Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:59 am 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
The womens team will keep my spirits up while I await the arrival of the mens team. :smile:

I'm not that desperate; yet. :banghead: :smoking:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:03 am 
Stephen Silvagni

CFC8795 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
The womens team will keep my spirits up while I await the arrival of the mens team. :smile:

Don't you appreciate effort, passion, discipline, a team mindset, a clear game plan, grunt, speed, xfactor ...?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:06 am 
Rod Ashman

AGRO wrote:
Don’t know about “The Carlton Show” but, I’m pretty sure there will be plenty of episodes of “The Shit Show” to catch up on.

Lol. Thank you. Very helpful. :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 am 
Rod Ashman

The disposal efficiency rate of Dow was woeful 39% I think. Newnes and Setterfield not much better. It’s gunns be another long year unless this improves dramatically :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:22 am 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Don't you appreciate effort, passion, discipline, a team mindset, a clear game plan, grunt, speed, xfactor ...?

Of course I do. That’s why I like to take my kids to Auskick on a Saturday morning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:38 am 
Stephen Silvagni

CFC8795 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Of course I do. That’s why I like to take my kids to Auskick on a Saturday morning.

It's interesting mindsets like yours... a very limited way of thinking. You're denying yourself enjoyment for some strange backward reason. Each to their own I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

baz_baz wrote:
The disposal efficiency rate of Dow was woeful 39% I think. Newnes and Setterfield not much better. It’s gunns be another long year unless this improves dramatically :roll:

Dow doesn't have the poise and perhaps confidence in his own ability as Walsh does, and a lot of his disposals were rushed, kicking it forward, but blindly. DE% will suffer or it.

Dows first quarter was exceptional.

Setterfield had highs and lows throughout the game. Some good disposal, some bad. He needs to fix that up.

Newnes also had a great first quarter playing on the opposite wing to Setters, but tired badly towards the 4th.

I think the training loads last week and this week must have had something to do with players dropping off both weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 am 
John Nicholls

In a clearing play out of our D50, Dow hurriedly kicked the ball into Jones' head.... happened right in front of us. Ball glanced off but still traveled about 35m. Someone joked the kick probably would have done that anyway with or without Jones noggin in the way.

His kicking is a liability and it has/will cost us games both with missed scoring opportunities and with turnovers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Anyone bitterly disappointed with yesterday's performance needs to look at the first half again and the first half of the 3rd quarter.
This will give a good idea of what we CAN do.

Brisbane kicked 4 of their 6 goals in the first half in red time.

Carlton didn't rotate players to keep give anyone the impression Russell cared much about freshening up players during the game, and there was a lot of players playing plenty of minutes and others not so, excluding Gov and Marshy who were only going to get a half each.

Murphy and Ed hardly contested the centre bounce, and Cripps only had 79% game time, where normally that would exceed 90% TOG.

Players looked tired towards the end of quarters, and midway through the 3rd they were dropping off intensity and speed, and we bled goals.

If, Andrew Russell designed to give the whole team heavy loads for the last 3 weeks that may explain the drop off too.

If, anyone believes the team hasn't been conditioned properly by Andrew Russell, have a look at his resume again.

I believe that what happened yesterday was by design: Teague's and Russell's design.

My expectation is players will be freshened up with lighter loads after this week priming them for round 1.

Take a breather. Think about it. Better still look at the last qtr then go to the 1st like I did and you will see what this team is capable of.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
In a clearing play out of our D50, Dow hurriedly kicked the ball into Jones' head.... happened right in front of us. Ball glanced off but still traveled about 35m. Someone joked the kick probably would have done that anyway with or without Jones noggin in the way.

His kicking is a liability and it has/will cost us games both with missed scoring opportunities and with turnovers.

Like all players, ow has to play to his strengths: that's the Teague mantra.

Dow delivered a few good passes at full tilt and hit his team mate on the tit.
I think he's improved his kicking, but more needs to be done.

Rushed kicks to anyone is not the way our game should be played especially when Harry and Charlie are not there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:28 am 
Rod Ashman

I hope you’re right bondiblue.
Go Blues! Bring on the Tuggers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:35 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Didn't see the game but read all the comments. Went to bed quite depressed. Just watching it now and up to about 10 minutes into last quarter. Talk about alarmist panicking. Are you guys the ones buying up all the toilet paper? Up till a few minutes ago, we're holding our own against the team that finished 2nd last year. A few umpiring calls, some bounces, a touch more poise, and we'd he around even.

I know from here it goes downhill fast, but we're not as bad as some of you are saying.... IMHO!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 am 
Craig Bradley

Scary part was that we played well for parts of the game but lost the rest by 15 scoring shots... which is the same problem we've had for years... just can't compete hard enough for long enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

moshe25 wrote:
Didn't see the game but read all the comments. Went to bed quite depressed. Just watching it now and up to about 10 minutes into last quarter. Talk about alarmist panicking. Are you guys the ones buying up all the toilet paper? Up till a few minutes ago, we're holding our own against the team that finished 2nd last year. A few umpiring calls, some bounces, a touch more poise, and we'd he around even.

I know from here it goes downhill fast, but we're not as bad as some of you are saying.... IMHO!

Love the toilet paper analogy

As per Bondi, better team for 2.5 qtrs and competed for the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter
before the Brisbane procession in the last. Not sure if that was rotations, depth, fitness etc..

We’re definitely a little one paced in the middle and could do with some more run off the half back flank
Hopefully SPS can help with that

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

moshe25 wrote:

I don't often say this but I agree with you Moshe
If they bring the intensity shown in the first half and a bit for the whole game we will match it with anyone
We need to stop giving away free kicks at wrong end of ground - even if most were a little suss they need to try eliminate this
It drives me nuts but when ever a Carlton player locks the ball in and has a crowd of players stopping him from releasing we get penalised but when the situation is reversed it always seem to be a ball up
What I noticed watching the GWS V Richmond game is the confidence the players have at having the shot on goal which is sadly lacking in our team
this will come with confidence but you shouldn't have players 40 meters out looking to pass off or give handball to someone running past .

I am usually just shy of Keogh in the negative Nelly department but I was quite excited with what I saw in the first half

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:

:clap:
Absolutely.
Our midfield wilted as the game progressed but I fully expect us to be a different proposition is 11 days.
I liked some of Dows work. McGovern was very underwhelming but he does some great things off the ball. Look at Eddies second goal and watch McGoverns work on the wing. When most players would be running offensively to receive the ball, he runs 15 metres to put a beautiful block on for Dow.
DeKoning was good but he seems to struggle with depth perception. Too often we were looking for a tall option coming out of defence and he's standing 80 metres away expecting them to put it on his head. :?

It was great to see Doc out there. His kicking out of defence is magnificent. I thought Simmo and Newman were so-so but our tall backs were pretty good. Once again I fail to understand the Polson experiment.
Also, umpire number 16, where the @#$%&! has he come from? He's the male version of Eleni. Doesn't shut up, overrules other umpires with pissweak decisions and wants to be the game instead of adjudicating on it.
I went home a bit disappointed but I'm expecting a big effort against the Tigers. As for Jack Martin, he'll be a jet if we can keep him fit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

I honestly think the Lions were just playing with us for the first half.
Their midfield had not even fired up as per Zorko's comments at half time. Something like, we are lucky we have plenty of depth in the midfield. Referring to the upcoming second half and rotations.
It's going to be a long year.........again.
It will be interesting to see if we only focus on getting 1 gun mid again, instead of a few up and coming or good fringe mids. i.e. a Zak Jones, Ed Langdon, Adam Tomlinson or even a CEY to help out in the middle.
I still think we will regret not keeping Daisy this year also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
moshe25 wrote:

:clap:
Absolutely.
Our midfield wilted as the game progressed but I fully expect us to be a different proposition is 11 days.
I liked some of Dows work. McGovern was very underwhelming but he does some great things off the ball. Look at Eddies second goal and watch McGoverns work on the wing. When most players would be running offensively to receive the ball, he runs 15 metres to put a beautiful block on for Dow.
DeKoning was good but he seems to struggle with depth perception. Too often we were looking for a tall option coming out of defence and he's standing 80 metres away expecting them to put it on his head. :?

It was great to see Doc out there. His kicking out of defence is magnificent. I thought Simmo and Newman were so-so but our tall backs were pretty good. Once again I fail to understand the Polson experiment.
Also, umpire number 16, where the @#$%&! has he come from? He's the male version of Eleni. Doesn't shut up, overrules other umpires with pissweak decisions and wants to be the game instead of adjudicating on it.
I went home a bit disappointed but I'm expecting a big effort against the Tigers. As for Jack Martin, he'll be a jet if we can keep him fit.

McGovern was terrible. Dow can’t kick neither can half the team
If we don’t improve in 11 days and the Tiggies are on we will lose easily.
Your optimism needs to be tinkered with some realism.

At the moment the Gov is the most overpaid worker in Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hornet wrote:
Scary part was that we played well for parts of the game but lost the rest by 15 scoring shots... which is the same problem we've had for years... just can't compete hard enough for long enough.

I don't think its a case of "Can't"

I think its a case of "Didn't"

We shouldve improved our strength and stamina from last year after an additional preseason for our young players

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

For mine, the hole in the loads argument is that most if not all clubs would have loaded up the training much the same as we have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next