Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:05 pm 
formerly King Kenny

keogh wrote:
For a start
Best game of footy for the season
Close but no cigar but for me just as happy as last week
Port are better than the doggies

A few passengers still out there
To me that was the difference
I thought Teague should have tried Casboult on Dixon
Anyway c how we go next week

How quickly we forget that defence is what turned Casboult around last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Maybe but it is one thing giving Casboult a role in defence, and btw I really liked him there.
However, it is another thing switching him onto the in form key forward in the comp in the middle of a match, esp someone of the size and brute strength of Dixon.
Dixon was huge and the difference but I’m not sure anyone else would have done any better.

And FWIW, I think it would have been awesome to win. However, it is not bad for our boys to feel what it’s like to just lose (Port and the Demons) - drop the ball for just a second, and good teams will pile on a score.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

A very frustrating outcome but a great game to watch. (Until the last 30 seconds!)
A few concerning aspects for them to address. Martin having the shot from 45 when McGovern was alone 15 metres out from goal. Fortunately he kicked the goal because it was pretty selfish. Players flying against each other too often including Harry who spoilt his own team mate at half back. (Martin from memory)
A lot to like though. The backline is operating as a unit well. The forward line is exciting when we get it in there quickly and the midfield is performing OK, even when Cripps is down. Weitering and Plowman were excellent again and I thought McGovern worked hard to offer the outer option from defence. Doc uses the ball exceptionally well and although I gave Martin a cook above, he is exciting to watch. I dont understand why we let Simmo kick in. 50% of the time he goes long to Cripps. If nuffy supporters like me can see it, the opposition would be all over it.
Get Doc, SPS or Willo to kick it in.

Next week is our test. Hopefully Cunnington, Anderson and Zurhaar miss. Goldstein is in super form so Pittonet will have a big challenge.
North and GWS usually take our midfield apart so the challenge is there for us to turn it around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
I dont understand why we let Simmo kick in. 50% of the time he goes long to Cripps. If nuffy supporters like me can see it, the opposition would be all over it.

A few of us have been saying it for years, but something something something, killing Bambi’s mother.

:razz:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Coaches votes:

10 Charlie Dixon (PORT)
7 Tom Jonas (PORT)
5 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
4 Peter Ladhams (PORT)
2 Trent McKenzie (PORT)
1 Ollie Wines (PORT)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

5 Dixon, Dixon
4 Jonas, Ladhams
3 Walsh, Jonas
2 McKenzie, Walsh
1 Wines, Weitering

Surprised Ladhams only got votes from 1 coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Pretty average for our forwards when 2 of their key defenders received 9 votes between them and one took probably the match saving mark.
Especially when one defender is 188cm and the other is 191cm. :mad:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:18 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Coaches votes:

10 Charlie Dixon (PORT)
7 Tom Jonas (PORT)
5 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
4 Peter Ladhams (PORT)
2 Trent McKenzie (PORT)
1 Ollie Wines (PORT)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)

I wonder how the votes would have changed if the goal after the siren was missed and we won?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Coaches votes:

10 Charlie Dixon (PORT)
7 Tom Jonas (PORT)
5 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
4 Peter Ladhams (PORT)
2 Trent McKenzie (PORT)
1 Ollie Wines (PORT)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)

I wonder how the votes would have changed if the goal after the siren was missed and we won?
I was thinking the same.
Either that or Carlton game was a great team effort and Port relied on a few individuals

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
Pretty average for our forwards when 2 of their key defenders received 9 votes between them and one took probably the match saving mark.
Especially when one defender is 188cm and the other is 191cm. :mad:

The fact is our forwards were pretty ordinary and the entries into the F50 were even more so.
Harry kicked three but the reality is, they were peaks in an ordinary game. He gave away several frees in key moments of the game in tactically horrible places on the ground that allowed the PA defence to clear the D50. His game the week before with lots of tackles, ground ball gets, open play.... Look where he led against Port. Over into the pockets. That makes it easy for the defence to punch it out, makes the eventual shot harder and opens up the space in front of goals for the lead that never comes or the defender that does.
Levi had a mare and missed one from 11 metres out DIF. He would be the first to admit that.
Mitch did OK but he doesn't get enough of the footy to make a difference when Harry is just running around the forward line giving away frees and then bobbing up to kick a goal. Harry is a beast like Dixon. he should be made to sit in front of the Dixon highlight reel [i]a la [i] 'A Clockwork Orange' until he realises that's what a power forward does.
Eddie had to take a speccy just to get a look early.
Gibbo played pretty well but his best goal was out of his ear.
Cunners had some nice cameos but should have hit up Levi instead of going for goal off his left too far out.

If we consistently bomb it long into the F50 where the talls are going to jump against each other and free up the sweeper, of course they are going to get the votes. If someone takes mark after mark in defence and ten when he doesn't take the mark he gets a stupid free, of course he is going to get votes.

Wake up peeps.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:28 am 
Bert Deacon

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Harry is a beast like Dixon.
I'm not convinced he is yet. I reckon physically he will be in time, but I'm not sure he'll ever play like a beast-power forward a-la Dixon. I think he wants to play more like the style of Buddy i.e. beat you with athleticism. Agreed there are physical similarities, Harry a little taller but Dixon has several kgs on Harry (107 vs 99 if you believe club websites), but Harry's never going to win a wrestle with someone like Jonas, but he will jump on his head and out run him. I like the idea of him playing like Dixon, but I reckon it'd need a massive mental reset for it to happen anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 am 
Robert Walls

Harry is 22, Dixon is 29.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluechampion wrote:

Not sure being 22 makes someone less big.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

Not sure being 22 makes someone less big.

Harry has shown miles more than Dixon did at 22 at the GCS.

Its good to be back in Sydney, isolating.
Couldn't get on to TC for the last few weeks whilst in Melbourne.
No problem getting websites elsewhere.

Have enjoyed reading your posts. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7