Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Awesome crowd footage from 1998

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:

Is that the game where we kicked a monster score against a highly fancied bulldogs side?
Lance kicked 8 or 9 that day too.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:24 pm 
John James

rhino27 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Is that the game where we kicked a monster score against a highly fancied bulldogs side?

I remember that game and Lance going bananas. I looked it up. https://www.blueseum.org/Round+17%2C+1998

We won by 80 points after they beat us at Princes Park by 10 goals early in the season. We were 18.8.116 at half time and up by 58 points! Lance had 21 touches, 7 marks and 8 goals as an 18yr old. We kicked 11 goals in the second quarter and I remember that quarter went for something like 36 minutes? Great memories.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Brently8 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

I remember that game and Lance going bananas. I looked it up. https://www.blueseum.org/Round+17%2C+1998

We won by 80 points after they beat us at Princes Park by 10 goals early in the season. We were 18.8.116 at half time and up by 58 points! Lance had 21 touches, 7 marks and 8 goals as an 18yr old. We kicked 11 goals in the second quarter and I remember that quarter went for something like 36 minutes? Great memories.

I remember the 2bd quarter now you've jogged my memory. Braddles kicked our 11th from the boundary right on the siren.

I believe Sexton couldve kicked our 30th right on the final siren and missed.

We were well and truly out of finals contention but were going as well as anyone late in the season. We beat crows who were eventual premiers at footy park too. Lance carved them up too. Had that one on vhs and watched it many times. Parko showed some rare after siren emotion and was banging the coaches box window in excitement.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:48 pm 
John James

rhino27 wrote:
Brently8 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

I remember the 2bd quarter now you've jogged my memory. Braddles kicked our 11th from the boundary right on the siren.

I believe Sexton couldve kicked our 30th right on the final siren and missed.

We were well and truly out of finals contention but were going as well as anyone late in the season. We beat crows who were eventual premiers at footy park too. Lance carved them up too. Had that one on vhs and watched it many times. Parko showed some rare after siren emotion and was banging the coaches box window in excitement.

Parko was so revered back then. I miss those times, great memories.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:23 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I was there that day, it was one of my rare trips down from Sydney. I remember celebrating every goal madly and loudly with a Carlton supporter whom I’d never met before but we happened to be standing close to each other in a sea of long faced bulldogs fans....it made up for long sad, cold afternoon I spent at the western oval watching us kick one goal.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:47 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I don't recall going to this game but I know that I did.

When people talk about the game being better now they need to watch the start of this game. Forget the second half, the first half is terrific. The pace of the game and the actual contest is great to watch.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:

When people talk about the game being better now they need to watch the start of this game. Forget the second half, the first half is terrific. The pace of the game and the actual contest is great to watch.

Great find.

Totally agree.

They were all going 100% to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:16 am 
Wayne Johnston

kingkerna wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzdGGNoAlT0

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Some big names in that game.
I didn't realise that the anti-Carlton umpiring went that far back but the deliberate oob to SOS (fair call) followed by two non-frees against NM within two minutes just goes to show.
All we have ever asked for is consistency.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Thanks for posting, kk.

Great viewing.

And Bruce was sooooooooooooooo much better back then.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:46 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bluedog wrote:
Thanks for posting, kk.

Great viewing.

And Bruce was sooooooooooooooo much better back then.
Agree, Don Scott not so much

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:49 am 
Bruce Doull

Watched this one last night

I remember going to this game & taping it & being gutted to come home & find the recording didn't work. Only took me nearly 20 years but I finally got around to watching :lol:

6 goals down at half time then kept them to 1 goal in the second half. Mansfield, Beaumont, Bradley, & Hulme all shone. Great win.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ridiculously good game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:28 am 
Garry Crane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PfcnFywF8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:51 am 
Bob Chitty

CK95 wrote:

Ridiculously good game.

Thanks for posting this CK. What a game it was.

Watching this game and remembering back to this era, I couldn’t help but think about the team back then in the context of where the club is at now. I understand footy was a lot different 25 years ago but watching guys like Peter Dean, big Earl (who a few weeks later laid out Guy McKenna in another cracker game over in the west), Fraser Brown, Diesel, etc. was a real privilege because those guys would do anything to win. They had genuine mongrel and it went a long way to making us a successful club. Who in the modern day Carlton is anywhere close to those guys in terms of mongrel, win at all costs mentality and love for the jumper? We don’t really have anyone with a nasty streak that would run through a brick wall for the club. In 1995, we had a number of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

So true david31.

The other thing that always stands out to me about that side was our contested marking. Always felt confident one of us would catch it. Of today's sides, West Coast come close in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Watched the last qtr of this last night.

Do yourself a favour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Enjoyed that!

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.