Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
I might be wrong but in my view, there is slow and then there is SLOW.

I mean Kennedy, my Lord, is there anything more painful than watching him try and chase someone, especially off the first few steps? Watch him try and chase and you know straight away as a midfielder at least he is a liability. Unless you are a freak like Mitchell who can find it blindfolded, you cannot get by in this game today when you are too slow. And Mitchell is not anywhere near as slow as Kennedy.

Look t is about recruitment and development. Have we got these right?

Dow was a Pick 3. Now to my eye he lacks composure and reliable ball use (the 2 might be intertwined). Is it just nerves and confidence and he will be OK? I hope so. But if not, then that was a recruiting balls up.

A lot of it comes down to attitude though. I mean Cripps was pretty darn slow when he arrived. But he has slimmed down and I swear he is quicker now than when he came to the club. And as a result he has reduced the impact that negative in his game has on his overall performance. Got to hand it to him. No wonder he was made captain.

Look one of either Wines or Z.Merrett (read something about this, probably a pipe dream) would help us a lot.

Attitude might have some play, especially confidence. But overall and as I have stated, I think we have failed by trying to only target two guns in two years. Instead of getting multiple B+ players, one mid will not fix our issues in the middle.
Wines and Merrett if true would put us back in the same boat as the last two years. I say trade hard and go for multiple upcoming B+ players and forget these two "marketing" coops.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Martin is not quick
Cotchin is not quick
Pendlebury is not quick
Sidebottom is not quick
Ablett is not quick
Hurd is not quick
Fyfe is not quick
Bont is not quick

They are all pretty clean with the footy but nont of them consistently go at 80%
Pendles would probably be the closest.

There are lots of one paced good footballers out there. They compensate in various manners by skill levels, volume of possessions, brute strength, vision.... Martin is probably the best player in the comp at the moment but in 2011 he was still nowhere near the beast or player he is today and he was drafted in 2009. Yes, he was pretty good but he took a few seasons to dominate. Our kids are still boys by comparison.

Yep ! pace is so overrated...............how may players who possess exhilarating speed figure in the all-time great list ? apart from Cyril that is.

All jokes aside, P.Matera had good pace and he was a dead set gun, Judd made his name with his burst of speed at stoppages, his mate D.Kerr had a good turn of speed I mean good luck grabbing him once he was off and running.

I think we need to remember, really quick players probably just end up playing forward as juniors, and then they get type cast and set in that sort of role. And we know the vagaries of the small forward role.

A midfielder who has skill, an ability to find it, poise, composure AND a decent turn of speed is the full package really. Nick Stevens was a damaging players especially early in his career because of the running ability he had. I remember seeing him against us at Princes Park one day and he ran us ragged. Got the ball, got the jets on and he was off. Tore us apart. Not lightning quick but quick enough to cut a team up.

That's why we went Dow. We just have to hope his issues are mental and he can overcome them. Playing him at HFF right now is the best thing for him. Get him some easy wins. A few break aways to goal. Confidence up. Then see it where it takes him. Of all the young mids we have who haven't stoood up yet, he is the one due to the investment made and his upside (speed).

So I wouldn't underestimate speed too much.

There is a big difference between underestimating it and overrating it.
I am a fan of speed but it isn't everything.
Deisel Williams could play a bit.
Skilts

They had hand and foot speed with ball in hand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:01 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Greatest ever midfield the famed mosquito fleet was not quick but quick enough. Don't need lightening pace to be the best ever.

Ashman
Sheldon
Buckley
Johnston at times
Glascott at times
Harmes at times
Marcou exception -- he was quick

I leave out Catoggio. He was quick but not very good.

I think I have them all.

Keogh and Armstrong a little earlier, but still great players.

Harmes was fast and what made him dangerous was that he only ran straight lines. he hit the footy flat out and kept going.
Marcou was quick for five metres. That was his gift.
Catoggio was genuinely fast but flashed in and out of the game and the team. Too much wind resistance as well.

Great days indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
Wines and Merrett if true would put us back in the same boat as the last two years. I say trade hard and go for multiple upcoming B+ players and forget these two "marketing" coops.

Merrett was a results of Kane Cornes hypothesising so I wouldn't take too much notice.
From memory, Gaff is an unrestricted DFA this year. If we could obtain him and use our first round pick on Wines, that would be a reasonable boost to our midfield stocks with the loss of only one first rounder in a highly compromised draft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:23 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Merrett was a results of Kane Cornes hypothesising so I wouldn't take too much notice.
From memory, Gaff is an unrestricted DFA this year. If we could obtain him and use our first round pick on Wines, that would be a reasonable boost to our midfield stocks with the loss of only one first rounder in a highly compromised draft.

I'd take that deal. An inside and an outside mid. But if the club did go down that path they would want to put it to bed pretty quickly, so we don't have a repeat of the last 2 years. Pay overs if we have too, just get it done early.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Where do I sign?

Proven experience is what we need.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

I would take that at a heart beat.

It changes our dynamics...and set up the dynasty with the young talent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:42 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Greatest ever midfield the famed mosquito fleet was not quick but quick enough. Don't need lightening pace to be the best ever.

Ashman
Sheldon
Buckley
Johnston at times
Glascott at times
Harmes at times

I think I have them all.

Harmes was fast and what made him dangerous was that he only ran straight lines. he hit the footy flat out and kept going.
Catoggio was genuinely fast but flashed in and out of the game and the team. Too much wind resistance as well.

Great days indeed.

We were lucky to be around to see it BS. Should have been a 4 'peat '79 to '82.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Ashman
Sheldon
Buckley
Johnston at times
Glascott at times
Harmes at times

I think I have them all.

Great days indeed.

Yes, we were and yes it couldabeen.
Parko riles up that that team is never mentioned in conversations about the great teams.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Ashman
Sheldon
Buckley
Johnston at times
Glascott at times
Harmes at times

I think I have them all.

Great days indeed.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Parko riles up that that team is never mentioned in conversations about the great teams.

Agree with DP. IMHO was a champion team.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:14 pm 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

I reckon we have to hope Setterfield, Williamson, and Kemp/Philp become stars.

Setterfield was disappointing in the preseason matches and Rd 1 against Richmond - I'm not feeling so confident about him being a gun player now. Great to have Williamson get over his back injury however I don't consider him a potential 'star' player. Good young player however doubt he will become elite. Fingers crossed on Philp and Kemp.
I think we should consider going after Ollie Wines in this years draft providing we get him for a reasonable price. Cripps needs support and Ed Curnow turns 31 in Nov.

Agreed on Setterfield too. In so far as I went to the Brisbane game last month and thought Setterfield was terrible. But he was showing good signs late last year. I dunno. Just frustrating isn't it. The inability for this club to get good midfielders.

Yes, I was at that game too and he looked bereft of confidence and was dreadful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm 
John James

robertbb wrote:
What separates us from the top teams is, in this order:

1) Intensity and work ethic ("lapses")
2) Ball handling, resulting in turnovers.

The first can be instilled and developed as part of culture.
The second can be improved... a bit...

I would add strength (men against boys) and poor skills as significant as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Beijing Blue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

A few of our players are still light weights and some middle weights who can't hold their ground against more seasoned bodies.

Kids like Cats captain Selwood and the likes, Hodge, were aggressive ball at all costs players and if they can inflict pain and injury in a game of attrition, they would.

We need to develop a bit of mongrel. IF players can be conditioned to become this if they are not blessed with white line fever, then that's th job of the psychologist: over to you Tara. Tara seems to be too nice and new age to focus on those qualities we seem to lack.

I hope we come out of this lockdown a different team: I doubt it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

A few of our players are still light weights and some middle weights who can't hold their ground against more seasoned bodies.

Kids like Cats captain Selwood and the likes, Hodge, were aggressive ball at all costs players and if they can inflict pain and injury in a game of attrition, they would.

We need to develop a bit of mongrel. IF players can be conditioned to become this if they are not blessed with white line fever, then that's th job of the psychologist: over to you Tara. Tara seems to be too nice and new age to focus on those qualities we seem to lack.

Interesting comments, and valid but two comploetely different scenarios.
Hodge, Lewis, Selwood were/are all happy to take one for the team if they have to. Trouble is, they rarely have to because the umpires are bluffed by them and the MRP is unwilling to suspend anybody anymore unless he (or she) is a relative unknown or the victim is absolutely poleaxed.
If some opposition player is getting too much of the footy, a stray elbow or backhander is always on. Maybe a slightly late tackle or slightly late and high and a trip to the tribunal for a fine. We know coaches like Clarkson, Matthews, the Scotts send players out to hurt the opposition because after they retire, players go on to Open Mike or some other Fox show and tell us in not so many words. You know, wink, wink, nudge nudge....
I was and am in favour of the automatic suspension rule. Punch? Guilty = 1 week. High impact, medium force, out of the play just add weeks, they don't decide whether a suspension is warranted. In ONE week, there would be no more sly punches or jumper punches. None. No more elbows, late high hits. NONE.
"But it was just a tap in the guts while he was running past, your honour." "That's OK, advocate. 1 week for starters.... Now lets assess the impact, shall we?"
Players like we have without the strong bodies get bullied on field by the likes of the above. Martin has caused two broken larynxes. "By gee he's hard to tackle, isn't he eh, Dermott?"
Selwood we know about. Ablett had to go weeks in a row before they decided he wasn't outside the law. "Yes it was a punch/elbow to the head but it wasn't that hard. The other player got up again straight away. What's more he hasn't been reported for more than 300 games and this would put a stain on an otherwise impeccable record"
The Dows and O'Briens of the world are probably intimidated by the players they know will belt them behind play or push them into the fence, jump into their back, give them a short one to the ribs and so on and they don't have the confidence or size to retaliate. Nor should they have to. Cripps retaliated on behalf of Dow or someone once last year and got a free kick reversed that cost a goal. Result? You have to let your small players get knocked around without defending them. How can that be right?
It shouldn't be up to teams to recruit bullies. It should be up to the system to punish them when they get caught out, which they often do.
Remember Chris Grant? The pundits are gnashing their teeth decades later because he only punched one person in the mouth for the entire year. He was robbed! Yeah! Lets give everybody one punch in the face to the player of their choice per year, shall we? Because of the Grant furore, twenty two years later, Brownlow favourites are getting off because the judge is too scared to apply the laws of the game in case they get pilloried. How can someone punch someone else in the guts so hard he vomits and the force be declared insufficient to warrant suspension? They might just as well do away with the no punching rule altogether.
Well at the end of 2018 the AFL declared there would be zero tolerance of punches in 2019. The VERY FIRST round, Robbo and Whateley were all over the MRP for not suspending either Liam Ryan or Ben Cunnington for striking. Both guilty, both fined and fine reduces for early guilty plea. Try getting an early guilty plea if it's an automatic suspension.
FIX THE SYSTEM. Don't make small, skilled players scared to get the footy in case they get sniped at by a Selwood chicken wing, a Gary Ablett elbow to the face, Dustin Martin fend off to the throat, Toby Greene boot to the face, Nat Fyfe elbow to the face, Lachie Neale off the ball incident....
Smaller players have to learn to take fair bumps and tackles. Most of the players I have known who were undersized said they didn't mind a bump or two from the side because they could just ride it and bounce off. We love that side of footy. race for the footy, a side to side bump, a gather, a great, strong tackle and maybe a bruised knee when it hits the ground. The Dows will handle that. The O'Brens will handle it. The Fishers. They aren't scared of that. They are conscious of the fact that they might cop one behind play or in a pack just hard enough to knock the wind from their sails and double them over, maybe make them vomit but that the perp will play again next week.

Rant rant.

In short, yes, some of our mids are small and get knocked off the footy by bigger opponents. That happens to everybody where Newton's laws of momentum come into play. It doesn't mean they are too small, it just means they will get knocked off the footy by bigger players from time to time. BUT that's not the issue. They should be confident enough to go for the footy without wondering whether or not they are going to cop a sly one from someone who knows he won't be suspended. It affects their confidence.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:55 pm 
John James

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Interesting comments, and valid but two comploetely different scenarios.
Hodge, Lewis, Selwood were/are all happy to take one for the team if they have to. Trouble is, they rarely have to because the umpires are bluffed by them and the MRP is unwilling to suspend anybody anymore unless he (or she) is a relative unknown or the victim is absolutely poleaxed.
If some opposition player is getting too much of the footy, a stray elbow or backhander is always on. Maybe a slightly late tackle or slightly late and high and a trip to the tribunal for a fine. We know coaches like Clarkson, Matthews, the Scotts send players out to hurt the opposition because after they retire, players go on to Open Mike or some other Fox show and tell us in not so many words. You know, wink, wink, nudge nudge....
I was and am in favour of the automatic suspension rule. Punch? Guilty = 1 week. High impact, medium force, out of the play just add weeks, they don't decide whether a suspension is warranted. In ONE week, there would be no more sly punches or jumper punches. None. No more elbows, late high hits. NONE.
"But it was just a tap in the guts while he was running past, your honour." "That's OK, advocate. 1 week for starters.... Now lets assess the impact, shall we?"
Players like we have without the strong bodies get bullied on field by the likes of the above. Martin has caused two broken larynxes. "By gee he's hard to tackle, isn't he eh, Dermott?"
Selwood we know about. Ablett had to go weeks in a row before they decided he wasn't outside the law. "Yes it was a punch/elbow to the head but it wasn't that hard. The other player got up again straight away. What's more he hasn't been reported for more than 300 games and this would put a stain on an otherwise impeccable record"
The Dows and O'Briens of the world are probably intimidated by the players they know will belt them behind play or push them into the fence, jump into their back, give them a short one to the ribs and so on and they don't have the confidence or size to retaliate. Nor should they have to. Cripps retaliated on behalf of Dow or someone once last year and got a free kick reversed that cost a goal. Result? You have to let your small players get knocked around without defending them. How can that be right?
It shouldn't be up to teams to recruit bullies. It should be up to the system to punish them when they get caught out, which they often do.
Remember Chris Grant? The pundits are gnashing their teeth decades later because he only punched one person in the mouth for the entire year. He was robbed! Yeah! Lets give everybody one punch in the face to the player of their choice per year, shall we? Because of the Grant furore, twenty two years later, Brownlow favourites are getting off because the judge is too scared to apply the laws of the game in case they get pilloried. How can someone punch someone else in the guts so hard he vomits and the force be declared insufficient to warrant suspension? They might just as well do away with the no punching rule altogether.
Well at the end of 2018 the AFL declared there would be zero tolerance of punches in 2019. The VERY FIRST round, Robbo and Whateley were all over the MRP for not suspending either Liam Ryan or Ben Cunnington for striking. Both guilty, both fined and fine reduces for early guilty plea. Try getting an early guilty plea if it's an automatic suspension.
FIX THE SYSTEM. Don't make small, skilled players scared to get the footy in case they get sniped at by a Selwood chicken wing, a Gary Ablett elbow to the face, Dustin Martin fend off to the throat, Toby Greene boot to the face, Nat Fyfe elbow to the face, Lachie Neale off the ball incident....
Smaller players have to learn to take fair bumps and tackles. Most of the players I have known who were undersized said they didn't mind a bump or two from the side because they could just ride it and bounce off. We love that side of footy. race for the footy, a side to side bump, a gather, a great, strong tackle and maybe a bruised knee when it hits the ground. The Dows will handle that. The O'Brens will handle it. The Fishers. They aren't scared of that. They are conscious of the fact that they might cop one behind play or in a pack just hard enough to knock the wind from their sails and double them over, maybe make them vomit but that the perp will play again next week.

Rant rant.

In short, yes, some of our mids are small and get knocked off the footy by bigger opponents. That happens to everybody where Newton's laws of momentum come into play. It doesn't mean they are too small, it just means they will get knocked off the footy by bigger players from time to time. BUT that's not the issue. They should be confident enough to go for the footy without wondering whether or not they are going to cop a sly one from someone who knows he won't be suspended. It affects their confidence.

Nice work BS. Greater output for the likes of Dow, LOB and Fisher will come from having increased strength and the knowledge they can handle the physical treatment you mention.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am 
Bob Chitty

Blue Sombrero wrote:

Smaller players have to learn to take fair bumps and tackles. Most of the players I have known who were undersized said they didn't mind a bump or two from the side because they could just ride it and bounce off. We love that side of footy. race for the footy, a side to side bump, a gather, a great, strong tackle and maybe a bruised knee when it hits the ground. The Dows will handle that. The O'Brens will handle it. The Fishers. They aren't scared of that. They are conscious of the fact that they might cop one behind play or in a pack just hard enough to knock the wind from their sails and double them over, maybe make them vomit but that the perp will play again next week..

couldnt agree more on this.

you only need to look at our game this year ... martin on murphy ... not even a free kick .. was play on and pats on the back to martin.

Honestly, i dont know how Murphy puts up with it. If i was him, i wouldnt have taken the law into my own hands and put him in the fence. There comes a time when the officials wont take care of it, so a stand needs to be made a.k.a Docherty when Simpson got cleaned up in a practice match. Im sick and tired of Carlton being pushed around "legally" and if the officials arent going to do it, we take things into our own hands.

Levi with knees up into mark contests
Crippa just man handelling at will

Its time we start bashing people ... legally, of course, with the rules in place. And if there is an instance we get pinged, rather than toeing the line, as please explains as to why its different from every other instance.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Smaller players have to learn to take fair bumps and tackles. Most of the players I have known who were undersized said they didn't mind a bump or two from the side because they could just ride it and bounce off. We love that side of footy. race for the footy, a side to side bump, a gather, a great, strong tackle and maybe a bruised knee when it hits the ground. The Dows will handle that. The O'Brens will handle it. The Fishers. They aren't scared of that. They are conscious of the fact that they might cop one behind play or in a pack just hard enough to knock the wind from their sails and double them over, maybe make them vomit but that the perp will play again next week..

couldnt agree more on this.

you only need to look at our game this year ... martin on murphy ... not even a free kick .. was play on and pats on the back to martin.

Honestly, i dont know how Murphy puts up with it. If i was him, i wouldnt have taken the law into my own hands and put him in the fence. There comes a time when the officials wont take care of it, so a stand needs to be made a.k.a Docherty when Simpson got cleaned up in a practice match. Im sick and tired of Carlton being pushed around "legally" and if the officials arent going to do it, we take things into our own hands.

Levi with knees up into mark contests
Crippa just man handelling at will

Its time we start bashing people ... legally, of course, with the rules in place. And if there is an instance we get pinged, rather than toeing the line, as please explains as to why its different from every other instance.

I'm lovin' this frank discussion.

I hope the lads know how we are feeling and fight back 'legally' .. and The Commission realise we know how much they have [REDACTED] up the game.
Decades ago, when there was no video review, the era was described as the wild west, but a punch was a punch, no video required...no Michael Christian to decide who he will protect, or not.

The problem I have is I see kids on weekends mimmick the dirty players, and we wonder where all this violence comes from.

Remember the Gaff punch? He was aiming for the chest, because its only a fine, and he connected to the face of young Brayshaw...that's what happens when the laws against violent actions is ignored.

AFL Commission is a disgrace and have messed with the rules that worked for over a century ... try explaining our rules to a newcomer ... ibet the umpiring decisions wont reflect what you think are the rules.

Our national game " Aussie Rules" has been hijacked, and renamed "AFL". VAFA has different rules, as did the VFA till the AFL had their way with them...now I believe the VFL is defunct too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Revisiting this.

Not much has changed, midfield still an issue despite Setterfield coming on to a degree.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:09 pm 
Banned

One of the best lists in the AFL that is going through growing pains (big match experience being one of them). A couple of holes to fill but that cake is very good. Just need some cream.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next