Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:48 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Sidefx wrote:
I honestly think the Lions were just playing with us for the first half.
Their midfield had not even fired up as per Zorko's comments at half time. Something like, we are lucky we have plenty of depth in the midfield. Referring to the upcoming second half and rotations.
It's going to be a long year.........again.
It will be interesting to see if we only focus on getting 1 gun mid again, instead of a few up and coming or good fringe mids. i.e. a Zak Jones, Ed Langdon, Adam Tomlinson or even a CEY to help out in the middle.
I still think we will regret not keeping Daisy this year also.

People think Newnes was a bad kick yesterday. Go watch Langdon play the other day.

Jones would be the only one I’d take for a midfield role from that lot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:51 pm 
Wayne Johnston

baz_baz wrote:
For mine, the hole in the loads argument is that most if not all clubs would have loaded up the training much the same as we have.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Im expecting us to have a slow start to the season but build through out the season and finish up fighting for one of the last spots in the eight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Looked to me like everything went to plan in the first half. Teague played around with some positions in the second half and we took our foot off the pedal. It was treated like the pre-season game that it was. Good signs from Martin, Dow and Gibbons. Walsh will have a huge year, reckon he’ll go up another level. Might be good for 28 touches a game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sin City wrote:
Looked to me like everything went to plan in the first half. Teague played around with some positions in the second half and we took our foot off the pedal. It was treated like the pre-season game that it was. Good signs from Martin, Dow and Gibbons. Walsh will have a huge year, reckon he’ll go up another level. Might be good for 28 touches a game.

Collingwood, Freo. Brisbane, Giants, North, Suns, Port, Dees don't seem to be treating them like practice matches. They have gone hard all game

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

The Normal One wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Their midfield had not even fired up as per Zorko's comments at half time. Something like, we are lucky we have plenty of depth in the midfield. Referring to the upcoming second half and rotations.
It will be interesting to see if we only focus on getting 1 gun mid again, instead of a few up and coming or good fringe mids. i.e. a Zak Jones, Ed Langdon, Adam Tomlinson or even a CEY to help out in the middle.

People think Newnes was a bad kick yesterday. Go watch Langdon play the other day.

All four of those names would do more damage than most of our midfield.
Langdon still had a lazy 25 touches at 76% eff. and Tomlinson had 32 at 72%.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
Didn't see the game but read all the comments. Went to bed quite depressed. Just watching it now and up to about 10 minutes into last quarter. Talk about alarmist panicking. Are you guys the ones buying up all the toilet paper? Up till a few minutes ago, we're holding our own against the team that finished 2nd last year. A few umpiring calls, some bounces, a touch more poise, and we'd he around even.

I know from here it goes downhill fast, but we're not as bad as some of you are saying.... IMHO!

:clap:
Absolutely.
Our midfield wilted as the game progressed but I fully expect us to be a different proposition is 11 days.
I liked some of Dows work. McGovern was very underwhelming but he does some great things off the ball. Look at Eddies second goal and watch McGoverns work on the wing. When most players would be running offensively to receive the ball, he runs 15 metres to put a beautiful block on for Dow.
DeKoning was good but he seems to struggle with depth perception. Too often we were looking for a tall option coming out of defence and he's standing 80 metres away expecting them to put it on his head. :?

It was great to see Doc out there. His kicking out of defence is magnificent. I thought Simmo and Newman were so-so but our tall backs were pretty good. Once again I fail to understand the Polson experiment.
Also, umpire number 16, where the @#$%&! has he come from? He's the male version of Eleni. Doesn't shut up, overrules other umpires with pissweak decisions and wants to be the game instead of adjudicating on it.
I went home a bit disappointed but I'm expecting a big effort against the Tigers. As for Jack Martin, he'll be a jet if we can keep him fit.

McGovern was terrible. Dow can’t kick neither can half the team
If we don’t improve in 11 days and the Tiggies are on we will lose easily.
Your optimism needs to be tinkered with some realism.

How about some perspective?
At times yesterday our centre bounce consisted on Dow, Fisher and Martin. Ed Curnow spent plenty of time on the wing and Cripps up forward.
Cameron kicked 2 or 3 on Polson who wont play on him next time. Murphy also spent plenty of time out of the midfield. As much as its frustrating, Teague has given the kids plenty of midfield time last week and this.
We still developed and gave opportunities whilst they played their best 22 in their best positions. Yet we were still within 3 and a bit goals with 5 minutes to go.
It's not the doom and gloom you thrive on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Langdon and Tomlinson are wingers. That's the least of our problems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

The fact that Hawthorn got Mitchell, O’Meara and Scully to rebuild their midfield while we watched says a bit about our mindset.

It’ll be another long year with the occasional joyous moment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Langdon and Tomlinson are wingers. That's the least of our problems.

Setterfield 23 disposals at 56% eff. and Newnes 20 disposals at 45%.
It might not be as important as inside mids, but it's the next problem right after it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
Didn't see the game but read all the comments. Went to bed quite depressed. Just watching it now and up to about 10 minutes into last quarter. Talk about alarmist panicking. Are you guys the ones buying up all the toilet paper? Up till a few minutes ago, we're holding our own against the team that finished 2nd last year. A few umpiring calls, some bounces, a touch more poise, and we'd he around even.

I know from here it goes downhill fast, but we're not as bad as some of you are saying.... IMHO!

Absolutely.
Our midfield wilted as the game progressed but I fully expect us to be a different proposition is 11 days.
I liked some of Dows work. McGovern was very underwhelming but he does some great things off the ball. Look at Eddies second goal and watch McGoverns work on the wing. When most players would be running offensively to receive the ball, he runs 15 metres to put a beautiful block on for Dow.
DeKoning was good but he seems to struggle with depth perception. Too often we were looking for a tall option coming out of defence and he's standing 80 metres away expecting them to put it on his head. :?

It was great to see Doc out there. His kicking out of defence is magnificent. I thought Simmo and Newman were so-so but our tall backs were pretty good. Once again I fail to understand the Polson experiment.
Also, umpire number 16, where the @#$%&! has he come from? He's the male version of Eleni. Doesn't shut up, overrules other umpires with pissweak decisions and wants to be the game instead of adjudicating on it.
I went home a bit disappointed but I'm expecting a big effort against the Tigers. As for Jack Martin, he'll be a jet if we can keep him fit.

At times yesterday our centre bounce consisted on Dow, Fisher and Martin. Ed Curnow spent plenty of time on the wing and Cripps up forward.
Cameron kicked 2 or 3 on Polson who wont play on him next time. Murphy also spent plenty of time out of the midfield. As much as its frustrating, Teague has given the kids plenty of midfield time last week and this.
We still developed and gave opportunities whilst they played their best 22 in their best positions. Yet we were still within 3 and a bit goals with 5 minutes to go.

So where are we going to finish
Ball park figure?
Initially I thought 6 th to last
I’ll now say 12 th to 18 th
As I have said for years the recruiting is the problem
SOS s last 3 years were below average
Some of the trades could end up being diabolical
Particularly the McGovern trade unless he pulls his finger out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Our midfield is very thin - it looks like Patrick Cripps has lost about 5 kilos over the summer.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:21 am 
formerly King Kenny

Sidefx wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

That’s where the efficiency % is a load of shit. Langdon was terrible, even the commentators called him out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:28 am 
formerly King Kenny

DesEnglish wrote:
The fact that Hawthorn got Mitchell, O’Meara and Scully to rebuild their midfield while we watched says a bit about our mindset.

How is Hawthorn going? 3 players added to the old mans club. Worpell the only young kid in the midfield.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Our midfield is very thin - it looks like Patrick Cripps has lost about 5 kilos over the summer.

:lol: :lol:

@#$%&! you're funny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:

Wingard too

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:03 am 
John Nicholls

bondiblue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

Wingard too

And if a team who has won a number of flags in the past decade can do this, surely the system is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:09 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

Wingard too

And if a team who has won a number of flags in the past decade can do this, surely the system is broken.

Exactly.

This is what the AFL choose to call Equalisation.

They can call it anything they like, but there's no doubt Hawks, Cats and Bumbers have been given an armchair ride over the last 15 years in so many ways.

Looks like the Bumbers might get the season opener too, majority of Cats season is made up of home games and easy fixture, Hawks...see above.

AFL Commission :screwy:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:47 am 
Geoff Southby

The Normal One wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

That’s where the efficiency % is a load of shit. Langdon was terrible, even the commentators called him out.

Without watching the game (and I probably won't), I will have to take your word for it.
Either way, without nit picking my comment you get the point I was trying to make.
We have missed out on a lot of 'fringe' talent over the past couple of years that we desperately need. Mainly, due to putting all our eggs in the wrong basket (hindsight of course), either for marketing or supporter morale.

On the flip side, let's hope Dow has a big year. So too Walsh, SPS and Setters can sort himself out too. It might just hold back the flood gates for a year and then we get another shot at topping up the middle with some mature talent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:52 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
moshe25 wrote:

Absolutely.

I hope we played hard and as we wanted to play in the first half and then experimented a bit more in the 2nd half.
The commentators all noted how little Neale had of the ball early I think with E Curnow on him. Then Neale fires up in the 2nd half, I think Curnow no longer on him (but I'm not sure if that's true).
So, it was definitely dispiritiing in the 2nd half but hopefully part of the plan was to use the practice matches to try a few things that we won't be able to do once next Thursday rolls around.
Hopefully.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:36 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
moshe25 wrote:

Absolutely.

I hope we played hard and as we wanted to play in the first half and then experimented a bit more in the 2nd half.
The commentators all noted how little Neale had of the ball early I think with E Curnow on him. Then Neale fires up in the 2nd half, I think Curnow no longer on him (but I'm not sure if that's true).
So, it was definitely dispiritiing in the 2nd half but hopefully part of the plan was to use the practice matches to try a few things that we won't be able to do once next Thursday rolls around.
Hopefully.
That's the way I saw it.
Post match 'reading between the lines' coaches were very happy with first half.. Tried some things on in the second

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next