Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
For a start it doesn’t help playing one ruckman against two
We were slaughtered in the hit outs
Recruiting Moore let alone playing him is a mistake but we shouldn’t be surprised given the history of the clubs last 20 years in recruiting spuds from other AFL clubs

Now the game from what I observed today is overall more congested than its ever been the best whole 36 are often in a quarter of the ground
The game starts at the stoppages . Win that and you will probably win the game unless your skills are really shit.
That’s what happened tonight
Their midfield smashed ours and De Konings inclusion would have made some difference but not enough to win the game
When Ed Curnow is your second best mid by a long way your in trouble
Cripps is struggling but he was our best player after Weitering
Kennedy and Setterfield were pathetic after those first 5 goals
SPS and Cunningham ( who I think must have been injured) should be playing mid field but arnt because they haven’t developed enough
Same goes for the guys who aren’t in the team

At the start of the last quarter Murphy and Curnow were in the middle
That in the long term isn’t going to work

Whatever your grievances were against Bolton he was trying to fast track youngsters
Teague went back to the mature bodies when he took over
He shouldn’t do that anymore
After Cripps and Curnow are midfield is very ordinary
We don’t need a Papley. We need another mid
Setterfield and Kennedy will have their moments but ultimately there ain’t the answer
SPS needs to play there
Honey Fisher And OBrien need extended time in the seniors. We really lack run when the ball is in motion
I would drop Murphy, Betts and Simpson
Bring them back for one last hurrah to say goodbye

Teague needs to retire Betts Murphy and Simpson at seasons end
Betts provides some cameos but not much else
Newnes is another average player from another club that inhibits the development of a youngster
How often have we said that
McKay is a big unit but has little presence
He also needs to get fitter
Weitering was good
Cripps and Curnow tried
The rest na

We can play better than that but we are average some of you posters have got ahead of yourself
Teague needs to start making some tough calls at the selection table and positions on the ground

The party is over

that is genuinely one of your better posts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Jonosc1 wrote:
Just watched the press conference.
I know he is a calm man, but be pissed off and very angry.
Tell the supporters that isn’t good enough.

I agree. He does not show disappointment as passionately as he should, especially after a horrific performance like that. Like the team, he needs to bring some mongrel and hardness into his demeanor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 pm 
Bob Chitty

The positive is we have at least 8 months until Hawthorn next embarrass and take the piss out of us. The part I’ve never understood is why someone or a group of players don’t do anything about it. Many of them have been around for years of beltings from the Hawks. Who did something courageous or said “not today” when the game was on the line in that second quarter? Who is willing to draw a line in the sand and not put up with this mob mocking us? We need to prioritise the recruitment of some players with mongrel who care and won’t put up with another team dominating us for the better part of 20 years

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Charlie Curnow
Kemp
May be able to help out in the middle next year

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:03 am 
formerly BlueRob

We suffer from the Fitzroy syndrome. Every team is confident they have a chance, even when we are the hot favourite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 am 
Stephen Silvagni

We get overrun because of lack of leadership, but yeah let's drop all the experienced players and put the kids in.

We needed to do what the lions did when they got Luke Hodge. An on field coach is critical this season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 am 
Garry Crane

dablues wrote:
Stranger wrote:
dablues wrote:
Sometimes small things in a game make a big difference. Early in the 2nd Kennedy fumbles a handball 5 meters in the clear. Opportunity to hit the scoreboard lost. Minutes later he gets the ball in a similar position and kicks it high to Eddie/Cunningham. Hawthorn rebound from defence and goal.
This then happens again....momentum lost confidence sapped.....hawks get cocky and we fold like a wet lettuce.

So is he to blame for the poor effort of every player on the night

100% yes. It saps the energy of the team and the confidence to use him again. We let them back in...that was one of those moments..there were others but this was was a standout. Don’t get me started on Jones ....I do not rate him at all..costs us every week and when you have too many of these ‘moments’ it tips the balance...especially with a mentally piss weak team like ours.

Well if 1 mistake makes a whole team play bad and throw the towel in our club is full of gutless players
who don’t deserve to be at a AFL club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:46 am 
Ken Hands

Stranger wrote:
dablues wrote:
Stranger wrote:
dablues wrote:
Sometimes small things in a game make a big difference. Early in the 2nd Kennedy fumbles a handball 5 meters in the clear. Opportunity to hit the scoreboard lost. Minutes later he gets the ball in a similar position and kicks it high to Eddie/Cunningham. Hawthorn rebound from defence and goal.
This then happens again....momentum lost confidence sapped.....hawks get cocky and we fold like a wet lettuce.

100% yes. It saps the energy of the team and the confidence to use him again. We let them back in...that was one of those moments..there were others but this was was a standout. Don’t get me started on Jones ....I do not rate him at all..costs us every week and when you have too many of these ‘moments’ it tips the balance...especially with a mentally piss weak team like ours.

Well if 1 mistake makes a whole team play bad and throw the towel in our club is full of gutless players

Do you suggest there aren’t pivotal moments in games that Influence the outcome?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 am 
Garry Crane

dablues wrote:
Stranger wrote:
dablues wrote:
Stranger wrote:
dablues wrote:

Do you suggest there aren’t pivotal moments in games that Influence the outcome?

There is moments that can have a influence on games but my point is the lack of influence
of player’s in a game player’s like Moore/Newnes/Betts/Murphy/gibbons/Cunningham /plowman and
more is a bigger problem than 1 mistake that Kennedy made

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 am 
Craig Bradley

Every game so far this round one side has been really flat and horrible to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 am 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Every game so far this round one side has been really flat and horrible to say the least.

True and we couldn’t have played worse after the 20 th minute mark of the first quarter
But overall we are average.
Why
We don’t have enough quality mids
It’s where the game is determined these days
Why poor list management and poor selections
Take away Cripps and the cupboard is bare
Kennedy and Setterfield are just ok players.

SPS has talent. He is wasted in defence although his lack of size is a concern
Martin needs to spend more time in the middle

Teague needs to start taking more risks at the selection table and on match day

With more players likely to be cut Simpson Murphy and Betts need to be 3 of those players

I want guys like Honey Stocker DeKoning fast tracked at the expense the older players
Fisher is in our best 22

Murphy shouldn’t get another year. His form has been flaky for a long time
Owies should be given a go. Betts does cameos but little else because of age
Simpson has been amazing but this has to be his last year at 36

Teague needs to show some balls and make a statement
I feel the club has for the last 20 years continually overrated its list

Last edited by keogh on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
We suffer from the Fitzroy syndrome. Every team is confident they have a chance, even when we are the hot favourite.

It’s been called Carlton Syndrome since 2002.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 am 
Rod Ashman

kingkerna wrote:
We get overrun because of lack of leadership, but yeah let's drop all the experienced players and put the kids in.

We needed to do what the lions did when they got Luke Hodge. An on field coach is critical this season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bingo!

Just watched the replay and what was really lacking was some composure. No doubt Teague has freed up the players and wants fast attacking football however there has to be time when you are under siege and you need to change the game plan. The Hawks were coming and we continued with the fast break from the defence to only turn the ball over. Leadership was required, slow the game down, hold on to the ball, bring players in to the game. Work through your defence rather that trying the 50/50 which wasn't working.

By all means attack and put the foot to the throat when its working however when the game starts to change we need to adapt. We need Plan B. This is where leadership comes in to it. Unfortunately twice in the 2nd qtr we needed composure from Cripps when moving forward and both results were deflating. That was the start of the end.

We have leaders down back in Simpson, Jones, Plowman, Docherty and when the Hawks were coming they continued to try to take the game on. Its not like we were 3 points down and we had to make an urgent play. Its the second qtr, work through it, hold on to the ball, let them come to us.

I also mentioned in the pre game thread their midfield group is very good, O'Meara, Mitchell, Worpel, Shiels and Wingard. We dont bat very deep hence we needed more changes this week. We need more run, LOB and Fisher are the ones we need to look at and would have liked to see TDK in the team. Wines would be a great get!

The signs were there last week against North and I hope Teague can develop and introduce a plan B when plan A is not working because opposition teams have and will work us out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:54 am 
Harry Vallence

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
keogh wrote:
For a start it doesn’t help playing one ruckman against two
We were slaughtered in the hit outs
Recruiting Moore let alone playing him is a mistake but we shouldn’t be surprised given the history of the clubs last 20 years in recruiting spuds from other AFL clubs

Now the game from what I observed today is overall more congested than its ever been the best whole 36 are often in a quarter of the ground
The game starts at the stoppages . Win that and you will probably win the game unless your skills are really shit.
That’s what happened tonight
Their midfield smashed ours and De Konings inclusion would have made some difference but not enough to win the game
When Ed Curnow is your second best mid by a long way your in trouble
Cripps is struggling but he was our best player after Weitering
Kennedy and Setterfield were pathetic after those first 5 goals
SPS and Cunningham ( who I think must have been injured) should be playing mid field but arnt because they haven’t developed enough
Same goes for the guys who aren’t in the team

At the start of the last quarter Murphy and Curnow were in the middle
That in the long term isn’t going to work

Whatever your grievances were against Bolton he was trying to fast track youngsters
Teague went back to the mature bodies when he took over
He shouldn’t do that anymore
After Cripps and Curnow are midfield is very ordinary
We don’t need a Papley. We need another mid
Setterfield and Kennedy will have their moments but ultimately there ain’t the answer
SPS needs to play there
Honey Fisher And OBrien need extended time in the seniors. We really lack run when the ball is in motion
I would drop Murphy, Betts and Simpson
Bring them back for one last hurrah to say goodbye

Teague needs to retire Betts Murphy and Simpson at seasons end
Betts provides some cameos but not much else
Newnes is another average player from another club that inhibits the development of a youngster
How often have we said that
McKay is a big unit but has little presence
He also needs to get fitter
Weitering was good
Cripps and Curnow tried
The rest na

We can play better than that but we are average some of you posters have got ahead of yourself
Teague needs to start making some tough calls at the selection table and positions on the ground

The party is over

that is genuinely one of your better posts

he is a changed man, our Keogh. i agree, very thoughtful post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:58 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
jim wrote:

True and we couldn’t have played worse after the 20 th minute mark of the first quarter
But overall we are average.
Why
We don’t have enough quality mids
It’s where the game is determined these days
Why poor list management and poor selections
Take away Cripps and the cupboard is bare
Kennedy and Setterfield are just ok players.

SPS has talent. He is wasted in defence although his lack of size is a concern
Martin needs to spend more time in the middle

Teague needs to start taking more risks at the selection table and on match day

With more players likely to be cut Simpson Murphy and Betts need to be 3 of those players

I want guys like Honey Stocker DeKoning fast tracked at the expense the older players
Fisher is in our best 22

Murphy shouldn’t get another year. His form has been flaky for a long time
Owies should be given a go. Betts does cameos but little else because of age
Simpson has been amazing but this has to be his last year at 36

Teague needs to show some balls and make a statement
I feel the club has for the last 20 years continually overrated its list

this will definitely be simmo's last year at 36. next year he will be 37

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:07 am 
John James

13 of 20 games under Teague now where we have conceded at least a 30 point run or turnaround against us. The inability to slow the game down or hold possession or close it up when the opposition have momentum is of real concern. Teague was given a lesson last night I thought it was a dreadful coaching performance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am 
Robert Walls

Bolton + Clarkson beat 22 players + coaching staff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am 
Rod Ashman

disappointing but hardly surprising

hawks still have 8-9 premiership players running around plus a brownlow medalist and guys like o'meara, wingard, scully etc
they're probably waning but on their day still good enough to pull out some ripping performances...see brisbane and richmond
having said that it was very frustrating that we couldn't find a way to stay with them after what was a very good start

agree with most others that it's time to inject some youth and run into the side. fisher, dow, philp, honey, de koning...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jim wrote:

True. How many of the sides that lost started the game up 31-0?

Flat as a tack this morning. Still flabbergasted at how poor we were. We took significant steps back yesterday.

Think what hurts the most and is the most galling is the realisation that the dark days aren’t over. I’m a nervous Nellie and even I was starting to believe that we had finally turned the corner.

Teague has to balance up the game plan. Thirteen out of twenty games we’ve conceded a run of at least 30 points against us. Have we gone too far the other way? What have we learned and done to address this? On yesterday’s evidence, the answer would be nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I can't believe that David Teague was out coached by Alistair Clarkson.

Shocked to be sitting here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next