Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:55 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

rhino27 wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Current forecast - 95% chance of rain (15-20mm)

With that

Cunners out injured
Moore out dropped

Ins:
Fisher
and one of Philp, Honey or Cottrell
Considered TDK but conditions wont suit and AR says Gov is close but not certain. Best to be cautious and give him another week.

Will continue the trend of brothers not meeting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:10 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

CK95 wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
We should never have sacked him.

The problem was who we replaced him with, not his actual sacking, IMO

Agree CK. Decision even more important off-field than it is on-field.

Heard Ratts say recently he's a much better coach second time around after learning how to delegate more.

If we don't win the flag, I'm barracking for Ratts to win it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Over on Bigfooty it sounds like Cunningham has a calf injury. I guess this explains his 60% game time on the weekend. Good opportunity to bring in Fisher.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
CK95 wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Heard Ratts say recently he's a much better coach second time around after learning how to delegate more.

Ditto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

Damn, Cunners came so close to winning the double-digit consecutive appearance trophy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:29 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Sombrero wrote:
99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
jones gets the ball of course his under pressure v Darcy moore gets ball plenty of space teammates options to hanball or kick our game plan no good

is that the same Darcy Moore who turned it over in the corridor 20 metres from goal yesterday? Resulting in a Freo goal?
The same Darcy Moore who was moved to hide in the forward line last week whilst Josh Kennedy was destroying them?

We had a bad game. It happens. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water over one loss.

We are talking about Jones here. He's had more than one bad game.

He has lost the plot. He's lacking common sense on the last line of defense this last month.
Gosh his first quarter of 2020 was a disaster.

Problem is, we have no back up Full Back to replace him. That doesn't imply he's having a good year. Maybe Goddard's form makes him a better option, but he didnt play any scratch match on the weekend.

In a nutshell, Jones has been terrible this year. I hope he picks up his game, and sticks to the basics that made him successful: stick to your man and punch the ball away towards the boundary.

On that Jones-Moore comparison, I'm not sure if there's anyone who would select/take Jones before Moore for the backline, or the forwardline, come to think of it.

We can only dream of having a midfield that bats as deep as Collingwood's, allowing defenders more defensive cover, retention of structure and more time to set up

Jones has NOT lost the plot. Period. Is he a little out form? YES. So are probably 100 other AFL players each week

Collingwood's midfield, albeit depleted, has been comprehensively beaten two weeks running, including last night by a group of 18 year olds.

Generally speaking, their mids are better than ours...and if their mids got comprehensively beaten by 18 yo, god knows what a walloping we wouldve got from their mids in the form they were in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The way the Hawthorn game played out will have consequences for us.

Oppositions will now know we are susceptible to capitulation if certain tactics are applied.

Our mettle will be tested like never before going forward and each of our players will be exposed one way or another.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sadly, I think that was known well before the Hawthorn game

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Sadly, I think that was known well before the Hawthorn game

Nothing’s changed in that regard since 2002.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

I feel the same way this week as I did before the Geelong match. I thought we'd lose that one by five goals, so hopefully that means we will beat the Eagles. Go Blues!

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:56 pm 
Craig Bradley

I think frustratingly we might come out and play alright and be competitive
We beat Geelong Essendon* Dogs all round the 8 lose to PA after the siren
Even competitive sort of with saints and Tigers

Woeful against Hawthorn and Melbourne who are both below us and tried desperately to lose to North

What is the bet that if we play Adelaide most likely in Adelaide that we are the first team to lose to them this year although hoping in a few hours they might beat Melbourne

I think once again frustratingly we might be alright against West Coast but the next game against Freo will be woeful
That’s the sort of team we are and that’s why we continue to be mediocre
This malaise needs to be corrected

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 pm 
Bob Chitty

SurreyBlue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
I’d play TDK against NicNat. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Is he the type to drop the head if he gets absolutely wiped or go hard on improving until the next time they meet? Plenty of unknowns from us but ‘hopefully’ the coaches know.

He's a real competitor.
Whatever happens in the game wouldn't damage him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:15 pm 
Robert Walls

frank dardew wrote:
We beat Geelong Essendon** Dogs all round the 8 lose to PA after the siren

Woeful against Hawthorn and Melbourne who are both below us and tried desperately to lose to North

What is the bet that if we play Adelaide most likely in Adelaide that we are the first team to lose to them this year although hoping in a few hours they might beat Melbourne

I think once again frustratingly we might be alright against West Coast but the next game against Freo will be woeful

I would say we are close to a certainty to be the first team this year Adel beats. The game is tailor made for Adel acting as though they won their GF after they beat us

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Nic Nat is a jumper.
He taps the ball to his mids AWAY from the maul to give them space to move.
If he doesn't get the hitout, he follows itup himself a la Matthew Kreuzer.
IMO he is far and away the best ruckman in the league.

Pittonet is more of a body on ody type. he runs at right angles to the opposition ruck.
He is NOT ajumper like Nic Nat.
He also palms the ball but doesn't win as many contests.

TDK is a jumper.
He is mobile.
He is a goal kicker.
We know bugger all more about him because Moore was preferred over him.
I would play him this week to see if he can out jump NicNat or at least negate his effectiveness at the stoppages.
I would rest Pittonet, even though he is playing good footy or select TDK ahead of Mitch, whom I suppose will come in for Moore.

Horses for courses.

Every week is a season-defining game for us as we struggle with the reality of being a n\middle of the table team who can compete.
This week there is the possibility we will be torn a new one.
Who goes to Kennedy? Jones or Weitering? Jones likes to back himnmself and runn off is man. Weiterng is more of a stay with him type. I like Jones. Let Weitering start on Darling.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:52 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
CK95 wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

So not a wise move for Carlton to appoint a virgin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:53 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

frank dardew wrote:
We beat Geelong Essendon** Dogs all round the 8 lose to PA after the siren

Odds on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
The way the Hawthorn game played out will have consequences for us.

Oppositions will now know we are susceptible to capitulation if certain tactics are applied.

Our mettle will be tested like never before going forward and each of our players will be exposed one way or another.

If you stop Carlton getting off to a flyer you will win because we struggle to score late in games. I know this is a trend in AFL this year but we don't look like scoring. No composure and no Plan B.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:57 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
david31 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
jones gets the ball of course his under pressure v Darcy moore gets ball plenty of space teammates options to hanball or kick our game plan no good

is that the same Darcy Moore who turned it over in the corridor 20 metres from goal yesterday? Resulting in a Freo goal?
The same Darcy Moore who was moved to hide in the forward line last week whilst Josh Kennedy was destroying them?

We had a bad game. It happens. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water over one loss.

We are talking about Jones here. He's had more than one bad game.

He has lost the plot. He's lacking common sense on the last line of defense this last month.
Gosh his first quarter of 2020 was a disaster.

Problem is, we have no back up Full Back to replace him. That doesn't imply he's having a good year. Maybe Goddard's form makes him a better option, but he didnt play any scratch match on the weekend.

In a nutshell, Jones has been terrible this year. I hope he picks up his game, and sticks to the basics that made him successful: stick to your man and punch the ball away towards the boundary.

On that Jones-Moore comparison, I'm not sure if there's anyone who would select/take Jones before Moore for the backline, or the forwardline, come to think of it.

Agree Jones is out of form and agree we unfortunately don’t have a replacement at the moment.

Interestingly, Liam averages 10.2 touches per games in our losses this year and 5.75 in our wins. This sums it up a bit for me - we don’t want him touching the ball unless it’s from an intercept mark. Needs to play within his limits and focus on just beating his man. Teammates must run behind him for handballs once he gets it.

I reckon if Charlie was fit, we’d consider playing Levi at full back alongside Weiters.

Last line ... is my thinking.
Then I start getting to improving us in the midfield, and can't help of thinking Charlie waxing with Setters and Crippa (Mid-Fwd), and Walsh waxing with Philp and Honey (mid-Fwd)
Dreamin.... :gift:

Has has been heart in mouth material ever since he went to the backline. While he takes some really good marks down back he also coughs it up more than should be deemed acceptable. Kicks across goal. Kicks to the corridor. Whatever. He is an unreliable user and it hurts us often.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue4ever wrote:
I wanted some changes last week however was told that players need to bust down the door before they get a run. The signs were there against North.

This week our non playing group have no game to knock the door down, hopefully work on the track may be enough.

Hopefully there is more focus on game play especially when the opposition get a run on. We cant rely on Plan A only. There are times you can continue to attack and other times you need to stem the bleeding. Difficult to stop the bleeding when all we know to do is to attack.

It's a double edged sword. The players in the twos try hard to get in, but then on the flipside if the players in the ones think they're safe, which can be communicated via no change policies , then some may lose their edge. The entire 22 had no edge for 90% of last week's game.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:25 am 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Nic Nat is a jumper.
He taps the ball to his mids AWAY from the maul to give them space to move.
If he doesn't get the hitout, he follows itup himself a la Matthew Kreuzer.
IMO he is far and away the best ruckman in the league.

Pittonet is more of a body on ody type. he runs at right angles to the opposition ruck.
He is NOT ajumper like Nic Nat.
He also palms the ball but doesn't win as many contests.

TDK is a jumper.
He is mobile.
He is a goal kicker.
We know bugger all more about him because Moore was preferred over him.
I would play him this week to see if he can out jump NicNat or at least negate his effectiveness at the stoppages.
I would rest Pittonet, even though he is playing good footy or select TDK ahead of Mitch, whom I suppose will come in for Moore.

Horses for courses.

Every week is a season-defining game for us as we struggle with the reality of being a n\middle of the table team who can compete.
This week there is the possibility we will be torn a new one.
Who goes to Kennedy? Jones or Weitering? Jones likes to back himnmself and runn off is man. Weiterng is more of a stay with him type. I like Jones. Let Weitering start on Darling.

Although I agree with you that TDK is a better option, it’s worth considering that Moore is a jumper too, so maybe he has a chance of negating Nic Nat enough to make us competitive. I’m concerned that TDK will get ragdolled if he’s asked to carry the ruck all day.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next