Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

Better playing Melb at Marvel than the G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:
HTP wrote:
Didn’t Bolton give the young guys more responsibility though, Blue Sombrero? It ended in tears back then - not sure what’s changed to give you confidence now.

Not the same thing. I'm not suggesting they take over the major roles in the team, just that the senior players honour their workrate instead of looking for one of their waxing partners.

If someone like O'Brien busts his arse five or six times running down from defence to attack, is in a good position to receive and gets consistently ignored while Simmo holds it up until Cripps gets into position or bombs it over his head to the opposition sweeper, , he will eventually lose the will to bust his arse and run from defence into attack and make position to receive.
Look how many new players get goals in Richmond's setup or Collingwood's. Kids we have never heard of who have played eleven games suddenly pop up with 4 goals. That doesn't happen with us.

Watch how often Jack or Kennedy gets into the open and they kick it to McKay two on one with their man providing the cutout. They have to take pack marks just to get a kick.

Bring the kids into the game if they are in the right position. If they consistently muck it up, it's the MC's job to drop them. It isn't always Newman's best option to ignore Setterfield or Dow every time he gets the footy because he is looking for Cripps.

There are 18 players on the park. It's up to them to get into a position to get the footy and it's up to those in possession of the footy to use the best option, which isn't always Cripps or Murphy or the long bomb to Harry or Levi.

EDIT: The names mentioned are examples and not meant to be actual plays.

So you are saying our experienced players don't want to give the ball to the kiddies? Interesting notion and quite possibly true. I ceased going to games years ago so probably don't have the vision on TV to see these sorts of things if they are happening. Pretty poor if that is the case. Though, in saying that, maybe it is a case of the older players waiting for the list to improve. I mean for years and years it seemed 95% of our team couldn't hit the side of a barn. But it is a much better list now, talent wise. As you said, any kid who keeps turning it over should be dropped. The players need to be held accountable, not just the coach.

Last edited by Paddycripps on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Someone will be unlucky, assuming they have to find a way to squeeze the Hawthorn ruckman in. Cuningham kicked goals in R1 so it is hard to see him making way. But as I said someone will be unlucky.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
PercyJones wrote:
From the AFL website. Personally I cant see Cunningham missing out, but its not easy to see who else - Dow, Gibbons, Newnes?

In: Harry McKay, Eddie Betts, Marc Pittonet
Out: Matthew Kreuzer (foot), Zac Fisher (ankle), David Cuningham (omitted)

B: Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman
HB: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Liam Jones, Kade Simpson
C: Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Martin, Harry McKay, Michael Gibbons
F: Eddie Betts, Levi Casboult, Mitch McGovern
Foll: Marc Pittonet, Marc Murphy, Ed Curnow
I/C: Jack Silvagni, Paddy Dow, Nic Newman, Will Setterfield

Emerg: Sam Philp, Matthew Kennedy, Tom Williamson, David Cuningham
Unavailable: Matthew Kreuzer (foot), Tom De Koning (ankle), Brodie Kemp (knee), Caleb Marchbank (knee), Zac Fisher (ankle), Charlie Curnow (knee)

In case anyone is wondering, this team is only a prediction from the AFL website journos, not the official R2 team.

Official team has Betts named as CHF.

Welcome back, champ!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
I think we should start him off in the back pocket first, or at least as a hard tagger, you know, so he can learn the caper first.

Two or three years doing that first, then he’ll be ready to go on ball.

:thumbsup:

Proven recipe for success: Ratten, Carrazzo, I think Gary Dempsey started in the BP ... just kidding

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Normal One wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
I find the obsession with rushing Philp perplexing, is this based on anything other than hope?

Really? The kid has what we miss, intent, tackles, speed and wins the ball.

and most important he's shown those qualities against the seniors during the preseason despite his age.
His first goal v Pies in Praccy games was a sign of things to come. He was lightning quick running towards goal.
Come round 1, and he was named as an emergency. There's good reason.

Yesterday Docherty commented on Philp. Described him as a powerful specimen.

Someone just mentioned he's exactly what we need.
I agree, but there's only one of him.

He was picked as an inside outside midfielder.
He was the fastest Under 18 over 20 metres.

From what Ive seen (limited to only tv/computer and at once in person) he seems suited to HB, wing, and can pinch a goal.
He was even earmarked by Teague and a couple of players the FP role because he has speed.

I will understand if the MC pick him. Docherty's smirk in recent interview (3AW?) may have given something away. :sly:

I'm really liking the Drafting of Philp and Ramsay.
They might pass Dow and OBrien.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

ummm...

Marc... Marc... and Nic...OC then...!

Primus regards Tommi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:52 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
I expect us to be much better. Martin, Docherty and Weitering already showing their impact. SPS too.
The slow start and lack of intensity against the Tigers should have been the focus since then so I’ll be v disappointed if we don’t come out breathing fire.
But I’d also expect the Demons to come out v hard - that’s their strength w Viney, Brayshaw & Oliver feeding off Gawn.
If we can match their intensity, I think our skills and speed will lift us to victory. But without the intensity, we won’t be in the game.

There's the game in a nutshell. The middle lot.

If Gawn is the reason their mids get an armchair ride, then Pittenet has a major role to play.

Dees get done on the outside, and recent times Cripps and Oliver have gone head to head.
If Pitto nullifies the advantage hit outs to Oliver, then I'd put my money on Cripps vs Oliver on the inside, or ball already in his hands.

That leaves Viney and Brawshaw, They are not big. Ed and Walshy can start up against them.
Murphy can go in there too.

I can't wait for SPS to be in there full time, but understand if he's HB setting up play.

I'd love to see Silvagni to go in the middle too, straight to Petracca when he's there.

Fisher will be missed for his zip in the middle.

I don't care who the 4 interchange are, I believe our top 18 can easily go for 16 minutes.
No red time means no red time goals.

If the boys are ready to go from the start we will win this one...imo
Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

verbs wrote:
How are people feeling about this one? It's been so long I can't get a read on where we are at.

Our preseason form was woeful and there has been more spin than a Shane Warne flipper about our round 1 performance (OK we had our moments against Richmond but, let’s face it, we were smashed when the game was up for grabs).

So on the available evidence, it looks to me like we are going to be pretty crap again this year. At least in first few rounds anyway.

Of course there’s the counter argument that those games were so long ago to be meaningless as a form line, but I’m not sure how we can expect improvement when we haven’t been playing.

Melbourne has to start favourite IMO, particularly if Jack Martin doesn’t play.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:43 pm 
John James

Is the game on Saturday on "free to air"?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

Beijing Blue wrote:

We have 1 free to air game in the next 4 and that is against Essendon*, so no.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
verbs wrote:
How are people feeling about this one? It's been so long I can't get a read on where we are at.

Our preseason form was woeful and there has been more spin than a Shane Warne flipper about our round 1 performance (OK we had our moments against Richmond but, let’s face it, we were smashed when the game was up for grabs).

So on the available evidence, it looks to me like we are going to be pretty crap again this year. At least in first few rounds anyway.

Of course there’s the counter argument that those games were so long ago to be meaningless as a form line, but I’m not sure how we can expect improvement when we haven’t been playing.

Why won’t Martin play?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 pm 
John James

SurreyBlue wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:

We have 1 free to air game in the next 4 and that is against Essendon**, so no.

Disappointing. Back to the radio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:31 pm 
John James

aboynamedsue wrote:
verbs wrote:

That last effort against Brisbane at our ground was dreadful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Beijing Blue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
verbs wrote:

That's a bit tough IMO.
We were significantly better until late in the second quarter from memory and then rested players in the second half.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:03 am 
John James

Blue Vain wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
verbs wrote:

That's a bit tough IMO.
We were significantly better until late in the second quarter from memory and then rested players in the second half.

The disposal by foot was poor. So many targets missed. Settlefield's lack of confidence was a real concern. Hoping for a big improvement on Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
HTP wrote:
Didn’t Bolton give the young guys more responsibility though, Blue Sombrero? It ended in tears back then - not sure what’s changed to give you confidence now.

Not the same thing. I'm not suggesting they take over the major roles in the team, just that the senior players honour their workrate instead of looking for one of their waxing partners.

If someone like O'Brien busts his arse five or six times running down from defence to attack, is in a good position to receive and gets consistently ignored while Simmo holds it up until Cripps gets into position or bombs it over his head to the opposition sweeper, , he will eventually lose the will to bust his arse and run from defence into attack and make position to receive.
Look how many new players get goals in Richmond's setup or Collingwood's. Kids we have never heard of who have played eleven games suddenly pop up with 4 goals. That doesn't happen with us.

Watch how often Jack or Kennedy gets into the open and they kick it to McKay two on one with their man providing the cutout. They have to take pack marks just to get a kick.

Bring the kids into the game if they are in the right position. If they consistently muck it up, it's the MC's job to drop them. It isn't always Newman's best option to ignore Setterfield or Dow every time he gets the footy because he is looking for Cripps.

There are 18 players on the park. It's up to them to get into a position to get the footy and it's up to those in possession of the footy to use the best option, which isn't always Cripps or Murphy or the long bomb to Harry or Levi.

EDIT: The names mentioned are examples and not meant to be actual plays.

So you are saying our experienced players don't want to give the ball to the kiddies? Interesting notion and quite possibly true. I ceased going to games years ago so probably don't have the vision on TV to see these sorts of things if they are happening. Pretty poor if that is the case. Though, in saying that, maybe it is a case of the older players waiting for the list to improve. I mean for years and years it seemed 95% of our team couldn't hit the side of a barn. But it is a much better list now, talent wise. As you said, any kid who keeps turning it over should be dropped. The players need to be held accountable, not just the coach.

Yes, I am pretty well saying that.
I am sure it isn't part of the plan but it seems to me watching from afar that the kids are ignored a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
I expect us to be much better. Martin, Docherty and Weitering already showing their impact. SPS too.
The slow start and lack of intensity against the Tigers should have been the focus since then so I’ll be v disappointed if we don’t come out breathing fire.
But I’d also expect the Demons to come out v hard - that’s their strength w Viney, Brayshaw & Oliver feeding off Gawn.
If we can match their intensity, I think our skills and speed will lift us to victory. But without the intensity, we won’t be in the game.

There's the game in a nutshell. The middle lot.

If Gawn is the reason their mids get an armchair ride, then Pittenet has a major role to play.

Dees get done on the outside, and recent times Cripps and Oliver have gone head to head.
If Pitto nullifies the advantage hit outs to Oliver, then I'd put my money on Cripps vs Oliver on the inside, or ball already in his hands.

That leaves Viney and Brawshaw, They are not big. Ed and Walshy can start up against them.
Murphy can go in there too.

I can't wait for SPS to be in there full time, but understand if he's HB setting up play.

I'd love to see Silvagni to go in the middle too, straight to Petracca when he's there.

Fisher will be missed for his zip in the middle.

I don't care who the 4 interchange are, I believe our top 18 can easily go for 16 minutes.
No red time means no red time goals.

If the boys are ready to go from the start we will win this one...imo
Go Blues

We have to win this to maintain even a modicum of credibility in our season.
They have a decent midfield but their attack is disjointed compared to our defence. Our attack is untried in its present form but as individuals we know they can do the trick against a pretty decent pair in Lever and May if they are on their game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

Will the team be announced at 6:20pm tonight? As it would for a normal season.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next