Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:42 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We don't have a hope in hell this weekend. WC midfield is vastly, vastly superior. It's not even same ballpark. I'd seriously consider an ultra defensive game plan if I were Teague. See if Betts can score on the rebound. He is clearly struggling with congested space.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
I wanted some changes last week however was told that players need to bust down the door before they get a run. The signs were there against North.

This week our non playing group have no game to knock the door down, hopefully work on the track may be enough.

Hopefully there is more focus on game play especially when the opposition get a run on. We cant rely on Plan A only. There are times you can continue to attack and other times you need to stem the bleeding. Difficult to stop the bleeding when all we know to do is to attack.

It's a double edged sword. The players in the twos try hard to get in, but then on the flipside if the players in the ones think they're safe, which can be communicated via no change policies , then some may lose their edge. The entire 22 had no edge for 90% of last week's game.

Great point to discuss.

I do find some of the stuff Teague says baffling.

Pressure for spots? How does that happen when continuity of playing together is his mantra?
How does a player's failure on the field yet selected the next week create pressure to perform to hold their spot?

The lack of change of the existing 22 (win or lose) does not send the message that positions are up for grab.
Even when we win, there are players who didn't perform well that should be relegated.

Mixed messages. Hidden gems. More unknowns to make good decisions on reduced list pressures

Last edited by bondiblue on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Nic Nat is a jumper.
He taps the ball to his mids AWAY from the maul to give them space to move.
If he doesn't get the hitout, he follows itup himself a la Matthew Kreuzer.
IMO he is far and away the best ruckman in the league.

Pittonet is more of a body on ody type. he runs at right angles to the opposition ruck.
He is NOT ajumper like Nic Nat.
He also palms the ball but doesn't win as many contests.

TDK is a jumper.
He is mobile.
He is a goal kicker.
We know bugger all more about him because Moore was preferred over him.
I would play him this week to see if he can out jump NicNat or at least negate his effectiveness at the stoppages.
I would rest Pittonet, even though he is playing good footy or select TDK ahead of Mitch, whom I suppose will come in for Moore.

Horses for courses.

Every week is a season-defining game for us as we struggle with the reality of being a n\middle of the table team who can compete.
This week there is the possibility we will be torn a new one.
Who goes to Kennedy? Jones or Weitering? Jones likes to back himnmself and runn off is man. Weiterng is more of a stay with him type. I like Jones. Let Weitering start on Darling.

Although I agree with you that TDK is a better option, it’s worth considering that Moore is a jumper too, so maybe he has a chance of negating Nic Nat enough to make us competitive. I’m concerned that TDK will get ragdolled if he’s asked to carry the ruck all day.

Moore is 193cm
TDK is 203 cm

One of the abovementioned jumps much musg higher than the other.

Moore did well in the midfield in the ressies playing ruck. BUT, it wasn't the ruck he was excelling at, but moreso his follow up work as a ruck rover.

The expectation is that Moore might play a Grigg role. Believ me Richmond's small running fleet are much more advanced than ours, and its a different game plan.

Moore vs Nic Nat. If that happens I'm going to spew on Teague. Its a nonsense. Doesn't give us a hope in hell and gives Nic Nat free reign. It better not happen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:04 pm 
Bob Chitty

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
I wanted some changes last week however was told that players need to bust down the door before they get a run. The signs were there against North.

This week our non playing group have no game to knock the door down, hopefully work on the track may be enough.

Hopefully there is more focus on game play especially when the opposition get a run on. We cant rely on Plan A only. There are times you can continue to attack and other times you need to stem the bleeding. Difficult to stop the bleeding when all we know to do is to attack.

It's a double edged sword. The players in the twos try hard to get in, but then on the flipside if the players in the ones think they're safe, which can be communicated via no change policies , then some may lose their edge. The entire 22 had no edge for 90% of last week's game.

Great point to discuss.

I do find some of the stuff Teague says unsettling.

Pressure for spots? How does that happen when continuity of playing together is his mantra?
How does failure on the field yet selected the next week create pressure to perform to hold their spot?

The lack of change of the existing 22 (win or lose) does not send the message that positions are up for grab.
Even when we win, there are players who didn't perform well that should be relegated.

Mixed messages

Agree with you Bondi.

Teague and the MC have made only 2-3 unforced changes (changes not brought about by an injury) this year. We’ve only omitted Lang and Philp for reasons not related to injury. I suspect, although I can’t be certain, that this is close to last in the competition.

I understand the desire for continuity but we’ve also had a few very disappointing performances where a multitude of players have not performed. We need to start looking at the guys biding their time in the 2s. I worry about what playing the same players does for enforcing the standards we want to live by. If players aren’t dropped for failing to comply with standards, then we’re sending the message that we don’t actually care about the standards.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

LOB appears to be on the outter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
LOB appears to be on the outter.

He has to replace someone in the right position.
Maybe Cunningham next game.

Fisher and Dow can replace Murphy but the MC has pretty well told him and them he has another year ahead of them and Philp in the midfield.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:57 am 
Rod Ashman

When do they announce the teams for this match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 am 
Bob Chitty

17th Premiership wrote:

Saturday evening

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

david31 wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

Saturday evening

Serious?
Guess it can't be today as the prior weeks games are still on. How strange.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 am 
Rod Ashman

Just win!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:53 am 
Bob Chitty

Paddycripps wrote:
david31 wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

Saturday evening

Serious?
Guess it can't be today as the prior weeks games are still on. How strange.

Yes, very strange times.

With games every day, AFL made the call that teams aren’t announced until the day before any given game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am 
Rod Ashman

Thanks.
I suspect the MC was keen to keep the team as is, outide of injury, given we were winning or coming pretty close over the past few weeks.
Should be interesting to see what happens at selection following the Hawthorn loss.

Personally, I'd like to see Fisher and Dow get back in at some point.
And hopefully Stocker can at some point show why we rated him so highly. And LOB too.
(It is kind of torturous to think that Silvagni and co were only 12 months out from making the best draft-trade call in the history of sport... imagine if Adelaide had performed this badly last year - we'd now be boasting a midfield of Rowell, Walsh, Cripps +++ except of course for the AFL who would have awarded (two) PPs to GC... and except of course that it never occurred!).
Ok, enough of the day dreaming - back to work!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:19 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Seems like the MC will be going with Pittonet vs NicNat based on his interview about Kruezer...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kreuzer-on-the-mend-but-faces-uncertain-future-20200807-p55jfr.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
Seems like the MC will be going with Pittonet vs NicNat based on his interview about Kruezer...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kreuzer-on-the-mend-but-faces-uncertain-future-20200807-p55jfr.html

Quote:
...while youngster Tom De Koning has a year to run on his contract and was this week listed by club chief executive Cain Liddle as one of several players the Blues need to get a clearer assessment of in terms of his best position and what "heights" he can reach.

The only way to find out what "heights" he can reach is to play him against Nic Nat, or, soon. So its still a possibility.

I think they have seen what Moore offered us in the last 2 rounds and last 3 years at Richmond.
Surely DeKoning replaces Moore as the ruck forward to avoid robbing Levi as a good target from the forward line.

I'm sure he will get his turn soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:

Quote:
...while youngster Tom De Koning has a year to run on his contract and was this week listed by club chief executive Cain Liddle as one of several players the Blues need to get a clearer assessment of in terms of his best position and what "heights" he can reach.

The only way to find out what "heights" he can reach is to play him against Nic Nat, or, soon. So its still a possibility.

I think they have seen what Moore offered us in the last 2 rounds and last 3 years at Richmond.
Surely DeKoning replaces Moore as the ruck forward to avoid robbing Levi as a good target from the forward line.

I'm sure he will get his turn soon.

I can see him dominating down at Geelong.
Their ruck spot is open.
Then we have Fisher who can't get a game because Murphy has another year added to his contract.
He would do well on the dry grounds for Freo.

They must both be considering their options.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:52 am 
Ken Hunter

Jesus Christ, Murphy getting an extra year does not mean Fisher won't get a game until 2022, stop being so melodramatic. Heaven forbid we should have any depth!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:41 am 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:

In other words, we are hoping that we fluke some intercept hit-outs, because there's no way Pittonet can out-jump or out-tap NicNat, let alone outrun him or out-mark him.

Good luck Pitto.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

To be fair can anyone out jump or out tap NicNat at the moment?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:20 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Papley?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:23 am 
Geoff Southby

bluehammer wrote:
To be fair can anyone out jump or out tap NicNat at the moment?

Yeah well,i reckon big Tommy can .Gotta fantastic leap young Tommy................Tommy is not the sort of kid who would shirk a challenge.He does not want to be molly coddled.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next