Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

Thanks for that SurreyBlue. That’s sounds very upbeat :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
Casboult and Jones had shockers. Casboult missed goal in the 1st was a killer.

I admire the optimism in your post Surrey but Jones having a shocker? You probably should watch again.
He was one of 2 Carlton players to get coaches votes and he took St Kilda best forward out of the game (Membrey)

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/73873 ... 21MnDHvnuE

Quote:
Up against the dangerous Tim Membrey, Jones kept his direct opponent to just one goal while taking 11 marks.
Of those 11, seven were recorded as intercept marks — the most of anyone in a single game this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I admire the optimism in your post Surrey but Jones having a shocker? You probably should watch again.
He was one of 2 Carlton players to get coaches votes and he took St Kilda best forward out of the game (Membrey)

Quote:
Up against the dangerous Tim Membrey, Jones kept his direct opponent to just one goal while taking 11 marks.
Of those 11, seven were recorded as intercept marks — the most of anyone in a single game this season.

I thought Jones was very good unfortunately the turnover was a howler, then again he wasn't on his own. SPS's turnover crushed the little momentum we had.

Agree with most SB, good reflection.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Blue4ever wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Quote:

I thought Jones was very good unfortunately the turnover was a howler, then again he wasn't on his own. SPS's turnover crushed the little momentum we had.

Agree with most SB, good reflection.

Jones received 2 coaches votes along with Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Quote:

I did notice the coaches vote and was quite surprised. I thought he made some terrible errors in the first 2 and a half quarters, in particular when punching the ball but he definitely fought back afterwards. I admit he’s man was quite but I felt that Membrey played a decoy role in allowing King more space and focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Quote:

I did notice the coaches vote and was quite surprised. I thought he made some terrible errors in the first 2 and a half quarters, in particular when punching the ball but he definitely fought back afterwards. I admit he’s man was quite but I felt that Membrey played a decoy role in allowing King more space and focus.
Jones took more intercept marks than any player in the comp has this year.
Made a couple of errors but sure made up for it.

Casboult looks like he may have gone from 1 good 4 bad to 3 good 2 bad.

He has been good since the break but was ordinary against saints.
Wasn't alone though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
I've re-watched the game with a calmer. cooler head and here are some thoughts.

We weren't as bad as I thought. :oops: Some players had shockers but mostly I want to apologise to Docherty - not that he would care what I think.:) I was really harsh on him. Was again one of our better players and certainly didn't lower his colors.
Martin is a revelation and will be great to watch over the next 5-10 years. Seriously classy and hopefully he keeps it up.
Setterfield and Williamson are both building. They will have break out games soon. Some posters very, very harsh on Plowman. I think he is great.
Having said that my thoughts haven't changed on McGovern or Ed Curnow. Newnes isn't adding much unfortunately, needs to go.
Cripps - just play the ball. Ignore everything going on around you and hopefully the umpires will start to pay those frees for you. Just play the ball - you're that good when you do and can't be stopped!!! Please get your kicking for goal right. Again missed a crucial in the 3rd.
Our midfield rotations where better then I thought. Setterfield, Cuningham and Martin in particular in the center bounces were great to watch.
Our backline with SpS and Simmo was monstered by the Aints players. They have some serious size on them compared to us. This is an issue that needs addressing. I feel if we can get Marchbank up and running that will allow Plowy and Willy to play on the smaller/mid size mids and alleviate the size difference.

If we had kicked that goal late in the 3rd quarter when we had all the play, instead of them getting an easy one against the flow, this game would have ended differently and they will not beat us next time - as long as we come to play. It's obvious during the game we lose concentration and structure and the opposition punish us too easily. Must fix. Also, terrible start in the 4th quarter by us, which was disappointing and the umpiring, especially for some reason when the game was up for grabs late in the 3rd - horrendous against us.

Anyway worth watching the game again with a cooler head. We aren't that far off.

I agree with most of this.
However, I thought Jones had a great game bar one pretty costly miss kick.
But I don't think Willow is up to the level either, maybe it's time to bring Stocker in and see what he can do.
I can't wait for Marchbank to get back into the side.
I would also like to see SPS in the forward line and Gibbo, Setterfield and Martin in the middle more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
I've re-watched the game with a calmer. cooler head and here are some thoughts.

We weren't as bad as I thought. :oops: Some players had shockers but mostly I want to apologise to Docherty - not that he would care what I think.:) I was really harsh on him. Was again one of our better players and certainly didn't lower his colors.
Martin is a revelation and will be great to watch over the next 5-10 years. Seriously classy and hopefully he keeps it up.
Setterfield and Williamson are both building. They will have break out games soon. Some posters very, very harsh on Plowman. I think he is great.
Having said that my thoughts haven't changed on McGovern or Ed Curnow. Newnes isn't adding much unfortunately, needs to go.
Cripps - just play the ball. Ignore everything going on around you and hopefully the umpires will start to pay those frees for you. Just play the ball - you're that good when you do and can't be stopped!!! Please get your kicking for goal right. Again missed a crucial in the 3rd.
Our midfield rotations where better then I thought. Setterfield, Cuningham and Martin in particular in the center bounces were great to watch.
Our backline with SpS and Simmo was monstered by the Aints players. They have some serious size on them compared to us. This is an issue that needs addressing. I feel if we can get Marchbank up and running that will allow Plowy and Willy to play on the smaller/mid size mids and alleviate the size difference.

If we had kicked that goal late in the 3rd quarter when we had all the play, instead of them getting an easy one against the flow, this game would have ended differently and they will not beat us next time - as long as we come to play. It's obvious during the game we lose concentration and structure and the opposition punish us too easily. Must fix. Also, terrible start in the 4th quarter by us, which was disappointing and the umpiring, especially for some reason when the game was up for grabs late in the 3rd - horrendous against us.

Anyway worth watching the game again with a cooler head. We aren't that far off.

I agree with most of this.
However, I thought Jones had a great game bar one pretty costly miss kick.
But I don't think Willow is up to the level either, maybe it's time to bring Stocker in and see what he can do.
I can't wait for Marchbank to get back into the side.
I would also like to see SPS in the forward line and Gibbo, Setterfield and Martin in the middle more.
Agree, but Jones had two shocking kicks.....
I think he had a good game anyway... Cut out his player...

He got votes (depending on the coach) because:

A) he had a good game, sit down Membrey, and he's instructed to switch and back in his kicks

Or

B) He killed Membrey, but gave him two goals in effect with those kicks...

I'd say it was A...

I thought Setters had a good game too.. (improving!)

I think our biggest issue is our ability to read what's happening, quickly...
Simple changes...
Saints score fast, Levi could have been loose in defence (or better, bodying King leaving Weiters loose)...
Could have happened half way through the first...
Crowds their forward line, gives us the fast slingshot advantage....

Anyway, regardless.... We should be able to shut down scoring rather than being 5 behind

Go Blues

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9