Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Lack of intensity for a quarter
Skill errors awful....
The last quarter misses were symptomatic of that... Not just the missed shots at goal but also the poor options....

We'll get murdered by the more skilled teams.... Especially if we don't bring pressure....

Good tonight
Pittonet tried, not bad for first up against much better opponent
Weiters excellent
Martin,.. Silk
Ed... We needed two of him
Cunningham... One of the few to show intensity in the first, no surprise he got the first goal in the second... Give him the ball when he can run (Doc did that, set up a goal, thought he was going to get torched in that one two for a second)

NQR tonight, (hopefully it's an aberration-or are we expecting too much)
Cripps.... Pantsed by Oliver, crucial misses
Doch... Mostly solid, then some silly errors
SPS... Miskicks under no pressures.
Walsh... Rushed kicks under no pressure, some bad options

Jury still out tonight...
Newnes
Setters
Lang (I summarised my feelings in the pre game thread)

And another thing....

I thought Betts at least applied pressure WHEN it was near,
For God's sake TALK!!... NO Crowds, you could just about whisper, seeing Lang run through Betts and Walsh... And fumble it...
Said it before... 'you don't even need to have skill to block and shepherd for your team mate'

I don't care that we NEARLY won... That was a full serve of TRIPE to the 67000 members... Nothing more

Go Blues

Lang had 4 disposals. Not sure how the jury is still out.
That's the 'being generous' list :thumbsup:

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Another nothing season ahead.
In many ways this year is worse than the last five, as we as a Club knew we were crap and in development phase back then. This year though, its been all talk talk talk out of the Club. 'This is our time', 'we are ready', 'we're sick of losing', 'the players have come back in great condition', 'we have to be better for longer', 'the talent is in place now', 'training has gone up a notch' etc etc....
SICK AND TIRED of the acceptance of mediocrity, and of the mental weakness of our players a lot of the time. Every time there's a bit of positivity or expectation put on them, they seem to crumble.
We as a supporter group are so desperate for success, that we gobbled up gallons of the crap they ve been spinning, and that's why yesterday hurt so much. We feel we've been duped. AGAIN!

Last edited by Dominator_7 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rod Waddell wrote:
I’m still waiting for the Cripps midfield reinforcement.

3 years down the track and we have not added to our midfield with mature seasoned recruits.

Bloody hell even Rockliff rejected us!

You can never get enough quality midfielders in your team.

Rockliff preferred us (he wanted to return home to Vic) but our genius list manager short changed him!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:39 pm 
Bob Chitty

Dominator_7 wrote:
In many ways this year is worse than the last five, as we as a Club knew we were crap and in development phase back then. This year though, its been all talk talk talk out of the Club. 'This is our time', 'we are ready', 'we're sick of losing', 'the players have come back in great condition', 'we have to be better for longer', 'the talent is in place now', 'training has gone up a notch' etc etc....
SICK AND TIRED of the acceptance of mediocrity, and of the mental weakness of our players a lot of the time. Every time there's a bit of positivity or expectation put on them, they seem to crumble.
We as a supporter group are so desperate for success, that we gobbled up gallons of the crap they ve been spinning, and that's why yesterday hurt so much. We feel we've been duped. AGAIN!

Very well put. A lot of tough talk and spin leading into the year. Had us believing this was our time to get moving up the ladder. Then they dish up effortless starts to the first two games. We can put together as much talent as we want, unless it’s coupled with a winning culture that accepts nothing less than 100% effort all the time, we won’t be moving far up the ladder.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Waddell wrote:

3 years down the track and we have not added to our midfield with mature seasoned recruits.

Wines or Powell-Pepper?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

I want North Melbourne's attitude. They are invariably switched on and never give up. Give everything. Now they beat the GWS in Sydney. If we had what they had with the players we have, we'd be soooo much better. I want that intangible they have.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Dominator_7 wrote:

Not entirely. I expected Melbourne to beat us with their bigger bodied midfielders but I also expected us to show fight from the 1st bounce instead of that insipid soft 1st quarter display. Then in the last to win the game, given we had the opportunities presented to us. McGovern, Cripps (x2) and Betts should have kicked those goals. Leadership and experience!

Melbourne proved that they don't have the killer / winning instinct and we are following in their footsteps.
Melbourne will not get far with their mentality but neither will we.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:49 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Will be 0-4 Essendon* - quick off the mark against the Swans 19 to 0 after 11 minutes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Reminded me of the last game at princes Park actually.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

jezzarules wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:

Wines or Powell-Pepper?

I haven't seen a lot of Port in the last few years but the Wines in my memory would be great. Our failure to hit our trade targets the last couple of years is starting to bite.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

chubbyruss wrote:
Will be 0-4 Essendon** - quick off the mark against the Swans 19 to 0 after 11 minutes

Watching that game now. * seems to have a lot of zip but weak in the air. Run off half back is a million times better than ours. Reckon they're a bad opponent for us, although they are massive bottlers so...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:04 pm 
Bob Chitty

jim wrote:
I want North Melbourne's attitude. They are invariably switched on and never give up. Give everything. Now they beat the GWS in Sydney. If we had what they had with the players we have, we'd be soooo much better. I want that intangible they have.

Agreed. Over 20 years, North has developed a culture of grit and competitiveness. It has been handed down from group to group. Archer, Simpson etc taught Petrie, Harvey, Firrito etc who handed the culture on to Ziebell, Cunnington, Tarrant, McMillan etc. They don’t have great talent but they give 110% each week. That’s why they can upset teams on any given day. On the other hand, our identity and culture was lost years ago. Now we’ve got a massive challenge on our hands to build a new culture. It’s a whole of club thing (board, footy dept, coaches and players) and we need to sort it out soon. Otherwise we’ll continue to accept mediocrity and go no where fast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

david31 wrote:
jim wrote:

Agreed. Over 20 years, North has developed a culture of grit and competitiveness. It has been handed down from group to group. Archer, Simpson etc taught Petrie, Harvey, Firrito etc who handed the culture on to Ziebell, Cunnington, Tarrant, McMillan etc. They don’t have great talent but they give 110% each week. That’s why they can upset teams on any given day. On the other hand, our identity and culture was lost years ago. Now we’ve got a massive challenge on our hands to build a new culture. It’s a whole of club thing (board, footy dept, coaches and players) and we need to sort it out soon. Otherwise we’ll continue to accept mediocrity and go no where fast.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:30 pm 
Robert Walls

What do people think of Ed beginning his post-football coaching career (I'm just guessing...) by teaching Gibbons the art of being a lock-down mid?

I know Gibbo is not tall but neither were Libba/Hogg and I know it was a different era

I reckon Gibbo is so desperate to succeed as an AFL footballer, he could be taught (and be driven enough) to make it work. He's certainly more skillfull and quicker than Ed as well

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:

Not entirely. I expected Melbourne to beat us with their bigger bodied midfielders but I also expected us to show fight from the 1st bounce instead of that insipid soft 1st quarter display. Then in the last to win the game, given we had the opportunities presented to us. McGovern, Cripps (x2) and Betts should have kicked those goals. Leadership and experience!

Melbourne proved that they don't have the killer / winning instinct and we are following in their footsteps.
Melbourne will not get far with their mentality but neither will we.

That's exactly it.
Melbourne came out of a worse loser mentality than we had, climbed up the ladder, but the weak mentality eventually overcame them again. At least they had 2 or 3 decent seasons of wins in double figures and Finals in 2018. We haven't won more than 7 games in a season since 2013!!! All this talk of long 'sustained success' is irrelevant if we don't even wake up in games until the heat is out of the contest.
The slow starts are not an anomaly but a standard. Why haven't we been able to fix this issue in the 12 months Teague has been charge ? Can only be put down to mental fragility. Winning a lot of the games we started slowly in in the last part of 2019 only papered over the cracks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

frustrating...!

kindest regards Tommi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Its a worry when you get bullied by the Dee's...................a big worry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

That first quarter was a total embarrassment.

Not sure if we turned the game around because we did things differently, or if becuase Melbourne is also shit.

But, what bites the most, is that we created ample opportunities to put ourselves in a winning position and still stuffed it up.

Walsh made some poor errors taking the ball inside 50 in the last that really hurt.

Geelong in Geelong next week. Happy days! :lol:

I mean, it's the type of batshit scenario in which we'll either win or get totally spanked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
That first quarter was a total embarrassment.

Not sure if we turned the game around because we did things differently, or if becuase Melbourne is also shit.

But, what bites the most, is that we created ample opportunities to put ourselves in a winning position and still stuffed it up.

Walsh made some poor errors taking the ball inside 50 in the last that really hurt.

Geelong in Geelong next week. Happy days! :lol:

I mean, it's the type of batshit scenario in which we'll either win or get totally spanked.

Walsh looked hurried ali night, a very unusual lack of composure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

Walsh will be filthy. Expecting a big game from him next week

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next