Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:07 am 
John James

If H and McG are out then Cripps to the forward line, Cuningham into the middle, Moore gets one more and Honey in for a run to see what he can do. All good fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:21 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Logically you'd only bring back Harry for Moore wouldn't you ...?

Injuries aside, you don't mess too much with winning teams I reckon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:46 am 
Ken Hunter

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Quite a few people here have an obsession in dropping players.

It's a bit annoying eh, especially when it seems to be more about punishing the bloke in the team than any real conviction that the bloke on the sidelines is better. Drop a consistent performer like Newnes! Drop a bloke who got 20 possies like Murph! Drop Plowman, he gave away a free kick! Drop SPS, he's played too many consecutive games so he must be complacent! Drop Moore, he's... Okay, I can get on board with dropping Moore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

It's a bit annoying eh, especially when it seems to be more about punishing the bloke in the team than any real conviction that the bloke on the sidelines is better. Drop a consistent performer like Newnes! Drop a bloke who got 20 possies like Murph! Drop Plowman, he gave away a free kick! Drop SPS, he's played too many consecutive games so he must be complacent! Drop Moore, he's... Okay, I can get on board with dropping Moore.

But the debutant coming in could be anything

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 am 
Geoff Southby

If McGovern, Harry & SOJ are unavailable - but Levi is OK - I would go with:

In: Honey, TDK
Out: McGovern (inj), Moore

Obviously that’s a change in structure (ie. one less tall), but the alternative is to play both Moore & TDK which is not ideal.

If TDK had a good scratch match on Friday (and the preliminary report suggests that he did), he is a better alternative as 2nd ruck. Allows Levi to stay forward.

We could play Fish, Dow or LOB instead of Honey - but I would pick Honey while he is in form and see how he goes. Cripps, Kennedy & Setterfield might need to spend a bit more time forward and Gibbons might need to take a bit more of the midfield load.

But hopefully at least one of McGovern or Harry are available and we can keep the same structure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:30 am 
John Nicholls

GreatEx wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

:lol:

The Williamson call makes me laugh. We've been desperate for him to get his body right for 3 years, now he has, a couple of meh weeks and we apparently want him gone..... like there's a huge queue for that position. Some want 3 or 4 players shuffled in position just to get Willo out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:12 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Willo is one who has the courage to pick out a player or position forward of the ball and hit the spot.

Why anyone would contemplate dropping him baffles me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:38 am 
John Nicholls

I just wonder if there's room for Newman and Willo in the same team... presumably at the end of the year Simmo moves on and there will be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Moore was seriously horrible. It wasn’t that he didn’t take a mark or kick a goal but his pressure and application was just plain u10’s standard. What would it highlight to everyone, if we kept him in this week? If we need to bring a quarter fit DeKoning in, I would rather that, as you know he’ll bring attitude.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:
I just wonder if there's room for Newman and Willo in the same team... presumably at the end of the year Simmo moves on and there will be.

We need to find a lock down small BP. We know Plowman or Willo can do the job on medium forwards but have some doubts on the smallish ground player forwards.
We know Polson is very good offensively and by all accounts is improving in spades but does he have the lock down skills needed?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

We need to find a lock down small BP. We know Plowman or Willo can do the job on medium forwards but have some doubts on the smallish ground player forwards.

Plowman strength is playing on the smaller forwards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

We know Polson is very good offensively and by all accounts is improving in spades but does he have the lock down skills needed?

We do? I reckon he’s a turnover merchant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

Hawks fwd line nothing to write home about and their slow ball movement makes them one of the lowest scoring teams in the comp.

If we can win the midfield the game is ours for the taking.

If we were to go small in the fwd line due to injury, whoever plays small must be able to create pressure and hold the ball in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Good debate is all we ask for on TC.
No point belittling fellow posters for their opinions.

Carlton are starting to show some consistency and a few wins.

Carlton also have a longer list of Round 1 Draft selections sitting on the sidelines aiming to displace the weaker performers:and there will come a time when they do, due to injury, form or ability.

A footy game is plagued with mistakes: both teams. Its part of the parcel and have to accept players make mistakes.

Its the mistakes which are repeated, and a player shows no improvements from potential learnings that need to be highlighted and discussed: nothing wrong with that. Some posters think any criticism of a player's mistake is deemed to writing off that player. Not so.

We just have to have a look at how players like Jones and Casboult, have transformed their games in the reserves, sharpening their sword only to come back to the seniors as an assett to the whole. Change is inevitable with such aa deep list of quality picks. Therefore discussion of change is normal occurence with a List Profile like ours.

Opinions, choices is what we all can call out, but ultimately its the MC that makes the final decision on any changes. I love reading the differing opinions on TC; same as sitting at a bar talking footy shit with a mate: it creates interest in the list, not just the 22 who were selected on any given weekend.

Its fantastic to know we have developing quality in the reserves like:

TDK
Fisher
Dow
OBrien
Philp
Socker
Macreadie
Silvagni.B
Cottrell
Owies...

whilst our injury list includes the following:

Curnow. C
McKay
Marchbank
Kreuzer
Silvagni.J
McGovern
Newman.
Kemp

Add a couple of new FA/ Trades like Papley, Wines, Kelly...and you guessed it, change to the current line up is inevitable. Timing depends on the conviction of opinion....the MC type :wink:

Change to the team is inevitable, and some of the reasons for the change will resonate with some of the opinions made, and ridiculed.

What we do know is that players like Simpson, Murphy, Betts and Kreuzer is their career is coming to an end. We need their experience to enjoy success this year, if that's what we want, till the kids develop enough and take their position. Some want that change of guard earlier than others; that's all.

I've always looked forward to the recruitment of Marchbank and Plowman to have the luxury of playing them on the wings and using their big bodies in the contest and marking prowess to provide link between backs and forwards....a bit like I wished the same with Waite and Walker yesteryear. Sometimes injury will not allow that to happen.

I love youse all. :thumbsup: ... and can still see Finals for us this year ... anything can happen.

I want to reward the whole group/ club with a Flag this year ... :yikes:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
Willo is one who has the courage to pick out a player or position forward of the ball and hit the spot.

Why anyone would contemplate dropping him baffles me.

Maybe because he's been making a lot of footy 101 mistakes the last 3 games.
Maybe his ankle isn't 100% right and is hindering his potential.
Maybe Honey might be bought in to try out in that role, given Simmo will be vacating a spot next year.
Maybe the speed of Philp at HBF against the sluggish Hawks.

None of us really know what the MC is thinking.
If the MC love what he brings to the team, then so do I.

Willo seems to be in the mould of a classic hard nosed HBF. He turns 22 this year and lets keep front of mind he is still developing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Willo is a good young player however he isn't "undroppable" and needs to work on certain areas of his game. He was below par against Port and poor against North coughing up 2 goals. He probably keeps his spot for now due to Marchbank and Newman being injured however I'm open to the idea of say moving Newnes back to defence and giving the likes of Fisher/O'Brien/Dow a run.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:04 pm 
Ken Hands

Question - does Weitering have a match up this week? Why not throw him up forward.

Drop Moore and let Casbault take ruck relief. I think he likes that.

I know Weitering is in rare form but it could be an option.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:14 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Is Levi right? He's looked off it the last two weeks - maybe playing through something?

With all these games coming up in a compressed period it would be good to give him a week freshen up (if the other big blokes are fit)

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Can we stop asking for blokes to be rested when we have a bye after this game?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next