Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
jones gets the ball of course his under pressure v Darcy moore gets ball plenty of space teammates options to hanball or kick our game plan no good

is that the same Darcy Moore who turned it over in the corridor 20 metres from goal yesterday? Resulting in a Freo goal?
The same Darcy Moore who was moved to hide in the forward line last week whilst Josh Kennedy was destroying them?

We had a bad game. It happens. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water over one loss.

We are talking about Jones here. He's had more than one bad game.

He has lost the plot. He's lacking common sense on the last line of defense this last month.
Gosh his first quarter of 2020 was a disaster.

Problem is, we have no back up Full Back to replace him. That doesn't imply he's having a good year. Maybe Goddard's form makes him a better option, but he didnt play any scratch match on the weekend.

In a nutshell, Jones has been terrible this year. I hope he picks up his game, and sticks to the basics that made him successful: stick to your man and punch the ball away towards the boundary.

On that Jones-Moore comparison, I'm not sure if there's anyone who would select/take Jones before Moore for the backline, or the forwardline, come to think of it.

Agree Jones is out of form and agree we unfortunately don’t have a replacement at the moment.

Interestingly, Liam averages 10.2 touches per games in our losses this year and 5.75 in our wins. This sums it up a bit for me - we don’t want him touching the ball unless it’s from an intercept mark. Needs to play within his limits and focus on just beating his man. Teammates must run behind him for handballs once he gets it.

I reckon if Charlie was fit, we’d consider playing Levi at full back alongside Weiters.

Last line ... is my thinking.
Then I start getting to improving us in the midfield, and can't help of thinking Charlie waxing with Setters and Crippa (Mid-Fwd), and Walsh waxing with Philp and Honey (mid-Fwd)
Dreamin.... :gift:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:49 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
jones gets the ball of course his under pressure v Darcy moore gets ball plenty of space teammates options to hanball or kick our game plan no good

is that the same Darcy Moore who turned it over in the corridor 20 metres from goal yesterday? Resulting in a Freo goal?
The same Darcy Moore who was moved to hide in the forward line last week whilst Josh Kennedy was destroying them?

We had a bad game. It happens. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water over one loss.

He has lost the plot. He's lacking common sense on the last line of defense this last month.

Problem is, we have no back up Full Back to replace him. That doesn't imply he's having a good year. Maybe Goddard's form makes him a better option, but he didnt play any scratch match on the weekend.

In a nutshell, Jones has been terrible this year. I hope he picks up his game, and sticks to the basics that made him successful: stick to your man and punch the ball away towards the boundary.

On that Jones-Moore comparison, I'm not sure if there's anyone who would select/take Jones before Moore for the backline, or the forwardline, come to think of it.

We can only dream of having a midfield that bats as deep as Collingwood's, allowing defenders more defensive cover, retention of structure and more time to set up

Jones has NOT lost the plot. Period. Is he a little out form? YES. So are probably 100 other AFL players each week

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:

Goddard? FFS.
No one is saying Jones is better than Moore but who in their right mind would pay top dollar to get Darcy Moore? I
Moores injury history is terrible and as I said above, he isn't the messiah people make him out to be. He was hidden in the forward line last week after Josh Kennedy ripped them a new one.
People focus on Jones' negatives and dont look at his strengths. If you want to talk turnovers, Jacob Weitering averages more turnovers per game than Jones.
Jones is 3rd in the AFL for one percenters per game (behind Andrews and Barrass) and he's our second highest player for intercepts behind Docherty.
He's carried our backline against talls for 3 years now. We have a game style that has us conceding the 3rd most points in the AFL. Try playing defence with our 1 paced midfield.
He's an easy target copping it unfairly IMO.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Our midfield aren’t making it easy for our defenders - they don’t run hard both ways and then they make crucial errors and fumbles going forward and the ball slingshots back the other way leaving our Key defenders exposed.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
Our midfield aren’t making it easy for our defenders - they don’t run hard both ways and then they make crucial errors and fumbles going forward and the ball slingshots back the other way leaving our Key defenders exposed.

Brett Ratten football

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Goddard? FFS.
No one is saying Jones is better than Moore but who in their right mind would pay top dollar to get Darcy Moore? I
Moores injury history is terrible and as I said above, he isn't the messiah people make him out to be. He was hidden in the forward line last week after Josh Kennedy ripped them a new one.
People focus on Jones' negatives and dont look at his strengths. If you want to talk turnovers, Jacob Weitering averages more turnovers per game than Jones.
Jones is 3rd in the AFL for one percenters per game (behind Andrews and Barrass) and he's our second highest player for intercepts behind Docherty.
When we lose, everyone's a @#$%&! critic. He's carried our backline against talls for 3 years now. We have a game style that has us conceding the 3rd most points in the AFL. Trying playing defence with our 1 paced midfield.

Agree, we do not bat very deep in the midfield, Setterfield, Kennedy and Cripps - not much pace there. The opposition are exploiting this area. Opposition midfielders are kicking goals against us. Jones may fluff one or two but he aint on his own there. The way the game is played now most players will turn the ball over. Jones isn't the issue, lack of quality midfielders along with our one and only game plan is the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:

Yep...can't argue with that...needs to be looked at in totality, not isolation

Forwards are only as good as the midfield delivery. Defenders are only as good as midfield support/cover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

We can only dream of having a midfield that bats as deep as Collingwood's, allowing defenders more defensive cover, retention of structure and more time to set up

Jones has NOT lost the plot. Period. Is he a little out form? YES. So are probably 100 other AFL players each week

Collingwood's midfield, albeit depleted, has been comprehensively beaten two weeks running, including last night by a group of 18 year olds.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am 
Ken Hunter

grrofunger wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Brett Ratten football

Ah yes, Brett Ratten, what a rubbish coach he was. No surprise that he never amounted to... wait, what?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Goddard? FFS.
He's carried our backline against talls for 3 years now. We have a game style that has us conceding the 3rd most points in the AFL. Try playing defence with our 1 paced midfield.

I understand the support for Jones. I get it. We all know why he's there at FB.
But, like all the list, he is not immune to criticism, and his weaknesses should be called out, just as his achievements should be.
No need to get all precious about Jones or anyone with flaws in their game.

Jones was a revelation at FB in The Bullants in 2017. Resurrected his career. His weapon being his height and ability to punch the ball away ie kill the ball.aka 1%ers

Statistics don't show everything. There's more going on in his game than his one percenters. We are not talking about Weitering or Moore, my focus is on what Jones has been doing wrong this year and why and what is needed to improve this situation. That's fair to me.

Logic says, either you replace him with someone better, or, he fixes problems that didn't happen as often from round 11 in 2017 when he was selected to play in the team he was discarded from and had his papers stamped. At the time, we had Rowe FB and Jack Silvagni CHB, with Weiters in the Ressies. Macreadie had just got injured again, as dis Rowe in this round. Jones got his chance.

Doesn't matter how you cut it, Jones has been playing below the level he has in last couple of years, and his last month has been terrible.

Is there a statistic that shows how many times he's let his opponent to take the easy mark, or shot at goal?
Is there a statistic that shows his decisions that gave the opposition an easy goal? not necassrily his opponent.
Despite all the statistics on hand, everyone can agree he's out of form.

That's all I'm saying; Jones is out of form.

The Moore comparison
The Goddard replacement
Weiterings numbers

None of the above diversions mask the fact that Jones is out of form. Sure he takes a mark here and there, but so do his opponents, and he drops a lot too.

There's no doubt imo there's Common sense missing, hence why I suggest Jones may have lost the plot.
He doesn't pay his opponent enough respect imo, and hasn't applied disciplined 101 backline basics, body on body, or close enough to get the spoil.
Sure he gets a few spoils etc, but he has brain fades. He's 198cm and he can make that work for him better; like he did in 2017 and 2018 in particular.

Admittedly, Buddy give him a bath one night at the SCG in 2018, with a 10 goal display, all because Jones gave him 10 metres of space, all game, but he fixed that in 2018: he paid no respect and giving that much space, he couldn't close, lacked common sense. It was all over the media at the time. He said he learned from that and he did. The same problem imo has crept into his game in 2019 and moreso in 2020; that's all. History repeating. Nothing new, Nothing that can't be fixed.

I'm sure every Carlton supporter has shaken their head whilst witnssing some of the glaring mistakes Jones has made and continues to make, usually leaking a goal.

Just because we don't have anyone pressuring Jones for his spot, (and Goddard's name was the proof there isn't an alternative), doesn't mean Jones is in great form at FB, nor does it mean that he doesn't need to improve his defensive basics.

Just as Jones replaced Rowe to improve our defence in round 11 2017, Carlton's quest to for a better option at FB in our quest for Flag 17 should continue (and I hope Austin is looking), and until we do that, we should all want Jones to improve his craft in defence to the level circa 2017, and stop making glaring stupid mistakes only Jones seems to make regularly, and that's the point, its not a one off mistake.

Moral to the story: there's always room for improvement. Everyone. The club should'nt hide from that, nor should we have to on these forums.

CARLTON

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

That's what I'm saying, with the added spice "he has lost the plot".

I say this because he's making the same mistakes this year, as he had in the past, but he learned from those experiences and fixed them. He's lost the plot by not applying those early learnings in the backline (back in 2017) and he's not paying enough respect to his opponents.

Criticism that comes his way since he started playing FB is that he plays too loose with some opponents.
This has nothing to do with the midfield's output, and what 100 other AFL players are doing doesn't make it right.

Jones needs to fix this up. He has in the past. If he can't fix it again, then lets face it, he turns 29 this year, and 30 in 2021.
Unless you think we are candidates for a flag in 2020-21 then his time is coming to an end as he slows down, and we must look further beyond Jones and not take for granted he's the Messiah or that he's going to be around forever.

I'm glad you stick up for him, but he needs to improve.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Current forecast - 95% chance of rain (15-20mm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:43 am 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Brett Ratten football

Ah yes, Brett Ratten, what a rubbish coach he was. No surprise that he never amounted to... wait, what?

We should never have sacked him.

It’s taken us all these years to get back to playing a similar style which was frustrating to watch at times for the reasons Agro mentions but it was the most successful period we’ve had for what feels like forever.

I think Teague is on the right track.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:07 am 
Bob Chitty

Humpers wrote:

Don’t mind this if it happens.

Our midfield is stacked full on contested inside players (Cripps, Ed, Setters and Kennedy) without any real pace to spread from the contest (if we get the ball) or defend the spread (if they get the ball). The wet weather may mitigate our lack of speed in there and make it more of a contested slow, territory style game (which suits us).

Still think we’ll struggle to break even in the middle given I rate their midfield as one of the best in the competition, but this may help a bit. Their midfield has us covered for quality and flexibility. Shuey, Yeo, Kelly, Sheed, Redden and Gaff are all mature quality talent in their prime - youngest would be Kelly and Sheed who are probably 25 (like Cripps). They can win it on the inside but also Kelly, Yeo, Shuey and Gaff have some leg speed, especially compared to our guys, so they hurt you a lot more on the outside.

Would like to see us start introducing more speed into the centre bounce group. Obviously we need to target this in the off season but until then we should be rotating Martin and Cunners through there. Look to bring back Dow and Fisher. We have options and we should start trying them to find out exactly what we’ve got. Playing 3 of Cripps, Ed, Setters and Kennedy at any given centre bojnce is too slow and predictable. We need to keep the opposition guessing by introducing a burst player who they must worry about getting on the outside.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Brett Ratten football

It’s taken us all these years to get back to playing a similar style which was frustrating to watch at times for the reasons Agro mentions but it was the most successful period we’ve had for what feels like forever.

I don’t think our midfield ran hard both ways in Ratten’s day either.

St Kilda might be doing it now but Carlton certainly weren’t doing it then and they certainly aren’t doing it now.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

grrofunger wrote:

The problem was who we replaced him with, not his actual sacking, IMO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Brett Ratten football

I don’t think our midfield ran hard both ways in Ratten’s day either.

St Kilda might be doing it now but Carlton certainly weren’t doing it then and they certainly aren’t doing it now.

:wink:

It was always our problem under Ratten

Midfield were downhill skiers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I think our whole club is still culturally mired in a “down hill skier” mentality.

When the going gets tough we mentally disintegrate.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:46 pm 
Bob Chitty

No Cunners this week (1-2 with a calf).
Gov a chance.
JSOS still a few weeks off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Humpers wrote:

With that

Cunners out injured
Moore out dropped

Ins:
Fisher
and one of Philp, Honey or Cottrell
Considered TDK but conditions wont suit and AR says Gov is close but not certain. Best to be cautious and give him another week.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next