Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

kingkerna wrote:
Ok nearly a week on and this is obviously extremely popular :oops: onward I go though.

I'm posting the following because I watched it with my son today. I went on to explain that I had to go to a wedding the day of this game and have always regretted it. "You're pathetic dad"

Please feel free to share your memories of this game, I assume it rates very highly with some here.

I remember Jarrad Waite nearly gave me a heart attack near the end of that game. Took a mark to kick the sealer, then played on...tackled, HTB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Houlihan on the left spears a 40 metre pass that never went more than three metres above the turf.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:25 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Houlihan on the left spears a 40 metre pass that never went more than three metres above the turf.

I was never much of a fan, but do wonder how he would go in todays football

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kingkerna wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I was never much of a fan, but do wonder how he would go in todays football

Well he could hit a target so he already has 99% of our current crop well and truly covered.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:16 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Ok nearly a week on and this is obviously extremely popular :oops: onward I go though.

I'm posting the following because I watched it with my son today. I went on to explain that I had to go to a wedding the day of this game and have always regretted it. "You're pathetic dad"

Please feel free to share your memories of this game, I assume it rates very highly with some here.

I remember Jarrad Waite nearly gave me a heart attack near the end of that game. Took a mark to kick the sealer, then played on...tackled, HTB

Pretty sure Fev took a mark about 25 out straight in front late in the last. Would've been his 9th goal for the game. Instead, he chose to handball to an under pressure Stevens who hit the post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Just watched Rys and Diesel on open Mike (separately of course) on Youtbe.
Good stuff for those maybe interested in re-visiting those shows.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Not video but a good interview nonetheless

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/this-is ... ting-life/

Scroll to Wayne Johnston

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Just watched Rys and Diesel on open Mike (separately of course) on Youtbe.
Good stuff for those maybe interested in re-visiting those shows.
Most of the Carlton ones have been good save for SOS who gave Mike nothing...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I have great memories from this, if you are unfamiliar with it sit back and enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:33 am 
Ken Hunter

kingkerna wrote:
I have great memories from this, if you are unfamiliar with it sit back and enjoy

I noticed that time was not stopped for a boundary throw-in.

When did this change to what we have now?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluedog wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

I noticed that time was not stopped for a boundary throw-in.

When did this change to what we have now?

Didn't realise it was changed that early. Thought it was more mid 90's, so there you go.

I remember Darren Tarczon coming on, cleaning up Guy McKenna (poor Guy got cleaned up a couple of times by us during the years) and Tarczon then snapping I think 2 goals in quick succession. Obviously there was the Minton-Connell winner. We were in front most of the day. Off memory I think we beat 3 of the top 4 that year, yet lost to 3 of the bottom 4 sides.
It was back in the days you could run onto the ground as soon as the siren went. I went with a mate (tigger fan) who was one of the fastest in school. I bolted onto the field in excitement when the siren went and left him well and truly in my wake. Someone had a go at Karl Langdon and not long after they changed the rules where you had to wait for a 2nd siren to sound before you could run onto the field.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Funny you should mention the Langdon incident. I knew the guy involved, he ran off and said "I've just copped a headbut off Langdon. Claimed he pushed over a kid or something and he intervened.

Later that week Eddie McGuire knocks on his door seeking an interview. Not sure how he tracked him down.

Eagles were undefeated at that stage, a few years in the early 90s we were good on our day, final 6 though so we kept missing out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

Did everyone see the 94 year old woman who recovered from Corona virus?
Her name is Maureen Appleby and she is a Carlton supporter, her father played 80 odd games for Carlton.
She was on the channel 7 news tonight having a phone call from David Teague.
Bless her.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
Did everyone see the 94 year old woman who recovered from Corona virus?
Her name is Maureen Appleby and she is a Carlton supporter, her father played 80 odd games for Carlton.
She was on the channel 7 news tonight having a phone call from David Teague.
Bless her.
:thumbsup:

Good heritage too....

Courtesy of the Beast's twitter feed

A lovely moment for Maureen Appleby. All power to @CarltonFC and coach Teague for making it happen.

Maureen’s father Frank Martin turned out in dark navy (1917-‘23); her brother-in-law the late Mike Williamson famously called Jesaulenko’s mark.

“Maureen Appleby ... you beauty!”

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rd 18 2011 Carl v Ess
Just watched this.
Yes, it's the one with Sky Walker's mark but that was just one highlight in a match where we killed Essendon* in the second half.

A year later Ratts was replaced by MM.

Say no more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:39 pm 
Wayne Johnston

A good read - Not sure which thread it should go in!

Why the 1970 grand final and not 1989 matters most

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why ... 54l1v.html

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

https://www.afl.com.au/video/391974/toyota-fixture-throwback-last-two-minutes-wells-wizardry?videoId=391974&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1587716100001

Can someone tell me why Wells was allowed to take his match-winning kick, ten in from the boundary line?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:

When I first engaged social media in 2002, via TC, it was the first time I can ever recall supporters (of any team) judging players by their haircuts. I also read the slurs on Big footy and on Blue view and CSC.... I'd never heard anything like it in public....maybe because I grew up in the era of the beginning of the revolution, where churches were no longer the centre of our universe, the pill was released, and with that free sexuality, freedoms and choice we have as a result today, and so on and so on.....but I grew up with the Bruce Doull hair style, how can anyone forget Tommy Alvin a few years later, Jezzas hair and sideys with a fag in his hand, Swan McKay's hair...everyone's hair...what about Vinnie Catoggios...and I can go on and on from the late 60's right through to the 90's, then something happened....the nerd look was in: glasses, short back n sides, suits, corporate rise...FMD....talk about pigeon holing and mono culture.

WTF. Bogans of the highest order is what I thought of supporters judging players by their @#$%&! haircuts. Who would've thought.

Haircuts, or pretty boy looks have nothing to do with footy, but players like Houla were subjected to such discrimination, after we slumped to the bottom of the ladder for the first time in our history, and it stuck... stuck with those who post on what is the right haircut to look like a professional footballer. I read it regularly. Never did I hear it in public, at parties etc etc.

That's how I see it, and it truly sickens me to read.

Houla was a silky skilled footballer from day one. He was adopted, with an arm of kerna, SOS, Kouta and the legends of the 99 GF rapped around him. He did become that 200 game player for Carlton he was earmarked to become, and was one of the very few stars we had who tried to carry the team after 2002. For that we should forget about the hair and the pretty boy looks and be respectful and grateful. He was a damn good player: one of the few we had in the naughties.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/391974/toyota-fixture-throwback-last-two-minutes-wells-wizardry?videoId=391974&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1587716100001

Can someone tell me why Wells was allowed to take his match-winning kick, ten in from the boundary line?

:lol: :lol: :lol: legendary. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:33 am 
Robert Walls

I've been watching the replays they have on Kayo, and, aside from the challenge of finding Carlton victories from the last 20 years that are worth showing, it's actually made me madder about the stupid things the people in charge of our club have done over the course of the same period. Also, I hate Mick Malthouse more and more every time they play a game from that era.