Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

MIL wrote:
keogh wrote:
The McGovern trade could be one of the worst ever
So crap
I really want Teague to play everyone on the list
This is the year to do it

He played ok last week. 2 in a row was too much to expect. Our problem is the Dows and the LOBs.....high draft picks stagnating.

His second half last week was shit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

17th Premiership wrote:
What was up with all the bumping instead of tackling???
It worked once when Martin bumped the ball free but it looked like it was intentional b/c it happened so often.
What up with that?

I meant to bring this up in the game thread, it was driving me spare. It worked for Martin because he went through the opponent, but others were doing it in a more defensive motion, like they were trying to bounce off and not get hurt. Just unforgiveably soft footy I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

MIL wrote:
keogh wrote:
So crap

He played ok last week. 2 in a row was too much to expect. Our problem is the Dows and the LOBs.....high draft picks stagnating.

particularly when the focus was supposedly on HTB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

muzza wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Why was the game moved from the MCG?

Something to do with dew and a crappy football spectacle.......who new that it was an outdoor sport after all!!

The fact that it was our home game there meant absolutely nothing.

Joke.

Or do 'home games' mean nothing in this Covid-19 season?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:35 pm 
Ken Hands

bluedog wrote:
muzza wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Why was the game moved from the MCG?

Something to do with dew and a crappy football spectacle.......who new that it was an outdoor sport after all!!

The fact that it was our home game there meant absolutely nothing.

Joke.

Or do 'home games' mean nothing in this Covid-19 season?

Did you see Ratts reaction on the presser. They know they got a good deal from the Gil the Dil, this game should have been at the G. Was there something on at the G tonight? A concert maybe? Cricket? What?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

dane wrote:
5 days is a long time on TC.

Post of the thread so far.
We played pretty badly and came out slowly again. Worst of all was that Levi went OOB and Philp missed a sitter early and just like that w were down four or five.
The umpiring was shit but not biased IMO. They should have paid a lot more HTB and as usual there was the bevy of soft 50s against us but the worst thing for me is the way they just can't measure out 15 metres in their tiny brains. If they force players to kick the footy 15 metres, both sides will find it harder to zone off. These dinky 8 metre marks slow the game down and inflate the stats, not to mention allowing a team (tonight it was StK) to control the footy. We had our share of them, including the 9 metre pass from Cripps to Martin towards the end.

People crucifying Jones for making a couple of bad turnovers are short sighted. He often opens up the field like that and tonight he missed two. It was left to him because Doc was tagged out of the game. Murphy giving away two stupid fifties was worse.
People crucifying Plow don't see the good things he does. Tonight he had his obligatory free against for holding but it was obvious as usual that both players were holding each other.
Willo slipped over a couple of times and went on his right foot twice. Drop him for that as well.

The midfield was beaten. Pitonett was beaten. OK. He got beaten. Steele held Cripps all night. At one stage he had his back to the stoppage and was holding him off the contest but the umpire was bouncing the ball and couldn't see. Not his fault. There are two other umpires out there, though and one or both of them should be tasked to look for illegal holding against Cripps, Selwood, Danger, Fyfe and so on. Tagging is fine but why are the umpires busily looking along the line to make sure nobody puts a toe over it before the ball is bounced? Cripps has lost his main weapon as well. He needs to put back those few kilos he lost. Ed is a warrior and one of the best run with players in the comp. He is always going to give away a free or two and when he racks up a few possies, its a bonus. Setterfield is starting to find his feet, Cunningham the same. I have said it here before but unless a player gets the Brownlow votes, TC want him dropped the following week.

For me, the big issue is the forward structure and the way we go inside 50. It starts when the ball is down the other end. We ask our forwards to go into the defensive half of the ground and then try and get back if there is a turnover. Tonight, that resulted in allowing the StK backs to form a line of three along our F50 behind our closest forward. So what? It means they get there faster and also that they are all able to follow the play across the field with no opponent. It's madness. If we put Harry in the goalsquare and tell him to stay there, straight away, he has someone manning him up and another defender in the hole in front of him. If he never gets a kick it doesn't matter. He didn't get one tonight anyway. The secret of having three tall forwards was revealed in Geelong. It hasn't changed since footy was invented. They lead to different parts of the ground and make the backs accountable. Not like tonight where they just got in each other's way. You only had to look at StK. King playing deep made Weitering stay on him and when he led, Weitering was behind him. Just like we did against Geelong.

OK we lost but the list is the same list that won last week and the week before and almost the week before that. Bondi likes the list and I think it's almost there. It's the mindset of the players. People on here say it all the time.

"They have to come to play."

It's as simple as that. If we turn up to beat Geelong or Essendon* or Collingwood once a year it isn't enough. The good teams come to play every week and that's the Teague problem. Once he gets that sorted, the wins will come. And when they do, Dane's TC pendulum will swing back the other way.

Martin played a gutsy game.

I would drop Harry for next week. He isn't interested or if he is, he doesn't show it. Bring in TDK or Kennedy.
Philp isn't ready. He's had a taste, now drop him and tell him where he has to get better. He is supposed to be quick. He is supposed to be hard at it. I haven't seen either of those qualities in him so far. When he kicked his first goal for the club, nobody got around him, just a few who were nearby and that was half-hearted. That might be because he torched three sitters first.
The rest stay.
No idea who we play next week or where but Teague has his work cut out. We were percentage off top 6 yesterday and a win would have put us on the fringe of the 8. A win was super important but it wasn't enough motivation to turn up early.

Last edited by Blue Sombrero on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

Out worked

Out umpired

Out coached

Such a meek performance, just allowed ourselves to be bullied

I'm sick of the inconsistent performances and effort levels.

I'm sick of being disrespected by umpires and the opposition.

Why do we sit back and just take it?

Why are we never aggressive?

How do we do so much dumb and ill disciplined shit during games still as well?

and @#$%&! that commentary team, possibly the worst combination of people ever.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

I thought Martin was our best.
Liked Philp's game.
Setterfield and Cuningham showed a bit in midfield.
Cripps and Jones after half time.

Cons:

Another limp start.
Defensive turnovers killed us.
Not going to win many games when our talls get smashed like that.
Looked a little slow compared to the opposition.
Opposition coaches box seemed better prepared. Won all the important match ups.
I like Williamson, but he had a stinker. Kept falling over.
Weiters and Docherty pretty poor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 am 
Craig Bradley

grrofunger wrote:

Ironically, everytime we made contact with the opposition they seemed to get a free or 'downfield' or 50. Whereas Saints seemed to be doing a lot of blocking and pushing and holding in the marking contests.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MIL wrote:
keogh wrote:
So crap

Dow is injured, in his defense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

At the end of the day we are flowered if nobody stands up when Cripps is beaten.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:05 am 
Bruce Doull

Stefchook wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Ironically, everytime we made contact with the opposition they seemed to get a free or 'downfield' or 50. Whereas Saints seemed to be doing a lot of blocking and pushing and holding in the marking contests.

Cos it is so rare and unfamiliar, when we think we might have a go at being aggressive we are stupid with it..... falls under the dumbs things category i mentioned.

We can be aggressive without giving away stupid frees. (well, it would be nice if we could learn to be anyway)

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:21 am 
Harry Vallence

MIL wrote:
keogh wrote:
So crap

Yup add stocker although not as high a draft selection but considering the strength of draft pool has shown zilch, stagnating and deflating the 3 youngsters should be contributing some enthusiasm and vitality at least

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:26 am 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
MIL wrote:
keogh wrote:
So crap

Dow is injured, in his defense.

Agree and I hope they’ll turn it around a little in a very difficult year no doubt.
notwithstandingDow, LOB and stocker have all been underwhelming.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:00 am 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Pisses me off that we decide to be a committed football side only when we feel like it. Winning in Geelong showed we can play. I want that committment week in, week out, not at our choosing. Our issue is above the shoulders, essentially mentally attitude. Bring that consistently and the rest looks after itself.

It’s not that, footy is all about momentum and being able to be good for longer than the other team.

We just aren’t good enough to outplay sides long enough, which is why we aren’t that good yet.

Should show some of the guys they still have a long way to go.

Essentially I think we were just beaten by a better side.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:56 am 
Banned

Ratts outcoached us.

The way he can drill his teams to spread from congestion and run hard like maniacs is good to watch. He has always coached the right way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:58 am 
Craig Bradley

If anything the last 16 games has shown we can match it with anyone. So I don't expect them to dish up the crap they dished up last night anymore. Sick of the poor attitude and lack of "want". Don't worry too much about individuals, bring the correct attitude and the rest will look after itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

They are to skinny. To many players with not enough meat on the bones.
They can run games out but they get rag dolled to much when the heat is on.
You see some of them shirk contests which I don't blame them because they would get smashed.
Doc playing light
Cripps playing light
Simpson SPS Plowman Philp Walsh Murphy Cunningham Gibbons and even Martin and Betts all to light

Shortened version of the game is killing them

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am 
Ken Hunter

Umpires were awful early on. Agree with the comment about whenever we try and show some aggro the whistle blows quick smart.

Can we please please please get someone to work on player goal kicking?
Again, if we'd kicked straighter things might be different and this team really needs the confidence boost from kicking set shots.

Also agree with player size, everyone looks REALLY skinny, and I know that not being able to train properly during lockdown wouldn't help but every other club looks way bigger. I have to say I do wonder how we'd be going with normal length games though.

And AFL screwed us with the day and location change too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:01 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Haven’t watched the game and probably won’t bother now but I wonder if some of the boys had to move house yesterday...?
Might explain a few things. Getting organised for a move interstate might have been a distraction as well...?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next