Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

grrofunger wrote:
Also gives us less time to chase down a 5 goal first quarter deficit though

this has been confirmed by BT 11 times already tonight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

WOW wrote:
That team is slow

No Fischer and Dow

Or O'Brien and Philp.

Either of those two before Gibbons even though I rate him as an honest footsoldier.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
verbs wrote:
How are people feeling about this one? It's been so long I can't get a read on where we are at.

Our preseason form was woeful and there has been more spin than a Shane Warne flipper about our round 1 performance (OK we had our moments against Richmond but, let’s face it, we were smashed when the game was up for grabs).

The counter argument to this:

- we were in very unusual circumstances being the first game playing at an empty MCG. We were a bit shell shocked and the far more experienced Richmond side adapted much more quickly as you’d expect. Hard to know just how much this affected our slow start but I suspect a lot.

- Richmond got the rub of a LOT of crucial 50/50 (or even less) decisions in the first 10 mins which either cost us goals or gifted them goals. Go back and watch up to their 5th goal. We were very unlucky

- we were without our two first choice key forwards and lost out ruckman in the first quarter meaning we lost our third choice key forward to the ruck as well. After this we had next to no structure going forward as you’d expect.

- once we settled, we actually controlled the majority of the game despite the above points and actually got back within striking distance in the last quarter. We just couldn’t capitalise on our chances, in no small part due to the fact that we had no key forwards. Put Harry and Levi in the forward line and we might well have run over the top of them.

Its all a matter of perspective. But a lot of things did go against us in round one. Take out Richmonds first 3 choice key forwards and see how they go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wanted to post similar but thought.....nah

thanks for your comments. Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Best team for many a year.

Pity Kreuzer Charlie C. Marchbank and Fisher are missing.

Then again....looking to 2021, we have also missing:

Kemp Philp Ramsay Stocker ..

We have depth with Kennedy, Lang, Dow and ODrien waiting in the wings.

2020 is a different beast.

Lets hope we win 10-11/17 games this year.
We are 1 - nild down thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Pity we didn't get Richmond on a week they only kick 5 goals for the game.

No real surprises in the team, even though I have been talking up Dow and O'Brien, their time will come. The important thing is to use it well early and share the joy.
I can't understand the negativity on Gibbons. He's a genuine mid who has been played as a small forward. Now we have some small forwards, I think we will see what he can do. He was recently named one of the best 50 players in the VFL of all time or something, whatever that means.... Nonetheless it means he can play footy. He doesn't take a backward step either.
It isn't a slow team. It isn't quick either but the bench is pretty versatile. Simmo likes to run and carry and apparently Cuningham is quick, although it isn't obvious on TV.
Jack can play fwd, back and midfield and Newnes is a goer.

If Hunt and Pickett get a lot of it, we will be hard pressed to catch them across the ground.

Gawn is good but at the clearances, that means nothing against us. We are good at clearances and usually Kreuzer gives the opposition mids an armchair ride anyway so it will be his work around the ground that is important.

They have no decent tall forwards, Jackson may be a ruck/forward prodigy but I can't see him outworking Jones in his first game. At the other end, I think we have the edge. I hope Harry kicks straight. That is the big weaknss in his game.

We still have a few to come back that show promise. I am looking forward to an improvement this season, starting with a good start and a win this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Pity we didn't get Richmond on a week they only kick 5 goals for the game.

No real surprises in the team, even though I have been talking up Dow and O'Brien, their time will come. The important thing is to use it well early and share the joy.
I can't understand the negativity on Gibbons. He's a genuine mid who has been played as a small forward. Now we have some small forwards, I think we will see what he can do. He was recently named one of the best 50 players in the VFL of all time or something, whatever that means.... Nonetheless it means he can play footy. He doesn't take a backward step either.
It isn't a slow team. It isn't quick either but the bench is pretty versatile. Simmo likes to run and carry and apparently Cuningham is quick, although it isn't obvious on TV.
Jack can play fwd, back and midfield and Newnes is a goer.

If Hunt and Pickett get a lot of it, we will be hard pressed to catch them across the ground.

Gawn is good but at the clearances, that means nothing against us. We are good at clearances and usually Kreuzer gives the opposition mids an armchair ride anyway so it will be his work around the ground that is important.

They have no decent tall forwards, Jackson may be a ruck/forward prodigy but I can't see him outworking Jones in his first game. At the other end, I think we have the edge. I hope Harry kicks straight. That is the big weaknss in his game.

We still have a few to come back that show promise. I am looking forward to an improvement this season, starting with a good start and a win this weekend.

Based on what he did in round 1, IIRC 6 possessions and did none of the things you speak of.
Yeah it may be a one off. Hope so, but Gibbo and setters in round 1 were the weakest links.
I just hope he gets his 20 plus possessions because he's not sitting in the forward pocket waiting for crumbs, especially not this week with Betts back.

All the negativity I read for Gibbo was for round 1 and not what for he did in he VFL in 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I hope the AFL Commission close the roof for this game.

If they don't, and it rains, this T20 game of 16 minute quarters is going to be a low scoring affair.

I hate 16 minute quarters... I feel robbed.

I will change my mind if Carlton wins more games in 2020 because of the shortened quarters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm expecting that 3 debutants for Demons will be a liability for them.

Bennel looks to be in ripping training form, but hasn't played much in the last 3 years, and the other 2 kids ... may be in the wrong weight division in this game.

I hope I'm right.

Footy is back !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:40 am 
Robert Walls

Pretty sure the roof’s permanently shut this season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:35 am 
Rod Ashman

:clap: Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:33 am 
formerly BlueRob

I was feeling really confident about this match ... but looking at Melbourne, they have named a good team. Added to this, as has been noted, we are really lacking some speed.

Hopeful but concerned!

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:55 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
I hate 16 minute quarters... I feel robbed.

I will change my mind if Carlton wins more games in 2020 because of the shortened quarters.

^ This :thumbsup:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Silvagni out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:27 pm 
Robert Walls

Yeah, Silvagni out with gastro and they're saying that Dow is actually out with knee soreness and will miss a few weeks.

Emergencies are: Matthew Kennedy, Darcy Lang, Sam Philp and Tom Williamson

A straight swap for Kennedy is probably the most obvious option. I'd like to play Willo, but we already have a surfeit of half-back types... Lang isn't very good... So... debut for Philp?

Last edited by bluechampion on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluechampion wrote:
Yeah, Silvagni out with gastro and they're saying that Dow is actually out with knee soreness and will miss a few weeks.

Emergencies are: Matthew Kennedy, Darcy Lang, Sam Philp and Tom Williamson

A straight swap for Kennedy is probably the most obvious option. I'd like to play Willo, but we already have a surfeit of half-back types... Lang isn;t very good... So... debut for Philp?

I think I'd prefer Philp, not sure why!
Consensus seems to be that Kennedy is a 'straight swap'- I guess it depends on how they intended to use Jack.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:
Silvagni out

Damn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
I expect Dow to be dropped, and Gibson and Setterfield lucky to survive, based on the round 1 performance.
They will stick with bigger bodies, and running machines.

IN: Pittenet Harry Betts

OUT: Kreuzer (foot), Fisher (foot) Dow (by an inch)

EMERGENCIES:

Philp (reckon he's on the cusp)
Kennedy (incase Jack Silvagni doesn't get up from soreness)
Williamson (who will be in if Newman ...)

reckon that's about it.

We are better than some Blues supporters suggest, the proof WAS our effort against Richmond after the first quarter.

I heard from someone yesterday in the know that Jack had soreness and likely to miss. Didn't hear it was gastro.

Most obvious emergency for Jack wold be Kennedy...but I have a need for speed....Philp.

Dow has had knee sorness for a couple of weeks. came back from iso ok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
I was feeling really confident about this match ... but looking at Melbourne, they have named a good team. Added to this, as has been noted, we are really lacking some speed.

Hopeful but concerned!

Go Blues!

Agree.

I hope the boys at least move the ball on quickly and can get connection all the way to the forwardline in doing so

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Give Kennedy the go. Let him show us how much he wants it and more importantly let him run through the midfield. Perfect opposition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It would like to see us have some more run and carry. Either a debut game for Philp or Willo for me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next