Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:44 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Nothing would surprise me with this game.
History says North could rebound hard and we could go flat.
Trying to predict attitudes is a dangerous thing to do this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:42 am 
Rod Ashman

Was it just me or did Jones look to be struggling after that head clash with Dixon?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:25 am 
Rod Ashman

Just win!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am 
Ken Hunter

Next 2 weeks are now bigger than we can imagine and will truly give us a clear indication of where this group is at.
Playing well against Port was a non-negotiable and we did that and nearly won the bloody game. Awesome outcome.
However, winning and winning well against North and Hawks(?) is not up for discussion. It's now an expectation, and it will be a challenge, as both sides will come at us, but if we want to become successful, we stand and deliver.
Looking forward!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:45 am 
Bob Chitty

SurreyBlue wrote:
Next 2 weeks are now bigger than we can imagine and will truly give us a clear indication of where this group is at.
Playing well against Port was a non-negotiable and we did that and nearly won the bloody game. Awesome outcome.
However, winning and winning well against North and Hawks(?) is not up for discussion. It's now an expectation, and it will be a challenge, as both sides will come at us, but if we want to become successful, we stand and deliver.
Looking forward!

Very well put SB.

We’ve shown we can match it with the best. We’ve embraced our status as hunters against the Cats, Dogs, Power and (to a lesser extent) Essendon*. We’ve beaten 3 of them and given the other the fright of its life. Big tick for mine.

However, for the next two weeks, we’ll be the hunted. We’re $1.50 favourites this week. North are getting absolutely smashed in the media (I’ve already seen “gone backwards under Shaw”, “no leadership”, “trade Brown” etc and it’s only Monday morning). Every footy talk show will come for them this week. Everyone has written them off. They’ll come out breathing fire and they’ve got nothing to lose. Add to this we haven’t beaten them since 2014. The average losing margin is just over 58 points in the 5 game losing streak. They weren’t a finals side when they smashed us in 2017-2019. They’ll absolutely think they can beat us.

For me, this might be our biggest test of the year. Can we quite simply just get the job done against an inferior team that will be looking for a big response? Bring the pressure and intent from the last two weeks and we get the 4 points. Sick of losing to this mob. The good sides can match it with the best but also win against inferior teams. We’re on our way as a club but this game presents a new challenge we haven’t yet faced: performing under the weight of expectation. Massive chance for 4-4 and to keep pace with the 8. Get it done boys.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm 
Robert Walls

All you say is true. However, every week’s a test to see how far we’ve come, simply because everyone bar the Dogs has the wood on us. Hawks? Bogey team. North? Bogey team.

This whole year’s gonna be one big fat hairy test.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We're 8-24 against them since 1995 :yikes:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:12 pm 
John James

6 of those wins were under 3 goals as well. :eek:

Is it true that earlier in the year when clubs had to make cuts to staff, that North sacked their line coaches? I heard they're rolling with no full time or dedicated forward or backline coach at the moment. Not sure if it's true but if so I find that astonishing given Shaw is so inexperienced.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:55 pm 
Bert Deacon

must win simple

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

Like a lot of others, pretty nervous about this game. North will be desperate, but they're struggling with poor form and key players out.

What I don't want to see is a slow start where the opposition gets early goals and regains their confidence. Really, really need to start strongly. Use Ed to lock down on Higgins from the start. And get a defender to zone back into Brown's leading space.

Not sure how 'healthy' Cripps is, but he should enjoy not having Cunnington and Ziebell smashing into him. Pretty happy Zurhaar is missing as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rain looking likely. Wet weather suited us against the Dogs as it hampered their high possession handball game however am not sure about North. Kennedy should keep his spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Brently8 wrote:

Is it true that earlier in the year when clubs had to make cuts to staff, that North sacked their line coaches? I heard they're rolling with no full time or dedicated forward or backline coach at the moment. Not sure if it's true but if so I find that astonishing given Shaw is so inexperienced.

Whateley said today they moved on their back and forwards coaches when CV hit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

I wonder if we will see Ben line up against Harry. Ben did a good job on Lynch on the weekend

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:24 pm 
John James

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Brently8 wrote:

Whateley said today they moved on their back and forwards coaches when CV hit

Cheers mate. Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Interesting write up and highlights package on the CFC website (of the 'reserves')
Likely to be seeing the same emergencies at least

Go Blues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

Just win!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

The "switch on" factor worries me this week.

Lowly side, absolutely bagged all week in the media, come out firing. Meanwhile, playing a lowly side we don't come mentally switched on and fall well behind early.

This is the next step in the journey of maturing as a side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Still not sure about us going in as favourites. We’ll see how we go as the hunted instead of the hunters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Doc's 100th...better not stuff this up.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next