Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
We need 2 smaller defenders this week. Willo to replace Newman and perhaps Setterfield to replace SPS in defence.
I'd push SPS to half forward and leave out Lang for Silvagni. SPS either doesn't have the intensity or defensive craft required to play defence IMO. Too often he lets his opponent get goal side and his effort to chase are below standard.
I'm tempted to give Harry the arse as I think we're too tall with Harry, Levi, McGovern and JSOS up forward but I can't see it happening.

Plowman Jones, Simpson
Williamson Weitering Docherty
Newnes Cripps Walsh
Gibbo Levi Martin
Eddie JSOS McGovern
Pittonet Ed Murphy

Setterfield (7th defender), Cuningham, SPS, Harry

I'm guessing Setterfield as the 7th Defender starts on the field on a wing or HF but plays defensive wing?
He did alright at HBF a couple of games last year. Good idea.

Newnes has had 20 possessions in 2 rounds of footy. He's not an accumulator, but I expect the MC to go with him.
Maybe he's been playing the 7th defender? I cant tell on the screen. He didn't make his presence felt against Dees imo.

Tell me, what do you think Murphy will be like inside the coal face of the midfield vs Selwood Danger Menegola/ Duncan?
Do you think he will lay a tackle? Put some physical pressure on them? Get his own ball? What do you expect from him in the midfield. Curious/

I think Murphy and the team did better when he went to the wing. He only came in to the middle for a chop out on a few occasions in the 2nd half and took Brayshaw, although there was one time he had Petracca again. Thankfully Petracca was spent by thern.

I want to see Jack Silvagni in the middle with Cripps to use their weight and fight to win the ball whilst Ed hard tags Selwood.
Hopefully Murphy and Walsh can race in from the wings to create the outside connection.

I understand your position on Harry. He doesn't look to be in form, but you've dropped our most in form KPF Levi ???

I think the reason Ptto is selected is to have the luxury of Levi as our 'in form' target up forward. IMO Levi should play closer to goals and Harry should play further up the ground as a lead up player. He did OK leading up on the rare occasions he did. Might be a fitness thing.

We have to go to Kardinia with an aggressive winning mentality, and hopefully the MC gets their positioning right this time from the outset.

We usually start a 7th defender on the bench and he comes on when one of our running backs rotates. Setterfield can fill that role.
I'm not sure what you mean that I've dropped Levi. He's at CHF in my team and is probably our most important forward.
Murphy had 24 disposals, 4 clearances, nearly 500 metres gained and 5 score involvements. Yes his lack of physicality is frustrating but he'd still one of our better midfielders until someone else comes along and takes his spot.

As for Newnes, he went back and filled Newmans role. Just because he didn't win a lot of ball doesn't mean he wasn't a solid contributor. He's one of the rare players that can play a number of roles well for us.
I'm a fan of Jack Silvagni but he isn't a ball winner in the middle. When he's played there in the VFL he's reactive and struggles the read the ball off the ruckman. He's a tagger at best in the middle. With him and Cripps in the middle, we'd be too slow IMO.
As I said elsewhere, I'd give Newnes and Martin more time in the midfield rotation. Both have a go and both have leg speed.

But if he doesn't tackle then he is partly if not largely responsible for the early blow outs and this is against Geel so you can magnify it by x10. Geelong midfielders will steamroll and rag doll Murphy. It'll be a massacre.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:19 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'd put Newnes and Silvagni in the midfield and take Murphy out. Use Marc for his run on the outside. I would give SPS an ultimatum. He was poor on the weekend. Weak efforts in the D goalsquare falling over too easily and lacking awareness and intensity on many other occassions. I refuse to believe he lacks peripheral awareness . He needs to wake up and show more intensity generally.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
I'd put Newnes and Silvagni in the midfield and take Murphy out. Use Marc for his run on the outside. I would give SPS an ultimatum. He was poor on the weekend. Weak efforts in the D goalsquare falling over too easily and lacking awareness and intensity on many other occassions. I refuse to believe he lacks peripheral awareness . He needs to wake up and show more intensity generally.

I agree about Newnes. When I classify Murphy as a midfielder, I'm not talking about a centre square player. He can run on the wing or as a high half forward.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:48 am 
formerly BlueRob

From what I have read O'Brien, Philp and Honey seem to be in form. As much as I like Setterfield and Cunningham ... we need to see what Philp and Honey offer. Newnes seems to be a long way off. We are gunna get thumped anyway so 'what the hell'.

In: Silvagni, Williamson, O'Brien, Philp, Honey

Out: Newman, Lang, Newnes, Setterfield, Cunningham

I think the match committee will just go with Silvagni and Williamson in for Newman and Lang. They have shown themselves not to be bold with selections.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BigBlueWave wrote:
From what I have read O'Brien, Philp and Honey seem to be in form. As much as I like Setterfield and Cunningham ... we need to see what Philp and Honey offer. Newnes seems to be a long way off. We are gunna get thumped anyway so 'what the hell'.

I think the match committee will just go with Silvagni and Williamson in for Newman and Lang. They have shown themselves not to be bold with selections.

I'd persist with Cunningham, like the rest of what you propose though

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigBlueWave wrote:

Soj and Willo for Newman and Lang IS being bold for the MC.
It will probably just be Willo for Newman.

Depends on who is available too (we probably don't know what Soj is up to anyway)

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Have we got the youth to knock off Cats?

Can't consider injured certain starters: Marchbank, C.Curnow, Fisher, Dow, Kemp

B: Williamson Jones Plowman

HB: Docherty Weitering Setterfield

C: Philp Cripps Walsh

R: Pittenet Silvagni Stocker

HF: Martin McKay SPS

F: Cuningham TDK McGovern

I: Honey Kennedy OBrien Gibbons

E: Casboult Simpson Murphy E.Curnow

may be able to swap the I for the E if needed.

I reckon Levi could be handy given TDK has been out injured.
Murphy experience at HF-wing might be handy.
Ed would be good if we want to tag
Simmo looks like a kid with his undeveloped body. He's heart n soul and ever reliable 7th defender

Plenty of room for JSOS, Williamson Philp, Stocker this week

Great thing about this list is the 5 injured would be automatics in the best 22.
Plus we have whoever we trade in with our First Rounder and FA, maybe a B+ trade in for our round 2 and 3 picks.

We are not that far off.

Last edited by bondiblue on Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Ditto

Cuningham seesm to be running well and his hands are good, let alone kicking for goal.
We need to give him a block of games to see what he is capable of.
I think his pace is something we are desperat for.
Team needs to find some synergy and a bit of white line fever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:21 pm 
Garry Crane

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Anyone calling for Doc's axing needs to give their head a wobble.

Yep. It's absolute nonsense. The same as calls for Murphy to be dropped. Yes he frustrates with his lack of physical presence but he was in our better half dozen.
Same with Newnes. He went back to stabilise the defence when Newman went off and SPS was getting his pants pulled down. Sometimes its like people are throwing darts at a board.
Yes we had another horrible start but we've shown we can play very good footy. We just need more of it.
It was our poor conversion that killed us in the end. We had plenty of opportunities to win the game and we blew it. Some games accuracy wins you games (Bulldogs game last year) and sometimes you blow it. Unfortunately we shot ourselves in the foot.
Crap we were run over in the first 40 minutes and were lucky it was Melbourne otherwise it would have been a 100 point flogging.
Every year it's the same crapola dished up something has to change.

I will give you 2 players that some up Carlton.
Gibbs and Robinson.
Robbo was undisciplined turned it over ,brain dead gave away to many frees and went out on the piss. He had to go was a cancer on the club. He is now a B&F winner and a big part of Brissie.
Gibbs we all thought he was a gun .2 first round draft picks polite skilled perfect footballer. Can't get a game in the one side that is probably worse than us.
We breathed a sigh of relief when Robbo left but shed a tear for Gibbs.
Robbo has a go
Gibbs coasts and he learnt that at Carlton.

Cripps Murphy Doc and Simmo stood by and let a shit side like Melbourne get 7 goals up.
They coast like Gibbs used to and only go when the going is easy.

Would we welcome Gibbs back in a heart beat.
Crows can see it we can't

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not all of shed a tear with the move of Gibbo defin did with Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Ditto

Cuningham seesm to be running well and his hands are good, let alone kicking for goal.
We need to give him a block of games to see what he is capable of.
I think his pace is something we are desperat for.
Team needs to find some synergy and a LOT of white line fever.

EFA

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:33 pm 
formerly King Kenny

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
We need 2 smaller defenders this week. Willo to replace Newman and perhaps Setterfield to replace SPS in defence.
I'd push SPS to half forward and leave out Lang for Silvagni. SPS either doesn't have the intensity or defensive craft required to play defence IMO. Too often he lets his opponent get goal side and his effort to chase are below standard.
I'm tempted to give Harry the arse as I think we're too tall with Harry, Levi, McGovern and JSOS up forward but I can't see it happening.

Plowman Jones, Simpson
Williamson Weitering Docherty
Newnes Cripps Walsh
Gibbo Levi Martin
Eddie JSOS McGovern
Pittonet Ed Murphy

Setterfield (7th defender), Cuningham, SPS, Harry

I'm guessing Setterfield as the 7th Defender starts on the field on a wing or HF but plays defensive wing?
He did alright at HBF a couple of games last year. Good idea.

Newnes has had 20 possessions in 2 rounds of footy. He's not an accumulator, but I expect the MC to go with him.
Maybe he's been playing the 7th defender? I cant tell on the screen. He didn't make his presence felt against Dees imo.

Tell me, what do you think Murphy will be like inside the coal face of the midfield vs Selwood Danger Menegola/ Duncan?
Do you think he will lay a tackle? Put some physical pressure on them? Get his own ball? What do you expect from him in the midfield. Curious/

I think Murphy and the team did better when he went to the wing. He only came in to the middle for a chop out on a few occasions in the 2nd half and took Brayshaw, although there was one time he had Petracca again. Thankfully Petracca was spent by thern.

I want to see Jack Silvagni in the middle with Cripps to use their weight and fight to win the ball whilst Ed hard tags Selwood.
Hopefully Murphy and Walsh can race in from the wings to create the outside connection.

I understand your position on Harry. He doesn't look to be in form, but you've dropped our most in form KPF Levi ???

I think the reason Ptto is selected is to have the luxury of Levi as our 'in form' target up forward. IMO Levi should play closer to goals and Harry should play further up the ground as a lead up player. He did OK leading up on the rare occasions he did. Might be a fitness thing.

We have to go to Kardinia with an aggressive winning mentality, and hopefully the MC gets their positioning right this time from the outset.

We usually start a 7th defender on the bench and he comes on when one of our running backs rotates. Setterfield can fill that role. Good insight :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what you mean that I've dropped Levi. He's at CHF in my team and is probably our most important forward. :screwy:

Murphy had 24 disposals, 4 clearances, nearly 500 metres gained and 5 score involvements. Most of that gained as a wingman. He's smart. He's quick, No disrespect to the man, but I feel he should get some reprieve from the battering. Bradleyesue comes to mind. He is fantastic when freed up.

Yes his lack of physicality is frustrating but he'd still one of our better midfielders until someone else comes along and takes his spot. Someone who can tackle big midfielders. Murphy is not that man. His shoulders told us that years ago.We shouldn't expect it from im. He's good to go into the midfield mix when the heats gone off the game ie 2nd half fresh.

As for Newnes, he went back and filled Newmans role. Just because he didn't win a lot of ball doesn't mean he wasn't a solid contributor. He's one of the rare players that can play a number of roles well for us. :thumbsup: I just needed to hear it.

I'm a fan of Jack Silvagni but he isn't a ball winner in the middle. When he's played there in the VFL he's reactive and struggles the read the ball off the ruckman. He's a tagger at best in the middle. With him and Cripps in the middle, we'd be too slow IMO.

I think he can do it, and he's shown it to me and you. Tell him to go get it like he did against Fyfe. We never gave him another chance after that. We are too slow when they have the ball. We need to get the ball first Not Petracca, Oliver, Dangerfield and Selwood. The dynamic duos. A big bodied mid to get the ball first when Cripps is tagged. He can do it.

As I said elsewhere, I'd give Newnes and Martin more time in the midfield rotation. Both have a go and both have leg speed.
:thumbsup: Philp might be too young to expose him to the big boys, but I'd love to let him loose.

We arent that far off. One point

Good onya

Go Blues

I think any kid with intent and pace is ready. They add the unknown, and excitement within the group.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:

Simmo looks like a kid with his undeveloped body. He's heart n soul and ever reliable 7th defender

Great thing about this list is the 5 injured would be automatics in the best 22.
Plus we have whoever we trade in with our First Rounder and FA, maybe a B+ trade in for our round 2 and 3 picks.

We are not that far off.

Bondi, I love your posts and I love your enthusiasm.
I agree with most of what you post BUT
This list looks good on paper. The replacements look good on paper.
The problem is, this is not a board game, it is played live and in colour out there on the light green.
Carlton's problem is not the list. The kids we have, have talent to burn and a lot of upside. The problem is that they have no fire in the belly apart from a few whom I have mentioned in various threads.
We talk about North and the mindset that has been passed down. They get written off every year. Every year they find a way. Shaw will take them deep into September before we know it. They are fighters and battlers from a poor club wirh no facilities and a bugger-all supporter base.
What has been passed down at Carlton?
Success. We are big and successful and we built that success on the backs of the Maclures, Johnnos, Buckleys Rys Joneses, Wallses, Ashmans, Keoghs, Croswells, and the list of larrikins goes on.
BUT the worst tradition of all is "the Premiership Quarter" whereby we overrun everybody even though we have given them a massive start in the first half.
I'd much prefer we had struggled for our 16 flags than won them on the trot with the aura of invincibility we and the past players portray.
Sellers is one of the better footy brains going around IMO along with King. Between them they make a formidable duo on 360 but look at the difference in their approach. Sellers is all fun and laughing while he analyses stuff whereas King is all business. Therein is the key.

Teague says he wants the players to go out there and have fun.
Shaw says he wants them to go out and bust their arses for the club and have fun meanwhile. I'm guessing that they are having more fun than we are atm.

It's not the list.
It's what they have between their ears.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:00 am 
Ken Hunter

its not the list
its how the list is mixed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

We are not that far off.

Bondi, I love your posts and I love your enthusiasm.
I agree with most of what you post BUT
This list looks good on paper. The replacements look good on paper.
The problem is, this is not a board game, it is played live and in colour out there on the light green.
Carlton's problem is not the list. The kids we have, have talent to burn and a lot of upside. The problem is that they have no fire in the belly apart from a few whom I have mentioned in various threads.
We talk about North and the mindset that has been passed down. They get written off every year. Every year they find a way. Shaw will take them deep into September before we know it. They are fighters and battlers from a poor club wirh no facilities and a bugger-all supporter base.
What has been passed down at Carlton?
Success. We are big and successful and we built that success on the backs of the Maclures, Johnnos, Buckleys Rys Joneses, Wallses, Ashmans, Keoghs, Croswells, and the list of larrikins goes on.
BUT the worst tradition of all is "the Premiership Quarter" whereby we overrun everybody even though we have given them a massive start in the first half.
I'd much prefer we had struggled for our 16 flags than won them on the trot with the aura of invincibility we and the past players portray.
Sellers is one of the better footy brains going around IMO along with King. Between them they make a formidable duo on 360 but look at the difference in their approach. Sellers is all fun and laughing while he analyses stuff whereas King is all business. Therein is the key.

Teague says he wants the players to go out there and have fun.
Shaw says he wants them to go out and bust their arses for the club and have fun meanwhile. I'm guessing that they are having more fun than we are atm.

It's not the list.
It's what they have between their ears.

The list is good? Its not good? It looks good? Not sure exactly why the BUT in your sentence.

Are we saying the same thing?

I'm saying the players are good players; top 20 players; plenty of them; they have the tools to be great players....not all of them...the list in general.

I'm putting it back to the Off field bosses:

eg

Russell...has he conditioned them for endurance and not power, hence slow starts and running out games better than opponents

Teague...he has to stop being liked for the nice things and start to be liked for bringing success to the team. He hould be charging their emotions before the game and create an us vs them aura

Barker ... its the midfield where we are getting smacked. Its your responsibility. Why are we getting smashed in their. Why arent there more than 5-6 running through their...

Lloyd ... you are list manager. Get 5 names with a bit of mongrel and put heat on positions. Some of SOS' picks will be traded. We expect that. No more nice characters from nice families. We have too many of that profile.

The rest of you....all of you...use some of that life experience you have over the youth on our list and guide them to the promised land...fire them up...like we seem to do for Essendon* games..and they better continue that in a fortnight or the shit will hit the fan.

Draw a line in the sand and turn this list into winners. No one in the media is denying we have a good list. Its a board game in terms of moving players around because its our only means to determine what we have. Teague can shuffle the real thing. Should be easier for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It's a good question you pose Bondi. The thing we need to consider is how much is off field bosses and how much is our players not willing to do the extra work to get the absolute best out of themselves.
I wrote in another thread that despite 3 full pre seasons, Dow still has the body of a 15 year old boy. Why? Is it Russell not wanting to put on too much weight and is it all on him, or is Paddy not doing the extra work?
Stocker is not being selected supposedly because his fitness despite 2 full pre seasons and shortened quarters is not deemed good enough to run out a full game. How much of that is on Russell and how much is on Stocker not doing the required work.

Goal kicking: Despite that horrible miss on the weekend, Gov is probably out best and most reliable set shot for goal (Jack M may now challenge him for that title). Levi has gone from poor to average but the rest are not good at all. I know Sav had to depart, but he had ample time with them. Why is JSOS still a horribly unreliable kick for goal? H too? Kruez, Dow, Murph is unreliable from a set shot. We saw Cripps and what he did on the weekend. I could almost name 90% of our list here. How much on that was on Sav and how much on our players not willing to do the extra work to get the absolute best out of themselves.

They are not little children anymore. They need to want to do the work themselves. They are professional athletes and most get paid a lot more than the majority of us yet it appears aren't prepared to put the work in.

How much of this is on the off field bosses and how much is on the players?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:41 am 
John Nicholls

The problem is our bottom 6.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:42 am 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:

And the fact that there are more than 6 in our bottom 6 :smoking:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:08 am 
Bruce Doull

CFC8795 wrote:
robertbb wrote:

And the fact that there are more than 6 in our bottom 6 :smoking:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sorry, Bondi. I could have ranted more clearly.
I agree that the list is OK. What I disagree with it that we are not far off.
We are miles off if we maintain the current mindset.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Sorry, Bondi. I could have ranted more clearly.
I agree that the list is OK. What I disagree with it that we are not far off.
We are miles off if we maintain the current mindset.

yeah,

and if we change our mindset? We are not that far off?
Is that what you're saying?

What I do know is players can be moved to play out of their skins by their coach before a game.
Ive been there and seen that when the odds were stacked against us in H&A and a few GF's.

Mindset

Who sets their mind?
Who sets their body?
Who is in control of their actions?

Does the game plan suit the positioning of the players?

If you see ball do you want it? Shouldn't even be a question at this level.

Everyone needs to lift to turn potential into reality.

Get that nut! Hit those Cats with everything you've got. Getting Reported when you didn't intend to doesn't matter.
Make this game count, then the next one....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next