Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

chubbyruss wrote:
Silvagni's parting swipe at Blues leadership

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sil ... 53g69.html

Who the hell is Liddle to treat Silvagni like this?

Who is he? Seriously, who is Liddle?

This part of the article piqued my interest:-

"when Liddle became involved in list management issues, particularly the attempted recruitment of Richmond premiership player Brandon Ellis."

Wth? Why would Carlton need Brandon Ellis? If Liddle was pushing for Ellis...clearly he is out of his depth.

The backline is the one part of the side that actually has a wide range of options. They would have had to play overs to get him and he's got 2-3 years left on his career.

I wouldn't even know why they considered him. Ellis was dropped during the year, and didn't even make the top 11 in the b&f...NOT EVEN TOP 10 in their B&F...
why in hell would they need Ellis?

Surely this wasn't Silvagni's idea...by the sound of it it was Liddle's idea. And Silvagni didn't agree.

So you have (by the sound of it) a CEO getting involved in recruiting...and stuffing up the plans that would have been in place by experts to get midfielders (yes, I know Ellis can play on the wing) but I mean inner- midfielders...ruck rovers etc....and forwards.

If Liddle thinks he knows better than Silvagni in terms of spotting talent then that guy is fruit-loops loony.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

I’m sure there’s complexities we’re not privy to, but on the face of it this hasn’t been well handled by the club. I don’t have a strong view either way about whether SOS should stay or go, but once the decision was made then Liddle should have managed an orderly exit. SOS was never going to go quietly but a gun CEO would have made it happen with less PR damage and loss of goodwill. I reckon Liddle has put himself under pressure in the process.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:14 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

And some people question why I don’t buy a membership these days.

@#$%&! rank amateurs the lot of them.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:53 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Disappointing but I know MLG would put the club first whatever decision is made

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Jeez the leaky sneaker is doing quite a bit of damage to the club he/she supposedly 'supports'. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

It’s disappointing how the club has handled this. Who knows the reasons and maybe they are valid. But it just looks poor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
I’m sure there’s complexities we’re not privy to, but on the face of it this hasn’t been well handled by the club. I don’t have a strong view either way about whether SOS should stay or go, but once the decision was made then Liddle should have managed an orderly exit. SOS was never going to go quietly but a gun CEO would have made it happen with less PR damage and loss of goodwill. I reckon Liddle has put himself under pressure in the process.

Agreed.

I'm not blind enough to think SOS can do no wrong but there's something about this that doesn't seem right.

Without having any solid info either way I don't like the sound of Liddle trying to recruit Ellis. At best he's been given a mandate to work above SOS' reach and at worst he's actively white anted the club's list manager.

A lot of gloss has come away from Liddle's shine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

We’re only hearing one side of the story

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:

Not sure we’re even hearing that yet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Exactly.

Pretty sure Liddle was "too" focussed on his baby, being membership.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

Clearly internally some didn’t like his recruiting
Typical of Carlton
Too many big egos never makes for a dysfunctional workplace
SOSs legacy will play out in the next couple of years with how the team performs

Last edited by keogh on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
Jeez the leaky sneaker is doing quite a bit of damage to the club he/she supposedly 'supports'. :roll:

Not enough damage. A summer of in-fighting and a CEO falling on his sword is exactly what the club needs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:28 am 
Rod Ashman

Why ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:58 am 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:

We haven’t even heard one side of the story as Neither SOS or the club has made a statement. All we are hearing is media speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:07 am 
Craig Bradley

You guys are forgetting the elephant in the room the article is from the Pooper Scooper who regularly makes things up
Remember Mason Cox being traded in the trade period
Remember a Kreuzer leaving carlton
Would not believe most if not all he writes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:08 am 
Craig Bradley

You guys are forgetting the elephant in the room the article is from the Pooper Scooper who regularly makes things up
Remember Mason Cox being traded in the trade period
Remember a Kreuzer leaving carlton
Would not believe most if not all he writes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 am 
Stephen Kernahan

doofdoof wrote:
Why ?

Historically, it's what Carlton does. Always has. Success comes from it...but roadblocks have been put in place to ensure you can't move directors on, can't vote for them, have to have a President for 12 years and supporters that dont have a voice. We've a CEO who is well out of his depth, doesn't belong at Carlton and has shot himself in the foot by ousting Silvagni. The club is handcuffed to its inept leadership and a constitution that doesn't suit 21st century innovation. It has desperately clinged to past successes while marketing itself as looking to the future yet has limited direction on how to achieve the plans it puts in place.

Like him or loathe him, SOS is seemingly the only person in the place who had a plan. Sure, it had approval from those at the top, but they just rode closely behind him...much like the forwards of the 90's. The place needs a massive shake-up, but MLG's legacy is that it's unlikely to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 am 
Bob Chitty

Disappointing how this has been handled and that SOS won’t be around to reap the rewards from his efforts. The list has been transformed from a complete and utter mess to very promising and youthful. Yes SOS didn’t get everything right (especially some of the later picks) but his overall body of work is strong. I got the feeling that SOS wasn’t one to hang around for life (like Wells at Geelong). He’s in the business of building lists from ground zero through aggressive trading and strong early drafting, like he also did at GWS. I only hope Liddle knows what he’s doing and can find a good replacement. He’s virtually staking his reputation on it by taking on SOS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:36 am 
Trevor Keogh

Not to sound like Captain Obvious but the whole thing should have been managed better given SOS's standing at the club and the fact that he has two sons on our list. No name is more synonymous with an AFL club like the Silvagni name to Carlton. Just seems like an unforced error from a PR perspective and takes some of the gloss of what's been a good six months for the club. I have no doubt that SOS can be stubborn but I will say in management everyone has a lane. SOS is the list manager and that is his area of expertise. The CEO needs to be humble enough to know when to defer and not pretend to be the repository of all wisdom. He has now needlessly put a target on his back by taking on a favorite son. The Ellis thing just screams amateur hour and SOS has every right to feel aggrieved if what has been written about that failed courtship is true.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

fjanyc wrote:
The Ellis thing just screams amateur hour and SOS has every right to feel aggrieved if what has been written about that failed courtship is true.

And that is the key. If it's true.
FWIW, I doubt it. The CEO isn't going to be that foolish. IMHO, the speculation about the Betts acquisition makes more sense. I believe Teague and Liddle were keen on Betts coming to the club and SOS wasn't. I'm happy enough with the outcome and perhaps SOS didn't like not getting his way. But I suspect it was Teagues wishes that determined the outcome, not Liddle.
The days of one person running the club are gone and rightly so. We have a football department. Not a dictatorship. I'm bemused by the references to old Carlton. Old Carlton is 2004. Anything before that is ancient history that cannot be re-created without working outside the rules.

SOS has done an admirable job but the time has come for him to move on. He has a conflict with 2 sons at the club and another possible in a year or so. Let his sons control their own destiny now. Perhaps that's how he recognises the situation.
We have people in place who have been under his tutelage. It's time to let them grow and develop.
I see the future as exciting and an opportunity. If anyone chooses not to be involved or to create instability, IMHO, it's your loss.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next