Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'm glad we played there with no crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

From the CFC website.

The brick wall

They’ve been the ever presents in Carlton’s back-line over the last two and a half seasons, and Jacob Weitering and Liam Jones seem to be getting better by the week.

Between the two of them, Carlton’s defensive duo faced 13 one-on-one contests, winning or breaking even in 13 of them.

Fair stats.

Lock that back 6 down now Williamson is back with Dr and let it thrive.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:18 pm 
John James

First away team to lead from start to finish down there since 2003.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

I just finished watching the replay. This time without my nerves being shot in the last 10 minutes.
So many pleasing things from the game.
When I watched the game live I was so impressed with their composure, great marking and accurate field kicking. So clean, very little fumbling.
By watching the replay I noticed how many goals Carlton kicked in ‘red-time’ in the first three quarters.
They used to cough up so many goals in ‘red-time’. :donk:

Go Blues! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Pittonet was absolutely immense. He rucked with only minimal breaks and whilst he faded like the rest I though both his pure ruckwork and physical presence were excellent.

I actually thought he was BOG for us, or perhaps most valuable player is more accurate. He really set us up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:08 pm 
Bruce Comben

Evening all, hope everyone has recovered from last night's scare.

We've put together our review of the win, which can be found:

Podbean: https://bit.ly/3dkqUfL
RadioPublic: https://bit.ly/37S0nVR
Apple: https://apple.co/3hQpQDC
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2V5dCNJ

Have a listen if you're so inclined!

Regards,

Listen now on: Apple Podcasts | PodBean | Spotify | Google

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:31 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Cazzesman wrote:
From the CFC website.

The brick wall

They’ve been the ever presents in Carlton’s back-line over the last two and a half seasons, and Jacob Weitering and Liam Jones seem to be getting better by the week.

Between the two of them, Carlton’s defensive duo faced 13 one-on-one contests, winning or breaking even in 13 of them.

Fair stats.

Regards Cazzesman

Yep.
Weitering just looks like a Jedi knight down back these days.
Jones is always going to back himself. Sometimes he is going to make howling mistakes but they are getting fewer and his attack on the footy when he leaves his opponent behind usually results in the ball not going over the back.
He does take far too many chest marks though.
Willo mad a few mistakes off the boot the other night but after a long break, he seemed to slot in nicely. He was a great pickup at 61.
Doc is Doc and looks like he never went away. Apart from the one kick that went OOF, he hit everything.

Simmo will go soon enough and will be hard to replace.
SPS looks out of place.

Those two positions are up for grabs in the near future IMO. I assume Marchbank will fill one. The other one is up for grabs. Our backline stocks look pretty good overall.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 am 
John Nicholls

SPS will be OK as a sweeper off half back. His first go at it was the Gold Coast game at Marvel last year... needs a bit of time and importantly needs to watch closely how Simmo plays the role.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:29 am 
Craig Bradley

I’d still love to see SPS get more midfield time soon. That game against the dogs last year when he had 38 touches or something gave me a taste that I can’t forget. He was everywhere.You want the ball in his hands as much as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:34 am 
Geoff Southby

Good win, although personally I would've liked the boys to put the foot down in the last quarter and practiced some gut running and locked in that win at all costs mentality like the top teams have. Either way, it should be a good morale boost for the club, as long as they can back it up.
I'm happy to say, I stand corrected on everywhere Eddie. He is what the forward line needs and the back line seems to be a lot more structured too with Doc back on the ground also.
Willo and Silvagni were good additions to the team, but I hope after this game they both stop just blasting away their kicks like we usually do. It was especially obvious with how many targets were being hit by the rest of the team.
Setterfield is going to be good, his in and under work is starting to show. With a bit more strength he'll be a beast like Cripps.
And having Martin and Gibbons in the middle/wing is exactly what the engine room needs and is probably what the biggest change to the team was this week.
Pittonet is a gun pick up and I can't wait to see him and Kreuzer sharing the ruck load this year.
You have to give some credit to the Gov also, he played a good role. Let's hope he builds on it.
SPS needs to be moved to half forward, he'll learn a lot from Eddie.
McKay needs to work out if he want's to play AFL professionally. He could be an absolute super star, he just needs to get his head in the game.
Lucky we had Levi up there, he has definitely put the breaks on his critics.
And finally, how much of a gun is Weiters becoming? He'll be our more athletic Alex Rance, shutting down the guns every game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crippa wrote:
dablues wrote:
Without Eddie we would have lost by 4-5 goals.
I hope Cunningham is watching and learning.

Without Plow we would have won by 4-5 goals :garthp:
He seriously gave away at least 3.

Doesn't matter. He's the best we've got.
His good is good. Just needs to tighten up one on one, and start to use those legs and become offensive when we have the ball.
He did that on Saturday once, and I was rapt. Unfortnately, his kick was to a 2 on 1 and on the rebound the ball ended with his opponent, Rohan.
Marchbank is a great mark and similar to Plow with running ability and he will put pressure on Plows spot if they don't play Marchy on the wing as a link up.

I’m often critical of Murph but it was good to see him play well last night. Still zero tackles and only 11 posies but every one of them was high quality damaging ball use. Great to see.

He did lay a good tackle and attempted a couple; that's a start. His sublime skills are needed on the outside to link and hit up leads.

Our kick ins have also improved. No crap short kicks into the pocket anymore :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
From the CFC website.

The brick wall

Fair stats.

Regards Cazzesman

Dynamic duo were the best defensive KP's last year till Jones got head injury.
Great numbers on the weekend. Other than Juones' first quarter vs Tigers, they haven't missed a beat.

The return of Willo and Doc is huge.

There's no pressure on for Simmo's and Plow's spots, if that's why you suggest to lock them in. SPS was very loose and lost concentration on Saturday.
His first quarter v Melb and his last quarter v Geelong were not good...imo
There's always room for improvement and with Simmo we have to plan forward, hopefully not this year.
I'm not sure if SPS is the right candidate for a HBF yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
SPS will be OK as a sweeper off half back. His first go at it was the Gold Coast game at Marvel last year... needs a bit of time and importantly needs to watch closely how Simmo plays the role.

Fair enough, and agree he needs to learn more about that role.
No better teacher than Simmo I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Good win, although personally I would've liked the boys to put the foot down in the last quarter and practiced some gut running and locked in that win at all costs mentality like the top teams have. Either way, it should be a good morale boost for the club, as long as they can back it up.
I'm happy to say, I stand corrected on everywhere Eddie. He is what the forward line needs and the back line seems to be a lot more structured too with Doc back on the ground also.
Willo and Silvagni were good additions to the team, but I hope after this game they both stop just blasting away their kicks like we usually do. It was especially obvious with how many targets were being hit by the rest of the team.
Setterfield is going to be good, his in and under work is starting to show. With a bit more strength he'll be a beast like Cripps.
And having Martin and Gibbons in the middle/wing is exactly what the engine room needs and is probably what the biggest change to the team was this week.
Pittonet is a gun pick up and I can't wait to see him and Kreuzer sharing the ruck load this year.
You have to give some credit to the Gov also, he played a good role. Let's hope he builds on it.
McKay needs to work out if he want's to play AFL professionally. He could be an absolute super star, he just needs to get his head in the game.
And finally, how much of a gun is Weiters becoming? He'll be our more athletic Alex Rance, shutting down the guns every game.

Agree with most of your post.

Good luck to Kreuzer taking the ruck from Pitto if he keeps playing like he is....and I'm expecting Pitto to get better.

Cripps was already strong and impressive as a mid at Setterfield's age. I agree Setters needs to get a bit stronger.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

No analysis from me...........too exhausted.Was draining watching that last quarter.But a big thanks too all at the club.The faith is there in the supporters,time to deliver and i reckon thats a good start................only comment i would like to make is we MUST introduce more younger players into the team to continue that regeneration of the club............

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I still believe we are not that far off.

Marchbank, Curnow, Fish and Dow to push for spots in the 22.

How did Stocker, LOB, Philp and Honey go on the weekend? They are next in line.

Is there room for Wines and Papley types?

Reduced lists next year.....kids get another preseason.

Harry McKay just has to hold his marks and sort out his goal kicking and Gov to get a bit more involved, and we are going to be hard to control if we win the midfield battle.

We are not far off

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sidefx wrote:
Good win, although personally I would've liked the boys to put the foot down in the last quarter and practiced some gut running and locked in that win at all costs mentality like the top teams have..

'If' Harry or SoS had nailed either of their goals, that would have shut down Geelong, especially Harry's shot earlier in the quarter. It was also a horrible kick.

I think the boys will learn what they need to do, as it's not too many times of late we have defended leads in the last quarters. Usually we are making the play. :grin:

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

I just want to add ..... JACK MARTIN!!!!
Thank you SoS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Good win, although personally I would've liked the boys to put the foot down in the last quarter and practiced some gut running and locked in that win at all costs mentality like the top teams have..

'If' Harry or SoS had nailed either of their goals, that would have shut down Geelong, especially Harry's shot earlier in the quarter. It was also a horrible kick.

I think the boys will learn what they need to do, as it's too many times of late we have defended leads in the last quarters. Usually we are making the play. :grin:

It's moments like those that can change the momentum.
Other than just coming out in the last quarter and finishing them off, a good last quarter to see the maturity of the team would've been, Geelong putting the pressure on for the first half, then the boys changing that momentum and driving the nail in for the last half. Up by 3-5 goals at the final siren.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Agree with most of your post.

Good luck to Kreuzer taking the ruck from Pitto if he keeps playing like he is....and I'm expecting Pitto to get better.

Cripps was already strong and impressive as a mid at Setterfield's age. I agree Setters needs to get a bit stronger.

Other than body types, I think the main difference is Cripps had his year off in the juniors where he bulked up and Setterfield is trying to do it in the seniors which is a lot harder given the running loads. Either way, the potential is definitely there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next