Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

Oh, judge players on their football ability and less on character. The best Carlton sides were far from angels

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm actually broken. I'm like a heroin addict. I know it's only going to lead to pain and misery but I come back for more time and again.

My dad first joined me up as a member in 1985 as a 7 year old. The first half of my life I supported the greatest club in the land. You walked into the club and everything smelt of success. The fact that (probably) this week Kade Simpson becomes the losingest player in the history of the game speaks volumes of what we've become.

The club that won 16 flags is not the club that exists at royal parade these days. Simmo has played 329 games. He's lost 208 of them. But it started before Simmo. Since 2002 we've lost 264 games. That's 264 of our last 400 games not including finals which from memory is 2 wins 4 losses.

I actually think we need to retire all our veterans. Murphy. Simmo. Kreuzer. Replace them with other players late in their careers but from successful organisations. It's like the loser mentality gets passed down from generation to generation. Get them out and away from our kids before the culture is passed onto another generation of losers. Don't underestimate the positive influence that Hodge had on the Brisbane culture.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm with brains. Same age as him. Same first year of membership. Same feeling on senior players. They seize on excuses.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The_Cranium wrote:
I'm actually broken. I'm like a heroin addict. I know it's only going to lead to pain and misery but I come back for more time and again.

My dad first joined me up as a member in 1985 as a 7 year old. The first half of my life I supported the greatest club in the land. You walked into the club and everything smelt of success. The fact that (probably) this week Kade Simpson becomes the losingest player in the history of the game speaks volumes of what we've become.

The club that won 16 flags is not the club that exists at royal parade these days. Simmo has played 329 games. He's lost 208 of them. But it started before Simmo. Since 2002 we've lost 264 games. That's 264 of our last 400 games not including finals which from memory is 2 wins 4 losses.

I actually think we need to retire all our veterans. Murphy. Simmo. Kreuzer. Replace them with other players late in their careers but from successful organisations. It's like the loser mentality gets passed down from generation to generation. Get them out and away from our kids before the culture is passed onto another generation of losers. Don't underestimate the positive influence that Hodge had on the Brisbane culture.

I’m eight years older but I’m good with that.

Haven’t been a fan of our “leadership group” in years.

Mort Sahl

Post subject: Patience wearing thin
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I have been saying for a long time that the club lost its winning culture when it went for draft picks.
It became ok to lose.
Losing meant that you won on draft night.
I also said the word rebuild was an excuse not to win and rebuilding was a waste of time.
Most club let between 6 to 8 players go each year .
Everyone rebuilds but they don't make a big deal about it.
Whilst we were playing kids under the pretense of development we missed out on the best development of them all and that is winning culture.

But I am just a stupid idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about.

But after saying this for years the penny seems to be finally dropping with supporters.

Tanking for draft picks -failure
Rebuild- failure

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:22 am 
Ken Hunter

I agree with you entirely, Syd. I hate the way people on here celebrated no. 1 draft picks. Someone just floated the idea of trading Cripps for a pair of first rounders. It's like we just keep tearing down and rebuilding ad infinitum without ever achieving anything. Enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:12 am 
Bob Chitty

Being recently leap frogged by Saints, Brisbane, Port, and now even GC (and maybe Melb?) ... This is the new lowest of lows. There was a period of time where I thought we were well clear of these clubs ... Reality is we should only hold optimism when we win our next final. Anything short of that is zero indication of success

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:17 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
I have been saying for a long time that the club lost its winning culture when it went for draft picks.
It became ok to lose.
I also said the word rebuild was an excuse not to win and rebuilding was a waste of time.
Whilst we were playing kids under the pretense of development we missed out on the best development of them all and that is winning culture.

But after saying this for years the penny seems to be finally dropping with supporters.

Rebuild- failure

Great summary

Nothing beats player development more than winning games

The Bolton era was such a let down

Continual focus on the future state when collectively the club accepted the huge amount of losses suffered in that period

Just listen to what Murphy has to say. Says the same thing every year without much conviction

I have no doubt losing so often has infiltrated the culture and affected the development of younger players at our club.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:50 am 
Banned

I have rose coloured glasses when it comes to the club - we embraced the rebuild and five year plan this is our best start in five years and beaten two top eight sides and should have smashed Melbourne black and blue.

I think we are on the right track - Ratts was my first choice as senior coach but saw Teague as a more long term 15 year type coach.

I think the game plan is sound and the players fighting till the end shows there is solid resolve to win. Just missing abit of class around the edges - but nothing too serious.

Collingwood went out and got Adams and Treloar while they already had steelbottom and pendelbury

Richmond went out and got Prestia and Caddy while having Cotchin and Martin

Brisbane went out and got Neal, Cameron, McCarthy and Lyons while having Zorko, Christensen, Robbo, Rayner and McCluggage on the list

Can't underestimate adding top end talent to the list and we need to do that this off season and add to the midfield. If its Brad Couch so be it if its Fiorini so be it.. but need to add more quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:11 am 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
It became ok to lose.

Rebuild- failure

Been with you for the ride there. Remember the debates with Synbad regarding these very points.
I’m sure he would have some great excuses but would love to hear his thoughts now!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:29 am 
Rod Ashman

Walsh wrote:
I have rose coloured glasses when it comes to the club - we embraced the rebuild and five year plan this is our best start in five years and beaten two top eight sides and should have smashed Melbourne black and blue.

I think we are on the right track - Ratts was my first choice as senior coach but saw Teague as a more long term 15 year type coach.

I think the game plan is sound and the players fighting till the end shows there is solid resolve to win. Just missing abit of class around the edges - but nothing too serious.

Collingwood went out and got Adams and Treloar while they already had steelbottom and pendelbury

Brisbane went out and got Neal, Cameron, McCarthy and Lyons while having Zorko, Christensen, Robbo, Rayner and McCluggage on the list

Can't underestimate adding top end talent to the list and we need to do that this off season and add to the midfield. If its Brad Couch so be it if its Fiorini so be it.. but need to add more quality.

The game plan is not sound, back across chipping possession footy until the half forward line then go the bomb is slow and telegraphed. We need to ues the middle of the ground play fast footy and give our forwards a chance to beat their opponent. We bank on contested marking and holding in the ball, shit plan. By the time the footy gets down there the opposition have crowded our forward line. New wave of crap but at least we have fast defenders when their runners take the ball :screwy: .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:33 am 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
What was served up on Thursday versus St Kilda was the same old conditional and unacceptable level of performance that we’ve always put up when we should have turned up to play but didn’t.

I wouldn’t have had a problem losing this game if we’d had a fair dinkum four quarter effort and crack.

I’d still be salty and shitty but I’d at least see that we were heading in the right direction.

I believe that but not with unwavering confidence...our coaching panel is pedestrian apart from DT, Amos and Power

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:35 pm 
John James

Walsh wrote:

I agree with this and I think it was one of SOS' major failings. He was too rigid in what he wanted to pay to get some of these guys through the door and we really got nobody of note due to this apart from Martin. There's probably a dozen players he chased and couldn't land and if we had 2 or 3 of them right now we would be in a much stronger position, we'd probably be 4-1.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

We're at a bit of a precipice now. So so so much pain over the last few years with this big hope being sold of a rebuild that will pay off.

We've been asked to be patient by the club way more than any supporters should ever be and yet it feels like we're at a bit of a critical juncture here.

I don't think the list is diabolical by any means but does it have enough quality? Especially considering we're most definitely not the only side that has been rebuilding and adding quality young players.

Do we have enough to beat and be better than the likes of Brisbane, Gold Coast even Port and St Kilda ? Our most likely challengers over the next few years and all sides who have also been rebuilding.

I'm definitely not convinced we do. We don't have to be just a good side, we need to be the best out there and currently those have us beat unfortunately and are quite a bit ahead.

We need to make every post a winner from here. Our senior player recruitment has been absolutely shambolic under SOS might ultimately hold us back.

You also need a bit of luck along the way which we have had none of. A gun father son or a couple of decent academy picks (Hipwood, Andrews at Brisbane immediately come to mind) would have been a nice leg up. But it is what it is. Do we have what it takes from this point on?

Post subject: Patience wearing thin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

When you look at what is happening around other clubs and you start to get a picture of how fragile this generation of players have become.
Richmond apparently has lost it hunger from successes over recent years and players don't want to go to hubs.
Adelaide go on a 4 day training camp and a few awkward things happen and they plummeted from 2nd to last in a couple of years.
Essendon* had a player test positive for covid and the club was in turmoil.
Steele Sidebottom goes on a bender and breaks rules and this looks like it will derail the entire season.
Can you imagine what it's like at a club where for the best part of 8 to 10 years you have had the message winning doesn't matter.
Malthouse said it was not wins and losses.
The Prez said we were rebuilding.
Bolton repeatedly said we weren't to be judged by wins and losses.
Kids played well before they were ready as development came first. Has SPS been that good that he didn't warrant time in 2's .
Players busting their boiler for Northern and not getting a look in because they are not considered to be part of the future.
One little incident can derail a team and we have been drilling this culture for years and the only time in the last 20 years we sort of look like we were trying to win was when Judd carried us over the line.
I don't know how you fix this now until everyone who has played under this culture is gone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:11 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

agree. been saying it forever ... if you don't have a win at all costs mentality right from the top filtering down to the stud cleaner; you will fail.

our culture of a decade plus of excuses has killed our club and my will.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:51 am 
Ken Hands

JUST WIN

This should be our motto. I don’t care how...just flower win. Every week. I want 10-11 wins in a row. Don’t give me bullshit excuses honest losses or that crap. JUST WIN! Everything else is a fail.
Bleed for the club, when was the last time we had players come off bleeding, smashed but kept going....Adrian Hickmont would bleed every week.

Week bastards, be ruthless, simmo should have put that Stkilda player in hospital last week. Make them think twice when playing against us, be afraid...we are soft cocks...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:20 am 
John Nicholls

Too many players shirked the issue against the 'aints. Just didn't want to be first to the ball and take the hit. Happened across all lines.

Did not happen against Cats or * ... different result.

When we show up to play and are well structured we actually go alright. We are lacking some A-graders, sure, this is a failing of the past several years (some of which is our fault, some of which is not) but we aren't *that* bad.

My concern is still relying upon Murphy, E Curnow, Simpson and Betts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Getting a flogging in the midfield was our issue. We were beaten at the centre clearances (13-8) which assisted 18 marks inside 50 compared to our 10.
I don't agree about players shirking it. St Kilda are top shelf at Marvel and their recent solid wins against Richmond and Bulldogs display that. The wheels haven't fallen off yet IMHO. We're 2-3 and I'm expecting some good wins ahead. We've beaten Geelong in Geelong and Essendon* which were quality wins. As Mickstar mentioned elsewhere, players like Cuningham have to step up with some consistency or our midfield wont cut it. Cuners can play electrifying footy but his consistency is piss poor and always has been. Pittonet was very good for a few weeks and he hit a road block on Saturday but I'm expecting him to stand up again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:43 am 
Bruce Doull

I am trying to convince myself that maybe we are just showing classic signs of a team that is turning the corner but is not there yet.

Capable of greatness one week (Cats), brushed aside 2 weeks later (Saints). Fading in and out of games. Building leads but not able to keep the foot on the throat the whole game. Young players who will be good but showing second year blues (Walsh).

That's the narrative I'm clinging to...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next