Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 am 
John Nicholls

AGRO wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Moshe aint going nowhere.

The people of spoken.

I saw Moshe over their.

Out wear?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

When you're in the eight and are playing the top team, you have to treat the game as a final.
And the number one rule of finals football is you don't play injured players.
Whether it be Cripps, Murphy or Williamson.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

79Vintage wrote:
When you're in the eight and are playing the top team, you have to treat the game as a final.

Except this isn't a final.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

JSOS and Dow both likely fit. Good luck cracking this team unless there are injuries.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluechampion wrote:
Injury update:
Cripps is sore but expected to play. Russell seemed less bullish about Murphy. It depends how he pulls up. Willo is fine, JSOS is fine.
Dow will play in the match simulation this weekl. Marchbank isn't ready yet. Never a mention of Macreadie.

Fish for Murphy then. HFF, small. Makes sense.
They'd be keen to get JSOS in though. Does that make the forwrdline too tall though?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:02 pm 
John Nicholls

Play JSOS further up the flanks and through the middle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:42 pm 
Bob Chitty

No changes from last week unless someone doesn’t come up. All players in the 22 from Sunday have earned their spot for this week, unless they aren’t fit.

JSOS and Fish a bit stiff but shows we’ve got depth, which is great. They’ll both get their opportunities in the next few weeks as we have a 6 day break from Port to North and then will likely have 4-5 day breaks for the rest of the season.

Winnable game if we show up with intent and pressure for 4 quarters, like last week. Think our key forwards will be hard to stop if our midfield breaks even - they don’t have the key defenders to match our guys up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
79Vintage wrote:

Except this isn't a final.

If you want to play finals, you can't just say we hope to win a final.
You need to understand what it takes to win.
With a young side, games like this one against Port, is where you set the bar high.
I didn't say this match was a final, but needs to be treated as such.
After all we are playing to stay in the top eight.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Another game where we have an opportunity to get respect and show we are ready to take the next step and start winning constantly. Another game where we will be more closely scrutinised by the opposition after last weeks performance. Let’s see if we have learnt anything?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 pm 
Craig Bradley

SurreyBlue wrote:
Another game where we have an opportunity to get respect and show we are ready to take the next step and start winning constantly. Another game where we will be more closely scrutinised by the opposition after last weeks performance. Let’s see if we have learnt anything?

Spot on. Was last week the standard or the exception? That’s the test.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:34 am 
Harry Vallence

A game that will be won in the midfield, both teams have good offence and defence.

Although we are strong in the clearances, PA are the best in the comp and their big bodies mids need to be stopped.

Murph out for JSOS in playing a inside mid role and whilst putting a block on for cripps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Steve_C7 wrote:
A game that will be won in the midfield, both teams have good offence and defence.

Although we are strong in the clearances, PA are the best in the comp and their big bodies mids need to be stopped.

Murph out for JSOS in playing a inside mid role and whilst putting a block on for cripps.

All games are won in the midfield.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:14 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

This game is a bit of a litmus test for the Blues. While the win loss ratio is not notably different for Teague this year versus last year, I think we all agree we seem to be playing better football (at times) this year. I guess this reinforces the old saying it's about process and can't always be measured by wins and losses. I say this is a bit of a litmus test because after such a great performance against the Dogs let's face it a Carlton team is odds on to not back it up. If you were a gambling man you'd be mad to put money on the Blues winning the follow up game especially when it is against arguably the best team in the AFL right now. So do I think we will win? The challenge is there for the players. Win this game and suddenly things start to truly pivot. Lose and nothing has really changed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

One thing I will say is, I think this is the first time in a long l ong time there has been competition for spots and it's hard to break into the side. JSOS should be in the team but he might not find a way in. Similar Fish. This is one of those measures we can use to diagnose that things might be genuinely on the up this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Paddycripps wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

Against the Dogs I thought the midfield battle was pretty even.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Humpers wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

Against the Dogs I thought the midfield battle was pretty even.

We won the hit outs, clearances, centre clearances and stoppage clearances. It wasn't a landslide but statistically we won the midfield battle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:26 pm 
Banned

SurreyBlue wrote:

Exactly, this is the final stage of our development cycle IMO is managing expectations. I think we are going to be inconsistent for the rest of the year by just learning to be winners at any cost but no excuse in 2021.

Think we will finish 6-8th spot - a decent but inconsistent team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

Quite often but not always. Richmond were 18th for clearances, 15th for hitouts and 10th for centre clearances last year and won the flag. Hawthorn won a number of flags starting their attack from defence.
Port won the stoppages against Brisbane and were dismantled. I agree though that you'd rather have dominance than not.
Port are playing very aggressive footy and reaping the rewards but so are we. We're playing quite aggressively but the downside is we've conceded more points this season that any other club than 18th placed Adelaide.

I don't understand the love for Silvagni in the midfield. He did a decent job on Fyffe last year but he hasn't shown any ability to win the ball in the midfield in either the VFL or AFL. We need a bit of zip. Jack is too one-paced like most of our other mids. If Murphy misses, I'd bring in Fisher.
It will be interesting to see who Ed goes to. Boak has been their best mid this year. He's their highest possession winner, most clearances, most inside 50's, most metres gained, virtually double any of their other players for goal assists etc etc etc.
The key is to see who can control Robbie Gray if Boak is locked away by Curnow. I'd expect Wines to go to Cripps.

We have to watch their kick ins. They're very aggressive and will go straight down the middle and they've scored a number of goals from it. Centre bounces they'll quite often try to nullify the contest and get a secondary stoppages. As much as they're the best stoppage team in the AFL, they're 11th for centre clearances. Lycett doesn't have a great leap but if he can body up the opposition ruckman, he's quite good at taking the ball and getting the kick away. They'll also bring players like Byrne-Jones and Powell-Pepper up to the stoppage to block.

As Paddycripps said, the key is to win the contested ball. They're a bit like St Kilda in that they'll back their team mates in to win the contest and run forward of the ball looking for the cheap possession. When you have the ball though, their pressure is very good, they'll happily peel off their opponent and get in your face with pressure and force the turnover. They kick long, use the corridor and back their tall forwards in. Dixon can be lethal or he can be shitful. Jones should get the job as he may be too tall for Weitering IMHO.

I'm really looking forward to to. We'll soon see where we're at. They have a great record at Metricon (4 wins this year) but lost their only game at the GABBA.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:12 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
The key is to see who can control Robbie Gray if Boak is locked away by Curnow. I'd expect Wines to go to Cripps.

Plowman to Robbie Grey for mine - goes better on smalls than talls (Charlie Cameron etc)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

At our stage of development and maturity we are likely to win this game then lose the next one against North...lol. It's probably going to be 2 steps forward, one step back for a short while until we develop further and win consistently. Part of the journey.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next