Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:08 am 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Charlie Curnow
Kemp
May be able to help out in the middle next year

would love for that to be right about charlie but he is a natural forward
he looks out of place when he goes into the middle to me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
The game was lost at the selection table.
Moore should never have played.
Murphy is past it.
SPS is out of position.
Eddie isn't having an impact.
Harry McKay gets his marks too far from goal or too wide. He should stay at home, lead from the goal square and force the opposition defence to stay deep to counter it. There is no point your FF getting a mark inside the D50 and having to kick down the line because a fast break is impossible for lack of forwards on the end of it.

Teague looks like the most recent in a line of Carlton coaches who have refused to make any moves on match day, despite the fact defeat is staring us in the face. He was seriously given a lesson tonight on top of the poor selections.

Two weeks ago I was bullish about this season but I think it is now cooked. It's time to look to the future yet again and make some hard decisions with Murphy, Simmo and Eddie. They are all giving it a crack but they aren't really giving us a lot. Of the three, Simmo is the best. It's time for Dow, Philp. Honey, Fisher and others to show us what they have got and we need Jack Silvagni to play midfield every week to take over from Ed.

This was a disappointing game but not entirely unexpected. The Hawks 'ins' were very good and all had good games. Clarkson will be under a lot less pressure this week.

We have the talent base. It's a question of getting games into them and getting them to play 4 quarters.

List management will be critical this season. Cripps has to be the prime target for re-signing. We can't afford to lose him.

Apart from including Eddie, I agree with this.

Jones makes far too many mistakes to be considered reliable. Great physical specimen but most of the time a deer in lights.

I've still got question marks on the omni clumsy Kennedy, Newnes hasn't got clean hands....Ed lacks class.

It's not a Premiership year, so we can try things. Hey, with Jack, Honey, Philip, Fish, we might still make finals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:15 am 
Harry Vallence

kingkerna wrote:
We get overrun because of lack of leadership, but yeah let's drop all the experienced players and put the kids in.

We needed to do what the lions did when they got Luke Hodge. An on field coach is critical this season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Apart from a losing culture, our biggest issue is the lack of development in our younger players

Using picks 3 and 10 on Dow and O’Brien was a huge investment from the club, which currently does not look like it will pay dividends. Although a bit more time is still required.

Having Ed Curnow as our second or third best midfielder for the last 6 years is an indictment on our recent recruiting

Let’s hope a player like a Kemp can develop really quickly, otherwise we desperately need a few quality and developed midfielders from other clubs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Says a lot about the mental toughness (or should I say weakness) of this team that they cannot win consecutive games.

Jones surely must be running out of credits at the Teague Amusement Park. His penchant for turning the ball over is killing us.

And SPS just doesn't have the right mind set to play defence. He's about as reliable as a torn diapghram.

Defenders need to defend first. Too many unreliable players down there.

Of course I know it starts in the midfield but that's a separate and even more concerning conversation. I'll leave that to others who have the energy to argue the points.

More broadly i think we have overrated the list . Aside from our 4 young pillars the list is not that great and is characterised by a lack of elite midfield prospects and small forwards/defenders.

Last edited by Paddycripps on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:32 am 
Bert Deacon

Absolutely disappointed like everyone else, flatest I've been since the Gold Coast loss last year. There's not much written so far I don't agree with. Midfield defence is the gaping hole to my eye. I sympathise with all those that bemoan our midfield generally, lack of depth particularly, but for me it's the lack of defensive capability through the midfield that kills us. That deficiency has the knock-on of putting our backline under extreme pressure for extended periods during games which inevitably causes eye-watering errors and goals. I agree with the poster that said that loss has put an end to our chances of playing finals this year. Extremely deflating.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:35 am 
Harry Vallence

Who is our midfield coach?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rod Waddell wrote:
Who is our midfield?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigGartos wrote:
kezza wrote:
Bloody disgraceful.
From late in the first quarter when the Hawks started to apply pressure we crumbled.
Our midfield was absolutely smashed, Cripps the only one who can hold his head up.
Honestly some players were barely sighted.
Getting pretty sick of this.

Unfortunately Cripps response to the mediocrity around him was to try to do too much himself, rather than trusting others, and he made things much worse when we were still in touch.

You have a nice way accounting for Crippa howlers. He makes his own bed and should own the multitude of mistakes he makes by hand and foot. He makes decisions on his own and misses better options.

He should stick to what he is known for: contested disposals. We got smashed on the inside after quarter time.

I remember the one criticism Judd copped later in his career: kicking for goal. Crippa doesn't come near Judd imo.

Whilst Cripps can accumulate disposals he needs a lot of work to improve on the skill of kicking and handball.
in.

Crippa's year has been average thus far imo. A great effort quarter here and there is not enough for a captain.

His job is to bring in players not trying to be Messi. Everyone has a role.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Waddell wrote:
Who is our midfield coach?

Don't quote me on this but I think JB.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't understand why the coach isn't getting more criticism. His win and loss ratio hasn't got better since 2019, and to my eye he only has one gear. If we don't score quickly we look almost incapable of scoring. There's no Plan B. He's all one way traffic, down the slopes. Bit like the Crows when he was overseeing their forward line.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am 
Ken Hunter

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but...

Quote:
Remarkably, it was the 13th time in 20 games under Teague's watch that Carlton has conceded a 30-point swing within a match.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/478315/don-t-write-em-off-comeback-hawks-stun-fast-starting-blues

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am 
Craig Bradley

Season defining game and we failed test miserably
Mentally weak and continue to fall short
Best Dons Geelong get pipped by port after the siren but lose to Hawthorn and Melbourne both below us really ordinary
Two steps forward 4 back last night and 5 goals up on a relatively weak opposition dreadful

Changes need to be made to side which continues to under perform
No longer got the excuse of being young
Enough senior players now to not have these uneven performances and inconsistency

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:28 am 
Craig Bradley

Sometimes we need to think more with the head and not frustrations. Right now we're typical of up and coming sides.

2 days ago we were a loss to Melbourne and a goal after the siren from being equal top of the ladder. Would've been an over-achievement but 4-5 is probably slightly unders and a sign of our inconsistencies as up coming sides are like. 5-4 would probably be closer. Just got to accept they'll be frustrations along the way.

Get rid of the inconsistencies and that'll see a huge change. We'll see more like the Dogs and Geelong games and less like last night, Melbourne and St.Kilda.

We're 10-10 from the last 20. Bet we'd have accepted that after being 1-11, 2-20 the year before, and embarrassing. Too many want it to happen overnight and it just won't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:31 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
I don't understand why the coach isn't getting more criticism. His win and loss ratio hasn't got better since 2019, and to my eye he only has one gear. If we don't score quickly we look almost incapable of scoring. There's no Plan B. He's all one way traffic, down the slopes. Bit like the Crows when he was overseeing their forward line.

Your missing the point
If you want to pinpoint one thing it’s the quality and depth of our midfield
Teague does need to experiment in this area
Definitely play Pittonet and DeKoning in tandem
Play more youngsters

Has had a year in the job
Now is the time to try things
Having Curnow Kennedy Setterfield Murphy in the middle isn’t going to work long term
Not enough toughness strength willingness to take game on intensity etc

So you try different personal
What do we need in 2021 and beyond
The midfield is the key area until they change the rules that stops 36 Blokes in a confined Space

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ColourMan wrote:
MPH78 wrote:
I’ve sat through some horror shows over the years but that was @#$%&! putrid. Just @#$%&! putrid.

We go from playing really well to an absolute rabble in the space of a quarter. An indictment on everyone, players and coaches.

Midfield got absolutely smashed. They murdered us, inside and out.

Horrible performance all round. We had zero winners for mine. Zero.

Pretty much just sat there dumbfounded from halfway through the second quarter. Struggling to comprehend wtf I was witnessing.

Just when you think the dark days might be over.... :mad: :banghead: :donk: :confused: :hitcomputer: :yikes:

At the moment we have no midfield... when Cripps stopped dominating (through weight of numbers) we crumbled

When the game had to be won, we started the last quarter with Cripps, Curnow and Murphy....

Kennedy is a forward not a mid. People confuse his goal kicking feat that got him votes last week, had nothing to do with his role as an inside mid. He doesn't get his own ball, fumbles when he has it and another whose disposal of the footy goes missing when the footy is hot. He likes shots at goal from a standing start.

Setters is only 22.

Curnow is a tagged. Plays a negative role.

Murphy is a receiver, and we need someone who shows more desperation and desire to win his own ball to replace him. I hope the rumour he's been given another year on top of his current 2 year contract is untrue.

Yep...we need mature mids. Dow, OBrien are 21yo this year, Walsh is still too young to dominate in the midfield.......need strong developed mid who gets his own ball and creates play.

The list is good. Charlie comes in next year

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:42 am 
John James

bluehammer wrote:
I can't believe that David Teague was out coached by Alistair Clarkson.

Shocked to be sitting here.

Out coached by 10 goals in about 3 shortened quarters of footy. We got got to pieces.

Last edited by Brently8 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
Sometimes we need to think more with the head and not frustrations. Right now we're typical of up and coming sides.

2 days ago we were a loss to Melbourne and a goal after the siren from being equal top of the ladder. Would've been an over-achievement but 4-5 is probably slightly unders and a sign of our inconsistencies as up coming sides are like. 5-4 would probably be closer. Just got to accept they'll be frustrations along the way.

Get rid of the inconsistencies and that'll see a huge change. We'll see more like the Dogs and Geelong games and less like last night, Melbourne and St.Kilda.

We're 10-10 from the last 20. Bet we'd have accepted that after being 1-11, 2-20 the year before, and embarrassing. Too many want it to happen overnight and it just won't.

:thumbsup: reality.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluedog wrote:
Maybe it's already been mentioned, but...

Quote:
Remarkably, it was the 13th time in 20 games under Teague's watch that Carlton has conceded a 30-point swing within a match.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/478315/don-t-write-em-off-comeback-hawks-stun-fast-starting-blues

that screams no plan B.

On Cripps, winning it inside, maybe there's not enough in terms of outside options. changes needed.

have read for weeks how bad the hawks ball movement is. the way they were allowed to waltz through the corridor was galling.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Your missing the point
If you want to pinpoint one thing it’s the quality and depth of our midfield
Teague does need to experiment in this area
Definitely play Pittonet and DeKoning in tandem
Play more youngsters

Has had a year in the job
Now is the time to try things
Having Curnow Kennedy Setterfield Murphy in the middle isn’t going to work long term
Not enough toughness strength willingness to take game on intensity etc

So you try different personal
What do we need in 2021 and beyond
The midfield is the key area until they change the rules that stops 36 Blokes in a confined Space

Setterfield may be part of the future but Curnow Murphy and Kennedy will not be there in 2 years time.

I would prefer Jack to Kennedy, and an offensive play making mid rather than a tagged, and Philip has more weapons imo than Murphy.....yeah I know Murph got coaches votes last week for his very outside receivers game. We need more than that next year imo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

Question: Why, for God's sake, is SPS undroppable?

Answer: The same reason Murphy is.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next