Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

Make it 17 rounds & it's easier to cut a list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I expect the $35M development of Princes Park will be put on hold...for a long time....

Unless the Fed/State Govts withdraw the funding I'd expect it to go full steam ahead and get people working again.

If the womens competition gets axed (I suspect it will) then I doubt the development will go ahead.

Cut the SuNs. Keep the AFLW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluegirl72 wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I expect the $35M development of Princes Park will be put on hold...for a long time....

Unless the Fed/State Govts withdraw the funding I'd expect it to go full steam ahead and get people working again.

If the womens competition gets axed (I suspect it will) then I doubt the development will go ahead.

everyone seems happy to cut the Suns

I get to watch the Blues live twice a year, when they play the Lions, the Suns (last year I dont think the Blues played the Lions up here)

Cut the Suns and I lose 50% of my viewing

They suck... but they serve a purpose ... for me :)

Yes, very selfish I know

G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

The 600 million dollar credit line will cover the GWS and GC franchises. No panic people.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

everyone seems happy to cut the Suns

I get to watch the Blues live twice a year, when they play the Lions, the Suns (last year I dont think the Blues played the Lions up here)

Cut the Suns and I lose 50% of my viewing

They suck... but they serve a purpose ... for me :)

Yes, very selfish I know

G
\\and the same applies to me the other way around.

I get to go to Brizzy and the Gold Coast to watch footy twice.
During summer its different; its beach time.

For selfish reasons I want the Suns to stay.
I remember the days of the Bears when I was living around the corner from Carara at Miami Beach.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
The 600 million dollar credit line will cover the GWS and GC franchises. No panic people.

The AFL have money and access to plenty more.
Billion Dollar Business.

I never worried about losing AFL.
We would never lose Aussie Rules.
Maybe some clubs, but not the game.

and I expect they can cover the AFLW too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Billion Dollar Business.

I have no doubt you are right Bondi. Only problem is, that the AFL are taking a global crisis to manipulate the situation and ‘change the goal posts’ to suit their long term agenda. Such a display of corruption never ceases to amaze me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Billion Dollar Business.

I am sure the AFL will survive this.
My worry is the local clubs and competitions.
Will the AFL look after them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:02 pm 
Wayne Johnston

david31 wrote:
According to some reports over the last week, the AFL has told clubs to expect to operate next season with playing lists of 35 and down to 30 by season 2022.

On my count, we’ve got 46 currently on the list (including all rookies) so a lot will unfortunately go at the end of the season if the reports are true.

A lot of flow on effects for drafting (might be the end of taking 3+ kids in the draft - maybe clubs only take 1-2 18 year olds and then look more at mature state league talent) and trading (may be a lot less movement of fringe players).

Suspect we see a lot less drafted and more kids playing state league footy before getting onto an afl list.

I guess the surplus is our new VFL team right there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:48 am 
Rod Ashman

Woke up this morning and was thinking about the Carlton vs Collingwood rivalry.

Will we ever see these two teams being relevant at the same time again?

With the AFL's focus on feeding their babies after this virus crisis (GWS, Sydney Swans, Brisbane & Gold Coast) will we ever see Carlton and Collingwood in the finals playing each other?

Seems unlikely in my lifetime anyway..or at least in next 20 years. Carlton's in debt, needs AFL assistance...Collingwood's a powerhouse. Last Carlton vs Collingwood final was in 1988. In 1988, Billy Ocean was releasing albums, don't forget Prefab Sprout and Talking Heads...all relevant back in 1988.

It is a Brave New World.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

tap in 79 wrote:

With the AFL's focus on feeding their babies after this virus crisis (GWS, Sydney Swans, Brisbane & Gold Coast) will we ever see Carlton and Collingwood in the finals playing each other?

Seems unlikely in my lifetime anyway..or at least in next 20 years. Carlton's in debt, needs AFL assistance...Collingwood's a powerhouse. Last Carlton vs Collingwood final was in 1988. In 1988, Billy Ocean was releasing albums, don't forget Prefab Sprout and Talking Heads...all relevant back in 1988.

It is a Brave New World.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:25 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Sombrero wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

It is a Brave New World.

Agree, very likely

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

tap in 79 wrote:

I dunno Tap.

These two teams will always be relevant because their rivalry is genuine. It's not built on rivalry rounds, super Saturdays, heritage weeks, TV marquee slots or free memberships.

Artificial shit is what fades away. Not genuine teams with genuine history.

OK. Fitzroy aside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/58478 ... zDQf3KeyXc

Quote:
LoGiudice also outlined that the objectives outlined in the Club’s strategic plan - including being debt free by 2023 and the completion of the Ikon Park Master Plan - had not changed.

“We have no plans to cut funding to either AFL or AFLW programs, beyond what is mandated by the AFL for all clubs,” he said.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

My dad always used to tell me carlton saved collingwood from folding in the 80s however i have never heard this mentioned anywhere else. Was he making this up, putting may on it or there is actually a shred of truth to this?

Last edited by true_blue3 on Mon Sep 26, 1981 5:07 pm; edited 92 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

true_blue3 wrote:
My dad always used to tell me carlton saved collingwood from folding in the 80s however i have never heard this mentioned anywhere else. Was he making this up, putting may on it or there is actually a shred of truth to this?

Collingwood was a basket case until Eddie took over the Footy show and Collingwood and shamelessly allowed their sponsors free plugs, tables the front of the audience, displays of the new Emirate's stewardess uniforms and so on, which made it easier for the club to attract sponsors because they knew they would get minutes of free publicity on the (then) highest rating show in the country.
Payola was supposedly banned in the 60s when record companies would pay DJs to play their records in prime time but Eddie made an art form out of it in the nineties onwards.

I have heard a story about Carlton helping out Collingwood but I thought it was to allow them to enter the VFA at the beginning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Could lose a major sponsor
Virgin shaky

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
true_blue3 wrote:

Collingwood was a basket case until Eddie took over the Footy show and Collingwood and shamelessly allowed their sponsors free plugs, tables the front of the audience, displays of the new Emirate's stewardess uniforms and so on, which made it easier for the club to attract sponsors because they knew they would get minutes of free publicity on the (then) highest rating show in the country.
Payola was supposedly banned in the 60s when record companies would pay DJs to play their records in prime time but Eddie made an art form out of it in the nineties onwards.

I have heard a story about Carlton helping out Collingwood but I thought it was to allow them to enter the VFA at the beginning.

Carlton was Collingwood's "sponsor"to join VFL from VFA.
My kids love telling Pies supporters this fact.

Eddie Maguire reminds us of this every now and then, hence his admiration of the Blues on air ... only during our lean times.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:21 pm 
John Nicholls

Sydney Blue wrote:
Could lose a major sponsor
Virgin shaky

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yep. Not good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

It is a Brave New World.

I would like to share your optimism but this is the record:
1900-1930-8 times Carlton vs Collingwood in finals
1930-1960-4 times they met
1960-1990 -10 times Carlton vs Collingwood in finals
1990-2020 -0 0 0 zero zero zero !! times these two iconic clubs have met in finals.

So why?
Is One reason that there are too many teams in the comp?
If a team moved to Gold Coast and merged with the Suns would that solve anything?
Maybe..

But either way I just can’t see Carlton playing Collingwood even in a poxy old elimination final (like scraps at the table) for at least 10 years. Odds against it.
That makes it 40 years of being without a Carlton vs Collingwood match in a final.
Imagine if Liverpool vs Man U in a final FA Cup, League Cup etc didn’t happen in 40 years. Crazy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next