Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:06 am 
Craig Bradley

Polson is not AFL standard. Not even close. We need players like O’Brien, Dow, Stocker etc to go past him or we will continue making up the numbers. Same goes for Newnes tbh. These sort of players do not get a game in top 8 teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

He must just be a beast during training or something. Anyone who has played for any period of time (regardless the level) would have played in a team where a bit of a shit-truck consistently gets games over more talented players. 99% of the time it's because the coach wants to reward effort and have blokes who he knows will play to his system. In theory it sends a message to the more talented blokes to work harder on the track

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

Again we will be competitive. Get out of the blocks and we're an excellent chance. We can be competitive with any side, as figures below show. Frustratingly, they show we sit 2nd for qtrs won this year (remember Brisbane have played one more game), despite just having the two wins. That's a direct result of poor first qtrs costing us maybe 2 more wins, at least one. Hopefully it's part of the maturing process, and certainly better since Teague took over.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... st=AQ&sb=w

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

One change. Kennedy for Philp.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

No Fisher is surprising. Late change perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:20 pm 
Craig Bradley

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a tall come out for Fish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

Channel 9 news mentioned something about a Carlton player breaking his foot at training on the Gold Coast.
More later in the Sports report !!!
FFS tell us who

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Navy One wrote:
Channel 9 news mentioned something about a Carlton player breaking his foot at training on the Gold Coast.
More later in the Sports report !!!
FFS tell us who

Teague wasn’t it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jim wrote:
One change. Kennedy for Philp.

I’ve been happy with our midfield rotations lately, using guys like Martin, Cuningham, Setterfield in there and in the forward line. Kennedy will be another handy addition to that rotation. I’m very happy with the change, hope this is the week Kennedy lives up to his promise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

Its predicted to piss down Sunday night. Cue and tell me it's raining jokes...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jake_h03 wrote:

HMcK, didn't train, feeling ill apparently... (ch7), so I would expect Fish given the forecast

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

Good on Kennedy for pushing is way into the side as a Mid. I reckon that this could be his time to step up for the rest of the year or he could face the chop at year's end.
Go well Matt not only for you but for the team cos we sure need someone with his grunt and ball winning ability to help us go further as a team.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

billc3 wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

HMcK, didn't train, feeling ill apparently... (ch7), so I would expect Fish given the forecast

Go Blues

Must have Fisher in particularly with the forecast. Harry is the obvious choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

deano35 wrote:
Good on Kennedy for pushing is way into the side as a Mid. I reckon that this could be his time to step up for the rest of the year or he could face the chop at year's end.
Go well Matt not only for you but for the team cos we sure need someone with his grunt and ball winning ability to help us go further as a team.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

If you’re not already a subscriber, Heath Buck’s ‘My Blue Heaven’ is worth a listen to. :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/jP90citu6ck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Good to hear from you Deano
Agree about Kennedy really needs to stand up and you do feel that it may be approaching his last chance
Let’s hope he grabs it looks much fitter and hopefully that will stand him in good stead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

frank dardew wrote:
Good to hear from you Deano
Agree about Kennedy really needs to stand up and you do feel that it may be approaching his last chance
Let’s hope he grabs it looks much fitter and hopefully that will stand him in good stead

He looks leaner if that's what you're getting at.
I am not 100% convinced that taking kilos of Cripps and Kennedy is the best thing to do, given they are crash-through players but time will tell.
If Kennedy s there as a clearance foil for Cripps, who will no doubt have someone hanging off him all night, it is a good move. The Dog's midfield is pretty strong with Bont being the biggest headache.
I'd start Cripps on the wing and Kennedy in the middle just to upset the Dog's first setup and keep rotating Cripps inside/outside and forward.
Kennedy and Silvagni might be our future inside mids with Cripps but I agree that Kennedy has to stand up and be counted.
We recruited him as an inside mid but his best game for us was when he played the third forward.

This game will be won and lost in the first quarter. We can't have Cripps with no output. Kennedy and the others have to separate him from his tag and pick up the slack.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The Dogs usually double team Cripps (Bont/Libba/McRae) at the "around the ground" stoppages and rely on their remaining players to beat ours. They're happy to sacrifice a couple of their better mids because they don't believe we can win the contested ball if Cripps doesn't get it. So the challenge is there for our other mids to step up.
As for body size, Kennedy had to strip the weight. He gets his hands on the ball at the stoppages but his movement is too slow and he's instantly wrapped up so we get little value. This gives him a chance to be quicker on his feet and to give us more spread around the ground. He has very good hands, he's technically a very good kick and handballer, he's strong overhead and he makes good decisions. We just need him to offer more in the midfield other than to neutralise the contest.
I'm glad to see him back. If we can swap Fisher for McKay, I'd fancy our chances.
If it's wet, don't overpossess the ball. Get in in there quickly, get a contest and rely on Eddie, Cuningham, Martin, Murphy and Fisher to capitalise.

The Dogs strength over the past few weeks has been the improvement in Tim English. After copping a touch up in the first couple of games, he's playing a more old style ruck role and dropping back as an extra marking defender. The last 2 weeks he's averaging 22 possessions and 7 marks. Hopefully the conditions will work against that but we'll need our taller forwards to make him earn it if he wants to stand in the hole.
How much of an impact that's had on the opposition scoring is up for debate but interestingly the Bulldogs haven't conceded 40 points in the past 3 games after conceding 88 and 86 in the first 2 games so they're suffocating teams. Especially in the first half where they've conceded 1 goal, 1 goal and 2 goals to half time.

The midfield is again the key. Interestingly the Dogs are getting flogged at the hitouts (More than doubled in both the past couple of games) and yet they're winning the clearances. So they're not relying on English to win the tap but instead they're relying on system and talent to capitalise after the ball leaves the ruckmans hands. Pittonet is averaging far more hitouts and his hitout to advantage stats have been good as well. He also fares better at clearances so it's important that we capitalise on his areas of dominance as English will dominate as a link player.
Personally, I'm hoping for rain. The Bullies are a high handball side so the more they overpossess in the wet, the more it will work for us.
Coaching will play a big role in the outcome of this game. Whoever gets their players to adapt to the conditions and evolving tactics of the opposition will be invaluable in these shortened games.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

very greasy conditions at metricon tonight. surely a tall out for a small.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

Just win!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next