Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

For a start
Best game of footy for the season
Close but no cigar but for me just as happy as last week
Port are better than the doggies

A few passengers still out there
To me that was the difference
I thought Teague should have tried Casboult on Dixon
Anyway c how we go next week

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
Seemed like lots of those contests where Port outmarked us way too easily. After watching Teague's press conference, I'm not sure that Gibbons can be accused of lacking composure, seems like he was doing exactly what he was expected to do.

Yep. The alternative for Gibbons was to kick backwards into our defensive fifty. Port would have pressed up and the next kick would have been dicey unless we could somehow get a free man. He took seconds off the clock, steadied and kicked long to a contest on the boundary where we had Pittonet, Levi & Harry. It wasn’t a bad option if there was nothing else on.

The really disappointing thing was that Pittonet, Levi & Harry couldn’t kill the contest and get the ball out of bounds. Getting out marked in that situation is unforgivable.

We seemed to turn it over time and time again kicking it long to a contest. We need to work on positioning and having someone at the fall of the ball. Port seemed to be able to take it away from those contests with ease.

I thought we were clearly outmuscled and outbodied in contested/clearance situations as well but we somehow stuck with them.

We did bloody well and should have earned some respect. I guess it's good that losing hurts again? @#$%&! that top of the ladder team had to be one that got away.

It doesn’t matter how many you have at the fall of the ball if the opposition mark it! Pittonet, Levi or Harry needed to impact that last contest. Opposition marks in our forward line is a source of immense frustration for me, especially when we field 3 tall targets down there. For me, the long kick into attack isn’t the problem, it’s when our big blokes allow the opposition to mark it.

I agree, too often we didn't bloody mark it, hence my frustration over and over and over again at our kicks down the line when we didn't mark and Port could take it away with ease.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

I like liam's Jones but he got absolutely smashed and that matchup cost us the game

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

Port controlled the centre corridor and did not allow us to run and deliver through the middle.
Port used great run and carry utilising the outside clearance spare player and we couldn’t or didn’t counter it.
We seem to go back to fighting for the same ball, especially in the air.
We need to use stop kicking long at times to contests. If we have an option to handball to a runner in better position, then utilise the run more and open the game further up into our forward line. Mix it up a little.
Why did we lose our forward structure in the 2nd half? Too many Port players watzing out of defence too easily.

Fix these and we are a 5 to 10 goal better team.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

keogh wrote:
For a start
Best game of footy for the season
Close but no cigar but for me just as happy as last week
Port are better than the doggies

A few passengers still out there
To me that was the difference
I thought Teague should have tried Casboult on Dixon
Anyway c how we go next week
Thought the same re Casboult, we know he can do well at both ends

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Lowey_47 wrote:
I like liam's Jones but he got absolutely smashed and that matchup cost us the game

Not all Liam’s fault. For instance, Dickson is holding Jones out with his arm and gets a free for holding the man or when Jones is stopped by a shepherd to get to the footy or when Jones is pushed in the back and no free kick to him. Somehow Harry or Casboult get the fee paid against them however......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SurreyBlue wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

Not all Liam’s fault. For instance, Dickson is holding Jones out with his arm and gets a free for holding the man or when Jones is stopped by a shepherd to get to the footy or when Jones is pushed in the back and no free kick to him. Somehow Harry or Casboult get the fee paid against them however......

Amazing how often this happens when our game is umpired by that bald flog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think I've calmed down enough to comment.
I broke a bone in my pinky slamming the desk after the last kick of the day.
Why?
Firstly because I shouldn't slam the desk.
Secondly because we should have won that game, even though Port was possibly the better side on the day.

Gibbons didn't lose us the game nor did Gray win it. The game was won and lost over 80 minutes.
Levi's miss cost us 11 points.
Murphy should have kicked that sitter.
McGovern should have had a shot from fifty instead of trying to do the team thing and get it to someone closer. He nailed one from fifty last week.
Martin missed a sitter.
The umpire coached Port when their player was about to run through the point post after a mark. That is just inexcusable. One point extra for us plus time to set up downfield. The umpires are there to adjudicate the game, not coach players.
Jones's free against Dixon was a joke. I posted last night on another site that Jones was only trying to get Dixon's hand out of his face. A couple of contests later, Jones gets knocked out of the way. Nicely played according to the commentators.

Port had similar misses to ours. I think they probably cancelled each other out.

Harry ended up with three goals but his effort overall was lackadaisical. He spent the game after his first two giving away frees. Then he bobbed up and kicked his third. I wish he had a red hot go all game.
Pittonet came back to earth. He's only played 8 games of footy so that's normal. Just so, his opponent was also inexperienced and looked a lot more comfortable out there. He has another big job next week.
We were smashed at the clearances for most of the game. Cripps is either injured or has lost too much weight. Kennedy was quiet. Murphy did nothing. Setterfield went OK.
We were beaten on the spread. They got it far too easily out of the D50. Someone would inevitably mark the ball and KNEW that there would be someone on their own on the fat side. It must have happened five or six times.
We didn't use the corridor. Last week we played daring footy and used the 45 degree kick in the wet and ran the footy. This week, we allowed Port to do that to us. We abandoned that which won us the game last week and reverted to a version of the MM tactic of long down the boundary, where our tall players were consistently beaten to the footy. I recall McKay taking a couple of marks at HB and not much else.
SPS was invisible for 3/4 of the game. It puzzles me as to why a player of his undoubted ability with ball in hand is sent down to the HBF as an intercept player. He should be running around the wings on the outside in space. In the last we had a glimpse of his skills on both sides of his body. It is obviously a different option to the 'bomb it long to a contest in the hot spot' we have been employing since Kernahan.. He and Walsh and Martin can all hit a lead up forward but I think we only did it once all night and that resulted in a point from a sitter.

That's why we lost.
Well almost.
Good teams don't panic when they are in a winning position and they take their chances. Like Port did. Like we didn't. OK, they missed three shots in the dying minutes and might easily have won by a few goals but good teams snatch those victories. Gibbons had the chance to go backwards or sideways to a short option. The umps were paying 10 metre marks all night, some even 7-8 metres. His kick followed team instructions and resulted in a PA player taking an uncontested mark in the same pack as all our talls.
Good teams don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We have lost far too many close games in the last few years by not knowing how to win. That will come.

People on various forums are blaming the umpires for the loss. They did a shit job but that isn't why we lost. They have no idea what 15 metres looks like and they decided not to pay HTB last night, which was a joke in itself. It evens out over the match but the AFL wants an open game and for two weeks they paid everything and last night they paid 3 for the entire game, which resulted in an untidy arm wrestle after a scintillating first quarter. They didn't cost us the game but their failure to pay free kicks where they are and let teams chip the footy 7-10 metres when they are under pressure downfield is ruining the LOOK of the game and preventing an open contest. Not to mention the third man in that teams use to deliberately waste time. Powell Pepper is an expert at doing it. If a Carlton player tackles a Port player to the ground and a Port player then tackles the Carlton player to stop the ball coming out, it is holding the man every day of the week. All teams do it, including us. Why? Because the umpires let them. Same as the 10 metre chips and the receiving the tackle. Players KNOW the umps have no idea and will always play as close to the line as possible , always seeking to stretch the limits.

It was a great game of footy. It had most of the things we want to see. I think we have made the comp sit up and take notice. Certainly if we can make it into the eight with a relatively full list, we will shape the way things pan out.

A special mention to Walsh for his gutsy mark. It was a standout highlight for the game. It's a pity he didn't think about what to do next. Hand balling to Kennedy in the middle of two or three Port players wasn't the correct option.

We have to thrash Norf next week. They are on their knees. We have to be ruthless, relentless and remorseless. (They're the names of three of my books, by the way :smoking: )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

At least it wasn't Westhoff I guess.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 am 
Banned

Paddycripps wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Was yelling at the TV with a minute or two left, do not kick it to a contest, milk the clock.

Guess I wasn't yelling loud enough.

Teague said the plan is to kick down the line and get it out of bounds. Not sure I like that strategy. We couldn't even get it right anyhow.

Its a viable strategy against an aggressive press which Port was employing. We attempted to clear the press with long aggressive kicks on the boundary line and depended on our talls to either take a mark or kill the ball over the boundary to reset and win the clearance. Their press was too aggressive to chip the ball around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 am 
John James

Walsh wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Was yelling at the TV with a minute or two left, do not kick it to a contest, milk the clock.

Teague said the plan is to kick down the line and get it out of bounds. Not sure I like that strategy. We couldn't even get it right anyhow.

Its a viable strategy against an aggressive press which Port was employing. We attempted to clear the press with long aggressive kicks on the boundary line and depended on our talls to either take a mark or kill the ball over the boundary to reset and win the clearance. Their press was too aggressive to chip the ball around.

Our three tales should have made a better contest and as has mentioned by Teague, get the ball to the boundary and reset. We do lack leadership on field. That was glowing example. Despite the sentimentality, MM should be confined to the forward pocket but until the next level of players take the step (O'Brien, Dow, Stocker, JSOS), he remains in the midfield.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 am 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/TalkingCarlton/stat ... 7226919937

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kicks_aft ... s_football

#cursed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:17 am 
Bob Chitty

Lowey_47 wrote:

He’s not the first and won’t be the last. Good player that Dixon. Jones tried hard and didn’t do anything silly or undisciplined.

Plowman cost us the game with his effort on Gray at the end........

.......just kidding. As much as I rag on Plowman most weeks, he was very good yesterday. Very impressed.

Onward and upward. We have improved a lot and have further room to grow of course. GO BLUES!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:33 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Port had 10 of the last 11 inside 50's and missed 3 sitters in the last 5 mins.
They deserved to win especially considering they had a 4:30am wake up, 6:30am 2.5 hour flight and then straight to the Gabba. Happy with our performance however need to back it up against North.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

Humpers wrote:
Port had 10 of the last 11 inside 50's and missed 3 sitters in the last 5 mins.
They deserved to win especially considering they had a 4:30am wake up, 6:30am 2.5 hour flight and then straight to the Gabba. Happy with our performance however need to back it up against North.

I know it can be foolhardy to talk in absolutes, but…

On current form, losing to North would be inexcusable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:09 pm 
Bob Chitty

this.

I am more nervous about this game than I have been for sometime.

We should monster them considering how bad they are playing, but on past form that is the type of scenario where we run a side i to form and lose!!

Disappointed against Port and thin we had the game I our hands to win but stuffed it up. Great kick by Gray etc ... but if we where smarter he wouldn't have had that opportunity to begin with. We need to learn from that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

I thought I had reconciled the loss, but I woke up very disappointed this morning. I'm still proud of how our team played, but the one that got away still stings.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

Beijing Blue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Our three tales should have made a better contest and as has mentioned by Teague, get the ball to the boundary and reset. We do lack leadership on field. That was glowing example. Despite the sentimentality, MM should be confined to the forward pocket but until the next level of players take the step (O'Brien, Dow, Stocker, JSOS), he remains in the midfield.

We will not get the youngsters on the field unless some reality checks are taken.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:48 pm 
Bert Deacon

RUN and CARRY this is what our side needs ,saying it for years our under10 football game plan no good lot players get ball boot it ,long bomb to contest, it is our downfall.Win or lose yesterday i would have had same feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

What disappoints me is the gold coast game last year was meant to have been a learning experience in how to close out a close game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next