Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Boring Carlton stories
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:02 am 
Bruce Doull

Inspired by verbs' story about Daisy's cousin.

I chatted to my cousin's husband at our family Christmas gathering on the weekend. His boss, a huge Carlton fan, recently played golf with Cain Liddle and SOS came up in conversation. The boss refused to pass any information on to my cousin's husband, so he then wasn't able to tell me anything interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I have a mate who is committed Carlton supporter. He goes to most games.
I had a conversation a few weeks ago and he was expressing concerns about Doherty getting back. Doherty!
Seriously, WTF! And Gibson, instead of Gibbons!
Seriously, WTF!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:55 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I know Dylan Shiel’s father’s cousin and she calls him Dylan Shiels. Apparently the cousins haven’t spoken to each other for about 20 years but the whole family is crazy Carlton mad. (Except for Dylan).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Roll on 2020. :thumbsup:
Happy New Year everyone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:11 pm 
www.blueseum.org

The earthen mounds that surround the Princes Park ground originated from the soil that came as a result of the boring and digging of the Coburg sewerage system over 100 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

The Blueseum wrote:
The earthen mounds that surround the Princes Park ground originated from the soil that came as a result of the boring and digging of the Coburg sewerage system over 100 years ago.

I remember running up those things & chasing Magpies away with my then 2 y.o.

True (boring) story!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:03 am 
Robert Walls

I met CK95, Tyrant, and Synbad at a pre-season game against Sydney at PP long ago. But I didn’t spend as much time with them as I could have, as I was with friends from real life.

We won. I was hungover. Synbad was happy but cautious. Actually, this is turning into quite the story.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

The Blueseum wrote:

Which reminds men....Surely everyone has a boring story about telling an acquaintance time and again that it is “Princes Park”....and yet they continue to say “Princess Park” ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yup....

my good friend from Hervey Bay sub-divided an
estate up there...Bradley crt...Kernahan rd etc...and
somehow the council turned Prince's Park drv
into Princess...!

we laugh now...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

tommi wrote:
Yup....

my good friend from Hervey Bay sub-divided an
estate up there...Bradley crt...Kernahan rd etc...and
somehow the council turned Prince's Park drv
into Princess...!

we laugh now...!

kindest regards tommi

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

HTP wrote:
I met CK95, Tyrant, and Synbad at a pre-season game against Sydney at PP long ago. But I didn’t spend as much time with them as I could have, as I was with friends from real life.

We won. I was hungover. Synbad was happy but cautious. Actually, this is turning into quite the story.

I thought I met you at the Parkview one night? Preseason night match against North, Gibbs' debut IIRC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:23 pm 
Robert Walls

Sydney was the first time baby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Parkspew was with Rhys87 from mems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

In 1995, North Launceston FC had a “come as your hero” night and it was “requested” I go as David Rhys-Jones, the club’s then coach. I declined.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:48 pm 
John James

verbs wrote:
In 1995, North Launceston FC had a “come as your hero” night and it was “requested” I go as David Rhys-Jones, the club’s then coach. I declined.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 am 
Ken Hunter

..was talking to awww Stevens on Monday night, he thinks we'll go alright this year, though he's also concerned what might happen if the season starts poorly..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

We, as a family, drove up from canberra to watch the blues in Sydney. Carlton were quite good at winning in Sydney back then. As we were driving to the game my dad spotted col Kinnear withdrawing some Cashola from an atm. He jumped out of the car. Not to rob him but to say gday. My dad used to be a small time carlton man before he had kids. Col came over to the car and and said whose gonna win and we went wild in the car . Small things amuse young kids (and small minds).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:42 am 
Bruce Comben

Was just at a wedding with paddy cripps cousin. Gave me nothing so fits the bill. Perfectly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:09 am 
John James

From Herald Sun, not sure where to post this, so here will do.

Eight reasons to get excited about Carlton in 2020
DECEMBER 29, 2019
Carlton endured another season in the bottom four, but 2019 wasn’t an entire waste.

Six of the Blues’ seven wins came in the back half of the season after David Teague replaced Brendon Bolton as coach, and they can carry that optimism into 2020.

Here’s eight reasons to get excited about the Blues.

Watch over 50 sports LIVE on Kayo! Stream to your TV, mobile, tablet or computer. Just $25/month, cancel anytime. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

1. 2019 FINISH
The Blues finished a lowly 16th on the ladder last year, but their end to the season gave plenty of cause for optimism among Carlton fans. If you were to re-do the ladder for only the last 11 games of the season, you would find the Blues went 6-5 to be the ninth-best team in that period. That surge came after David Teague was installed as coach in place of Brendon Bolton. In that span, the Blues also lifted their average score from 67 points per game to 79. If Teague can continue that rate of improvement, the Blues will be well placed to push for a finals berth in 2020.

2. DOCHERTY’S RETURN
Given he has not played an AFL game since 2017, it’s easy to forget just what a star Sam Docherty is when he’s up and going. Consecutive anterior cruciate ligament tears during pre-season have robbed the Blues of a seriously good defender and leader. The hope is he will be fit and firing for Round 1. In 2017, Docherty played every game and averaged 27.9 disposals, 5.7 rebound 50s, 504m gained, 6.3 intercept possessions and 3.3 tackles per match. He finished second in Carlton’s best-and-fairest that year behind Marc Murphy. Docherty is still just 26 and his football smarts and leadership should make a huge difference when he returns to the Blues’ defensive half.

Sam Docherty is hoping to put the past two years behind him. Picture: Michael Klein
Sam Docherty is hoping to put the past two years behind him. Picture: Michael Klein
3. BETTS’ RETURN
Yes, Eddie Betts is 33 and his best years are seemingly behind him. But the livewire forward can still do plenty that other players can’t. Betts started his career at Carlton in 2005 but has spent the past six seasons at Adelaide. He booted 37 goals for the Crows last season, down from a career-high 75 majors in 2016, and averaged 12 disposals, 1.2 score assists and 5.6 score involvements per match. The Blues have been crying out for a quality small forward and snapped up the three-time All-Australian dirt cheap for only a future fourth-round pick during the trade period. If Betts can bring some pressure and kick 30-plus goals next season, that will be seen as a big win.

Eddie Betts is back in navy blue. Picture: Jason Edwards
Eddie Betts is back in navy blue. Picture: Jason Edwards
4. FORWARD LINE
Even putting Betts to one side, the Blues’ forward line is certainly an exciting one given the three key forwards in Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay and Mitch McGovern. The trio only played eight games together last season as they all missed matches through injury. All three stand 191cm or more, with McKay the tallest at 204cm. McKay kicked 26 goals from 20 games in 2019 and McGovern booted 22 majors from 16. Curnow, who kicked 18 goals from 11 matches, could face a slightly delayed start to the season after a November knee injury.

5. JACK MARTIN
Many astute football brains have described Martin as the best junior footballer they have ever seen, including his new captain Patrick Cripps who was selected in the same draft. Martin was snapped up by Gold Coast with pick No.1 in the 2012 mini-draft but found his way to the Blues for nothing in the recent pre-season draft. While yet to live up to his underage talent at AFL level, the 24-year-old averaged 18.1 disposals, 3.4 clearances and 3.8 score involvements per game for the Suns last season to rank as the 16th-best midfield-forward in the league. He kicked only eight goals from 16 matches, but produced a career-high 24 majors from 22 matches in 2017. It will be intriguing to see what he can do in the No.21 jumper in 2020.

Patrick Cripps says he can go to another level in 2020. Picture: AAP
Patrick Cripps says he can go to another level in 2020. Picture: AAP
6. PATRICK CRIPPS
The only elite-rated player at Carlton, captain Cripps is already a superstar. Can he get better? He thinks so. Cripps revealed in November he had dropped between two and three kilograms during his off-season break in a bid to raise his game. Cripps is coming off a campaign in which he averaged career-high numbers for metres gained (270m per game), goals (0.7), score assists (1.1) and ground ball gets (10.6). He averaged his most clearances (8.5) since 2016 and the second-most disposals (28) of his career. For a player who finished equal-third in the Brownlow Medal last season and has earned consecutive All-Australian honours, the prospect of further improvement from the 24-year-old is scary for opposition clubs.

7. THIRD-YOUNGEST LIST
There is no shortage of upside when you have the third-youngest list in the competition as the Blues do entering 2020. Carlton has an average age of 23.55 years. Only Gold Coast and the Brisbane Lions are younger. Runaway 2019 Rising Star Award winner Sam Walsh is still only 19, the highly-rated Liam Stocker will start next season aged 20, 2017 No.3 draft pick Paddy Dow is also 20 and Zac Fisher and Sam Petrevski-Seton are both 21. Then there is a pair of top-20 draft picks that also come into the mix in Brodie Kemp and Sam Philp. Talk about Young Talent Time.

8. JACK NEWNES ADDITION
Martin was not the only experienced player picked up by Carlton during the trade and free agency period, with St Kilda wingman Jack Newnes also finding a new home at Princes Park as a delisted free agent. The 26-year-old joins the club with 155 games of AFL experience behind him and he averaged 17.3 disposals across 20 matches for the Saints last season. The Blues see Newnes as a mature body and elite runner who can help through the middle of the ground.

CHAMPION DATA SAYS
The Blues showed a lot of positive signs under David Teague last season — their midfield improved significantly and ranked fourth for contested possession differential (+4.7) and clearance differential (+3.5) from Round 12 onwards. It will be interesting to see what they can produce under a full season with Teague along with recruits in Jack Martin, Eddie Betts and Jack Newnes.

HOW THE BLUES ARE TRACKING
TAB ODDS
Premiership: $51

Top 8: $4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

Phewwww.....

how about this weather...!

reminds me of that time it was hot at
the footy...!

kindest regards tommi