Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I'd like to see those selected for R1 to be absolutely cherry ripe for a big performance and not underdone or been on long injury layoffs.

Therefore a few big names may miss by best team for R1.

With another preseason under their belts our list has quite a bit of depth anyway so I reckon whatever team gets out on the G will give the tigers a run for their money.

B. Simpson Weitering Newman
HB. Plowman Jones Newnes
C. SPS Murphy Setterfield
HF. Martin JSilvagni Fisher
F. Betts McGovern DeKoning

R. Kreuzer Cripps Walsh

I. Cuningham Stocker Gibbons Ed

Still to come back - Dow Docherty Charlie McKay Williamson O'Brien Marchbank Levi Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
I'd like to see those selected for R1 to be absolutely cherry ripe for a big performance and not underdone or been on long injury layoffs.

With another preseason under their belts our list has quite a bit of depth anyway so I reckon whatever team gets out on the G will give the tigers a run for their money.

HB. Plowman Jones Newnes

R. Kreuzer Cripps Walsh

Still to come back - Dow Docherty Charlie McKay Williamson O'Brien Marchbank Levi Kennedy

Good team except with 4 runners on the bench I would change Cuningham for Levi. Still have 3 runners and 1 tall.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:

HB. Plowman Jones Newnes

R. Kreuzer Cripps Walsh

I’ll be very surprised if they pick TDK ahead of Casboult early in the season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 pm 
Bob Chitty

aboynamedsue wrote:

I’ll be very surprised if they pick TDK ahead of Casboult early in the season.

As would I, but I note Rexy has him in the "still to come back" list. Is that meant to suggest he is coming back from injury? I hadn't heard of one - then again nor have I heard of injuries to several of the others but they may be off-season cleanups etc I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Round 1:

We win

The end...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:

HB. Plowman Jones Newnes

R. Kreuzer Cripps Walsh

Wan't there some tweet business involving JSOS today? Geez I hope he isnt too upset and lets it get the better of him..
Jack's in my team too ... for now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:53 pm 
Banned

Charlie not going to be ready round 1?

Heard he will be ready to play in praccy games. Should be good to go in Feb but will have no pre season behind him so not expecting much from Charlie early in the year.

Gov needs to perform early rounds in the season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Let 2020 begin.

I'm assuming Charlie, Harry and maybe Marchy may have interupted preseason.
We can cover them with Casboult JSOS and Newnes...TDK? :sly:
Still 14 weeks before the start of the season to get fit. 3 1/2 months. Plausible.

Like the sound of Kreuzer Cripps Setterfield and Walsh as our starting midfield group.

Jones and Weitering will be unbeatable. Watch out Jack and Lynch.

Betts, Martin and a brand new Gov will set alight the forwardline.

Fish and Cuningham played well in round 1 this year.

Tigers couldnt find a player to cover Harry....hope he is fit.

Docherty. nuff said.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:58 am 
Ken Hunter

..I think a starting midfield quartet of krooz, cripps, walsh and setterfield is too 'weak'.. ..not enough experience nor seasoned enough to be the main midfield set-up.. ..the talent is there, but not strong enough as a collective..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..I think a starting midfield quartet of krooz, cripps, walsh and setterfield is too 'weak'.. ..not enough experience nor seasoned enough to be the main midfield set-up.. ..the talent is there, but not strong enough as a collective..

Lets see what happens over the next 3 1/2 months.
I don't think 'weak' is an appropriate description of Cripps, or Walsh and Setterfield has stepped up from last year and doing all the inside work, as a starting mid, at training.

It sounds like the abovementioned (other than Kreuzer) have been most impressive thus far.

I'm sure Murphy and Ed will not be too far away ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

..half of that starting midfield group is still very inexperienced.. ..approx. 50 games between walsh and setterfield.. ..you can't carry two out of four players in the starting midfield group.... ..rotate them through the midfield certainly, but not as starting mids and definitely not at the same time..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..half of that starting midfield group is still very inexperienced.. ..approx. 50 games between walsh and setterfield.. ..you can't carry two out of four players in the starting midfield group.... ..rotate them through the midfield certainly, but not as starting mids and definitely not at the same time..

Cripps carried us since he was 22yo.

Setterfield turns 22 in 2020 and Walsh is a freak.
Lets see if Setters steps up as he's showing he has at preseason training thus far.

Walsh is a freak. Nuff said.
Walsh was born Experienced.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

..bolton tried it last year, we all saw how well it went.. ....and we'll break cripps this way if we continue to force him to do all the heavy lifting on his own..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..bolton tried it last year, we all saw how well it went.. ....and we'll break cripps this way if we continue to force him to do all the heavy lifting on his own..

Good point, but 12 months is a long time ago.

One season and a preseason later, and you would expect development and improvement in strength and fitness, especially after a full preseason with Russell.

I expect Cripps Murphy and Ed in the midfield with at least one of Walsh and Setterfield coming in from the wings to add to midfield numbers.

Setterfield will be in a different space in 2020. In 2019 he came in after a year off with an ACL and no preseasons under his belt. Against that backdrop he did really well for a 21yo.

I think Cripps is a big boy.
All this talk we will break him...I just don't get it.
He is bigger and stronger than others and beats opponents up in a 2 against 1 situation.
If opposition double team Cripps, (refer to Saints game 2nd half) it leaves Walsh or Murphy on their own...and we say thanks for the freebies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

..in my opinion, it takes a few years to become 'seasoned'.. ..setterfield was coming back from an acl injury, most players doing so are on record admitting ot takes at least a year to ge back to their nest footy.. ..and he never even had that base to work off/towards.. ..as for walsh, sure he's a freak in regards to being a running machine (and footy smarts), but he's still just a kid.. ....you still needed hardened bodies around the contest.. ....we have plenty pf talent, but much of it is still 'green'.. ....ed and murphy should still be playing primarily midfield.. ....along with the ruck, i'd be expecting cripps, murphy and ed to be racking up the most midfield minutes.. ....i'd also like to be seeing sps and martin get midfield time.. ..i think they're in the middle group between our onball veterans and the green shoots.. ....if they can be part of the midfield rotations, it'll go a long way towards boosting our performance..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 am 
Rod Ashman

I am super keen to see how Setterfield, SPS and Dow progress this year and also how Martin fits in. And Harry. I think these are the keys to our rise over the next few years all for slightly different reasons.
Setterfield should now be ready to contribute more consistently and with greater impact after 12 months where I honestly thought he exceeded my expectations - played the whole year, modest contributions with a few spikes and not much that was terrible.
SPS and McKay both had solid seasons but now they need to frank that and also take another step forward.
I believe Dow can become the player we thought he would be and expect him to have a breakout year this year which will justify us picking him ahead of Cerra and LDU (IIRC).
On the other hand, I expect Walsh will continue on where he left off but I’m not expecting a big stride forward from last year, given the high standard he already exhibited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Its 2020 and this year's Classic Season Opener between Carlton and Richmond is played in 11 weeks.

I hope Andrew Russell continues to hold back injured players, err on the side of caution.

11 weeks is a long time to get over preseason minor ops: not sure who they all are.

I'd want players selected to play are ready by week 1 March.

Big question marks on Charlie and Harry.
Marchbank took the neck brace off a month ago.

None gave us any reason to think they would be ready in round 1.
Marchbank imo the only one likely, but he'd want to put a body of work in over xmas.

This game is going to be big.

With the introduction of 'new' players in Docherty Betts Martin Williamson & Newnes we add class.

The return of injured players in Jones and Cuningham.

A fit and firing and hungry McGovern and Levi.

8-9 New players should make a huge impact and cover for Curnow McKay and Marchbank.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Its 2020 and this year's Classic Season Opener between Carlton and Richmond is played in 11 weeks.

I hope Andrew Russell continues to hold back injured players, err on the side of caution.

11 weeks is a long time to get over preseason minor ops: not sure who they all are.

I'd want players selected to play are ready by week 1 March.

Big question marks on Charlie and Harry.
Marchbank took the neck brace off a month ago.

None gave us any reason to think they would be ready in round 1.
Marchbank imo the only one likely, but he'd want to put a body of work in over xmas.

This game is going to be big.

With the introduction of 'new' players in Docherty Betts Martin Williamson & Newnes we add class.

The return of injured players in Jones and Cuningham.

A fit and firing and hungry McGovern and Levi.

8-9 New players should make a huge impact and cover for Curnow McKay and Marchbank.
Agree with all of that... except about Newnes adding (contributing) class... Hope I'm wrong.
At best I see him as a strong bodied backup...

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Lots of talk about Charlie missing all of next season and also Harry.
Rd 1 might be a bit of a fizzer if they are both unavailable.
I don't see Jack as a CHF. I'd prefer Eddie. At least he has experience there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 am 
Rod Ashman

Appears that Curnow has been ruled out for Round 1 and sounds like a few games after that too.
Good. I’d hate for them to be rushing him back. Also, I am no medico but I get the impression his patella was not healing all that well and I suspect that without his ‘stairs’ accident he would have done some additional damage early in the season and required the same surgery but just later.

Article says Marchbank will be ready for Round 1 and implies Harry as well.
I suspect Harry will play but if not, Casboult and McGovern can hold up the pockets with Eddie holding down CHF as usual.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... be70528235

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next