midfielders.

We’re crying out for another quality midfielder (or two) so it’s amazing to me that we spent a fair amount (on picks & coin) this year and didn’t address our most fundamental weakness.

Sums up my frustration. Even acquiring Crouch would have been reasonable. Treloar was there. Tom Phillips gets it more than our young brigade and adds a bit more outside mix to a midfield rotation. Even Caldwell, although on the young side is a midfielder first. We just needed another piece in the middle, had reasonable options but seemed to hesitate. Not mentioning the small forward issue still is unsolved as well.

Last edited by toddkurnski on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:

And/or Oliver.

And keep Cripps.

What makes you think Williams won’t play midfield?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

And/or Oliver.

And keep Cripps.

He will play midfield for us. Maybe you need to read my post again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:16 pm 
Robert Walls

GWS wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

And/or Oliver.

And keep Cripps.

Williams in the midfield will happen, but where is his form there over a sustained period?

I think he is a very good player, but he has yet to show he is a midfielder first and foremost.

We are after missing pieces.
Need a midfielder, get a midfielder. Don't get an excellent HBF and try and turn him into a mid.

Fingers crossed it works out. But we are overcomplicating things unnecessarily

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agree ^

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:
GWS wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

And/or Oliver.

And keep Cripps.

Sorry - missed that.

I reckon really good footballers are really good footballers.

He is one.

I’m also guessing he’s played a lot more time in the midfield in his life than as a half back flanker which was his position at a club with more high quality midfielders than any club has ever had.

We’ll be fine.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/13 ... 6124900352

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:20 pm 
Ken Hands

GWS wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
GWS wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

And/or Oliver.

And keep Cripps.

Sorry - missed that.

I reckon really good footballers are really good footballers.

He is one.

I’m also guessing he’s played a lot more time in the midfield in his life than as a half back flanker which was his position at a club with more high quality midfielders than any club has ever had.

We’ll be fine.

Williams was the main reason GWS got over Collingwood in the 2019 prelim. Played midfield and starred. This year there were games were it looked like the only way the Giants could attack was to get the ball to him. He’s a star, wherever he plays for us (I think it will be midfield). Can’t wait to see him and Saad play for us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

I also want to make it clear that I am happy overall with our haul, particularly that we were able to get 2 really good players who each fill a need, and maintain our full deck for next year's assault on a gun midfielder.

But that said, I believe we played our hand too early, sacrificed any power we had in negotiations and unnecessarily left ourselves with no remaining currency to be a player in the final crazy moments where other clubs made us look like amateurs.

It's a feeling not unlike having a scrappy win over opposition you should've thrashed.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
I also want to make it clear that I am happy overall with our haul, particularly that we were able to get 2 really good players who each fill a need, and maintain our full deck for next year's assault on a gun midfielder.

But that said, I believe we played our hand too early, sacrificed any power we had in negotiations and unnecessarily left ourselves with no remaining currency to be a player in the final crazy moments where other clubs made us look like amateurs.

It's a feeling not unlike having a scrappy win over opposition you should've thrashed.

Perfectly summed up. :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next